Coronavirus in football

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There is so much uncertainty around its impact that people just assume it's not that serious (hope for the best kinda mindset). At a high level like european pro football, it can make a difference.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

So only Liverpool and the south coast teams will have fans over Christmas?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Well it was fun while it lasted, it seems like the Government were trying their hardest to appease London. No wonder people in the North seem to dislike London.

Real Name

Cities in the south going into tier 4 from Boxing day. Only Liverpool and Everton can have attendance.

prateik

Is football classed as "essential" ?
If the whole country goes into Tier 4 with no movement allowed, will all the football league clubs (not just Premier league) be allowed to travel all over the country every few days?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If the whole country goes into Tier 4 with no movement allowed, will all the football league clubs (not just Premier league) be allowed to travel all over the country every few days?
It will carry on because they have the appropriate measures to protect the players, just like filming of soaps/TV will carry on as per (because they have the appropriate measures).

Worse case scenario is that players will go into a world cup style camp/bubble during the lockdown phase.

rotherham_red

Would have to think that's screwed the fixtures for City now. Ten days isolation means their games v Everton, Chelsea and us are going to have to be postponed, at a minimum.

If the league keep their precedent from the spurs v Leyton Orient game, then shouldn't we be getting a bye to the final?

Pep's Suit

Would have to think that's screwed the fixtures for City now. Ten days isolation means their games v Everton, Chelsea and us are going to have to be postponed, at a minimum.

If the league keep their precedent from the spurs v Leyton Orient game, then shouldn't we be getting a bye to the final?
If more players have positive tests in next days (first Mendy, Walker and today allegedly Ederson, Cancelo, Torres and 1 more) then I'd expect these games to be rescheduled, no?

NYAS

I don’t see how the authorities can justify a postponement of the semi. Either City have enough fit players to play, or we get a bye given the Leyton Orient precedent. Take them to court if it gets postponed.

cyberman

I don’t see how the authorities can justify a postponement of the semi. Either City have enough fit players to play, or we get a bye given the Leyton Orient precedent. Take them to court if it gets postponed.
Spurs got a bye simply because there wasnt any date they could reschedule to. With the final pushed back so far, they can easily just postpone our game. .

NYAS

Spurs got a bye simply because there wasnt any date they could reschedule to. With the final pushed back so far, they can easily just postpone our game. .
That smells like BS. So a competition’s rules change depending on which point of the season your squad comes down with Covid? Sounds fair.

lysglimt

Scout
Clearly we should win this game....in fact we should refuse to play it

Guy Incognito

Surely United would get a walkover if City can't play the semi?

I do fear the EFL will shift the dates like they already have done with the final.

The fixture pileups, Jose is going to lose his mind. :lol:

cyberman

That smells like BS. So a competition’s rules change depending on which point of the season your squad comes down with Covid? Sounds fair.
Spurs had a game every two and a half days or something supid back then. I think lower league clubs did as well? That game might not have been played for another 2 rounds in and then the whole thing is fecked.

Cpt Negative

Rules are clear. It will be rearranged.

United, along with City and Everton had the least rest over the Christmas period, now it’s just United with the biggest pile up.

Adding that Liverpool are allowed fans in, it’s not really a level playing field at present

redshaw

It will carry on until hospitals are really pushed and medical staff can't attend games. I think we're getting close to that in some parts of the country and it will also be seen as bad form if they continue to try keeping elite sport going. The situation in the south of England could see the league stopped soon no matter what covid free bubbles they have.

NYAS

Spurs had a game every two and a half days or something supid back then. I think lower league clubs did as well? That game might not have been played for another 2 rounds in and then the whole thing is fecked.
Yes I’m aware how busy it was back then but what’s the point of playing a competition if integrity is going to come second to scheduling?

NYAS

United, along with City and Everton had the least rest over the Christmas period, now it’s just United with the biggest pile up.

Adding that Liverpool are allowed fans in, it’s not really a level playing field at present
Where are the clear rules? Could you show me?

Also, were those rules not in place when Spurs got a bye?

lysglimt

Scout
Well if they aren't getting kicked out I hope we get to play it, we don't need another fixture for the pileup.
Would you really want United to go anywhere near City with 7 players out with Corona-virus ?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The club said their squad and associated bubble will have testing before a decision is made whether to resume training.

From BBC re City

El Zoido

It’s not necessarily a bonus to City if half their squad has covid. It could affect their performance levels more than playing every 3 days.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Call our game with them off, it actually suits us to have a less congested period now even it means having to slot it in somewhere else.

Cpt Negative

Where are the clear rules? Could you show me?

Also, were those rules not in place when Spurs got a bye?
I’m not sure how to post Twitter links on here, but if you look for a guy called Ben Jacobs @jacobsben he has posted it.

basically, rounds 1-4 has a rule to say postponement meant forfeit, round 5 onwards allows for a rearranged dates.

Cpt Negative

It’s not necessarily a bonus to City if half their squad has covid. It could affect their performance levels more than playing every 3 days.
It depends which players doesn’t it. If it’s fringe players only, then yes, it’s a massive bonus for them.

cyberman

Yes I’m aware how busy it was back then but what’s the point of playing a competition if integrity is going to come second to scheduling?
But there is no integrity in playing 2 games in 2 days or whatever was needed back then?
Its just a shit sitaution

NYAS

I’m not sure how to post Twitter links on here, but if you look for a guy called Ben Jacobs @jacobsben he has posted it.

basically, rounds 1-4 has a rule to say postponement meant forfeit, round 5 onwards allows for a rearranged dates.
Thanks, I’ll check it out

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don’t see how our game gets postponed. They can surely put a team out? The reserves are in a separate bubble. How many players missing constitutes that they can just call it off?
Exactly this. Unless it's like 10 players or something I can't see how it'll be called off.

SER19

If Everton have 6 senior players injured on the reschedule can they ask for it to be replayed? Obviously not. Different crowd numbers, different rules for different squad damages, extra rest for 1 club over Xmas (Liverpool)

No corruption but real shambolic stuff