Craig Pawson

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
If Casemiro, or probably any United player had gone into the keeper like Mitoma did, the commentators would have gone potty, high, out of control, reckless, all those would have been used, but surprise, surprise, not a peep.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And Mitoma high tackle that caught Casemiro's ankle. Yellow card.

Ospina (I think), pulling out AWB's shirt when he had that good run. No card.

RedfromIreland

If Casemiro, or probably any United player had gone into the keeper like Mitoma did, the commentators would have gone potty, high, out of control, reckless, all those would have been used, but surprise, surprise, not a peep.
Couldn’t believe it. Not even a peep.
It was a terrible tackle.

Brophs

The One and Only
According to the stats:

To reach 5 yellow cards, United would need to have fouled another 8 times.

Brighton would have needed to foul another 68 times.
Solid numbers.

Yorke to Cole

I remember listening to the Manchester is Red podcast after the 3-1 defeat against Arsenal last season and Samuel Luckhurst said in a dead pan tone, but also amusing manner that Craig Pawson was a contender to take over from from Mike Dean (who was retiring the end of the 21-22 season).

Luckhurst (like others) felt that Mike Dean tried to make the match about himself at times when officiating.

Sylar

I'm so surprised he didn't ask March to retake the penalty...

The lack of yellows would have been fine if it was applied to both sides, but it wasn't.
Its shit like this that adds up in game (because they get more leeway to kill our attacks) whilst we don't so that an obvious advantage to them.
Then on top of that we've seen these yellows add up to meaning suspensions.

Nothing will be said because it didn't change the result. United still won, but you can see if BBC studio or commentators had made a big deal out of it, then it would be bigger news

Fitchett

Pawson was completely corrupt today, as he always is against us.
Brighton 17 fouls 1 booking.
United 13 fouls 3 bookings.
Ratios of 17:1 and 4:1.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
And I dare say, their fouls were dirtier. Twice their players left their studs on De Gea.

In most other games, that's an automatic yellow, especially because both times Dave was in a much better position and their players could see it.

SuperiorXI

I don't get why the PL is so diverse in terms of who can play/manage/coach in it etc but when it comes to refereeing no no you must be English. The PL should have the best in class referees from around the world.

AndersB

Would love it if ETH came out and said something about Pawson tonight. Because that was an abomination of a performance.

It probably wouldn't be wise, but I would still love it

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Looking back after being so fecking angry with him all game, the clear errors for me was not booking Webster or Estupinan. Other than that, he wasn't actually that bad. I think was just getting wound up by him and tetchy as feck.

I think in the context of a cup semi final, in ET, the attempt for the ball was genuine from Mitoma and would have been an extremely harsh second yellow.

ElectroManiac

Rashford gets elbow on the rib = No foul
Bruno gets elbow on the face = No foul
Weghorst accidentally elbow a Brighton player while jumping for a ball = Foul straight away

Rasford elbow on his rib was even worse because you can clearly see the Brighton player checking Rashford is about to jump to head the ball and he immediately jump to elbow him

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Looking back after being so fecking angry with him all game, the clear errors for me was not booking Webster or Estupinan. Other than that, he wasn't actually that bad. I think was just getting wound up by him and tetchy as feck.

I think in the context of a cup semi final, in ET, the attempt for the ball was genuine from Mitoma and would have been an extremely harsh second yellow.
What’s the attempt for the ball got to do with it? He was easily half a second late and absolutely clattered De Gea with a dangerous challenge. Anywhere else on the pitch that’s a yellow, it doesn’t need to be cynical.

Jerry Garcia

ETH was in the fourth officials ear the entire match and rightly so. So many odd decisions from Pawson. The DDG challenge was very reckless and deserved a yellow card. But I was more surprised Esutpinan wasn’t booked for nearly pulling down Antony. Pawson played the advantage but it was the easiest booking to make.

Mike Smalling

I don't get why the PL is so diverse in terms of who can play/manage/coach in it etc but when it comes to refereeing no no you must be English. The PL should have the best in class referees from around the world.
Interesting thought that had somehow never occurred to me. I guess you introduce another potential area of bias in refs potentially favoring players of their own nation, but really that is nothing worse than refs having grown up supporting a specific PL club.

I’m loving my life

It’s more significant than you think that the commentators glossed over all of the corrupt decisions today.

Giving nothing to us and favouring our opponents in games is now so normalised that commentators/ media / decision makers don’t even see it as an issue.

The refs are affected by the long term rhetoric against us, maybe subconsciously to a degree. It’s a cycle.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Terrible refereeing yet again. Between the unbalanced leniency (or lack of it for us), and them playing their own game all the time to ‘control the game’ I’m getting really sick of their bullshit.

The amount of times early yellows should be given but aren’t, which should result in second yellows later, is laughable. Just follow the rules ffs

RedDevilQuebecois

Horrible refereeing. The decision that drove me nuts was Pawson not dishing a second yellow card on Kaoru Mitoma (already booked once then) for going in with the studs on De Gea. Brighton should have ended the game down to 10 men.

glasgow 21

The issue is United gets a yellow card for an incident ,ok but what enrages me is 5 mins later a Brighton player did the exact same act and nothing but a free kicks. The ones where we had broke away in midfield and was one pass away for bearing down on their goal. Apparently Talksport commentary was really highlighting Man Utd unbalanced treatment by Pawson and Antony in particularly getting booted around.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What’s the attempt for the ball got to do with it? He was easily half a second late and absolutely clattered De Gea with a dangerous challenge. Anywhere else on the pitch that’s a yellow, it doesn’t need to be cynical.
I think in the context of when and where it was in the game, personally. I agree it is anywhere else on the pitch and I think he was lucky not to get a second yellow, but I can see why he didn't. Would he have done the same for one of our players? I have no idea, but I'd have to hope based on that decision he would

ManUnitedCanuck

always interesting in these matches where it’s said the ref is not to have an impact. But by not acting on certain situations they are having an impact. Not sending a player off that has clearly got a second booking is a big call, but people will say good job for not impacting the match.

Flying high

I'd say it was worse than not a peep. Murphy just rambled some irrelevant crap for at least 30 seconds until the moment had passed.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Well that's just silly. Corrupt? Poor, maybe. Corrupt is a stupid word to use. What do you reckon was happening here?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think in the context of when and where it was in the game, personally. I agree it is anywhere else on the pitch and I think he was lucky not to get a second yellow, but I can see why he didn't. Would he have done the same for one of our players? I have no idea, but I'd have to hope based on that decision he would
Does Casemiro get leniency in that situation? There's your answer.

Abraxas

This all sounds a bit wet. He gave us more yellows, is that really the worst that can be said? It wasn't the best performance but it wasn't ridiculously awful, the football did the talking and no grievous game changing stuff by the ref.

Get In Scholesy

I'm so surprised he didn't ask March to retake the penalty...

The lack of yellows would have been fine if it was applied to both sides, but it wasn't.
Its shit like this that adds up in game (because they get more leeway to kill our attacks) whilst we don't so that an obvious advantage to them.
Then on top of that we've seen these yellows add up to meaning suspensions.

Nothing will be said because it didn't change the result. United still won, but you can see if BBC studio or commentators had made a big deal out of it, then it would be bigger news
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, matches officiated like today ruin the spectacle. It’s a debacle

Last edited:

Corey

Agree with everyone else that Pawson was poor (pun intended) today.

I was only able to watch the game from around the 65th minute onwards and I counted 4 clear yellow cards that Brighton should have been given but weren't. One of which (Mitoma) was should have been a second yellow. Plus the foul on Rashford was almost certainly going to be a clear goalscoring chance so could've been a red.

Idxomer

Mitoma was clumsy as feck, he had a chance to make himself stop and didn't.

It's a straight red.

arnie_ni

Mitoma was clumsy as feck, he had a chance to make himself stop and didn't.

It's a straight red.
Ddg didn't make enough of a scene from it. Didn't even get a Var check. How's it any less worse than casemiros red against Southampton?

JustinC00

This all sounds a bit wet. He gave us more yellows, is that really the worst that can be said? It wasn't the best performance but it wasn't ridiculously awful, the football did the talking and no grievous game changing stuff by the ref.
I don't know how anyone could have watched that match and came away with this take. They were able to mug us with impunity. While we weren't. Lindelof getting a yellow for a shirt grab but their player who grabbed AWB's gets no yellow. It's the same exact foul, That's how refs change matches. Lindelof then has to be careful and not be as aggressive because he's on a yellow. Then there is the fact Mitoma should have been off. . Casemiro & Shaw got a yellows today for less. Won't even get into the clear foul on Rashford when he was onside and going to be in on goal, only for it to somehow be called on him.

Ludens the Red

His refusal to book Brighton players was fecking me off all game. He of course booked our players for cynical fouls but for some reason didn’t do for them on three separate occasions.

The Kag

I don't know how anyone could have watched that match and came away with this take. They were able to mug us with impunity. While we weren't. Lindelof getting a yellow for a shirt grab but their player who grabbed AWB's gets no yellow. It's the same exact foul, That's how refs change matches. Lindelof then has to be careful and not be as aggressive because he's on a yellow. Then there is the fact Mitoma should have been off. . Casemiro & Shaw got a yellows today for less. Won't even get into the clear foul on Rashford when he was onside and going to be in on goal, only for it to somehow be called on him.
Don't forget the one on Dalot during that counter. Taken down by a challenge that was about three hours late, but no yellow. It completely changes the landscape of a match when one team essentially has impunity, whilst the other one doesn't. It affects how you pressure, tactical fouls, substitutions, morale and temperment, etc. It doesn't much matter to me as to what the "why" is. Pick your poison; incompetence, hatred, bribery, the end result is the same. Objectively terrible refereeing which has no place in the game, let alone a semi-final. I don't see how anyone could argue in favor of that performance. Referee was an absolute disgrace.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I noticed that as well. They showed they incident six or seven times directly after it, so the feed producer obviously thought it was important, and yet the commentators didn't have a single word to say about it.

Abraxas

I didn't say it was a good performance by Pawson, it wasn't, I just think it's all a bit over the top and dramatic for what occurred. It amounts to some yellow cards given and not given. If that's the worst thing in a refs performance I'll probably take that in a semi final, he didn't put himself in the way of a result.

RedDevil@84

I didn't say it was a good performance by Pawson, it wasn't, I just think it's all a bit over the top and dramatic for what occurred. It amounts to some yellow cards given and not given. If that's the worst thing in a refs performance I'll probably take that in a semi final, he didn't put himself in the way of a result.
Guess your benchmark of bad refereeing is Barca Chelsea level of blatant corruption.

Didn't put himself in way!! That's just bollocks. He tried a lot, but Brighton were wasteful. They had their chances.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Mitoma should've got a second yellow, and how many times did that Webster guy foul our players without getting a yellow?

Wing Attack Plan R

A booked player backs off and plays more conservatively, which affords the opposition more time and space. Every booking earned but not given to Brighton negatively impacted our team. There were 3 or 4 instances that would have given new impetus to our attack had they been given.