Cricket

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

quite disappointing. He suffered racism even before he was 19 but still thought it was okay to make a racial slur concerning another race.
I've said this in another thread but this simply shows that cricket's racism problem is bigger than it first appears. Andrew Gale, his head coach who is accused of racist behaviour towards Rafiq, is currently suspended over an anti-semitic tweet. English cricket is institutionally and systemically racist, and I hope the ECB doesn't use this news to simply brush the problem under the carpet.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Tim Paine has quit being captain of the Aussie team due to a sexting scandal

Cricket Australia now has a though choice on who to make as captain.

2nd captain in a row done for Ball Tampering

Last edited:

Cloud7

Tim Paine has quit being captain of the Aussie team due to a sexting scandal

Cricket Australia now has a though choice on who to make as captain.

2nd captain in a row done for Ball Tampering
Surely that should be the end of Paine in the team then? Seemed like he was there only because he was the captain rather than due to his quality.

ZDwyr

It's a weird case. The act occurred four years ago but has only become public knowledge now. Cricket Australia (or Cricket Tasmania, I am not sure which) apparently conducted an internal investigation and didn't see any reason to discipline Paine at the time and believed it was 'consensual.' Obviously with any internal investigation you're always skeptical about the findings. In any case, a poor look particularly for a guy who is married.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Surely that should be the end of Paine in the team then? Seemed like he was there only because he was the captain rather than due to his quality.
It most likely is the end of his career I feel.

It's a weird case. The act occurred four years ago but has only become public knowledge now. Cricket Australia (or Cricket Tasmania, I am not sure which) apparently conducted an internal investigation and didn't see any reason to discipline Paine at the time and believed it was 'consensual.' Obviously with any internal investigation you're always skeptical about the findings. In any case, a poor look particularly for a guy who is married.
There is a chance that someone within Cricket Australia or Cricket Tasmania has leaked this.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
AB retires. The best limited overs batter I've seen.
There'll be never like him.

It's hilarious that he had a peak Kohli and Gayle in his team in t20 and still at his best looked a class above both. Ridiculous talent.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Feel for Paine tbh, but if it's consensual and if Australia board did their investigation, then I'm not sure why he needs to resign?

Anyways Australia should start getting in Alex Carey in the team quick. Better WK and Batsman.

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
AB retires. The best limited overs batter I've seen.
I'd go Buttler and I do think there's an argument for Kohli but I certainly don't find it hard to understand why a lot of people reckon it's de Villiers.

zing

Zingle balls
I'd go Buttler and I do think there's an argument for Kohli but I certainly don't find it hard to understand why a lot of people reckon it's de Villiers.
I like Buttler but he’s not even in this conversation for me. He averages 38. Kohli and AB average 50 plus.

only players in this debate for me are Sachin, Kohli and AB.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I like Buttler but he’s not even in this conversation for me. He averages 38. Kohli and AB average 50 plus.

If we are talking T20 only Buttler is the best. Over all limited over formats there's a conversation to have.

Boycott

AB is the best batsmen I've watched since Viv just on entertainment value.

AB's career has been phenomenal. He became more explosive the older he got and maintained a world class level of consistency. When he was 26/27 it looked like he was in his peak already but the best was still to come.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Average isn't massive, for me. I think Joe Root averages over 50 in ODI's but you'd be mad to call him a better ODI batsman than Buttler.

zing

Zingle balls
Average isn't massive, for me. I think Joe Root averages over 50 in ODI's but you'd be mad to call him a better ODI batsman than Buttler.
I think that makes sense if you're commenting about high averages(see Hashim Amla who would not be considered a better player than Buttler) but in the debate for great players, a low average definitely rules you out. When his competitors played in the same era, and had fairly similar roles in the team as being the main players, it's hard to get away from the fact that they made 40-50% more runs than you per innings.

Buttler also has not played anywhere close to the level of games his peers have. I don't think he's in the top 20 batters in ODI cricket history. He plays great games, yes, but the fact that he averages 38 can't just be ignored.. he doesn't make enough runs esp in an era where batters absolutely pile on the runs in regularity.

TheGame

Feel for Paine tbh, but if it's consensual and if Australia board did their investigation, then I'm not sure why he needs to resign?

Anyways Australia should start getting in Alex Carey in the team quick. Better WK and Batsman.
Well he's married for a start and then send a picture of his c**k to other girls. Think there would be pressure to go if he didn't resign. Also strange that this happened 4 years ago yet Australia still appointed him captain?

But yeah, a better player will replace him.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Cricket Tasmania rather oddly decided that it was a private matter despite both parties being employees.

Cricket Australia then seemed to simply go along. Very strange when you are replacing a captain due to a scandle.

And it is coming out now because the other party was about to go public apparently. Just to throw more stuff into the mix she resigned soon after the dick pick happened and still has theft charges pending. No idea what that is about.

SinNombre

Butler is in the next tier with Rohit and Warner.

Nowhere near AB and Kohli

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
character assassination from the old boy’s club is in full force.

IRN-BRUno

After missing out on the IPL it looks like the Glazers are going to get their franchise in the new UAE Premier League

JohnnyKills

NZ on top against India.

Young looks a great player doesn't he. Would be delighted if Lancs got him as an overseas.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I caught some of the action this morning and noticed Ashwin was following through on the left side of the wicket? Has he ever done that before is it new?

JohnnyKills

This kind of wicket should be banned. India did the same to England last winter.

Any kind of wicket that is prepared to suit the home team should be outlawed, whether it's a green seamer in Eng or a turner in the sun-continent. Give away teams a fair chance at least.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This kind of wicket should be banned. India did the same to England last winter.

Any kind of wicket that is prepared to suit the home team should be outlawed, whether it's a green seamer in Eng or a turner in the sun-continent. Give away teams a fair chance at least.
Not sure how you ban it/gauge what's too far but do agree that these sort of pitches (regardless of setting) are total series killers.

JohnnyKills

Not sure how you ban it/gauge what's too far but do agree that these sort of pitches (regardless of setting) are total series killers.
Best option (to me at least) is for the ICC to create a panel of neutral groundsmen and have them oversee the pitches.

LDUred

I agree with this, but I would add a few things.

In my honest opinion, based on what I have seen recently, England's pitches aren't massively favourable to them and haven't been for a while. I have read a lot of comments where some India fans are convinced that every English surface is a 'green top', but even if this were true, the greenness wears off by day 2. Overhead conditions can also be pretty unpredictable but are in no way 'planned' by the home side.

The Oval, Lords, and Old Trafford are usually on the roster of pitches selected for the main tour and they tend to favour spin and fast bowling, where England have historically lacked options. England's record at these grounds in recent times is pretty ordinary because they have not had a front line spinner since Graeme Swann, who was probably a 'once in a generation' type player for us. If you get The Oval at the end of a dry English summer, then your spinners will be in the game while England will be turning to Jack Leach or Dom Bess. Same with Old Trafford and even Lords nowadays. Generally speaking, summers in England are getting hotter and it's no coincidence that England tend to fare worse when tests are played down south. Contrast that to the seventies when temperatures were a lot cooler and a game was even snowed off in June 1975 between Derbyshire and Lancashire. To suggest that the deck is stacked against India in England requires a degree of exaggeration.

Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, and Headingley tend to harness more 'English' conditions that favour swing and seam. It's worth noting that England could include other clearly trickier grounds like Chester-le-Street and Hove if they wanted to exagerrate their advantage, but an India/Pakistan series is not so much about England trouncing the opposition as creating an even contest that people are going to watch at the ground or at home.

On the other hand, in India, if a pitch turns big from ball one, batting is just going to get progressively harder. The spectacle just becomes monotonous and predictable fare, so I don't think this is a clear case of 'six of one...'

Last edited:

iKnowNothing

This is a laughable suggestion. Isn’t test cricket a test of playing abilities? If home team advantage is something that needs to be outlawed, then how do you prepare, say a turning pitch in New Zealand? They don’t even get enough sunlight a year, that India receives in a week or two. These are different conditions for a reason.

SinNombre

Some of the same stupid hot takes on this thread.

Rank turners or green tops actually are great equalizers.

Australia crushed India in India on a rank turner and India under Dhoni, who was a terrible test captain, won on a green top at Lords.

The only issue with them is they lead to 3-day test matches, which is not a traditionalist’s cup of tea.

This does not even appear to be a rank turner given Mayank is again batting very well in the second innings.

kiristao

I agree the pitches for the England series were pretty ridiculous. I don't think that's the case with this series considering Siraj picked up 3 wickets up top before the spinners came on and took the rest. Also, New Zealand had 2 other spinners bowling and neither of them got any wickets.

zing

Zingle balls

Come on. India have put up 320 and now 70 without loss at a healthy run rate. It has turned but nothing to trouble international batsmen. Nz top 3 got taken out by great fast bowling. Nz just been poor otherwise.