Could we win the CL or Prem next season with the addition of any one player in the world? If yes who do you pick?

simplyared

I’d say we’re lacking a prominent goalscorer more than anything. So for me it would be Harry Kane. May not be enough but I reckon he could put us well on the way.

Note: you can pick any player. Even the ones who wouldn’t be available. Just for fun!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We wouldn't.

People are obsessed with mythical tales of players carrying teams to success.

But if I had to pick it would be Messi. Chance creation has been an issue over the years. He'd resolve that and the likes of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood would be scoring for fun.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
No - unless someone has a way for us to sign a 25-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo? Then maybe :D

The numbers Liverpool and City have won with the last three seasons makes it impossible to think about winning the league from where we are. Bastards.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Mane? Would probably cut the gap between us and Pool but would open it up for City.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Well, we could win the CL by being as jammy as Porto/Chelsea/'05 Liverpool. I don't think any one signing could turn us into the actual best side in either competition though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Messi would be as close a player as there is.

But we'll probably settle for a Grealish at silly money in late Sep

United58

2017 Kante would give us the strongest midfield on the planet.

You could be sneaky and say VVD cause that would also weaken Liverpool. Still don't think it'd be enough

Chipper

Adulterer.
It's not particularly likely but of course we could, if we actually mean could rather than will.

Could do it with the current squad or with the addition of some random, not particularly amazing player. Leicester won the league, Liverpool's Istanbul CL season, Chelsea when they won it etc.Nobody saw those coming.

Making a convincing case that it will happen is another thing altogether though. I don't think anyone is going to buy that.

United58

If we had Leicester 2016/Liverpool 2019 luck with injuries, then I think adding one top class player could make us victorious. Messi all season with our starting XI (minus a forward who'd rotate) would certainly go close.

SwedishFish

Messi could give us a good shot, but it wouldn't be a walk in the park still.

SirAnderson

No squad is guaranteed a title. A lot of factors go into winning trophies than just the squad, even though that is definitely the main aspect. LiVARpool is a clear example.

Paul_Scholes18

Take De Bruyne from City. Making them weaker and us stronger. Although we would then need to play a different formation to make it work.

Web of Bissaka

For CL?
Yes we could, just might snatch a win, it's a luck-based competition.

For Premier League?
No.
City and Pool remains strong.
Even if we stole one player from each (eg. De Bruyne or VVD), then we make one weaker but the other is still strong.

Then again screw it, this is football, it's never a certain thing.

slored1

Maaaaybe VVD. We would weaken Liverpool to the point where they lose 15 points a season and ourselves gain massively with him instead of Lindelof, but probably still lack something to win the league.

davidmichael

Maybe Ronaldo or Messi of 6 or 7 years ago could but there hasn’t been a player in world football capable of doing that since both of those in their peak and I’d be surprised if there’s another player like that anytime soon, Mbappe and all the young lot coming through are NOT Messi or Ronaldo level and never will be.

If we sign Sancho then we’ve certainly got the fire power and creativity to win any one off game IF we’re good defensively too so a Champions League it’s a maybe but we’d need a season like in 2006/07 to win the league where we just kept going even though it wasn’t until the last few games I really believed we’d really win it.

Walters_19_MuFc

Our defensive unit seems pretty solid. By no means is it the finished article, but not a massive priority. I think, as you said, if we had that world class finisher, then those games where we've struggled to kill, thus being punished, will turn into wins. Therefore, if I had a chance to add any player, I'd have to say Lewandowski. Complete striker.

Stretender

Our defensive unit seems pretty solid. By no means is it the finished article, but not a massive priority. I think, as you said, if we had that world class finisher, then those games where we've struggled to kill, thus being punished, will turn into wins. Therefore, if I had a chance to add any player, I'd have to say Lewandowski. Complete striker.
Yeah right. What is solid about Lindelof?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Closest would be Van Dijk for me I think. But still be miles off. As others have said, maybe Messi or Iniesta from a few years back. But not on current form/ability

Ekeke

No but I think 2 players might do it. Especially if it was players from our rivals and they for some reason didnt replace them. For example VVD + Fernandinho to play as a DM. Think that would do us for the league at least.

Tiber

No, we are miles off.

If a prime Ronaldo came in and scored 50 goals across all competitions? Maybe, but that's not an option

Obiorahking_

Yeah if we got Messi. Thats like net 30+ goal contributions and many of the games we drew turn into wins.

Paul_Scholes18

We should be able to win it without any special additions. Just give us a top quality manager and we will stand a chance.

Valencia Shin Crosses

People are severely underrating what Messi would do to teams that we think are "pesky" a la Wolves or Brighton. He'd walk circles around them and bang in probably 40G and 20A in all competitions, which yes would put us in title contention. People seriously underrate our squad I guess, which can be excused after recent years.

el3mel

We're not ready to win any of those.

Finishing 3rd and reaching QF is the best we can do at the moment imo. (Unless we got a favorable draw in QF for sure).

Womp

idiot
Not sure about winning it, but signing Neymar would get us very close imo. Even when he's not at his best, his ability to just carry teams is incredible