Could Van Gaal convince you to give him one more season?

Could Van Gaal convince you to give him one more season?

• Total voters

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Mourinho wasn't my first option. Ancelotti and Pep were. However while still holding concerns about Mourinho you can't blame people like me to see him as the best of the remaining options. Mourinho is a serial winner, he knows the EPL inside out and he's hungry for success. The only two alternatives I cant think of are Simeone (whose also a winner and unlike Mourinho he's got a good record in developing young players however he's got zilc experience in the EPL) and Pocahontas who have a good record in developing young players and has EPL experience but has yet to show that he's a winner. Ultimately we've got to choose. LVG is taking us nowhere and Maureen is certainly one of the finest options left
I still don't want Mourinho. I think he is a cnut and a disgrace.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I still don't want Mourinho. I think he is a cnut and a disgrace.
And yet there's very few alternatives left, unless of course we give it some random guy in the street like lets say Giggs, Gaz or some other pundit

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What I think doesn't matter so not sure what you're trying to make me understand.
It does matter because ultimately someone will have to choose the manager next summer and there's not a lot of great candidates around. Its also ironic we don't want Mourinho because he's a cnut considering that our most successful manager was consider the same by most neutrals and rivals + even some of his players (including one of his most successful captains). There are other reasons why not wanting Mourinho, mainly his record with the youths. However we shouldn't care less of his character traits as long as he's successful

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
If he gets top 4 I wouldn't be averse to it. I'd prefer Mourinho but still. If the team goes on a run and looks as good as we have the last month then why not. The same thing happened to other managers and getting rid out of spite because he had a poor season is a dick move, especially if he shows signs of turning a corner and the team playing really well. Some people saying 'we should have lost that game' is bullshit. Nobody ever says 'we should have won' and then doesn't blame him for anything. Bollocks to 'we should have', focus on what actually happened. We're on a run, let's see if we can keep it up.

If we go back to same old then no, but if the team go on a great run playing with confidence and attacking with energy then that's clearly a sign of change and then there's no reason not to give him a chance unless you're doing it out of spite for his poor start.

ghagua

I think most of us are resigned to the fact he simply wont be sacked or leave till the summer. What could he possibly do worse now than already done this season? title written off, CL written off, some watchable football is kind of the least we can take off him currently. and that's down to enthusiastic youth, god help us when fellaini, young, Valencia return to the side. Give it 2 more defeats and watch the mood turn again
No, God help us when he's instilled his philosophy into the youth players.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think if he wins the next couple of games he will be kept, unfortunately.
Exactly. There are no viable options this summer as Mourinho is really not wanted (but needed if top 4 is not reached).

LvG finishes fourth and he'll be begged to stay until they get a decent replacement readied. Probably Poch who won't want to leave this summer but may do next. Or Simeone.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I think Mourinho will take over in the summer but if LvG did manage to win the PL he should have been given another yearto see out his contract.
Have voted since the Sheff Utd match for him to be sacked but I still haven't voted to want Mourinho to become the next manager.

Not convinced Mourinho is the solution, even putting aside my dislike for him. Problem is there are not many other options. Would have liked Ancelotti but that's not going to happen in the near future, if ever.

Just want us to start winning trophies again with a bit of style thrown in if possible.

davidmichael

No, nothing LVG could do to convince me of him staying another season as with the money he has spent we should be comfortably in the top four and being a genuine top contender for trophies.

This whole sudden madness of this "LVG is bringing youth through, that's our way" thing astounds me as if it wasn't for us having an abysmal injury record, which has been rumoured to be caused by LVG's training, he wouldn't consider the academy players.

None of Rashford, Lingard, Borthwick-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah or Varela would have broke through if Rooney, Martial, Fellaini, Januzaj, Valencia, Darmian, Shaw, Jones, Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Rojo hadn't been injured for long periods all at the same time.

It's more to do with the great work of Warren Joyce with the younger players stepping up when we're down to the bare bones than it is LVG and we'd be worse off if it wasn't for the injuries forcing LVG's hand to play youth.

If he gets champions league qualification and wins a trophy then rather than believing it'd done enough to secure another season I'd see it the least he could do for the next manager coming in so they've got a top level foundation to work off of, whether it's Mourinho or Pocchetino or Giggs I think champions league football gives them a solid foundation to start work from.

Green_Red

Look at over the entire season.
Yea we're in 5th, they're in 10th. League position is the only statistic that counts in that argument.

Not trying to back LvG but I think we have to consider that the board will decide to keep him on if we get top 4..

marlowe78

I think the question of whether or not he stays should be a moot point by now. If we manage to make top 4 or win a trophy this season, it will be entirely by coincidence. As long as LVG has to make decisions, including another of his foolish substitutions, and he keeps being outmanaged by the likes of Tony Pulis and Sam Allardyce, we ain't winning anything with him.

United at this point should only be looking in one direction, to find who is going to replace LVG and what the expectations will be. Mourinho is the obvious choice but I'm not at all sold on this because having him opens another group of issues, regardless of how much he's won. I'm not even getting into his antics, which themselves can piss off many. If we hire Mourinho, we have a good chance for immediate success but he is, like LVG, a 2-3 season manager, so around that time we might be looking at the same questions as we are now. Keeping someone as long as SAF or Wenger isn't realistic anymore but you do hope the person you're bringing in can stay on for at least that long and perhaps beyond that. Mourinho is also just as obstinate and I can picture what this forum would look like if we were hovering above relegation like Jose was doing with Chelsea. That should be really good for a laugh.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Winrar

Yea we're in 5th, they're in 10th. League position is the only statistic that counts in that argument.

Not trying to back LvG but I think we have to consider that the board will decide to keep him on if we get top 4..
I think we're lucky to be 5th and still within some sort of a chance to get top 4, even accounting for that dreadful run we had in december.

great performances have been too far and few in between.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
No, nothing LVG could do to convince me of him staying another season as with the money he has spent we should be comfortably in the top four and being a genuine top contender for trophies.

This whole sudden madness of this "LVG is bringing youth through, that's our way" thing astounds me as if it wasn't for us having an abysmal injury record, which has been rumoured to be caused by LVG's training, he wouldn't consider the academy players.

None of Rashford, Lingard, Borthwick-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah or Varela would have broke through if Rooney, Martial, Fellaini, Januzaj, Valencia, Darmian, Shaw, Jones, Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Rojo hadn't been injured for long periods all at the same time.

It's more to do with the great work of Warren Joyce with the younger players stepping up when we're down to the bare bones than it is LVG and we'd be worse off if it wasn't for the injuries forcing LVG's hand to play youth.

If he gets champions league qualification and wins a trophy then rather than believing it'd done enough to secure another season I'd see it the least he could do for the next manager coming in so they've got a top level foundation to work off of, whether it's Mourinho or Pocchetino or Giggs I think champions league football gives them a solid foundation to start work from.
Injuries have forced his hand and opened up opportunities for the young'uns, but LvG deliberately went with a smaller squad because he didn't want young players to have their paths blocked. There is plenty of criticism you can aim at LvG (including whether having such a small squad was the correct decision) but imo he deserves some credit for being brave enough to utilise the academy rather than just spending more money on the first team.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Forget the injuries - what LVG shown us is we have good youth. I don't care how we found it. We've seen some good performances and most people now respect our youth players more. It pissed me off people going on about other clubs kids when ours get overlooked. Not ready this. Not ready that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Injuries have forced his hand and opened up opportunities for the young'uns, but LvG deliberately went with a smaller squad because he didn't want young players to have their paths blocked. There is plenty of criticism you can aim at LvG (including whether having such a small squad was the correct decision) but imo he deserves some credit for being brave enough to utilise the academy rather than just spending more money on the first team.
Sorry but I can't believe anyone keeps falling for that bs

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Sorry but I can't believe anyone keeps falling for that bs
We registered 21 players this season. 4 were goalkeepers (one of which was an academy player). The remaining 17 includes Varela, Will Keane and Lingard.
From the U21 players that don't need to be registered, let's discount Shaw, Martial and Depay who were all bought for big money for the first team. Hell, let's discount Januzaj too, seeing as he was in the first team mix already.

That's an incredibly small squad to be going into a season in 4 competitions. He either did this on purpose with the intention of giving reserve/U21 players a chance or it was neglect and he just failed to consider that we'd pick up injuries. With the money we have, if he didn't intend on promoting young players he could have bought first team squad players.

Sorry, but I can't believe anyone keeps falling for the bs argument that it was all an accident.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
We registered 21 players this season. 4 were goalkeepers (one of which was an academy player). The remaining 17 includes Varela, Will Keane and Lingard.
From the U21 players that don't need to be registered, let's discount Shaw, Martial and Depay who were all bought for big money for the first team. Hell, let's discount Januzaj too, seeing as he was in the first team mix already.

That's an incredibly small squad to be going into a season in 4 competitions. He either did this on purpose with the intention of giving reserve/U21 players a chance or it was neglect and he just failed to consider that we'd pick up injuries. With the money we have, if he didn't intend on promoting young players he could have bought first team squad players.

Sorry, but I can't believe anyone keeps falling for the bs argument that it was all an accident.
He said himself much earlier in the season that he preferred working with smaller squads.

When asked about the striking situation with Rooney for example, he said that he sold off all of Rooney's competition because he ''didnt believe in competition, but in trust'' (i kid you not, he actually said that)

It was only much later in the season with the injuries piling that he came out with the youngsters thing.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's also not an accident that instead of giving young wingers and defenders a chance from the start of the season he decided to play first team players not on their nominal positions which led to no positive effect whatsoever and early departure from Champions League and title race which this time was a main goal for his 2nd year here.

He wasn't always keen on playing youngsters when he had loads of opportunities. Perhaps he gave up and now and giving more debuts as there's no chance of winning something big. Ironically that was one of the good decisions he made but are you sure you couldn't take that argument ? ...especially when he said himself that he failed the fans after Southampton loss at OT ? Sounds to me like already then he changed his tune and in time we saw more and more academy debuts.

Tyrion

I had "If we get top 4" but I've changed to "If we win the PL". We won't but I'm not sure about Mourinho either.

Personally I'd say give Mourinho the job for 2 years. Reform the club and make things less dependent on the manager and plan for the next appointment. Mourinho is a short term solution. Use that and make it work for us.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

The fact that he tried to sign debuchy and lavezzi in the January window would suggest the kids were far down the list of getting a game

I believe he truly underestimated the English game and the size of squad he'd need

rpitchfo

Lets assume for one second that his decision to incorporate youth through a reduced squad size was deliberate....I think that's even more damning, because it's been an absolute failure.

Let's not forget that the target this season, building on from last season, was to challenge for the title. That then paints the following scenerio.

1. Pre season - LVG assesses the squad, sells those he thinks aren't good enough any more and doesn't replace them as he feels youth players have the necessary quality to challenge for the title.

2. First half of the season - Doesn't really play any youth players, but instead plays the same senior players time and time despite performances being dire, the results get increasingly worse and our form nose dives until we hit relegation form in December.

3. An unbelievable injury crisis means LVG has the "opportunity" (despite trying to loan a number of experienced players) to use the same youth players he felt gave his squad the necessary strength to challenge for the title. We grab a few results playing a more direct style of football.

4. Senior players start returning and we go back to the same shit football.

Struggling to get 4th....with a squad deemed by the manager to be good enough for 1st.

LVG....Genius

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
He said himself much earlier in the season that he preferred working with smaller squads.

When asked about the striking situation with Rooney for example, he said that he sold off all of Rooney's competition because he ''didnt believe in competition, but in trust'' (i kid you not, he actually said that)

It was only much later in the season with the injuries piling that he came out with the youngsters thing.
He is indeed Idiot of the highest order.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Lets assume for one second that his decision to incorporate youth through a reduced squad size was deliberate....I think that's even more damning, because it's been an absolute failure.

Let's not forget that the target this season, building on from last season, was to challenge for the title. That then paints the following scenerio.

1. Pre season - LVG assesses the squad, sells those he thinks aren't good enough any more and doesn't replace them as he feels youth players have the necessary quality to challenge for the title.

2. First half of the season - Doesn't really play any youth players, but instead plays the same senior players time and time despite performances being dire, the results get increasingly worse and our form nose dives until we hit relegation form in December.

3. An unbelievable injury crisis means LVG has the "opportunity" (despite trying to loan a number of experienced players) to use the same youth players he felt gave his squad the necessary strength to challenge for the title. We grab a few results playing a more direct style of football.

4. Senior players start returning and we go back to the same shit football.

Struggling to get 4th....with a squad deemed by the manager to be good enough for 1st.

LVG....Genius
Fantastic summary. Show how much LVG lies about giving youth a chance.