Could Utd be sold soon?

Giggsyking

one year ago the royal Qatari family wanted to buy the club for 1.8 bn pounds but the Glazers rejected the offer. Its about time till one big royal family put their hands on the club and I am totally ok with that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Apart from the Bayern Munich model (run by club legends, part owned by fans, stealing all the talent from other German clubs etc.) what is the ideal scenario, when it comes to ownership of the club? Surely the next best thing is to have owners who want to buy success and will spend whatever it takes?
It probably won't be popular, but what we've had the last few years is pretty much up there in terms of realistic options.

I don't want the owner to treat us as a plaything.
I don't want the owner getting involved in decision making at the club.
I don't want the owner taking significant amounts of money out of the club for themselves (a small amount is fine).

The money the club makes needs to be funnelled back into the club. Which does seem to have happened the majority of the last five or so years (this last transfer window is the one exception but we don't really know if that was caused by the owners or if there was something else going on).

Basically I want the club to be strong because it's well-run, not because the owners are rich. I want to 'deserve' the success, not have it gifted. The only thing I'd be comfortable a rich owner 'gifting' us would be development on Old Trafford. We are in a position where we can spend enough to keep up with the oil-backed clubs as long as it's spent well and then managed well on the pitch. That's where our issue has been.

MoskvaRed

“Jose, we are a bit concerned by recent results - could you pop into the embassy in London to discuss?”

The story is almost ceryainly rubbish but I’d pack in watching football if we had Saudi owners.

El Zoido

Why would some people bail if this is true? It’s no different to being owned by the Glazers as far as I’m concerned.

Red_toad

Some of you guys are strange - nothing would stop me supporting Utd ❤
Once I expire I’m out, before that not a chance in hell!
Glazers will sell the club when they think it’s the right time. But as they’re making a mint from their investment, I don’t see it as being anytime soon.
Can’t believe fans are dictating what owners should do. If we’re bought out by some rich family, I’m sure they’ll be willing to sit down with the fans, just like Uncle Malc did all those years ago...

MuFc_1992

Why would some people bail if this is true? It’s no different to being owned by the Glazers as far as I’m concerned.
Have you not been paying attention to the news lately? I know people say football is more important than life and death but that's not the case for some of us. Also it's a lot different than being owned by the glazer's because as far as I'm aware they haven't kidnapped the leader of a foreign nation, killed and dismembered a journalist and bombed a bus full of schoolchildren.

Reactions: Ødegaard

red thru&thru

It's going to happen. Will it be the Saudi's? No idea. There are many in the Glazers who don't want to be involved in football and will no doubt be putting pressure on to sell, especially at figures such as $4bn.

Can we take the moral high ground onbeing owned by the Saudi's? Not really. We live in England and the government here has been part of terrible things to benefit themselves. Reality is, the whole world is corrupt...some are just more obviuos than others.

Andersons Dietician

United are too expensive to buy, even for the filthy rich.
I think there is a bit of truth in this, last time it was valued it was something like 2.2billion and I’m sure I read something recently that said it’s closer to 3 bil. Even for the super rich 2-3billion to spend on effectively a toy would surely be hard to do unless you have an emotional connection or it’s just for ego.
  1. Jeff Bezos | Amazon | $112 billion
  2. Bill Gates | Microsoft | $90 billion
  3. Warren Buffett | Berkshire Hathaway | $84 billion
  4. Bernard Arnault & family | LVMH | $72 billion
  5. Mark Zuckerberg | Facebook | $71 billion

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
I think there is a bit of truth in this, last time it was valued it was something like 2.2billion and I’m sure I read something recently that said it’s closer to 3 bil. Even for the super rich 2-3billion to spend on effectively a toy would surely be hard to do unless you have an emotional connection or it’s just for ego.
A hedge fund manager bought the NFL’s Carolina Panthers this year for $2.2 billion and paid cash for it.

It isn’t out of reach.

Jeff Bezos could probably buy United without realizing the money was gone.

Andersons Dietician

A hedge fund manager bought the NFL’s Carolina Panthers this year for $2.2 billion and paid cash for it.

It isn’t out of reach.

Jeff Bezos could probably buy United without realizing the money was gone.
So that is about 1.6/7 billion pounds. Still 600 or 500 mil short and that is a significant number. We were valued at 2.2 billion pounds. It’s certainly not impossible but i’d Imagine if we were to be bought it would be a consortium or a country.

Jeff Bezo 112billion.

OldSchoolManc

Old Trafford would be desert-ed,
Camels would give us the hump,
Selling our soul to the devil,
What modern Football’s become.

Carolina Red

Staff
So that is about 1.6/7 billion pounds. Still 600 or 500 mil short and that is a significant number. We were valued at 2.2 billion pounds. It’s certainly not impossible but i’d Imagine if we were to be bought it would be a consortium or a country.

Jeff Bezo 112billion.
There are several folks in the US who could individually purchase the club if they wished to.

The guy who bought the Panthers only paid about 1/6th of his net worth for them. He could have gone higher if he needed to.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
They'd more likely try to buy a London based club, Arabs love London, can't imagine them taking to the North all too well.

Hear Roman is wanting to let Chelsea go...

Acquire Me

They would probably be better than the Glazers as I doubt they would be taking money out of the club.

I agree with the support, no doubt about that. That said, the Glazers are doing a fantastic job businesswise. I would not change that.

Giggsyking

Why would anybody care/be upset if the Saudis took over the club and pumped money in the club?

pacifictheme

Isn't that the point of why "ownership" happened in the first place, this "business investment" is aimed to get profit, not charity.
In some cases its a marketing tool, or a vanity project. Abramovic and mansour aren't making money.

Kapardin

The Glazers leech money and are grossly incompetent at running a football club, but they don't kill people.

I want the Glazers to feck off, but I'd much prefer them than buying Galacticos with blood money pumped in from Saudi Arabia. Of course, wouldn't stop supporting the club, but I'd sooner not want this to happen.

Ahsan_6386

Hmm so the Saudi Royal Family are interested in buying the club . They are filthy rich and currently going through some very bad media exposure thanks to their own pathetic actions . So buying United right now might be a good option for them . It will bring a lot of good media coverage for them and they will be buying the most profitable club in the world so their money will be secure and in a good place .

Having them as owners will not be nice on a moral point of view but from a footballing point of view we would be quite secure because of our own profits and their own family worth which is estimated at around 1.7 trillion US dollars . It means we can literally blow up the transfer market and buy anyone we want if they will be as involved as Man City and PSG owners . So as a fan its quite conflicting the deal as a whole has a lot of advantages but the biggest disadvantage being the owners themselves .

I have read somewhere that the Glazers are close to Donald Trump as are the Saudi Royal Family . Imagine Donald Trump announcing the deal on his Twitter and being the middle man . He will probably tweet he has brokered the greatest deal in the history of football and business deals .

Bestietom

No smoke without fire. There could be interested parties but Glazers will squeeze them for even more.

Not saying the Star story is true, but there probably are Arabs looking to Buy.

wolvored

They would probably be better than the Glazers as I doubt they would be taking money out of the club.

Exactly! These are the same guys who moaned about the glazers and still support Utd. Would rather be owned by an entity that doesnt need to suck the club dry than one that does

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
one year ago the royal Qatari family wanted to buy the club for 1.8 bn pounds but the Glazers rejected the offer. Its about time till one big royal family put their hands on the club and I am totally ok with that.
Where did you hear that? They own PSG and allegedly looked at United around 2010 but decided that the initial investment wasn't worth it.

We SHOULD be owned by and owner / owners who can actually afford the club and can put in place a structure for contemporary success.
Arguably Utd’s most successful period came under the Glazers. Football is cyclical, we can’t be challenging for the league every year.

Do you own a house? SHOULD you only be allowed to pay cash for it, or should you be able to use a mortgage? SHOULD businesses not be able to raise finance to prosper? A leveraged buyout is perfectly normal.

The Glazers have been extremely successful financially with Utd - we sold the silver when we listed in the stock exchange.

Better the devil you know.

Bestietom

I think with the way things are going with this club atm. It would give everyone a lift if this were true, but "The Star" NOOOOOH.

Giggsyking

Where did you hear that? They own PSG and allegedly looked at United around 2010 but decided that the initial investment wasn't worth it.
The PSG owner Al khilaifi is not from the royal family but he is a close friend of the prince Tamim and he is the CEO of bein sports and chairman of QSI that owns PSG.
The royal family headed by Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani who wanted to buy the club in 2017.
So in other words, Utd owners would have been richer than PSGs owners.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/qatar-royals-linked-fresh-2-4bn-man-utd-buyout-420815.html

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The PSG owner Al khilaifi is not from the royal family but he is a close friend of the prince Tamim and he is the CEO of bein sports and chairman of QSI that owns PSG.
The royal family headed by Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani who wanted to buy the club in 2017.
So in other words, Utd owners would have been richer than PSGs owners.
El Khelaifi isn't the owner. The owner is Qatar through QIA.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why would anybody care/be upset if the Saudis took over the club and pumped money in the club?
A lot of people don't want to be associated (and be used as a machine propaganda) with arguably the most evil regime in the world.

SecondFig

A lot of people don't want to be associated (and be used as a machine propaganda) with arguably the most evil regime in the world.
Yep. I loathe the Glazers, and want rid of them.

But if were sold to the Saudis I'm not watching or supporting United until we're sold again. I'd rather see us relegated than owned by the likes of them

Giggsyking

People lives in countries ruled by killing machines, but they did not quit their land or stopped loving it. If united will be owned by Saudi's I wont stop supporting the club.

Skills

Snitch
We're fecked worse if the glazers decide to sell us. We'll end as an advertising campaign in the hands of a middle eastern dictatorship (see PSG and City) or worse in the hands of someone looking for a profit.

The glazers came here for a profit and they've already made it. The value of the club has increased 4-fold since they bought it, so they don't need to keep funneling out of the money unlike the 2005-2010. The value of the club isn't going to quadruple in the next 13 years, so the only way any parasite is going to get a worthwhile return on investment is to aggressively take a cut of the profits.