Could Ronaldo leave in the Summer to play CL football?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Serious question.

The guy is 37, a born and driven winner. He doesn’t belong in the fecking EL, and with limited time in his career left he would be mad to settle for it.

If the Utd board continue this bizarre dithering act with Solskjaer and top 4 inevitably is lost, will Ronaldo go? What say you lot.

el3mel

Ronaldo cares only about himself. Always has been always will be, so yes if we didn't qualify to CL next season, he would leave.

We'll probably end up in top 4 though, as ultimately we have more quality than Spurs, WHU or Arsenal.

Jev

He has a two-year deal, right? I doubt anyone would pay a fee for a 37-year-old that would tempt us to sell so no.

laughtersassassin

If we finish outside of CL and waste the entire season with Ole I WANT Ronaldo to leave.

The club would deserve every but of the embarrassment that would come with it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Of course. I think he'd rather retire than play Europa with United. But he'll tell them he's off and that'll be that. They don't want him unhappy at the club.

lemmiwink

At 37, provided his wages stay at current level, I don’t see any CL-clubs going for him even if he is an exeptional goal scorer.

Ronaldo at this stage of his career is like the ultimate luxury player. If you got a good, solid team that can provide assists, he will absolutely score goals. The downside for him is those kind of CL teams already have a main striker.

I see him staying regardless of how we do this season.

Reactions: Invictus

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
The thing is aside from like clubs who are just happy to be in the CL. Not any of the clubs out there would be interested in buying a 37 year old player that is serious about winning the CL. People who seriously believe that City wants Ronaldo has no understanding how Pep plays his team.

Madrid would rather spend money on Halland or Mbappe.
Bayern already has Lewandowski and why disrupt a team that is already perfectly functioning.
He does not fit the philosophy of how Dortmund, Barcelona, Liverpool and Ajax play (same as City).
Chelsea maybe(?) but what about Lukaku?
PSG is possible but they need to offload some of the players if they are planning to make a move.

So where is he going to go?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I wouldn’t worry about the Europa League, with the form we’ve been in recently we won’t finish high enough to be in it. :lol:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He will and he should. We are a fecking embarrassment and Ronaldo leaving will only prove that. There isn't a better way to teach the owners a lesson.

People are taking things for granted. Top 4 isn't a sure thing anymore.

Zoo

If he does who cares. This isn’t criticism of Ronaldo - he’s done all he can this season, but we have enough good players with or without him.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
He might have a clause in his contract about this. 100% he will leave regardless if it happends

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No surprise with this story. The only surprise is it coming out as early as a week into November.
That shows how turd we've been.

Can only hope that after we get the next few games out of the way we get at least back into last year's winning habit against the crapper teams and scrape that 4th place against some even worse sides

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Where would he actually go?
Opportunities arise for players like Ronaldo, mate.

This ‘scarcity mindset’ that has been cultivated at Utd in recent years (‘no managers are available’ etc) is illusory - it isn’t a reality within football in the wider sense.

If Ronaldo wants to play in the CL, he will do.

Someone

Something
I'm happy with Ronaldo but won't be bothered if he leaves in the summer. He isn't in our long term plans, and if we fail to get top 4 him leaving will be the least of our problems.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Someone would have to pay a fee and probably match his (£600k a week?) wages. I'd guess not.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Where would he actually go?
I can't see a big CL club going for him.

Juventus just sold him
Real Madrid - NOPE, he left in bad terms with Florentino
Bayern Munich - NOPE, they already have Lewandowski, plus they aren't a team that buy shiny toys just to sell more t-shirts
PSG - NOPE , at least while Messi and Neymar are there
Atlético - they already have Suárez
Manchester City - I doubt Pep want him

I really can see him going to Inter or AC Milan, IF he lower his insane wage numbers.

Flytan

I hope he does. I'm not even a Ronaldo fan but some of our players didn't sign up to play for such an awfully run club. Manager and board both are just sad. Hope those who want to leave and actually better themselves as players/careers are given the chance.

el3mel

I can't see a big CL club going for him.

Juventus just sold him
Real Madrid - NOPE, he left in bad terms with Florentino
Bayern Munich - NOPE, they already have Lewandowski, plus they aren't a team that buy shiny toys just to sell more t-shirts
PSG - NOPE , at least while Messi and Neymar are there
Atlético - they already have Suárez
Manchester City - I doubt Pep want him

I really can see him going to Inter or AC Milan, IF he lower his insane wage numbers.
PSG can sell Mbappe to Real Madrid and get Ronaldo.

DutchCruijff

And go where exactly?

La Liga? Madrid won't have him back.

Serie A? To who? Juventus? Inter? Napoli? No chance.

Ligue 1? PSG? They've passed up on him already this summer. They have Neymar and Messi + Di Maria, they won't want him.

Bundesliga? Bayern? Not a chance.

Premier League? Won't be sold to anyone else.

So who is he going to leave United for? I can only see potentially Atletico Madrid under Simeone, that's it. But Simeone wouldn't be interested in his brand of football and vice versa + little UCL hopes + causes massive issues with being a Madrid legend.

DutchCruijff

Going to Inter or Milan is futile. They'll be nowhere near the UCL.

Best thing for him is to stay at United for another 2 years and try to see the project through. That or PSG have a change of heart.

AndySmith1990

Never mind top 4. Our club have no ambition to win trophies. With that in mind I have absolutely no ill feeling towards any player who chooses to leave us and seek trophies elsewhere.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
The thing is aside from like clubs who are just happy to be in the CL. Not any of the clubs out there would be interested in buying a 37 year old player that is serious about winning the CL. People who seriously believe that City wants Ronaldo has no understanding how Pep plays his team.

Bayern already has Lewandowski and why disrupt a team that is already perfectly functioning.
He does not fit the philosophy of how Dortmund, Barcelona, Liverpool and Ajax play (same as City).
PSG is possible but they need to offload some of the players if they are planning to make a move.

United in sin

Ronaldo cares only about himself. Always has been always will be, so yes if we didn't qualify to CL next season, he would leave.

We'll probably end up in top 4 though, as ultimately we have more quality than Spurs, WHU or Arsenal.
I agree. I feel he only joined us because Ferguson implored him to at the last minute. He was of course in 11th hour talks with City before joining us. I wonder why that's not talked about much.

This wasn't the emotional 'homecoming' to him that it is to many United supporters. He will definitely find a way out if we fail to secure CL. He couldn't wait to leave Juventus when he got bored there and he never endeared himself to most of his teammates. England is however the place to be right now, hence why he (through Mendes) sought out city in the first place

the_cliff

Ronaldo won't find another UCL team don't you worry. He'll be here next season, hopefully we don't extend his contract though.

choccy77

Serious question.

The guy is 37, a born and driven winner. He doesn’t belong in the fecking EL, and with limited time in his career left he would be mad to settle for it.

If the Utd board continue this bizarre dithering act with Solskjaer and top 4 inevitably is lost, will Ronaldo go? What say you lot.
This was already a subject yesterday morning in the news and mentioned in other threads, not sure a thread is worthwhile.

Josh 76

I'm happy with Ronaldo but won't be bothered if he leaves in the summer. He isn't in our long term plans, and if we fail to get top 4 him leaving will be the least of our problems.
Totally agree

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Doubt it.

But if he did, it wouldn't be the end of the world. With Cavani likely going as well and Martial surplus to requirements we'll likely sign a first choice CF in the summer anyway. And for all that he has been excellent so far, he has obvious flaws that a new signing might not have. And on top of that, he was never going to be a long term option anyway given his age.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town

Newcastle Utd. ?

Or perhaps a USA team - maybe David Beckham's franchise?

I realise that both of these would be the end of the road as regards the CL, but he is 37 & if he wanted one last big pay-cheque....

Look-a-Hill

Maybe he wants to play in the Europa League and he's orchestrating this tank in performance. Like those people who buy naff Playstation games just to boost their Platinum trophies. He'd be competition top scorer after half the group games.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Ronaldo already has 5 CLs. It’s old news for him and he needs a new challenge. He’s never won the EL before and this may be his best chance to do so. Messi on the other hand isn’t even close to winning that trophy.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I love Ronaldo, but everyone expected him to come and be an instant hit. He probably would have been if we weren't so shit as a team right now. He's a very short term solution, even if he somehow keeps going for another three or four years. I know everyone says "Ronnie is different" but eventually those joints are going to go and it won't matter how many times he takes his shirt off after that happens.

I'd hope in that situation he would stay and help us win the Premier League one last time, but until the mess the club is in gets sorted that's nearly impossible. It would make for a better legendary story than "Messi wins CL with PSG, as expected." He's already adored here, so if even if we say that he's selfish there's a lot of appeal to stay here and keep getting treated like a god.

As others have said; would he trade staying at a United who were domestically ambitious for a team that, although they would be in the CL, don't have much hope of winning it?

tomaldinho1

Go on, which team would be in for him ?
If he’s allowed to leave and would take a pay cut, any club without financial issues. Unless he’s got a clause in his contract though, he’d have to buy himself out.