Could Van Gaal convince you to give him one more season?

Could Van Gaal convince you to give him one more season?

• Total voters

Parry Gallister

Depends, if there is noise about (at least trying to) sell Rooney, cover the positions that need reinforcements, the young players really thrive between now and the end and the football is great, then I don't really care about where we finish and I'd like to him to be able to carry all that on.

Otherwise, well, can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Last edited:

Sad Chris

If he can keep Jones injury free for a season he can stay as long as he likes. Heck, then I'd even throw in the US presidency on top!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If he can keep Jones injury free for a season he can stay as long as he likes. Heck, then I'd even throw in the US presidency on top!
If he could keep Jones injury free for a season he'd be better off leading the NHS.

Evian might also be interested in his services if they go into the plonk market.

Crashoutcassius

If we have success then I dont know why people would prefer jose over van gaal. It would be success with no young players and a very boring style.

Bear in mind that if we kept van gaal for another year it means we would be appointing a new manager next summer and it wouldn't be mourinho, which means it might be someone that makes more sense, that plays attacking football

Morpheus 7

No, just no! Everyone that voted for the first option are rival fans. Second option, Top 4 is not good enough for Manchester United, not progress. The next option if he wins a trophy? The FA cup, Europa league will not hide the low performance level this year. If he wins the premier league the last option? mmm...really. May as well say if we win the treble, won't happen. I'm glad the caf is more optimistic theses days but let's not jump the gun. It's been a run less than 2 weeks, it can't disguise the mess that this season has been. Boring, dull unadventurous football without risk for close to two seasons, new manager simple as. Give Van Gaal credit for playing the youth, we are all really happy about it but it's not really been through choice. A light squad, not replacing key positions on the pitch in the summer has forced him too. Football fans can be really reactionary at times, just because we have had 4 wins everything changes. I have been decided on Van Gaal since Norwich, not the man to take us forward. He's retiring soon anyway, let's address the situation.

I hope the youth keep there places as long as they keep performing, they have shown more fight and ball's than our senior players. I don't think Rooney should get back in to this team automatically. For me Smalling, De Gea and Martial have showed there quality and deserve the right to be in the team. Oh yeah and I voted no way I want Jose. I hope we can force top 4, it's more about next season now. I'm enjoying the desire from the younger players, will give the next manager something to think about. Feck Van Gaal

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
No. It's easy to forget the shit we crawled through just to start playing offensively. People forget we were top earlier in the season. A manager with one year to go and everyone knows it? Just ain't happening. Who is going to want to come when the manager that signs them has a year left? There are pro's and cons but we were 8 or so minutes away last night, from people having another moan. Could easily have lost the game. We just have to take it one game at a time.

Dominos

Champions League qualification (whichever way) and FA Cup victory is probably the only scenario I'd feel a little guilty about sacking him.

Moriarty

Jamie Jackson, our favourite Guardian hack, seems to think Van Gaal as DoF and Jose as manager would be a good combo. Maybe, but if Van Gaal is sodding off to Portugal come 2017, it won't happen. I've moaned about him and his bloody philosophy for a while now but if Rashford, Foshu-Mensa, McNair, Weir, and Martial turn into the top players we all hope they'll be, I reckon the comments in hindsight on here will be interesting.

SalfordRed1960

No, just no! Everyone that voted for the first option are rival fans. Second option, Top 4 is not good enough for Manchester United, not progress. The next option if he wins a trophy? The FA cup, Europa league will not hide the low performance level this year. If he wins the premier league the last option? mmm...really. May as well say if we win the treble, won't happen. I'm glad the caf is more optimistic theses days but let's not jump the gun. It's been a run less than 2 weeks, it can't disguise the mess that this season has been. Boring, dull unadventurous football without risk for close to two seasons, new manager simple as. Give Van Gaal credit for playing the youth, we are all really happy about it but it's not really been through choice. A light squad, not replacing key positions on the pitch in the summer has forced him too. Football fans can be really reactionary at times, just because we have had 4 wins everything changes. I have been decided on Van Gaal since Norwich, not the man to take us forward. He's retiring soon anyway, let's address the situation.

I hope the youth keep there places as long as they keep performing, they have shown more fight and ball's than our senior players. I don't think Rooney should get back in to this team automatically. For me Smalling, De Gea and Martial have showed there quality and deserve the right to be in the team. Oh yeah and I voted no way I want Jose. I hope we can force top 4, it's more about next season now. I'm enjoying the desire from the younger players, will give the next manager something to think about. Feck Van Gaal
You make a lot of assumptions on why people voted the way they did. Ever thought not everyone is blinkered enough to put the cause of all the problems on the manager.

NM

If you are enjoying the youngsters, how can you want Jose? He won't play any of them

Winrar

If we win the PL from this position then I will be convinced.

which effectively means I want him out at the end of the season.

beergod

No. Having a manager with a known expiration date at the end of the season is almost as mad as the idea that Giggs would take over after LvG saw out his three year deal. I hope LvG can win the Europa League and call it a day with dignity and we can move on with a more long term option.

Theonas

Scout
If we have success then I dont know why people would prefer jose over van gaal. It would be success with no young players and a very boring style.

Bear in mind that if we kept van gaal for another year it means we would be appointing a new manager next summer and it wouldn't be mourinho, which means it might be someone that makes more sense, that plays attacking football
I know it's a puzzler alright! José is ever a solution if you are at rock bottom, desperate and have no other options. I never wanted him here but at least I could see how some were thinking that we can't afford more mediocrity anymore and we really need some to stop the rot. But if we finish in the top 4 and or win a trophy, there is no rot to be saved from and no need to go for that desperate appointment. Now if Pep was available or someone who will bring a footballing vision and identity to our club, I can see the motivation behind it but again José brings none of that.

Brightonian

He doesn't even have to convince me. If the only other option is Jose, then Van Gaal is my unconditional preference.

Vs Pochettino, on the other hand, he'd have to get us in the top four and impress in both the FA Cup and Europa League.

Morpheus 7

If you are enjoying the youngsters, how can you want Jose? He won't play any of them
I'm enjoying the academy and the life they have brought back.I want Mourihno because he will bring success back to the club,simple as that.I want us to be feared again and to be champions league contenders. I know his reputation bringing youth through,it's not great but if they are good enough they will play.It's the only aspect of the culture of the club Van Gaal as respected.He's given the youth a chance because of injuries,keep that in mind.The squad size was trimmed in the summer and overlooked. I hope if Jose comes the academy players will get there chance,we will have to wait and see.I feel if we don't go for Mourihno we will be left behind in this league for the next few years.

Morpheus 7

You make a lot of assumptions on why people voted the way they did. Ever thought not everyone is blinkered enough to put the cause of all the problems on the manager.
I know there are more problems at that club than Van Gaal.The club's transfer policy,players performing,Ed Woodward,decision making within the board,restructuring of the academy yeah I get it.Not everyone is blinkered and they are entitled to their opinion and vote.What annoys the feck out of me is that four good results can change opinion so easily on Van Gaal,even though we have watched lifeless, dross football for over a year and a half. The club need a change in many departments but Lvg and his backroom staff need to go.

NM

I'm enjoying the academy and the life they have brought back.I want Mourihno because he will bring success back to the club,simple as that.I want us to be feared again and to be champions league contenders. I know his reputation bringing youth through,it's not great but if they are good enough they will play.It's the only aspect of the culture of the club Van Gaal as respected.He's given the youth a chance because of injuries,keep that in mind.The squad size was trimmed in the summer and overlooked. I hope if Jose comes the academy players will get there chance,we will have to wait and see.I feel if we don't go for Mourihno we will be left behind in this league for the next few years.
I understand the need to get Jose. I hate him, but will eventually love him if he gives us titles. However, "if they are good enough they will play" simply isn't true with him. See various Chelsea youngsters inclduing de Bruyne

Dante

Average bang
Van Gaal is 64. Appointing him as a DoF wouldn't make sense. He'll want to retire soon so he'd not exactly a whole lot of continuity between managers.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
10/10 wins yes. Mourinho can wait - if he can't, giggs can step up

SalfordRed1960

I know there are more problems at that club than Van Gaal.The club's transfer policy,players performing,Ed Woodward,decision making within the board,restructuring of the academy yeah I get it.Not everyone is blinkered and they are entitled to their opinion and vote.What annoys the feck out of me is that four good results can change opinion so easily on Van Gaal,even though we have watched lifeless, dross football for over a year and a half. The club need a change in many departments but Lvg and his backroom staff need to go.
What makes you think it is the last four matches that have changed peoples minds, if at all. Where is the evidence the people are changing their minds.

You have just confirmed my comment on people being blinkered by suggesting that the full year and half (more in fact) has been lifeless, dross football. There is no recognition, that actually the bulk may have been dross, but there have been periods where we as fans have thought 'at last' some progress. Cue someone mentioning maybe 3 or 4 games to make a point. It is not all negative, not good by any stretch of imagination, but not all doom and gloom. The fans who want him gone at all cost seem to go way OTT on the negativity to such a point you wonder whether they even watch the game every one else is, or they have to go back to say the Sunderland, Norwich or Bournemouth games to make sure everyone doesn't forget.

Reality is, not one of us is going to influence the status of LVG at United. He is more likely to stay if Giggs really is the heir apparent, as I would assume that will mean Giggs takes a more active role next year and LVG will oversee. If Giggs is not heir apparent, then LVG will only go if the board think there is an opportunity to get a top manager which is too good to miss. Again, only opinion, but I doubt he will be sacked if we are not even in CL, that doesn't mean it is acceptable, it may just be the reality of where United are at the moment.

AkaAkuma

Theres a lot I like about him, and honestly feel he's laying decent foundations (I know thats ridiculed on here). The issue is the false starts, there are too many of them to truly believe he can do the job for another season.

I hope he can continue the run we are on and take that into the next season. I want to see what he can do with this group of players, youth included, rather than starting again with Mourinho and most likely breaking up the team.

Trizy

Even if he gets top 4, wins the FA cup and Europa League I'd still want him gone. He's proven he's past his sell by date, I'd thank him and let Jose come in the summer.

red_devil83

If we play well and win like 80% of our remaining games this season and he doesn't just bring the senior players back because they're fit again, then sure. Like everyone else has said though, that's not gonna happen.

Morpheus 7

I understand the need to get Jose. I hate him, but will eventually love him if he gives us titles. However, "if they are good enough they will play" simply isn't true with him. See various Chelsea youngsters inclduing de Bruyne
I would be lying if I said I'm not concerned.You can look at De Bruyne and others,good point.Time will tell but I can see Jose doing well at United,probably end up falling out with everyone including the kitman by the end.Success and titles though are were united need to get back to.We will just have to see what happens.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If we came top 3 and won both cups then maybe. But I think it's time for him to go really. He isn't the man to get us right back to the top for me. Not a chance. But I wouldn't be raging if he stayed on after winning 2 trophies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I love Van Gaal but we've given him two seasons now. He can't do it. He hasn't improved us. He has been worse than Moysey (who I also loved) and that's saying something. Enough of Moyes and Van Gaal. Time to get in Jose (who I never liked. There might be a pattern here... )

Utd7

Those standards are irrevocably high, a double and you'd want him sacked?
Realistically we can't win the title every year. That's obvious, but Manchester United should be aiming and legitimately competing for the title every season. Obviously we have struggled to do that since Sir Alex left.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
No.

I love how this is now spun into a "2016 Manchester United youth revival", when most of the youth introductions have been forced due to our terrible injury situation.

Can't tolerate another year of Vanshiteball.

RedDevil@84

Can we have another choice which reads "No way" without the Jose part. So that people who want LvG gone, but not because they want Jose can vote too.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
LVG should go and Giggs should manage Shrewsbury or Sainsbury

Perrick Dubois

If he wins any kind of trophy he really should drop the mic and walk. I think that would be fitting, I mean he has basically altered almost everything he believes in just to get us an upturn in results I don't really see the point in him continuing. We are going down a dead end trying to play football the way he wants us to play.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
We need consistency and the only things consistent about his tenure have been his interview quotes, general inconsistency in the style of our play, and his steadfast refusal to compromise on Rooney. For someone hired on the premise of being a system builder, he has been anything but. Granted, he has given the kids a chance but this occurred when all other options were already exhausted.

Two years since his appointment, we still do not have settled tactics, formation, or system of play.
I have voted to extend his stay subject to him achieving the "impossible" between now and the end of the season: Winning the league

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It's simple, if there is a top class manager available this summer then he has to go regardless of where we finish/what we win.

LVG has been incredibly underwhelming and could have been sacked on three separate occasions this season. He should think himself lucky as pretty much any other top European side would have booted his backside out of the club months ago.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What's laughable is allowing the standards of a club that views itself as the best club in the world to fall. Being content with fourth place is the wrong mindset in the long run. Look at Arsenal.
Totally agree!! LVG has lowered fans expectations so far that it's actually worrying. With the money spent over the last 2 years and the horrendously shite form of our rivals, anything less than winning the league this season should be seen as an absolute failure on the part of the management team.

We will never see another season where collectively City, Chelsea and Arsenal are all shit at the same time. This was our big chance to capitalise on their form and we've failed.

Brightonian

I love how this is now spun into a "2016 Manchester United youth revival", when most of the youth introductions have been forced due to our terrible injury situation.
I 'love' that you still haven't grasped that Van Gaal deliberately shrunk the squad so that our response to injuries would be to use youngsters. Of course he didn't want an injury crisis but he set the squad up such that when we had injuries it would be youngsters, not squad-chaff like Anderson, Buttner, Hernandez etc, who would fill the gaps. He's often referred to his preference for this approach, he's done it at all his previous clubs, he said he was going to do it with us, and then he did it with us. Kind of odd how many people refuse to acknowledge it despite that overwhelming evidence.