Cricket Draft - Tests

NM

so do people really feel 4 bowlers is enough against the quality batsmen they are facing in this draft?

zing

Zingle balls
4 quality bowlers, yes. On average, 2.5 wickets per bowler. This should be expected of high class bowlers.

Michael Holding says the same thing about real life attacks with much less quality. Fifth bowler(even as an all rounder) is redundant.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Any comments on my team, lads? I know it's nowhere near as good as DD's so you can give some fake compliments to make me feel better on this depressing rainy morning :(
It's great. Unfortunately for you Gavaskar won't fetch you as many votes as he should

NM

4 quality bowlers, yes. On average, 2.5 wickets per bowler. This should be expected of high class bowlers.

Michael Holding says the same thing about real life attacks with much less quality. Fifth bowler(even as an all rounder) is redundant.

But would any real life attack face the quality of batsmen in this draft? There are usually 1 or 2 premier batsmen in each team. This draft has 4-5 per team.

crappycraperson

Scout
But would any real life attack face the quality of batsmen in this draft? There are usually 1 or 2 premier batsmen in each team. This draft has 4-5 per team.

Not true

Oz had one point had - Hayden, Langer, Pointing, Gilchirst. (Even Steve waugh was in there for some time but langer was not)
India had - Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, Laxman
SA right now has - Smith, Amla, Kallis and AB

NM

Not true

Oz had one point had - Hayden, Langer, Pointing, Gilchirst. (Even Steve waugh was in there for some time but langer was not)

I don't count Langer in that top bracket, and neither is Smith. Haven't seen enough of AB to comment on him. Sehwag/Dravid/Laxman/Sachin was a one-off.

NM

Not true

Thanks though - this is giving me more insight into what my team for the semis (if I make it) needs to be!

crappycraperson

Scout
I don't count Langer in that top bracket, and neither is Smith. Haven't seen enough of AB to comment on him. Sehwag/Dravid/Laxman/Sachin was a one-off.
Greame Smith is class, better test opener than Sehwag.

Moby

Dick
:eek:

Smith is absolute class, man. He's got the grit and determination to bat in the toughest of situations. His 4th innings average shows that, which is phenomenal.

I would go on and compare him to Hayden as one of the best modern openers. Tough as nails, Graeme.

Moby

Dick
With the same logic you can say the bowling attacks are also stronger than a regular test attack in last 3 decades apart from couple of exceptions.

I do sort of agree with 4 quality bowlers being enough. 5th and 6th bowlers play a role mainly either to give a rest to the frontline bowlers or provide variety and try to break a partnership. Of course having a quality all rounder is great and definitely adds a lot, but if you don't have a quality all rounder you won't be adding a 5th bowler and weakening your batting. I've always preferred 6-1-4 rather than 5-1-5.

zing

Zingle balls
Greame Smith is class, better test opener than Sehwag.
Yea.

And I think our Indian quartet were never really at their dominant best all together at the same time.

Dravid went through a horrendous slump when Sehwag and Sachin were piling it on.

NM

Ok guys - advise time.

Current Team:

Anwar
Stewart
Kallicharran
Chappell
Inzamam
Adams
Imran
Yardley
Srinath
Garner
MacGill

2 subs.

What I am sure of is: Srinath OUT. Holding/Ambrose In

the second one is more challenging:

It will be Adams OUT. Miandad/Flower/Gilchrist in.

I will also NOT be playing Yardley - I will play Jeremy Coney instead (averaged 37 with bat and 35 with ball in 35 test matches.

That leaves me with either:

Anwar or Anwar
Stewart Stewart
Kallicharran Kallicharran
Chappel Chappel
Miandad Inzamam
Inzamam Gilchrist/Flower
Imran Imran
Coney Coney
Holding/Ambrose Holding/Ambrose
Garner Garner
MacGill MacGill

This leaves me with 3 quicks, a spinner and a part-time, with batting all the way to 8..

Taking Gilchrist/Flower allows me to upgrade Stewart if I win the semis, while taking Miandad allows me to get two of the best batsmen from the 70s/80s.

Thoughts/advise?

Also, Ambrose or Holding? I prefer Ambrose but wanted to get thoughts here

crappycraperson

Scout
Flower at 6 is waste for me. So it has to be Gilchirst if it is below 5.

I would pick Miandad though, he will get the respect of having faced some of the best bowlers ever

Spoony

The People's President
Holding is probably the greatest fast bowler ever, besides, that elegant run up and gazelle like action should be enough. Yes I'm that cheap... But he was proper eye candy. I'm sure most Windies fans would choose him over Ambrose and possibly any other West Indian quick...though Marshall would run him close. And Miandad was clearly better than Inzamam. I'd definitely go with those two.

Moby

Dick
Holding is probably the greatest fast bowler ever, besides, that elegant run up and gazelle like action should be enough. Yes I'm that cheap... But he was proper eye candy. I'm sure most Windies fans would chose him over Ambrose and possibly any other West Indian quick...though Marshall would run him close. And Miandad was clearly better than Inzamam. I'd definitely go with those two.
I guess Marshall overall would be rated the highest due to his deadly efficiency in every condition.

But yeah, Holding is up there. He was there when the carribean revival started and was one of the biggest weapons Lloyd had. In terms of importance to the growth of the team he was crucial and remained consistent for a long time. Deadly pace and skill, he had that x factor.

And of course, the coolest nickname in cricket history and a sublime accent to go with it. He's one for the romantics.

Spoony

The People's President
Tell you what, Big Bird was great and all, I've been reminiscing lately, thankfully youtube have loads of old clips...and yeah Garner was one hell of a bowler, as Alan Hansen would say...pace, bounce and carry. The lot. For me better than Ambrose. Seems to be a dearth of brilliant genuine quicks in the current era. Shame really, because it's what I love most about cricket.

Spoony

The People's President
The great thing about Marshall was that he adapted so well after losing a yard or two. He had fantastic control of swing.

NM

Take both Holding and Ambrose :D
Trust me.. I want to.

Imran/Holding/Garner/Ambrose.. Would I even need MacGill????

Flower at 6 is waste for me. So it has to be Gilchirst if it is below 5.

I would pick Miandad though, he will get the respect of having faced some of the best bowlers ever
Flower is out I think. Leaning towards Miandad

Holding is probably the greatest fast bowler ever, besides, that elegant run up and gazelle like action should be enough. Yes I'm that cheap... But he was proper eye candy. I'm sure most Windies fans would choose him over Ambrose and possibly any other West Indian quick...though Marshall would run him close. And Miandad was clearly better than Inzamam. I'd definitely go with those two.
Miandad would replace Adams. Inzy would drop. The problem is that I'm stuck with Stewart as an openner then, and he isn't amazing. If I pick Gilly, I can drop Stewart later on if I win the semis.

Er.. Pardon me, but why can't Ambrose be in place of Coney?

I could, but people seem to think 5 bowlers are not needed. I can only pick 2 players. 1 has to be an upgrade on Srinath. I am droppiing Yardley (my offspinner) and playing Coney (batting all rounder) because everybody thinks 5 bowlers are not needed. I'd like to drop Adams and take Gilly/Inzamam.

Does that make sense now?

The alternate is to say feck batting, and just go with this:

Anwar
Stewart
Kallicharran
Chappell
Inazamam
Adams/Coney
Imran
Holding
Garner
Ambrose
MacGill

What does everybody think of that?

NM

Tell you what, Big Bird was great and all, I've been reminiscing lately, thankfully youtube have loads of old clips...and yeah Garner was one hell of a bowler, as Alan Hansen would say...pace, bounce and carry. The lot. For me better than Ambrose. Seems to be a dearth of brilliant genuine quicks in the current era. Shame really, because it's what I love most about cricket.

100% this. Dearth of great bowlers in general. The only "great" bowler around right now (IMO) is Steyn.

Moby

Dick
Agree as well.

Only if Aamir wasn't a match fixing cnut, we could have seen him develop into one of the best given the potential he had!

Spoony

The People's President
How about promoting Gilly to opener? But yeah that bowling line up would get through most, however Miandad was the type of batsman you'd want to bat for your life. He'd add so much steel to your batting line up.

NM

How about promoting Gilly to opener? But yeah that bowling line up would get through most, however Miandad was the type of batsman you'd want to bat for your life. He'd add so much steel to your batting line up.

I know.. That's why I'm kinda stumped. I really want to go with the bowling, but think my batting (Adams and Stewart) will stick out a bit.

Moby

Dick
Possibly, but I dunno I never saw of him to be fully convinced that he was the real deal.
He definitely showed great potential and if not for injuries and suspensions (which went on to be the case) I could have seen him become one of the best in the world, specially with the current level of quicks we have. He showed great talent at a very young age. One can never predict for sure but to me he looked the business.

The way he swung the ball was mind boggling!

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Bond was the one who had real potential if you ask me. Pace, swing and a lovely action to go with it. Pity about his injuries

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Cummins, Pattinson and Finn all look quality prospects. The trouble is the first two of them are ridiculously injury prone whilst Finn is very inconsistent.

Spoony

The People's President
I feel like talking about Willis. Just check out his performances in the subcontinent. Brilliant bowler who sadly seems to get over looked because let's face it...a lack of charisma.

Spoony

The People's President
Cummins, Pattinson and Finn all look quality prospects. The trouble is the first two of them are ridiculously injury prone whilst Finn is very inconsistent.
Finn has the tools, he ought to be a very very good bowler.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Finn has the tools, he ought to be a very very good bowler.
He should be. Bowls 150k, nice height and action. Bit confused why England dropped him for Bresnan or Tremlett.