Cricket

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Disgusting. If people are still involved at Yorkshire in some capacity, they need to go along with everyone involved with the ‘banter’ report. The ECB need to take strong action.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

One step closer to banishing the twat, probably to Australia

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

One step closer to banishing the twat, probably to Australia
Have no idea if he is guilty or not of any of this that's for the investigation but he's a nightmare on Twitter with his antagonistic efforts he won't be missed if he's silenced.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I'm sorry, but this is a massive story involving one of the most respected clubs in county and World cricket (and I'm saying that as a die hard Lancashire supporter), and some people are more concerned about getting Michael Vaughan of the TV/Radio.

This was the lead story on the 10 O'clock News, ffs. Who gives a feck about Vaughan?

Yorkshire's usp used to be that you couldn't play for the county unless you were born in Yorkshire. The 'ethnic' (for want of a better description) community has a long history in the county and are just as proud Yorkshiremen as anyone else.

It makes me so sad that this sort of scandal has engulfed a sport which is, and always has been, one of the most inclusive sports. In the 30s you had a coal miner (Larwood) in the same team as a toff (Jardine).

It's 2021 ffs :(

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm sorry, but this is a massive story involving one of the most respected clubs in county and World cricket (and I'm saying that as a die hard Lancashire supporter), and some people are more concerned about getting Michael Vaughan of the TV/Radio.

This was the lead story on the 10 O'clock News, ffs. Who gives a feck about Vaughan?

Yorkshire's usp used to be that you couldn't play for the county unless you were born in Yorkshire. The 'ethnic' (for want of a better description) community has a long history in the county and are just as proud Yorkshiremen as anyone else.

It makes me so sad that this sort of scandal has engulfed a sport which is, and always has been, one of the most inclusive sports. In the 30s you had a coal miner (Larwood) in the same team as a toff (Jardine).

It's 2021 ffs :(
To some extent it's still a sport for the rich, not to mention how it was for decades. I wouldn't think cricket when I think exclusive community sport.

Cloud7

I don't think you could be further from the truth.
Relative to other sports it is. To play cricket even as a kid you need bat, pads, gloves, helmet. To get better you need time in nets which you have to pay for. Compared to a sport like football where you only need a ball and a lot of kids may not even have football boots.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Relative to other sports it is. To play cricket even as a kid you need bat, pads, gloves, helmet. To get better you need time in nets which you have to pay for. Compared to a sport like football where you only need a ball and a lot of kids may not even have football boots.
Go ask where the great West Indian cricketers of the 50s, 60s, 70s and onwards started playing cricket. You think they were all rich and had all the equipment?

We used to play with an old cricket bat and a tennis ball when we were kids.

Tennis is an elitist sport, as is rugby. Cricket certainly isn't. It's one of the few sports which bridges all classes.

shamans

I don't think you could be further from the truth.
I mean look at Namibia or South Africa's cricket team. Okay South Africa is getting some non privileged cricketers now but it's not really a poor mans sport is it.

Even the best english cricketers are from quite expensive academies.

shamans

Go ask where the great West Indian cricketers of the 50s, 60s, 70s and onwards started playing cricket. You think they were all rich and had all the equipment?

We used to play with an old cricket bat and a tennis ball when we were kids.

Tennis is an elitist sport, as is rugby. Cricket certainly isn't. It's one of the few sports which bridges all classes.
West Indies, Pakistan are the few exceptions but historically cricket was the upper class sport of England while football was the every man sport.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Haris Rauf is playing in a World Cup semi at the age of 28 and he didn’t start playing hard ball cricket until he was 25. He was only playing tape ball cricket until that point and you don’t really need a lot of equipment for that. I agree there is elitism in cricket but you don’t necessarily need expensive and fancy equipment to succeed (but it does help of course).

Chief123

Your point is creative but incorrrect. Have you seen the cost of football boots, replica kits nowadays?

Cricket all starts with just a bat and tennis ball. If you go further, you progress with a small club who will normally have all the equipment required. At least with cricket pads, bats etc can be shared amongst players.

IRN-BRUno

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...alleges-ex-england-captain-made-racist-remark
Doesn't prove anything either way and there's no audio but some footage of the team huddle in the game in question. I didn't realise that Ajmal Shahzad had said he doesn't recall anything but I guess if it happened after that clip he might have been out of earshot by then.

Rafiq is due to give his evidence at the parliamentary inquiry tomorrow. https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/17263424-93b9-4f72-ae8d-b585d1e32400
Should be live there from 9.30am.

zing

Zingle balls
Rafiq says Yorkshire players, media, the club, commentators joined in calling Cheteshwar Pujara “Steve” while at the club.

“Kevin” was something Ballance used to describe anyone of colour, says Rafiq. This was widely known, he adds. He says Alex Hales, Ballance’s friend and teammate, went on to name his dog “Kevin”, because the dog was black.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/l...iq-cricket-yorkshire-racism-dcms-hearing-live

This was a lot of "he said" before this, but the stuff in there is shocking reading

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
Gary Ballance sounds like an utter cnut. I assume these are the some of the contents of the report, and for Ballance to come out with that non-apology and say he's friends with Rafiq is just..

IRN-BRUno

That story about Hales probably explains why England haven't been interested in recalling him.

Sounds like Bumble's time is up now as well

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Devastating stuff. Anyone in and around the club in this period has to take genuine blame here, and those named shouldn't be allowed to walk - sack 'em.

Foxbatt

This is absolutely pathetic. People even refusing to appear and even refusing to apologise. The CEO even tried to stop the investigation. It is a bloody disgrace. They should be kicked out or suspended.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
A lot of what Azeem Rafiq has told today to the MP’s is much to my frustration common place at my workplace in Amsterdam. Yet if I say something about it I get accused of being things like WOKE or over sensitive. I think that sadly says a lot of truth about Western society in general.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
That testimony is so grim. When you work in Such an environment your first tendency is to kind of blame yourself and try to find faults in yourself.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
That was such a moving speech from Rafiq and even the Sky News host had trouble getting her words out and seemed close to tears.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Very difficult to watch his testimony. Reading it isn’t much better either. Truly horrible culture at Yorkshire & they all need to be held to account for what happened.

RedTiger

Half mast
Haris Rauf is playing in a World Cup semi at the age of 28 and he didn’t start playing hard ball cricket until he was 25. He was only playing tape ball cricket until that point and you don’t really need a lot of equipment for that. I agree there is elitism in cricket but you don’t necessarily need expensive and fancy equipment to succeed (but it does help of course).
Do they have tape ball leagues in Pakistan or was he playing informal tape ball? If the latter then that's impressive to make the national side.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
My wife is from Yorkshire and some of things she told about the racist incidents there was horrendous, I'm glad she's out of there now. Not surprised at all with these revelations especially at that county.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

quite disappointing. He suffered racism even before he was 19 but still thought it was okay to make a racial slur concerning another race.

Ofcourse that doesn't make Yorkshire cricket less racist or something.