Coronavirus in football

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I guess the trouble with suspending for a week is you allow the clubs that have outbreaks to get it under control but risk the ones that do have it under control to develop outbreaks there. Let's be honest, the players aren't going to isolate themselves from friends, family, children etc and nor should they be expected to. Then if it restarts how do you say it's fair to not postpone again if the other clubs develop outbreaks there. It's a mess but they will muddle through it somehow.

cyberman

Suspend till Boxing Day and reduce attendances. Has to happen.
And when the teams that aren’t affected now becomes affected then? Unless every club sets out to give covid to their staff over two weeks then I can’t see what a break does

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I wonder how they’ll deal with it this time. Postponing until enough people have their boosters and the cases come under control seems flawed. That could be 6-8 weeks and even then the cases will remain high for months with society open and a lot of players aren’t vaccinated. Plus when do they play the postponed fixtures?

The league may have to impose lockdown like restrictions on the players. But if they do that, it will supposedly be in the best interest of the players health. What about the sold out attendances and how that impacts on fan health? Plus whilst the rest of society is open players will just catch it, even if it doesn’t rip through squads.

They should suspend until Boxing Day and ask all players to isolate. From then on, they need to impose restrictions on players lives and get those who are vaccinated boosters. If that doesn’t work, feck knows.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Playing into middle of June at this point looks a reasonable assumption I'd say.

Spurs schedule from start of Jan is going to ridiculous, pretty much looking at every single midweek having to be used if season won't be extended.

Who knows what will happen but football won't be cancelled for three months bar a complete overaction so been through worse in recent times.

Schmeichel=God

We'd be getting blamed for that if the game went ahead.

Anyway, just shows how quick this variant can spread even with the vaccines, I think Frank is right we need to reevaluate things and hold off for while. Everyone has gotten very lax. I was at a theater recently, all the vaccinated were climbing over each other at the bar before the show, all talking loudly while drinking in large huddles and then again at the interval and afterwards, no masks in sight, they've been sold it was a out and believe they can't spread it but the vaccines only reduce it a little plus people don't seem to realize we've had the Kent variant which spread more, then Delta which was more again and now omicron so any vaccinated person will probably be spreading it around double the original.
Haven't they just.

I remember it well: "I just want to get back to normal"

massi83

Playing into middle of June at this point looks a reasonable assumption I'd say.

Spurs schedule from start of Jan is going to ridiculous, pretty much looking at every single midweek having to be used if season won't be extended.

Who knows what will happen but football won't be cancelled for three months bar a complete overaction so been through worse in recent times.
3-4 games isn't that much if they don't continue in Europe.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What good would reducing attendances do on player cases?
If he bring full blown social distancing back in they will have no choice but to reduce attendances. Players will need to go into strict bubbles again and mask wearing has to be enforced by players and fans. People have become blase about everything.

Ixion

If there is no official lockdown and reduced mingling among the general population I don't see how the cases are going to go down among players unless they practically live at the training ground. So they dont play for a couple of weeks, they'd still be getting positive tests then too.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If there is no official lockdown and reduced mingling among the general population I don't see how the cases are going to go down among players unless they practically live at the training ground. So they dont play for a couple of weeks, they'd still be getting positive tests then too.
Not a bad idea, the players can get used to Rangnick's methods quicker. :devil:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So you think they’re catching it from the fans during the game?
Are you daft? Reducing attendance at games / having no attendance will reduce the spread among fans which in turn will reduce the spread amongst the general population which the players are part of.

Offside

Absolutely this is the issue. The acceleration of the booster programme may start to make the hospitalisation projections look better but even then cases might not start to come down for weeks.

Offside

Are you daft? Reducing attendance at games / having no attendance will reduce the spread among fans which in turn will reduce the spread amongst the general population which the players are part of.
Are you daft? That’s no good when everything else is open. Won’t make the slightest bit of difference when all indoor events and pubs and restaurants are still open. That’s where the spread will be happening rather than in the stadiums. The idea that closing the stadiums will have such an impact on the general spread of the virus that players stop contracting it is hilarious.

If we’re talking about a full lockdown that includes stadiums, that’s exactly what stopped the problem last year in the PL. The Tories aren’t doing that though and if they do resort to it it won’t be for weeks.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Are you daft? That’s no good when everything else is open. Won’t make the slightest bit of difference when all indoor events and pubs and restaurants are still open. That’s where the spread will be happening rather than in the stadiums. The idea that closing the stadiums will have such an impact on the general spread of the virus that players stop contracting it is hilarious.
Well, it's a good job I didn't say that we should just reduce attendances isn't it? Reducing / closing all of those would help and should potentially happen if it keeps on going the way it is. It's not about stopping players contracting it either as we know players will continue to, it's about reducing that possibility as much as possible and obviously in it's current state that's not happening.

Offside

Well, it's a good job I didn't say that we should just reduce attendances isn't it? L
Urm no you didn’t but the guy I was replying to did. You’re spot on about the rest but unlike last year a lockdown isn’t imminent. If it does happen it won’t be until the new year.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Urm no you didn’t but the guy I was replying to did…
In general terms they should but if they want the premier league to keep going it might have to be as strict as it was last year with no fans with players in bubbles. Considering pretty much nobody wears masks to grounds either then the spread is only going to get worse amongst everyone else. I was being kind of vague but I don’t really see how the premier league can even continue at this rate. Postponements every game day will leave an impossible backlog.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Urm no you didn’t but the guy I was replying to did. You’re spot on about the rest but unlike last year a lockdown isn’t imminent. If it does happen it won’t be until the new year.
That's fair.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Obviously I am biased as an Everton fan with multiple injuries stacking up at the club but the consideration of fairness needs to be looked at with an injury crisis / covid postponements too. Especially in the case of clubs like Leicester or Chelsea where they're battling both.

The fans too - people are going to be travelling to covid hotspots. Obviously that is up to them risking it but still...

Last edited:

This is becoming ridiculous. Games getting called off with 6 hours notice, long after some fans will have started their journeys. They need to either make the decisions earlier or postpone the league for a couple of weeks.

I've got Brighton tickets and could do with knowing before I board a flight and a train.

The Purley King

They need to suspend the league - this is ridiculous
I agree, its the only fair way. Have to feel sorry for Brighton who wanted their game called off but didn't get it whilst others get the postponement.
Omicron situation will get a lot lot worse before it gets better, so its going to happen eventually anyway.

peridigm

What good would reducing attendances do on player cases?
Players have lives outside of football. They meetup with friends, family, go out, etc... especially youth players. Those are the same people collecting in mass at stadiums every week. It would definitely help.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Obviously I am biased as an Everton fan with multiple injuries stacking up at the club but the consideration of fairness needs to be looked at with an injury crisis / covid postponements too. Especially in the case of clubs like Leicester or Chelsea where they're battling both.
I thought this too. Chelsea would absolutely benefit from a couple of weeks of no football. There's no way around it though. It's just a blessing in disguise that can't be helped.

Hypothetically, what would a potential workaround look like? Look at the currently injured players projected return at the point of suspension and have those players sit out that amount of time when the league restarts?

cabbs1989

Absolutely gutted that it seems lots of games will be postponed, football is such. Big part of my life & I rely upon it so much to help with my mental health, I hope things get sorted quickly, it will suck without fans but it’s something

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Been saying for a few weeks that this would happen to my friends. It was inevitable. Sounds like teams relaxed their COVID measures compared to how they controlled things a few months ago. It looks as if the teams reintroduced stricter testing too late.

PL definitely needs a circuitbreaker. I actually think there should be a nationwide circuitbreaker, but it’s not going to happen before Christmas/NYE because no one will listen but I think football can definitely do it.

Ixion

Didn't they say cases will rise until mid January or something with this new variant? You'd need to cancel football until then if you want players to also stop returning positive cases.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

The fans too - people are going to be travelling to covid hotspots. Obviously that is up to them risking it but still...
Yep. Everton will get the same points whether games are on or off
But in seriousness, games called off on the lunchtime of the fixture are making this farcical now. Especially unlike last season being travelling fans to think of.

Offside

Didn't they say cases will rise until mid January or something with this new variant? You'd need to cancel football until then if you want players to also stop returning positive cases.
Yep and even if the government hits their target with the booster jab, it won’t be until mid-January that the cases start to fall. And the numbers are going to smash records.

Ixion

I think I'd ban supporters at grounds till cases start to fall and just make teams cobble together squads with first & youth players that have negative tests. You'll get some topsy turvy results but a weekend or 2 off is just delaying things.