Could Ronaldo leave in the Summer to play CL football?

captaincantona

Ronaldo has kept us in the Champions League so far. And even if we lose to Villareal we can still qualify if we beat Young Boys in Old Trafford.
I never said he didn’t...I said we may still go out so it’s a bit premature and that even if we qualify- we should qualify...we have a vastly superior squad to any team in that group. It’s not an achievement- it should be a given. I also said it doesn’t count for anything because in the broader context the team is not performing at all. That’s a problem that needs to be addressed and in addressing that problem one needs to ask whether or not we would need to be bailed out so often if we used our options better.

Nordmore

I don’t think he can start as a winger in a big game either.
That I don't know because I haven't seen that yet. Theoretically a winger is usually far less crucial than a #9 in how a team play, especially off the ball. That's why he's been used as a LW in most of his career I think.

Spoony

The People's President
Ronaldo is a part of the problem, he's another passenger, if we had a properly functioning team then it wouldn't be an issue. He was bought by the board, I wonder many signings were actually made by Ole.

Bestietom

I never said he didn’t...I said we may still go out so it’s a bit premature and that even if we qualify- we should qualify...we have a vastly superior squad to any team in that group. It’s not an achievement- it should be a given. I also said it doesn’t count for anything because in the broader context the team is not performing at all. That’s a problem that needs to be addressed and in addressing that problem one needs to ask whether or not we would need to be bailed out so often if we used our options better.
There is big questions to be asked and answered.
Why did we buy VdB
Why did we buy Sancho
Why did we bring back Ronaldo when we already had Cavani
Why did we not bring in a defensive midfielder.

All these questions has to be asked and answered. We have players who are now asking to leave this great club.
We need to get all these things RIGHT before we even think about winning the Premiership or Champons League.
The manager and coaches has to take a lot of the blame for this, and need to be changed before more players want out and top players won't want to come here anymore.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
How can you say he's not an instant hit? He is our top goalscorer. Without him we would already be in the Europa League or worse
Like I said, if we weren't playing so shit and delivered more chances for him his numbers might be even higher. Him being the instant hit probably isn't the right way of putting it, I meant more about if the team including him were better we wouldn't be worrying about this sort of stuff.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I don’t think it matters. Ronaldo will do what’s best for Ronaldo. If that means moving on to a better club at the age of 37, this one only has itself to blame. The only way up for him last time was Real Madrid. Next year there could be 32 ways.

He won’t be the only player who wants to leave. That’s the cost of missing out.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me he is showing me he was always the GOAT, performing at the age of 37 in the hardest league aswell etc.

However, just because he is scoring our one and only goals doesn't really mean we are a better team because of it.

It's just what Ruud Van Nistlerooy would have been in between the younger players like Rooney, C Ronaldo, Tevez and Nani - the goals would be scored by Ruud but the team would be playing a more basic type of football because of it/ capable of.

It's ultimately Ole's managerial inability to pick who he wants to get the best out of - because different players need different tactics and Ole seems just only have one for all.

Ronaldo will ultimately leave if we don't get Champions League this season, Ole gets sacked - and then the next manager will have an easier job than they realise when it comes to the forward line.

Managing a forward line of Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Amad, Martial, Cavani, Bruno Fernandes, some of the youngsters like Elanga - with the ability to go buy a potential striker of your choice since Ronaldo has left (maybe even Cavani or Martial) is going to be tactically easier than trying to balance the forward line we see right now this season as seen with us playing 352 with our inverted forwards on the bench and even rumours of Sancho as a RWB.

KeanoMagicHat

If Ronaldo leaves after we don’t get CL it will be best for both parties. It would have meant that we went from being a top 4 team for two seasons to not one, after he played every game. So add it all together and it would mean our team got significantly worse after he arrived, not better. So it would suit United at that point to get rid and move on also.

Infra-red

Ronaldo, Cavani and Pogba all leaving in the same summer (a summer in which we also finish outside the top 4), would be quite something, but it does appear to be on the cards.

You'd expect VdB, Henderson, Telles, Bailly and a few others to depart as well. Could be a big upheaval for the club, particularly if the manager goes, too. Perhaps it would be for the best, though - this team isn't young and it has been built to win now rather than in the future - if they can't even make top 4 then it would be a pretty damming indictment and a clear sign that the 'Solskjaer project' has failed and therefore needs to been torn down.

Hammondo

See our games. There is a myth that likes of greenwood etc are now feeding Ronaldo which is costing them goals. It has not been the case. Our attack has been acting very selfishly and if they did just feed Ronaldo more we could win more games.

Anyway, our issue is defense and midfield and a clueless manager.
Thats because we use CFs are wide players.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'd take him at Chelsea for a season.

Hammondo

Yes that's correct. It's not about Ronaldo being there.
Ronaldo has top level movement off of the ball, but we do not have the players to use it properly.

Don't get me wrong, his work defensively is criminal, but his other work is world class.

TheLord

Buy what out? If he wants to leave he will leave and it will be for a minimal fee. His CL record alone guarantees so many suitors
And why should United let him leave for a minimal fee? He has a two-year contract to honour, unless there was a clause about allowing to leave if there's no CL qualification.

He cost United a fortune for a 37-year old.