Could Utd be sold soon?

Iowred

I think people need to calm down a bit, Everyone has suddenly become a diplomatic expert in foreign affairs. If, and that is a big IF, United are bought out by the Saudi’s then maybe have a debate over the football side of things and how a takeover might effect the club in both a positive and negative way. Right now this is just a rumour started in the sun/daily star newspapers. You don’t buy those papers for the breaking news. You buy it to read dear Jane, find out that a comet will maybe hit the earth in 100,000 years or check out the page 3 girl.

If everyone is that passionate about politics etc then run for government and make a difference.

Reactions: Penna

Rednotdead

Do those who are against the Saudis buying the club on moral grounds check where the fuel comes from that they put in their car? It could be from Saudi Arabia after all.

Marcky411

Come back when it's the Financial Times.
Fully agree, but wouldn't mind if it were true, owners that might want to really do something with a football club instead of just drain it financially.

Nick7

Do those who are against the Saudis buying the club on moral grounds check where the fuel comes from that they put in their car? It could be from Saudi Arabia after all.
That has nothing to do with this topic. It's a desperate "gotcha".

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Maybe we should try being better than the odd lot up the road.
Maybe - let’s see if we feel that way if we went 30 odd years without winning anything. In the meantime, taking the moral high ground with your football team ownership is a bit like taking the moral high ground on who owns Sky - pointless unless you are prepared to stop watching it and even then it remains pointless because there are plenty of others to take your place.

decorativeed

Not related to this thread but people living in ultra nationalistic countries usually have a tendency to view the world through the us vs lens and assume that people in other country do the same as well whereas people living in some countries see themselves as individuals. I believe that is the case behind the ridiculous back and forth argument in this thread that is going nowhere.
You could be on to something there.

Infra-red

Maybe - let’s see if we feel that way if we went 30 odd years without winning anything. In the meantime, taking the moral high ground with your football team ownership is a bit like taking the moral high ground on who owns Sky - pointless unless you are prepared to stop watching it and even then it remains pointless because there are plenty of others to take your place.
There are plenty of people in this thread saying that they will indeed do that.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
What do you mean, "Iraqi civilians"? These people were living in Iraq, and, as everyone knows (apparently), being born or living/paying taxes in a country automatically means that you agree with every aspect of that country's foreign and domestic policy. The people of Iraq, therefore, were clearly one, giant, homogeneous blob of evil, murderous criminals, identical to Saddam and his sons, and deserving of everything they got....

Or, maybe, just maybe, you cannot blame an entire nation for the actions of their government.

I'm also not clear how any of this relates to the topic of this thread. Have the US or UK governments been linked to a takeover of United? If they have, I will oppose it.
Shut up big time, you don't know what you are talking about. You just believe what your bullshit american/european media shows you. Afghanistan/Iraq/Syria amassed thousands of casualties just because your governments decided to bring democracy to those countries. The struggles in the middle-east are all due to the shitty regimes that Europe and USA supported in the old days.

If you really think that the civilians in Iraq supported Saddam then you are a stupid waste of flesh. Anyone who opposes dictator regimes is directly killed, sometimes molested before and after, I suggest you read more unbiased documentaries on the struggles in the middle-east and the arab world in general, not what your bullshit media tells you.

decorativeed

I know loads of people who have done that, because they don't want to further line Murdock's pockets.

Last edited:

Infra-red

Fully agree, but wouldn't mind if it were true, owners that might want to really do something with a football club instead of just drain it financially.
Yes, instead of enriching the bank accounts of a family of money-grubbing yank businessmen, let's instead enrich the reputations of a murderous family of human rights abusers! Much better!

Infra-red

Shut up big time, you don't know what you are talking about. You just believe what your bullshit american/european media shows you. Afghanistan/Iraq/Syria amassed thousands of casualties just because your governments decided to bring democracy to those countries. The struggles in the middle-east are all due to the shitty regimes that Europe and USA supported in the old days.

If you really think that the civilians in Iraq supported Saddam then you are a stupid waste of flesh. Anyone who opposes dictator regimes is directly killed, sometimes molested before and after, I suggest you read more unbiased documentaries on the struggles in the middle-east and the arab world in general, not what your bullshit media tells you.
Congratulations for completely missing the point.

decorativeed

Says the person who needs sarcasm explained to them.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
There are plenty of people in this thread saying that they will indeed do that.
Probably the same people who said they would never watch us again when the Glazers bought the club. Remember the yellow and green scarves? That really brought the Glazers to their knees as I recall.

decorativeed

...and that’s made all the difference to Sky’s fortunes. As I said, pointless.
Not to them. For some people, doing what they think is right is the point. The kind of "why should I bother doing something if nobody else does" attitude is not really going to advance society, is it?

Nori-

It would be a disaster for the United brand, although the new owners could counter that with an endless supply of personal money.

Also, if the Glazers did decide to sell, there isn't much anyone could do as they own the club and can sell to whoever they like. (Unless it become a government issue and was blocked)

Personally, I feel the immorality of the purchase would out weight having Messi, Mbappe and Neymar upfront :nono:

Infra-red

Probably the same people who said they would never watch us again when the Glazers bought the club. Remember the yellow and green scarves? That really brought the Glazers to their knees as I recall.
@decorativeed has covered this above. Nobody who opposes a hypothetical Saudi takeover of United would be doing so because they expect it to actually bring down the House of Saud.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
wow ..

I didn't expect to see such hatred and buffoonery towards the Saudis. such a shame ..What made me chuckle though somebody was calling us out on for crime against humanity. Get a grip.

I'm a Saudi, not your typical kind.

It'll be just like City as you see Mansour flexing for the benefit of the good fortunately. Muhammed bin Salman is a sophisticated man with a vision and he has what it takes to be the best.

It'll be a fresh start. Why so pessimistic ?
Likely because people don't want United associated with the Saudi regime for obvious reasons.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Not to them. For some people, doing what they think is right is the point. The kind of "why should I bother doing something if nobody else does" attitude is not really going to advance society, is it?
It depends upon what your ideas of ‘advancing society’ are. If stamping your feet and walking away from Utd because you don’t like the owners fits the definition, fair enough, although I struggle to understand exactly what element of society has been ‘advanced’.

decorativeed

It depends upon what your ideas of ‘advancing society’ are. If stamping your feet and walking away from Utd because you don’t like the owners fits the definition, fair enough, although I struggle to understand exactly what element of society has been ‘advanced’.
I obviously don't mean that solely in regard to football club support, but I'm sure you already knew that. Sometimes an individual or small group of people making a personal stand against something results in actual positive change to society.

WensleyMU

Not a fan. Some of the arguments being put forth here are nothing short of hilarious. People comparing it to the British government are way off, the comparison should be with the British Royal Family.... 400 years ago. And no, being a rich Jewish Family who are citizens of the United States does not equate to being the self appointed rulers of a country... Nor does it have any bearing at all, on that country dropping an Atom bomb against a country it was at war with (through the choice of that country lets not forget).

One poster managed to fit in a dig at Israel, because, you know.... can't talk about oppressive Islamic countries without bringing the Jews into it eh? There a significant difference between the Glazer family being Jewish, even supporting Israel, and Netanyahu buying the club, after declaring himself the self appointed leader of Israel now and until his death.

Giggsyking

We can close this thread.

Why close the thread?
They said too, The Glaziers will think about it if the offer exceeds 4 bn pounds, for someone like Bin Selman who is worth more than 850 bn, an extra 1 bn wont be a problem. Dont forget bin Selman is a good friend of the Glazers and things can go fast.

WensleyMU

I haven’t met one yet who is unhappy how it came about, or about the sneering comments they get from us. All they care about is that they are Champions.
They are the definition of desperate. A nothing club, with fans whos only claim to fame is that they enjoyed being losers. They would have sold their souls, or their nan for a League Cup.

WensleyMU

And for those with the..."where does the fuel in your car come from" nonsense.... the answer is probably not Saudi Arabia.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I haven’t met one yet who is unhappy how it came about, or about the sneering comments they get from us. All they care about is that they are Champions.
I've met loads who think the club is just a hollow shell these days. Plenty of them have sacked off going since the takeover as it just isn't the same club they used to support.

Kostov

I really don't think majority of posters think in the way you are assuming (British or American - White?). They would be just as up in arms if it was the current republican regime trying to lead a consortium to buy the club.

This racial bias angle that is being used to defend the Saudi government in this thread is disingenuous IMO. I think most fans just want owners who are not tied to any questionable forms of political power. Quite frankly we should be avoiding anyone with strong political ties full stop.. the club should not be used as a pawn of a political head. Give me a shady businessman instead any day of the week than that.

No one is saying no Saudi's full stop.. that would be racism or more accurately xenophobic. They're just saying no to the actual Royal Family especially in its current form.
I didn't mean it in a racial context. Republican/Democrats what's the difference? USA has been killing civilians around the globe for the last half a century. In it's own country and abroad. But no, the world would not be up in arms as much as if the Saudis are doing it.

Abdullah7

Likely because people don't want United associated with the Saudi regime for obvious reasons.
The media have spun quite of few heads in these forums. The Saudis adore the regime and vice versa not because of fear and what not. We're really proud of what Mohammed bin Salman is aspiring to and the country have the means to do so. As we need to change this bad stereo typical images that was painted by the Westren media over the last few decades.

I hope we see developments on this in the near future as I love United for almost 20 years and I think the Glazeres aren't suitable to compete against the other mega rich clubs around Europe.

Kostov

Do we? You've made an awful lot of baseless statements and assumptions in this thread, in an effort to paint some of us as hypocrites who only sometimes "choose to have morals".

I'm aware of the fact that people of any nation can hold a wide variety of opinions as a society, rather than abiding by whatever strange idea Kostur off Redcafe has of them as a homogenised entity.
Which of my statements are baseless? I never tried to paint some as hypocrites, I said we all are in some sorts including myself.

What assumptions are you talking about? I only mentioned things known to be facts. There are people with strong morals, ok I can live with that. They are minority, the vast majority don’t really give a feck. That’s why countries like US and UK have been doing the same thing for the last 70 years.

Iowred

‘United Not For Sale’.

At least everyone can now go back to hating the Glazers rather than pretending to be a politician