Copa Oro aka Gold Cup

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I only follow USA from a distance nowadays (I used to watch a lot of MLS over here in the UK but don't get to see much nowadays).

Do USA have a good MLS based manager they could have appointed instead of Berhalter, or would they have to go down the foreign route?

I'd love USA to really kick on and was hoping this talented generation was the start of something. It's a shame if they haven't got a manager capable of getting the best out of them?
Our best manager actually coaches in Germany. Jesse Marsch at Leipzig.

edcunited1878

Nope. Even if they did I would say hell no. The US Soccer/MLS cabal is holding us back.

the best American coach is probably Marsch, but there is no way he leaves RBL. The US was never going to higher anyone else but GB. I mean, one of the people involved in the hire was also named Berhalter!!
Caleb Porter is a good manager for MLS, but agree. Zero American managers that are on par with the actual 23 players who would make up the best USMNT squad. Majority are European based players with only five MLS based players probably worthy of a squad place, but shouldn't be starting. Marsch is a product of the Red Bull football program, but he's not leaving that as you mentioned. Whenever he leaves, he must be a serious contender for USMNT manager.

Bertie Wooster

Nope. Even if they did I would say hell no. The US Soccer/MLS cabal is holding us back.

the best American coach is probably Marsch, but there is no way he leaves RBL. The US was never going to higher anyone else but GB. I mean, one of the people involved in the hire was also named Berhalter!!
:lol:

That reminds me of when Hearts (in Scotland) were looking for a new manager and Craig Levein, their Director of Football, was given the job of interviewing applicants and choosing one - and the new manager ended up being... Craig Levein. :houllier:

It's a shame to hear about the coaching / political situation. From afar it was looking promising with all the talented youngsters.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I fecking love Hoppe. He is the biggest irrational (but backs it up) confidence guy the US has ever had with the exception of the ultimate boss Dempsey.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
:lol:

That reminds me of when Hearts (in Scotland) were looking for a new manager and Craig Levein, their Director of Football, was given the job of interviewing applicants and choosing one - and the new manager ended up being... Craig Levein. :houllier:

It's a shame to hear about the coaching / political situation. From afar it was looking promising with all the talented youngsters.
This is the frustrating part. This is the best generation we have ever had. EVER! And there are more on the way. Instead of getting a progressive, innovative coach we get Ole’s very, very poor American cousin.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If this ends up a US win it needs to be Gio and Zardes starting up front with Hoppe

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Finals is more than I thought would happen.

Get it done Canada eh!!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I am literally laughing right now. It might be the (lots of) whiskey, but this team has no business winning anything.

United in sin

For the last 20, but the first 60 was all Qatar
I started the game in the second half and I saw more US possession and intensity. Qartar looked labored with their poor long balls and pragmatism

Enjoy your whiskey! It's a celebration!!!

Bertie Wooster

Congratulations to USA. :)

Hopefully the final will be against Canada. Either way, it'll be a big match and one not too lose.

edcunited1878

That was exciting, glad they got through to the Final...assuming it should be against Mexico, just like tournament organizers hoped for.

edcunited1878

Shithousery after Mexico scores after the 95th minute of 7. Play was stopped for a few minutes due to the crowd chanting puto or culo during a Canadian goal kick.

jimorrison

Shithousery after Mexico scores after the 95th minute of 7. Play was stopped for a few minutes due to the crowd chanting puto or culo during a Canadian goal kick.
Actually they stopped the match because of the chant for 5 minutes. Then play resumed and Mexico scored the 2nd goal as you stated in extra time that was added by the ref.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Actually they stopped the match because of the chant for 5 minutes. Then play resumed and Mexico scored the 2nd goal as you stated in extra time that was added by the ref.
until they get serious and actually do something meaningful (like kick them out of the tournament) the Mexico fans will not stop this.

jimorrison

until they get serious and actually do something meaningful (like kick them out of the tournament) the Mexico fans will not stop this.
Why should they stop ? Their is freedom of speech in American stadiums plus the chant itself isn't homophobic. It's like bitch or gay have two meanings so does pluto in Spanish.

Plus fifa is being a hypocrite they fine the Mexican federation for fans yelling a so called homophobic chant yet they rewarded a homophobic country a world cup such as Russia and now Quatar.

I agree that they should stop but they're not going to , the more they tell them not to do it the more they are going to do it.The simple solution is for Mexico to play without it's fans but obviously the concacaf directors don't want to loose all the money they make on ticket sales.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Why should they stop ? Their is freedom of speech in American stadiums plus the chant itself isn't homophobic. It's like bitch or gay have two meanings so does puto in Spanish.

Plus fifa is being a hypocrite they fine the Mexican federation for fans yelling a so called homophobic chant yet they rewarded a homophobic country a world cup such as Russia and now Quatar.

I agree that they should stop but they're not going to , the more they tell them not to do it the more they are going to do it.The simple solution is for Mexico to play without it's fans but obviously the concacaf directors don't want to loose all the money they make on ticket sales.
No there isn't, at least not in the way you are inferring.

Edit: Crap, sorry. Clicked submit on accident.

Also, no buying the "has two meanings" argument. If an American was screaming "gay" at Mexican players I am going to take a guess he would not be wishing happiness on that player. Context defines meaning when words have multiple definitions.

Pretty much completely agree with you on hypocrisy and CONCACAF greed though.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Why should they stop ? Their is freedom of speech in American stadiums plus the chant itself isn't homophobic. It's like bitch or gay have two meanings so does puto in Spanish.

Thats actually not true, a few years ago it was on EVERY goal kick the opposing goalie made, not just on the national team games but also on the mexican league. Now there are games when it doesnt happen even once and when it does its just a couple of times. And yes, the team should be punished one way or another if it keeps happening.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Thats actually not true, a few years ago it was on EVERY goal kick the opposing goalie made, not just on the national team games but also on the mexican league. Now there are games when it doesnt happen even once and when it does its just a couple of times. And yes, the team should be punished one way or another if it keeps happening.
Yeah, I saw a friendly between Mexico and Ivory Coast(?) in London in the Fulham stadium in 2008(?). We were seated between the Mexico fans behind one of the goals and they did the 'wooooooo puto!' thing every single time Ivory Coast had a goal kick on our end. It was obviously meant as an insult intended to upset the goalkeeper, no two ways about it.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Freedom of Speech only applies to the government trying to tell you what you can or cannot say about the government if it is true. Any private event can lay out and enforce what is not acceptable and if you go against their policy you can be removed or arrested for criminal trespass.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
How many delays do you think Mexico fans will cause with their homophobic chant tonight?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Im on my 6th wtf in just 20 minutes. I have hopes…. but just hopeful

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
i have had too much whiskey and am here purely for the laughs. The difference in talent is a canyon, so I’ll be laughing if we beat Mexico or be laughing at GB’s incompetent roster selection.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If Mexico can’t beat this US team they should just admit they are the second best team in the region.