Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Member 101269

I think it's very clear 99.9% of people (and that's an at best estimate) don't want a void for moral reasons. United fans want to laugh at Liverpool and Spurs/Arsenal fans want to escape their horror season's with criminally undeserved CL football.

Tbh it's well more than Liverpool, they're still overwhelming favorite's next season regardless so in the grand scheme of things it won't affect them THAT badly, if anything it will make the worst one's even more insufferable when they finally do it.. However look at Sheffield United for example, their league finish will probably dictate their long term future so they deserve a chance to play out the season and attempt to grab CL football which is in their hands.
You provide information about a professor that turned out to be false. If you believe 99.9% of people want the league to continue on moral grounds.. prove it.. I’m questioning whether youre a wum

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Agreed 100% The league should only be restarted when it is safe to do so. Even if it takes 3-6 months or more. In reality It should only be domestic games for the next 12/18 months. Maybe Euro 20/21 could be the restart of European players playing against each other again? For the 20/21 season they should scrap the League Cup and Community Shield. If they do think it's achievable to play Champions and Europa League games, start it in January? Play extra league games in the midweek slots and International break slots also
So we cancel two seasons of European competitions just to let Liverpool play out the rest of this league campaign? Without European places to fight for, the vast majority of teams wouldn't even have anything to play for in the rest of this league season.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with Liverpool being the only team that could win the PL title this season but already knocked out of the Champions League.

Last edited:

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
You need to come to terms with the fact it's very unlikely the league will resume and it seems odds on it will be scrapped.
So we cancel two seasons of European competitions just to let Liverpool play out the rest of this league campaign? Without European places to fight for, the vast majority of teams wouldn't even have anything to play for in the rest of this league season.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with Liverpool being the only team that could win the PL title this season but already knocked out of the Champions League.
I think it will prove too costly to scrap the league. I think the most likely option is that it will finish behind closed doors now.

It's not just about Liverpool just because I'm a Liverpool fan! From a financial point of view it's more about Leeds and West Brom and the clubs going down and up etc.

I love watching Champions League football, especially now that Liverpool are one of the most likely winners (obviously not this season) and if it's safe to do so then play it next year. As I pointed out, you could delay the start of it to allow all European countries a chance to fully recover and for it to be safe to travel. That is my main concern, the safety.

It's bizarre how people think that only Liverpool fans want the league to restart when Liverpool are the only team who's finishing position is pretty certain! The other 19 spaces could be filled by any number of teams, do people not want to know how it ends?

K_Ash

How many WC22 's stadiums are ready in Qatar? What about the facilities (accommodations...)?
With the low number of C-19 down there:
Let's take all the 20 EPL teams down there. End the season there, playing in the morning and at night with Massive Air conditioners
2 weeks of Training Camp and a 5-week season playing every 4 days...
In "empty stadiums"

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think it will prove too costly to scrap the league. I think the most likely option is that it will finish behind closed doors now.

It's not just about Liverpool just because I'm a Liverpool fan! From a financial point of view it's more about Leeds and West Brom and the clubs going down and up etc.

I love watching Champions League football, especially now that Liverpool are one of the most likely winners (obviously not this season) and if it's safe to do so then play it next year. As I pointed out, you could delay the start of it to allow all European countries a chance to fully recover and for it to be safe to travel. That is my main concern, the safety.

It's bizarre how people think that only Liverpool fans want the league to restart when Liverpool are the only team who's finishing position is pretty certain! The other 19 spaces could be filled by any number of teams, do people not want to know how it ends?
It's almost as if you Liverpool fans are stuck in a bubble, unable to comprehend the idea of the current season not being completed. Like a mental block or something.

My advice is to start making mental preparations for the absolute worst-case scenario. We may not see football again for a very long time.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

If the season goes past June 30th, it becomes incredibly difficult all round.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

A season of CL, or even two, would cost the big hitter teams a lot more than curtailing the end of this domestic season. The PL is unique in its financial power, the rest of the big European teams pull their main finances out of the CL. No way are they allowing that to be cancelled more than this season in order to save their league seasons.

Further, this £750m figure being banded about for the PL is nonsense. A far more likely scenario is that Sky/BT pull 25%. They are not going to pull the full amount as to do so will have serious implications for their biggest cash cow, why would they do that? It would be a prime example of being penny wise and pound foolish if they pulled the full amount in the medium to long term. Further, the current situation for them benefits them as more people have been signing up for services and spending on their platforms. The only concessions that they have given are a freeze on their sports products other than that they are booming.

As for logistics of the CL that could be admittedly be an issue. However, an easy way around that is to regionalise the groups next season so no team has to travel far so they could do their trips by road/train.

Redcy

Yet there is literally no plan for sorting out the other 3 leagues, the only plan at all is for the PL, frankly they couldnt afford to do it for the other clubs. So this is not about the integrity of the league its all about the lost revenue.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

So basically you want to strip the NHS of staff so you can win the league, feck off, there's more important things going on take it on the chin and move on. If your that good you will win it next season (if there is one)

This isn't purely aimed at you just the general consensus of Liverpool fans who are trying to make any possible argument that the league can be played out behind closed doors when it clearly isn't possible at the moment due to the fact that it is impossible to play football whilst keeping a 2 metre distance from other people.

Heinzesight

So, you’re ok with the CL being voided this season and start afresh next season when it’s safe to do so?

Or do you mean carry on the CL next year from the point at which it was postponed?

AaronRedDevil

Cant they not just finish the season right now with everyone, that stays in the position they are in. Might be harsh on the relegation teams but might have to be that way anyway. United are fifth, possibly still qualify if city stay banned. Liverpool win the league and the last three teams get relegated.

AaronRedDevil

So, you’re ok with the CL being voided this season and start afresh next season when it’s safe to do so?

Or do you mean carry on the CL next year from the point at which it was postponed?
I think they should just scrap the CL this year. Its suicide going for it now. Just stick with the league games for now. At least they're were plenty of teams left in the CL so there isn't a clear winner. Like it wasn't the final or semis

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
So basically you want to strip the NHS of staff so you can win the league, feck off, there's more important things going on take it on the chin and move on. If your that good you will win it next season (if there is one)

This isn't purely aimed at you just the general consensus of Liverpool fans who are trying to make any possible argument that the league can be played out behind closed doors when it clearly isn't possible at the moment due to the fact that it is impossible to play football whilst keeping a 2 metre distance from other people.
No not at all?! Where have I said that I want to strip the NHS as staff? I have never said anything like that? My preferred option is to wait until it's safe to restart. I am against playing behind closed doors also, but it seems like the FA are looking in to this.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool

No I would like to see the conclusion of the Champions League. I think it's going to be incredibly difficult to play European games anytime soon though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Cant they not just finish the season right now with everyone, that stays in the position they are in. Might be harsh on the relegation teams but might have to be that way anyway. United are fifth, possibly still qualify if city stay banned. Liverpool win the league and the last three teams get relegated.
That is in no way fair for anyone. Some teams will have played more difficult games, some more home games etc. If the league is void the only one it's sort of unfair to is Liverpool, rather than everyone.

Ludens the Red

I don't get why they can't just delay for as long as it takes. Either that or play the games behind closed doors when things have eased a bit.

The football league doesn't have to follow suit and the PL teams have TV contract money that will make up for the lost gate receipts.

Any other solution is a legal nightmare. Obviously it's way down the list of what's important at the moment, but at some point this will all ease off and they need a way to move forwards. Nulling the season or awarding things on current placing will just move things further backwards.

Everyone seems to be in a rush to sort things out but I don't see the pint when there's not even a guaranteed date one way or the other when they can start things up again. It's like sprinting to catch the train when you don't even know what time the train is
Yep, seems that’s what most clubs in England and the Pl want but Scotland and a lot of posters on here are in a rush to cancel the season. Makes the most sense to Just not do anything, keep it suspended. We have no idea how long this is going to go on for, what’s the point making such a decisive decision in cancelling it. As if we’re definitely gonna be able to start a new season in August or something. We’re 75% through this season and 0% through next season. It’s clear where the focus should be.

SirAnderson

It's almost as if you Liverpool fans are stuck in a bubble, unable to comprehend the idea of the current season not being completed. Like a mental block or something.

My advice is to start making mental preparations for the absolute worst-case scenario. We may not see football again for a very long time.
I know right. It's baffling. And spoken with such clarity and certainty to boot. :houllier:

SirAnderson

Yep, seems that’s what most clubs in England and the Pl want but Scotland and a lot of posters on here are in a rush to cancel the season. Makes the most sense to Just not do anything, keep it suspended. We have no idea how long this is going to go on for, what’s the point making such a decisive decision in cancelling it. As if we’re definitely gonna be able to start a new season in August or something. We’re 75% through this season and 0% through next season. It’s clear where the focus should be.
Might have something to do with all the legal challenges starting up the season when players contracts and stuff have elapsed etc. There's a reason seasons are marked to end at 30 June latest. It's all clock work. Canceling, is smashing it and starting it over.

SirAnderson

Everytime I think I've seen enough of this thread and said all that needs to be said, I still get dragged back into it.
And endless debate with hopefuls, spitefuls, blind-fools, and everything in between. :houllier:

Ludens the Red

Might have something to do with all the legal challenges starting up the season when players contracts and stuff have elapsed etc. There's a reason seasons are marked to end at 30 June latest. It's all clock work. Canceling, is smashing it and starting it over.
Stuff like that is going to be an issue anyway regardless. What of the legal challenges of cancelling the season ? And what if the next season can’t start until January, when is that gonna end? By June 30 next year? Unlikely. There’s no simple way round this in terms of avoiding massive issues but what makes no sense whatsoever is to push through a cancellation when we haven’t got the faintest clue when football will be ready again and/or how this virus will act in the long run.

stevoc

Can't say i've seen too many Liverpool friendly journalists, pundits associated with Liverpool or Liverpool fans insist all the other competitions such as the CL, EL and FA Cup must be finished at all costs for sporting integrity to be sustained.

I keep hearing 9 games can be played in 3-4 weeks as if the Premier League is the only concern but United like many other teams are still in cup competitions. If United had went all the way in the FA Cup and Europa League then they would have had another 18 games to play. That can't all be played in the month of July, probably not even over two months.

You would hope Liverpool folk would be as equally concerned about all the other competitions being completed also.

stevoc

Stuff like that is going to be an issue anyway regardless. What of the legal challenges of cancelling the season ? And what if the next season can’t start until January, when is that gonna end? By June 30 next year? Unlikely. There’s no simple way round this in terms of avoiding massive issues but what makes no sense whatsoever is to push through a cancellation when we haven’t got the faintest clue when football will be ready again and/or how this virus will act in the long run.
Probably none unless they tried to award title/euro spots/relegation based on current standings then they would get sued. I also imagine a lot of clubs would be unhappy and try to sue if they tried to play the season out after June when contracts expire, teams lose players and other teams extensively strengthen their squads during what would be a 3rd transfer window.

The only way that seems the fairest route for all and the one that would involve the least likelihood of teams suing would be to 'curtail' aka null and void the season. No winners, no losers everyone is in the same boat having to start from scratch. In that scenario no one then has a real case for complaint, they signed up to participate in a 38 game home and away competition. It couldn't be completed in the time allotted for it so the only logical outcome was to cancel it.

European qualification from this season probably won't matter either as i now highly doubt there will be any European competitions staged next season. I reckon it will be domestic only in which case each 38 game league program could be completed in 5-6 months from November/December/January onwards. By then we would all hope it's safe enough to have mass gatherings again and get football restarted.

RedDevil@84

How many WC22 's stadiums are ready in Qatar? What about the facilities (accommodations...)?
With the low number of C-19 down there:
Let's take all the 20 EPL teams down there. End the season there, playing in the morning and at night with Massive Air conditioners
2 weeks of Training Camp and a 5-week season playing every 4 days...
In "empty stadiums"
Yeah!!!! After blaming/accusing the Qatar-2022 project for years and years.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The season should never be canceled, it wouldn't be fair to Liverpool or their fans who've waited 30 years to become the champions, which they essentially have been regardless by now.

The main issue is access to testing, if the testing kits that are supposed to give you results in minutes without needing a lab are going to be approved and massively produced (which they will if they pull it off), then there's no reason to not have games continue at that point. They'll be behind closed doors, you test the teams + staff to see if they can play, you keep the quarantine process outside of the games because the players on the field will know not to be infected while they are on it, and just televise the game and let's get back to it. It's a headache but they'll figure a way to reschedule the rest of the season and keep going. However, until we reach this checkpoint in testing, it's not going to be possible to safely pull this off so the season should be suspended until then.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You are dreaming
As I've already stated I worded it wrong and didn't mean solely football I meant life in general, we will probably get slowly reintroduced to everyday life over a period of time the same way we slowly got the lockdown implemented, for example schools with reopen before pubs.

But ofcourse, if you don't want to take my word for it, here's a doctor who pretty much said the exact same thing. Between 1:10 and 2:45.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
As I've already stated I worded it wrong and didn't mean solely football I meant life in general, we will probably get slowly reintroduced to everyday life over a period of time the same way we slowly got the lockdown implemented, for example schools with reopen before pubs.

But ofcourse, if you don't want to take my word for it, here's a doctor who pretty much said the exact same thing.

I wasn't talking about football. The approach is almost certainly right but the time scale is going to be longer than we want to think about. It isn't going to peak in April, which starts tomorrow.

If infections peak before the end of May that will be a huge victory but even then release restrictions too quickly and infections will spike again, as short of a medical disaster we aren't going to get the 70-80% immunity we need for herd immunity without a vaccine and that will be 12-18 months away or longer.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I wasn't talking about football. The approach is almost certainly right but the time scale is going to be longer than we want to think about. It isn't going to peak in April, which starts tomorrow.
But what I meant as soon as the numbers are showing sustainable decline the slow reintroducion of things will be looked at. A complete lockdown like this isn't sustainable economy wise or mental health wise. Yes people will say "lives are more important than the economy" which is absolutely true, but after a certain amount of time the negative long term impact of halting the economy will actually cause more damage than the virus. As for the mental health issues, there's already been an MP in Germany committing suicide, this will only get worse if a complete lockdown is even medium term. At some point caution becomes counter productive and actually causes more harm than good, we could be walking out of a coronovirus pandemic straight to Austerity and mental health pandemics if we're not careful.

Furthermore beyond anything do you think the general public would accept such strict measures continuing if/when the numbers are sharply reducing? The majority are being complient at this minute to prevent the UK hitting the heights Italy did but can you see that happening once the spread seriously declines? If nothing else they will slowly reintroduce the basics (like 1v1 meetings with freinds) to shut people up, and then work from there.

stevoc

The season should never be canceled, it wouldn't be fair to Liverpool or their fans who've waited 30 years to become the champions, which they essentially have been regardless by now.

The main issue is access to testing, if the testing kits that are supposed to give you results in minutes without needing a lab are going to be approved and massively produced (which they will if they pull it off), then there's no reason to not have games continue at that point. They'll be behind closed doors, you test the teams + staff to see if they can play, you keep the quarantine process outside of the games because the players on the field will know not to be infected while they are on it, and just televise the game and let's get back to it. It's a headache but they'll figure a way to reschedule the rest of the season and keep going. However, until we reach this checkpoint in testing, it's not going to be possible to safely pull this off so the season should be suspended until then.
How long do they wait though?

The natural cut off point for this season is the end of June which Uefa also views as the end of the season. Once we get past June i can see a few of the other leagues announcing that they are voiding their seasons, some like Scotland and Italy are already talking about it. At that point England will probably follow suit, there would be no point in ploughing on with a season months after it was supposed to finish just for the sake of one team. The season is about more than just LIverpool, other clubs also stand to lose out massively when the season is voided.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I think we'll get stable testing kits by end of May and some sort of control over the virus by end of July. Sporting events such as Olympics are being postponed which seems to be a reasonable timeframe to adjust football matches as well. I don't care either way but surely the league must be at least making plans to end the season as is, but the decision on how to end it will be a bitch.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
How long do they wait though?

The natural cut off point for this season is the end of June which Uefa also views as the end of the season. Once we get past June i can see a few of the other leagues announcing that they are voiding their seasons, some like Scotland and Italy are already talking about it. At that point England will probably follow suit, there would be no point in ploughing on with a season months after it was supposed to finish just for the sake of one team. The season is about more than just LIverpool, other clubs also stand to lose out massively when the season is voided.
Exactly why the season shouldn't be voided, the loss would be massive for more than just Liverpool, there are all kinds of logistic issues, even beyond the leagues like the CL and Euro/Copa/Olympics. But whatever one league does should not influence what the others do. Italy's situation is much worse than in England, so whatever measures they decide to take shouldn't necessarily influence England. I don't know any more than the average person, I'm no expert, but I do feel that this is more about the ability to test than anything else. We know they're working around the clock to finish this lab-less testing kit. I feel this could be a game-changer to get sporting events started again in closed-off stadiums.

How long do they wait? Until they can be sure that there's an abundance of testing available to make sure the games can go on safely. It really depends when this testing kit will come out. They've already pushed Euro, they can keep pushing things as needed and adjust behind the scenes. Nothing should be voided, the world is paused right now and so should our games. I think it's a shame to let a virus take away everything that teams have achieved this season, to just sweep it under the rug, and start over. I respect the pandemic, the quarantine procedures, etc, but I wouldn't respect the decision to void everything and start over. Obviously if this goes on and gets worse to the point where we won't be recovering from it until the end of the year, then there might not be a choice and it will have to be voided. I just want to be hopeful we get it together and get these testing kits out, it will be a game-changer for everybody, beyond just sports.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
But what I meant as soon as the numbers are showing sustainable decline the slow reintroducion of things will be looked at. A complete lockdown like this isn't sustainable economy wise or mental health wise. Yes people will say "lives are more important than the economy" which is absolutely true, but after a certain amount of time the negative long term impact of halting the economy will actually cause more damage than the virus. As for the mental health issues, there's already been an MP in Germany committing suicide, this will only get worse if a complete lockdown is even medium term. At some point caution becomes counter productive and actually causes more harm than good, we could be walking out of a coronovirus pandemic straight to Austerity and mental health pandemics if we're not careful.

Furthermore beyond anything do you think the general public would accept such strict measures continuing if/when the numbers are sharply reducing? The majority are being complient at this minute to prevent the UK hitting the heights Italy did but can you see that happening once the spread seriously declines? If nothing else they will slowly reintroduce the basics (like 1v1 meetings with freinds) to shut people up, and then work from there.
I think the shit show that will develop in some countries will be scary enough to keep people largely compliant, even if your own country is doing better. And relax too soon or to fast and we go almost back to square one potentially. It is hard to predict exactly how long restrictions will need to be applied and how soon/fast they can be reversed but without a vaccine or treatment I can't see us getting back to normal in under 2 or 3 years and the current restrictions may have to stay for 4/5/6 or more months.

Any way I do the numbers I can't see an alternative to long term restrictions that doesn't involve medical facilities becoming overwhelmed, an escalating infection and death rate resulting in reintroduced restrictions. Obviously restrictions will have to be reduced gradually and the results monitored to make sure infections don't spike again and that isn't going to be an easy task.

SirAnderson

No need to rush, yes that I can agree with. But canceling is the eventuality. Would be silly to play the 19/20 season in 20/21 or 21/22, considering as you've said, this could go on for a year for all we know.
All I'm saying is the idea of picking up this season 6months to a year from now makes no sense.

SirAnderson

Can't say i've seen too many Liverpool friendly journalists, pundits associated with Liverpool or Liverpool fans insist all the other competitions such as the CL, EL and FA Cup must be finished at all costs for sporting integrity to be sustained.

I keep hearing 9 games can be played in 3-4 weeks as if the Premier League is the only concern but United like many other teams are still in cup competitions. If United had went all the way in the FA Cup and Europa League then they would have had another 18 games to play. That can't all be played in the month of July, probably not even over two months.

You would hope Liverpool folk would be as equally concerned about all the other competitions being completed also.
Exactly. The moral "integrity" argument is just hiding behind the desperation that is so clear for all to see. 19 la.

SirAnderson

The fact that the focus of restarting the league is solely about Liverpool and it being unfair for them makes everything suggestion you make crap.

This is not about Liverpool, it's about football, and football will resume when it is safe for EVERYONE, not just a bunch of cnuts who will do anything to get their trophy and too hell with everyone else.

Besides, the holes in your suggestion is just. :houllier:

SirAnderson

Exactly why the season shouldn't be voided, the loss would be massive for more than just Liverpool, there are all kinds of logistic issues, even beyond the leagues like the CL and Euro/Copa/Olympics. But whatever one league does should not influence what the others do. Italy's situation is much worse than in England, so whatever measures they decide to take shouldn't necessarily influence England. I don't know any more than the average person, I'm no expert, but I do feel that this is more about the ability to test than anything else. We know they're working around the clock to finish this lab-less testing kit. I feel this could be a game-changer to get sporting events started again in closed-off stadiums.

How long do they wait? Until they can be sure that there's an abundance of testing available to make sure the games can go on safely. It really depends when this testing kit will come out. They've already pushed Euro, they can keep pushing things as needed and adjust behind the scenes. Nothing should be voided, the world is paused right now and so should our games. I think it's a shame to let a virus take away everything that teams have achieved this season, to just sweep it under the rug, and start over. I respect the pandemic, the quarantine procedures, etc, but I wouldn't respect the decision to void everything and start over. Obviously if this goes on and gets worse to the point where we won't be recovering from it until the end of the year, then there might not be a choice and it will have to be voided. I just want to be hopeful we get it together and get these testing kits out, it will be a game-changer for everybody, beyond just sports.
Thank goodness the decision will not be based on your respect.

You going on as testing is the be all and end all. This virus still affects people. It becomes "unfair" when clubs have players that are not considered for a game because they've tested possible for example.
What's safest is to wait for the vaccine, not testing.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

But ofcourse, if you don't want to take my word for it, here's a doctor who pretty much said the exact same thing. Between 1:10 and 2:45.

Why does This Morning keep getting used as a source on the Caf?

Anyway, been away for a while and this is the thread that keeps giving.

Liverpool fans have completely lost their dignity in all of this.

The season is getting cancelled, there’s no doubt about that.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

This is a good post.