Cricket

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Jesus christ, this lad Gill is an incredible batsman to watch.

zing

Zingle balls
Have to say though. This is the poorest u19 australian bowling I've seen. Seen the last four world cups.

KM

Have to say though. This is the poorest u19 australian bowling I've seen. Seen the last four world cups.
They're awful. All of them bowl at 125-130k.

MDFC Manager

Manjot looks like a rudimentary Yuvraj clone. Especially the way he winds up before unleashing his strokes.

MDFC Manager

Hah so comfortable from start of the tournament and to the finish :D:D Perfection in pretty much every match.

KM

Such a dominant display. If Gill doesn't make it in the team in the next two years then something has gone wrong.

KM

What a guy.

Can you imagine Shastri saying something like this?

Mani

Its time for Dravid to lead the seniors.
Impressed with Nagarkoti, bowling consistently at 145+,hope IPL never spoil these talents.

kotha

No it's not.. I would rather have Shastri go through the whole England tour and all.. Don't want the pressure on Dravid as soon as he gets announced..

Either way i think it'll be a good year or two till Shastri is kicked out..

Is having a different coach for the Test team and the ODI/T20 team a good idea?

midnightmare

Blooming Hell! When was the last time the fastest bowlers in an India vs anyone (and that too Australia) match were all on the Indian side? Surprised, to put it mildly. Pleasantly, I must admit.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
RIP Bev Congdon(a day short of his 80th birthday)

Remember watching a sensational innings from Bev Congdon in the 1st Test @ Trent Bridge 1973, where he scored 176 as New Zealand chased the improbable 479 to win after being bowled out for 97 in the first innings, falling only 40 runs short.

England 250 & 325-8 dec
NZ 97 & 440

ChrisNelson

So within the last 24 hours both Adil Rashid and Alex Hales have signed new deals with their counties, to play white ball cricket only, effectively ending their Test careers.

I can't help but feel that the longer form of the game is in the early stages of a very slow death. Certainly if this trend continues the quality of players available in the Championship and at Test level in a few years will be at a much lower level than it is now.

There are pundits out there who feel that in 10 years there will only be 6 Test playing nations left - England, Australia, South Africa, India, Pakistan and New Zealand. If the other countries are losing money and not getting people through the turnstiles for Test cricket then they won't lose any sleep over abandoning it.

I've watched a hell of a lot of live cricket over the years and although the bulk of the last few years viewing has been T20, that's only because it fits in better around work. I'm still very jealous of the retired folk who can get down to Derbyshire and watch all 4 days of a Championship match. That was my retirement dream too!!

What are everyone else's thoughts on this situation?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
So within the last 24 hours both Adil Rashid and Alex Hales have signed new deals with their counties, to play white ball cricket only, effectively ending their Test careers.

I can't help but feel that the longer form of the game is in the early stages of a very slow death. Certainly if this trend continues the quality of players available in the Championship and at Test level in a few years will be at a much lower level than it is now.

There are pundits out there who feel that in 10 years there will only be 6 Test playing nations left - England, Australia, South Africa, India, Pakistan and New Zealand. If the other countries are losing money and not getting people through the turnstiles for Test cricket then they won't lose any sleep over abandoning it.

I've watched a hell of a lot of live cricket over the years and although the bulk of the last few years viewing has been T20, that's only because it fits in better around work. I'm still very jealous of the retired folk who can get down to Derbyshire and watch all 4 days of a Championship match. That was my retirement dream too!!

What are everyone else's thoughts on this situation?
Was just about to post this Definitely think its a major issue from an England perspective and we could end up seeing a further significant impact on the quality of County Championship matches. There might be no incentive for top quality County players remaining in the longer form of the game if they have a chance to play in international leagues.

I know you're a Derbyshire fan, but I'd be tempted to lessen the amount of top tier County Championship teams. Ideally we would have a similar 4 day competition to the state teams in Australia. 6 top teams, where the best first class players play against each other. At this moment it's a struggle to work out who the next best England players are from the County game with the next players off the rank primarily pulled from the Lions team.

KM

Why are people pretending as if it's a new thing? Plenty of players have made this decision before. Besides, Hales and Rashid weren't England's first choice.

Test Matches hasn't been this popular ever and it's been backed by the stats.

FlawlessThaw

Why are people pretending as if it's a new thing? Plenty of players have made this decision before. Besides, Hales and Rashid weren't England's first choice.

Test Matches hasn't been this popular ever and it's been backed by the stats.
Speaking purely from a English domestic pov, it's a relatively new thing ignoring the odd Pietersen perspective. Obviously Hales and Rashid are on the fringes of England's XI but neither are significantly far away from a call up to just give up. Obviously don't blame them for wanting to remain in an area they excel in. Neither will ever been top quality players in the test team even if they came back.

The ramifications on the longer form of the game across the world have been going on for ages. What happens in England doesn't change that at all.

KM

Speaking purely from a English domestic pov, it's a relatively new thing ignoring the odd Pietersen perspective. Obviously Hales and Rashid are on the fringes of England's XI but neither are significantly far away from a call up to just give up. Obviously don't blame them for wanting to remain in an area they excel in. Neither will ever been top quality players in the test team even if they came back.

The ramifications on the longer form of the game across the world have been going on for ages. What happens in England doesn't change that at all.
In case of Rashid, if someone like Dawson getting picked over you, then retiring is the right thing to do.

I don't see many ramifications on the longer game to be fair, with the addition of Ireland and Afghanistan, its in a healthy place. The Ashes and South Africa india series was well attended.

zing

Zingle balls
I think it's in the interests of ICC to promote test cricket. T20 by itself is too one dimensional. Test cricket is the breeding ground for technique which adds a dimension to the other 2 forms.

Cricket needs all 3 forms - but in appropriate moderation.

FlawlessThaw

In case of Rashid, if someone like Dawson getting picked over you, then retiring is the right thing to do.

I don't see many ramifications on the longer game to be fair, with the addition of Ireland and Afghanistan, its in a healthy place. The Ashes and South Africa india series was well attended.
Matches involving the big 3 countries is fine and the interest will always likely be there. It's the others that I'd be concerned about ongoing.

I see Rashid's point of view clearly. The current English domestic system is a far greater concern as even if he isn't considered a good enough player for Test matches, he was one of the best bowlers in the county circuit and would provide far greater test for up and coming batsman than most bowlers would do. That falls on the cricket board's responsibility and obviously isn't Rashid's concern.

KM

Bangladesh's conduct during their match against Lanka was a disgrace. One of the most juvenile team ever. Shakib should take a hefty ban.

Sandyman

Bangladesh's conduct during their match against Lanka was a disgrace. One of the most juvenile team ever. Shakib should take a hefty ban.
They seem to be over the top with their aggression. It makes sense for them to have a chip on their shoulder as they are beating teams more frequently now, but they just seem to over do it. That match against India where they acted all billy big guns and lost should have taught them to not act like twats. Sadly no.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
For a team that dreams of becoming the best in the world, and who have possibly the least sporty players and some of the most unruly fans, seeing them choke against 2nd string Indian side gives an immense amount of pleasure. I possibly wouldn't be as distraught at losing to Pakistan as much as I would be at even the thought of losing to the mighty Bangladesh