Cricket

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pakistan winning the T20 series against NZ. Good stuff after getting hammered in the ODIs & back to being the #1 ranked side in T20.

NinjaFletch

Interesting Jofra Archer problem.

Now he has his IPL contract, and having been at the BBL, if he plays one more franchise tournament he will have been out of England too long this year to qualify for England in 2022.

He's in the PSL replacement draft so we may see as soon as tomorrow whether he's bothered about ever playing international cricket or not.

Interesting Jofra Archer problem.

Now he has his IPL contract, and having been at the BBL, if he plays one more franchise tournament he will have been out of England too long this year to qualify for England in 2022.

He's in the PSL replacement draft so we may see as soon as tomorrow whether he's bothered about ever playing international cricket or not.
I found the rules strange
Needs 7yr residency but has a British passport the BBC article said. I’m sure if true and he challenged it he could play for England straight away

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
It's an ECB rule, but you're right I'm not sure on the legality of it.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/563328.html
I came across an Archer interview the other day on the Sussex YouTube channel whilst I was looking at some of his highlights and he invoked Sam Curran's selection in the T20s as hope for qualifying quicker for England. The issue with that is the younger Curran was born in England and he played for age teams so I imagine he already had an English passport/residency etc. This suggests to me Archer does not have a foggiest on what he has to do (i.e. spend at least a certain period of time in the UK year-on-year).

Surely the ECB should be on this pronto advising Archer on what he needs to do. Not sure they would want to undercut their own rule however flimsy it is.

NinjaFletch

I came across an Archer interview the other day on the Sussex YouTube channel whilst I was looking at some of his highlights and he invoked Sam Curran's selection in the T20s as hope for qualifying quicker for England. The issue with that is the younger Curran was born in England and he played for age teams so I imagine he already had an English passport/residency etc. This suggests to me Archer does not have a foggiest on what he has to do (i.e. spend at least a certain period of time in the UK year-on-year).

Surely the ECB should be on this pronto advising Archer on what he needs to do. Not sure they would want to undercut their own rule however flimsy it is.
I doubt the ECB care.

As good a player as Archer obviously is if they wanted players like him in the team they wouldn't have bought the rule in in the first place.

My guess is Archer gets picked up for the PSL tomorrow, has a good IPL and then pressure is put on the ECB in the press for the ECB to abolish their self defeating rule. What they do from there I don't know, but I would guess he either plays for England within the next year or never does.

NinjaFletch

Jofra did indeed get picked up by the Quetta Gladiators. Interesting to see what happens from here (or if anyone even notices?).

ArmchairCritic

Jofra did indeed get picked up by the Quetta Gladiators. Interesting to see what happens from here (or if anyone even notices?).
Did some sleuthing on Twitter to check on this and found this which suggests Sussex are well on top of it all:

zing

Zingle balls
They're too good for u19.

Ishan porel seemed very impressive.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They're too good for u19.

Ishan porel seemed very impressive.
Read opening bowler was bowling over 140 kmph which is impressive for U19s. Wonder who many of these are signed for IPL. Last wonder boy from U19 barely made any impact.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Gill will make it into our team. He's a class act. So will Mavi.

KM

I thought same.

IE: Rashid Khan the spinner looks way over the age claimed.

Both of the above are part of their U19 and are "only" 17.
It's a joke.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Gill looks to have a great present and future in the game.

Typical Pakistan. I mean, they can be world beaters or worst on the planet on any given day.

ArmchairCritic

:lol:, how on earth couldn't the commentators twig what was going on?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'll get to see S Africa and India in the one-dayers. A couple of games are being played near where I'll be based for a few weeks. :drool:

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
An amazing stat: Australia's Sir Donald Bradman scored 1671 runs at an average of 128.53 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

To put that into context, Bangladesh's Mominul Haque has only managed 763 at an average of 95.37 at Chittagong.

Which should surely put the Bradman vs Haque debate finally to bed!

KM

High class test match going on between Lanka and Bangladesh.

Bangla scored 513 and Lanka are 333/2. Exciting cricket :drool:

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

:lol:, how on earth couldn't the commentators twig what was going on?
I think even the umpires were involved. No umpire would give the runout at 1:10 sec without consulting the 3rd umpire

ChrisNelson

I saw Willey do exactly the same a couple of years ago for Northants, 34 off an over. When he's in the zone, he can hit the ball a mile and is a match winner. He does still have a bit of work to do to put these kinds of performances in a bit more consistently. When I say that I don't mean 34 off an over but just pure destruction.