Cricket ODI Auction Draft

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
@Edgar Allan Pillow sends in Sehwag up top to face Malcom Marshall and chase down a score of 18

Ball 1 .. Sehwag just tries an ugly pull shot on a yorker and he is Gone!

Identical start to both innings...

Out comes the best modern ODI batsmen of all time.. Virat Kohli.. can he better his one time captain Dhoni..

Ball 2-.. an ugly slog on a bouncer and no runs

Ball 3 .. Kohli tries the same shot again and this time the slog connects the good length ball.. SIX!.. he keeps him team in it.

Ball 4- ... It is a BOUNCER from Marshall... can Kohli connect...... oh yes .. it is pulled to midwicket for a huge SIX!!!

Just 7 needed off last 2 balls now to win this..

crappycraperson

Scout
A lot of nervous energy out there now... Kohli coming through in yet another chase.. can he finish it?

Ball 5. .. Marshall seems clueless about what to do next and he tries a bog standard yorker... Kohli goes for another slog.... and it is just 2 runs.

5 needed off the last bowl... Kohli needs a six.. a tie means Mani wins due to more number of sixes.

crappycraperson

Scout
Final deliver...

Ball 6.. Marshall .. perhaps the best test bowler of all time, seems out of place in the modern day Russian Roulette that is Super Over...

It 's a GOOD LENGTH delivery.

Kohli...

SLOGS it!

It's a SIX... all over.

Congrats @Edgar Allan Pillow @The Man Himself .... Sorry @Mani .. bad way to lose but you surely will get another shot via best losers bracket.

crappycraperson

Scout
I did this real time without first checking what will be eventual outcome. :lol: No way I thought Edgar would chase this down especially after the first two deliveries.. can't believe how this turned out. :lol:

crappycraperson

Scout
Bowler - McGrath

Ball 1 - Yorker
Ball 2 - Bouncer
Ball 3 - Good Length
Ball 4 - Bouncer
Ball 5 - Good Length
Ball 6 - Yorker

Batsmen - Sehwag / Kohli

Hit 1- Pull
Hit 2- Slog
Hit 3-Slog
Hit 4-Pull
Hit 5-Slog
Hit 6 -Slog

Bowler - M.Marshall(Choose one bowler)
Options: Yorker, Bouncer, Good Length (can choose only one for a ball, only two bouncers allowed)
Ball 1 -Yorker
Ball 2 -Bouncer
Ball 3 -Good Length
Ball 4 -Bouncer
Ball 5 -Yorker
Ball 6 -Good Length

Batsmen - S.Jayasurya/ MS.Dhoni (Choose two batsmen)
Options - Pull, Drive , Slog (Choose one option for all 6 hits)
Hit 1-Pull
Hit 2-Slog
Hit 3-Slog
Hit 4-Drive
Hit 5-Slog
Hit 6 -Drive

Mani

That’s good match to loose,congrats Eap/TMH
Never expected I will be available when the results for super over would be announced.
Fecking nervous :lol:

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Haha just saw this and went post by post to keep up excitement. Very good write up :D.

@Mani tough luck here and good luck for playoffs which you will be surely contesting.

Round 1 Match #3

crappycraperson

Scout
Round 1 Match #3 - Anant vs Fiskey

Please adjudicate as to which team will win over a 3 match series with a match each on following pitches -

#2 Good batting pitch with assistance for seamers/pacers - Reasonably good surface for batsmen; fast bowlers can exploit some movement off the pitch with new ball along with reasonable bounce; no particular assistance for slow bowlers or spinners.
#3 Good batting pitch with assistance for spinners - Reasonably good surface for batsmen; fast bowlers will get no help from the pitch; spinners will be able to exploit the pitch with an older ball
#5 Good bowling pitch for slow bowlers/spinners: slow bowlers/spinners will be get assistance throughout the match; pacers will not get any assistance; batsmen will have to dig deep to make runs against slow bowlers.

Team anant

1. Hayden
2. Watson
3. Pointing (capt)
4. Sangakarra (wk)
5. Kallis
6. D. Miller
7. R. Jadeja
8. Kapil Dev
9. Narine
10. Boult
11. Ntini

Team Fiskey

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Quinton De Kock
3. Joe Root
4. Angelo Matthews
5. Hanse Cronje
6. Imran Khan
7. Moeen Ali
8. Keiron Pollard
9. Darren Gough
10. Dale Steyn
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

crappycraperson

Scout
Write ups

Team anant

PlayerBatting AverageS/RBowling AverageBowling S/REconomyComments
Hayden43.878.96ICC ODI Player of the year 2007
Watson40.5490.4431.7938.44.95Batting average 45.14 as opener at S/R of 91.69
Ponting (capt)42.0480.39Part of the ODI Team of the year 5 times from 2004 to retirement
Sangakkara41.9978.86Among the only 3 players to have scored 1000+ runs in 4 consecutive years
Kallis44.3672.8931.7931.794.84Highest difference in batting and bowling average for any player who has bowled in atleast 60 innings
Miller40.38100.62Among the 5 players who have a S/R of >100 and average >40
Jadeja31.8885.9636.5744.74.89Got Sachin run out in that Hyderabad Innings, so won't write anything positive about him
Kapil Dev23.7995.0727.4544.23.71Among the few players who averaged 20+ with bat and less than 30 with the ball
Narine1182.3126.4638.44.12Among 7 spinners who have a S/R<40, Average<30 and Economy <4.5
Boult9.3574.6425.2930.15.03Part of ODI Team of the year on 3 occassions
Ntini8.6566.7724.6532.64.53Among handful of pacers who have average <25 Economy <5 and S/R <35

Batting

Openers

Opening the batting for me would be a left hand right hand opening combination in Watson and Hayden. Both average close to 45 as openers and have the ability to pace their innings to perfection. Watson would assume the role of attacking in the powerplay overs while Hayden will just give him support from the other end.

Middle Order and Lower Middle Order

In Ponting, Sanga and Kallis, we have close to 40k ODI runs, 72 centuries, 261 half centuries and each of them has an incredible record of scoring a 50+ score once every 3-3.25 games.

Next in would be David Miller, who has an incredible S/R of 100.62 and averages 40+ despite scoring at such a rate.

Considering my MO will last till 40-42nd over irrespective of the bowling attack thanks to them being technically solid players, Miller can pair up with Jadeja and go Boom Boom in the last few overs. Even if we do lose a wicket here, at #8 will come a very capable batsman in Kapil Dev. Captained the Indian side to the unlikeliest of WC wins in 1983, Dev is the only player who had a S/R of 90+ among all players who scored 1500+ runs and played their entire career before the turn of the century.

Narine, while not having a great ODI record, has ability to hit the boundaries required as well in the worst case scenario.

Bowling

In Trent Boult we have one of the most feared ODI bowlers of this generation. A brilliant disciplined bowler who can swing the ball both ways even on the most unresponsive pitches (This bit is by cricinfo and I seriously don’t know a lot about him as I just watch WC matches here and there). He’s played a significant role in taking New Zealand to two consecutive WC finals and could have won NZ the WC as well had the English feckers not had all the luck in the world.

Despite being an idol of Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela became among the most feared bowlers at his peak. Ntini is among the handful of pacers who averaged less than 25 and kept an economy rate of less than 5.

On the pace bowling department front, we also have Kapil Dev who was one of the most disciplined bowlers of his generation and had lethal outswingers

If that’s not enough, we can always call Kallis – arguably the greatest allrounder in ODI history (refer comments in the table) and Watson as well.

On the spin department front, we have Narine – a bowler whose economy rate is just 4.12 in times when even an economy rate of 5 is considered pretty good! He can stop the flow of runs against the finest of batsmen and force the batsmen to make mistakes under such pressure.

Lastly, we have Sir Jadeja – a player who is handy with both bat and bowl. Can score runs at a great pace and can take wickets of both opponents as well as teammates!

Why I win

Bowling Variations
- We have all sorts of bowlers – left arm, right arm, guys who can swing, guys who possess raw pace, spinner against whom batsmen still struggle and 2 of the finest all rounders in the game to help the team out. Add to that, Fiskey’s batting depth is basically till 3 down and that is if I include Matthews in there, whose stats are padded because of number of Not outs (basically comes on for last 4-6 overs thanks to Sanga and Jaya doing the majority of the work). Considering Boult’s 45% of total wickets are top order batsmen, Dev’s 40% wickets are top order batsmen, Ntini’s 50.4% wickets are top order batsmen, I’d expect his tail starting at #5/6 exposed pretty early in the game.

Batting Discipline – Let’s be honest, even if I take into account the fact that Fiskey has Steyn, Murali and Khan, we have some of the best batsmen of all time in our ranks to tackle them. Our scoring rate wouldn’t be high, but even if we can score at 4.5-5 RPO against them and not lose wickets, we can accelerate against the likes of Pollard and Gough and Matthews.

Captain – having 2 of the greatest ODI captains of all time and 3 players who have won multiple WCs should definitely help with the mentality. My players would be dressed all smart, whereas I’d expect his players to come to the pitch in ridiculous white suits and they’d have lost the Cup final there itself. The winning mentality in my side and the experience of big games would definitely help my side get over the line in crunch situations – having cnuts in Ponting and Hayden will also help.

Pitch choices – Jadeja in the subcontinent is a fantastic option to have. Unlike Ali who averages 57 in Asia, Jadeja averages just 32 in the subcontinent. Murali might be the best spinner in the matchup but 20 overs by my spinners will be key in this matchup. On pace friendly conditions, I can rely on my 3 pacers wreaking havoc in his top order and then Watson and Kallis chipping in as well to restrict his side to an extremely low score..

Team Fiskey

Team:

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Quinton De Kock
3. Joe Root
4. Angelo Matthews
5. Hanse Cronje
6. Imran Khan
7. Moeen Ali
8. Keiron Pollard
9. Darren Gough
10. Dale Steyn
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Weaknesses

I think my biggest weakness is probably the middle order. On a seaming pitch, should I think my biggest chance of losing would be losing a couple of early wickets. My hope would be that Matthews, Cronje and Khan as leaders and fighters would be able to fight through such a situation.

Strengths

I think I have a good chance on a spinning pitch. Muralitharan speaks for himself, and I would have the potential to bowl 30 overs of spin with Root and Ali. I really like my top 3, Anwar was a cricketer very much in the modern mould of one day openers and Root averages over 50 coming in at number 3. I actually think Root has been a better one day player than test player so far in his career, and his contribution to England's world cup winning team is underrated.

Result - anant won on super over 18 to 14

Last edited:

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I didn't mention in my write up, but I consider Pollard to be a floater in the order. Plan for him to bat last 10, maybe last 15 if we're in a very strong position.

Fiskey

As a thought before I go to bed, although Ponting, Sanga and Kallis are three of my favourite players, players I grew up watching, I think they are all number 3s in an ideal one day side. I felt Australia were weaker in the last world cup trying to shoe horn Kawaja and Smith into 3 and 4, and Anant's team has that problem, despite them all being brilliant players. Kallis at 5 in particular would worry me. I also think that Sanga and Kallis were at their best in Test Matches, rather than ODIs.

I picked Gough primarily as a death bowler, he was one of the best yorker bowlers in the world in his day. I think it would be really difficult for @anant to have a 70+ run last 10 against Murali, Gough, Steyn and Imran and I don't think my middle overs would be punished as would be the case if you had a Buttler/Symonds type batting at 5. I'll struggle to get them out (apart from on the spinning pitch) but I don't see a combination of Matthews and Ali (some Root on the spinning pitches) going the distance in the middle with Kallis coming in at 5.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not a fan of anants middle order, great on paper but they are out of position, Kallis should be swapped with Ponting. Kallis was an anchor coming in at 5 and asking him to score quickly isn't going to work, while Ricky was pretty aggressive and could accelerate the innings, even though coming in at 5 isn't the best use of his talents either. Fiskey's mo isn't that great in terms of quality but I feel his bowling will win more games.

Mani

Angelo and Imran need to interchange places for Fiskey, and Anant got to interchange places between Ponting,Sanga and Kallis, (one too many 1 down batsmen )gone with Anant felt that he got better batting among both teams,Kallis is wasted at 5 and I don't get the point of Pollard of 8, could've picked other available spinner in his place.

crappycraperson

Scout
Kallis at 5 is a problem for anant but his batting is still superior to Fiskey for me. Opening pair is solid with Hayden and Watson, then has two players in Sanga and Pointing who are capable of playing a big innings. Even if Kallis is wasted, his lower order of Miller, Jadeja and Kapil is great.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Addressing the issue of Kallis at #5, I'd agree it's not his natural position and his talents are being wasted somewhat, but Kallis is going to play the anchorman in that partnership. I don't expect him to hit the ball out of the park and the batsman on the other side - Hayden, Watson, Ponting, Sanga will be taking over the role of the aggressor. On bowling friendly pitches, I believe it's more important to have technically sound players batting till deep to avoid a batting collapse.
With these 3 in MO, I'm more than guaranteed that Miller won't come before the 40th-42nd over even on the most challenging pitches, and then can attack the opposition bowler. However, on the same pitch even with a slightly not so great bowling lineup I can expose his lower MO by 30th over or so in the worst case scenario.

Edit: FYI - Kallis at #5 - 23 Innings, 2 centuries, 7 half-centuries, Avg. 48.82

Fiskey

Angelo and Imran need to interchange places for Fiskey, and Anant got to interchange places between Ponting,Sanga and Kallis, (one too many 1 down batsmen )gone with Anant felt that he got better batting among both teams,Kallis is wasted at 5 and I don't get the point of Pollard of 8, could've picked other available spinner in his place.
I think Angelo is a better batsman than Imran, and I really like the way he can bat during all phases of a one day match whereas I'm not sure I'd like Iran coming in on a seaming pitch after the loss of a couple quick wickets. Pollard is to float in the order, but he gives me that acceleration we need towards the end. For most of his career he's also been a sensational fielder as well. I felt I had enough spin with Moeen and Root, and unless I got someone like Tahir, ie a proper difference maker I decided I'd rather the batting.

Mani

I think Angelo is a better batsman than Imran, and I really like the way he can bat during all phases of a one day match whereas I'm not sure I'd like Iran coming in on a seaming pitch after the loss of a couple quick wickets. Pollard is to float in the order, but he gives me that acceleration we need towards the end. For most of his career he's also been a sensational fielder as well. I felt I had enough spin with Moeen and Root, and unless I got someone like Tahir, ie a proper difference maker I decided I'd rather the batting.
Imran can , classic example is 92 WC final after the early loss of wkts he along with Javed played the proper innings so batsmen's came after him Inzy and Akram dominated the English attack.

Fiskey

Imran can , classic example is 92 WC final after the early loss of wkts he along with Javed played the proper innings so batsmen's came after him Inzy and Akram dominated the English attack.
Yeah, that was an unbelievable knock and huge stones from the captain.

Himannv

I dislike Sanga and Kallis in those positions but I think @anant just about has this.

I don't rate Cronje in this format and especially not at 5. Also I think Kapil Dev is better in this format than Imran Khan, which is probably strange considering it's the opposite in Tests. Don't like Pollard either as he just doesn't fire often enough.

Fiskey

I dislike Sanga and Kallis in those positions but I think @anant just about has this.

I don't rate Cronje in this format and especially not at 5. Also I think Kapil Dev is better in this format than Imran Khan, which is probably strange considering it's the opposite in Tests. Don't like Pollard either as he just doesn't fire often enough.
I was young at the time, but my memories of Cronje was he was a very good ODI player? In the 99 world cup I remember my Dad holding him in very high esteem, and he always batted 5 or 6.

Obviously his career has been completely overshadowed by the match fixing, but you don't get made captain of South Africa at the age he was unless you have something about you.

Mani

I was young at the time, but my memories of Cronje was he was a very good ODI player? In the 99 world cup I remember my Dad holding him in very high esteem, and he always batted 5 or 6.

Obviously his career has been completely overshadowed by the match fixing, but you don't get made captain of South Africa at the age he was unless you have something about you.
Cronje average batsmen and decent medium pace bowler,He used to pick Sachin’s wkt more often.Good captain but struggled against Aussies.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Ah ffs missed voting. Checked at around 5:30PM IST and couldn't straight away decide which one is better. Wanted to give it a thought later but got busy in work and forgot.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What is the tiebreaker for the three lucky losers if four teams are eliminated in the super over?

Mani

So rules are already there, send your choices guys.Hope this is more dramatic than last night:D

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So rules are already there, send your choices guys.Hope this is more dramatic than last night:D
I've sent my choices. No way this can be more dramatic than yesterday