Cricket

Skills

Snitch
How long will captains continue to falsely believe a green wicket = a swinging wicket?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Have I missed something obvious, but is there a reason it's 6 days?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Tough day for India, thought the pace attack didn’t create enough opportunities, batting wasn’t easy for a while. But the Aussies are a tough side to beat in most conditions and they batted very well.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Steve Smith. Has there ever been a world class cricketer that's less enjoyable to watch? :lol:
It's funny you say that because currently he is my favorite player to watch. I love seeing the best players and Steven Smith is exactly that. Virat Kohli said a couple of days ago that Smith was the best Test batsman of this generation. I would go further than that and say he's the best Test batsman I have ever seen and I've been watching cricket for over 50 years.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It's funny you say that because currently he is my favorite player to watch. I love seeing the best players and Steven Smith is exactly that. Virat Kohli said a couple of days ago that Smith was the best Test batsman of this generation. I would go further than that and say he's the best Test batsman I have ever seen and I've been watching cricket for over 50 years.
I agree that he's the best test batsman currently playing in an effective/immovable sense. The manner in which he can do it pretty much anywhere too is immense. I just find him a difficult watch - he doesn't seem to match the fluidity and ease other top batters have in their arsenal. This is by no means a disservice. He is insanely good.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Top class, but world class?
He was a world class twat. Botham deliberately ran him out once (NZ, I think) because during a run chase he cared more about his personal score than the teams.

.....and he was from Yorkshire. :D

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I agree that he's the best test batsman currently playing in an effective/immovable sense. The manner in which he can do it pretty much anywhere too is immense. I just find him a difficult watch - he doesn't seem to match the fluidity and ease other top batters have in their arsenal. This is by no means a disservice. He is insanely good.
This is 100% true. He is a great batsman but he is not pleasing to the eye at all. Great for stats & making loads of runs but he doesn’t make me turn the tele on when he is batting

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
This is 100% true. He is a great batsman but he is not pleasing to the eye at all. Great for stats & making loads of runs but he doesn’t make me turn the tele on when he is batting
It depends what you find pleasing to the eye. I love watching Steven Smith bat because I admire the mental fortitude that he brings to the game. Test cricket for me is about attrition, mental toughness and grinding the opponent down. It's not the wham bam of T20 cricket. It's literally about whether you can overcome your opponent in that 5 day window. What Smith does may not be pretty but that in itself is part of what I find attractive. He often plays the same shot over and over again which must be incredibly frustrating to the opposition. His mental toughness is extraordinary. For me he is the best I've ever seen.

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
It depends what you find pleasing to the eye. I love watching Steven Smith bat because I admire the mental fortitude that he brings to the game. Test cricket for me is about attrition, mental toughness and grinding the opponent down. It's not the wham bam of T20 cricket. It's literally about whether you can overcome your opponent. What Smith does may not be pretty but that in itself is part of what I find attractive. He often plays the same shot over and over again which must be incredibly frustrating to the opposition. His mental toughness is extraordinary. For me he is the best I've ever seen.
Agreed.

Smith and Head have put Australia in such a dominant position. If Australia win this morning session, they win the match.

Last edited:

G-manc

Smith is a strange one isn’t he; doesn’t really always look technically great but he must be so frustrating to bowl to - always fidgeting and moving around the crease. He’s obviously got and amazing eye and ability to judge any surface.

IRN-BRUno

Head has been superb in the last couple of years. For all the talk of Bazball, he's been batting like that for a while now and getting runs when Australia are in a bit of trouble.

AshRK

I hope there is a turnaround but this whole rahul dravid-rohit sharma tenure has been a farce. Shastri and Kohli got stick for far less and here we are almost 2 years to their tenure and I don't know what they are doing with the team. No plan, no strategy just making mindless decisions.

MDFC Manager

I hope there is a turnaround but this whole rahul dravid-rohit sharma tenure has been a farce. Shastri and Kohli got stick for far less and here we are almost 2 years to their tenure and I don't know what they are doing with the team. No plan, no strategy just making mindless decisions.
Even the game plans have looked suspect. Australia get all 3 wickets bowling onto the stumps, while our bowlers bowled only 9% targeting the stumps.

TheGame

Australia taking control now and looking ominous not only for this match but the Ashes as well.

FAO Indian fans, is there not a better bowler around than a 35 year old Yadav? I appreciate Bumrah is out but thought there would have been better options.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
India look totally unprepared to be honest. They are a much better side then what they’ve shown so far in this match. The Aussie bowling looks outstanding mind, how will Bazball stand up to that I wonder.

JohnnyKills

Forgotten man Rahane playing the lone hand after yet another top order failure.
He reminds me a bit of Ian Bell. Under-achieves generally (Rahane's only averaging 38) but then pulls out an important innings against a really good attack.

JohnnyKills

India look totally unprepared to be honest. They are a much better side then what they’ve shown so far in this match. The Aussie bowling looks outstanding mind, how will Bazball stand up to that I wonder.
Well, we're just going to try and belt them aren't we. Hopefully it disrupts them a bit.

My feeling is that we'll need to get lucky with the weather (i.e. swinging conditions) in at least two of the five matches and hope our batting brilliance gets us through the other one. We're not going to out-bowl them on flat pitches, so we'll have to out-bat them.

Big claim, but this Aussie side is shaping up to the best team since the Aussies of the 90s and early 00s.

MDFC Manager

He reminds me a bit of Ian Bell. Under-achieves generally (Rahane's only averaging 38) but then pulls out an important innings against a really good attack.
Yup, no question in my mind that he's underachieved, even with circumstances against him (batting at 5/6, usually having to shepherd the lower order). His talent is not too far below the likes of Rohit or Kohli.

Abraxas

I think England have to continue smashing it really. It will come off sometimes, even against Aus (hopefully). Pitch dependent probably. And a bit of luck.

We don't have the technique to block it up and play a traditional innings. Fact is if we give these Aus bowlers a target just poking and prodding, they hit such a good hard length consistently at pace, we will nick off constantly. For not many runs. Better a quick 30 or 40 and hope someone comes off.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Nice to see India showing some fight.

MDFC Manager

Is it just me or Australia look unusually flat and dull on field?

No balls galore, languid fielding, a dropped catch

Old Ma Crow

Impressive courage and fight from Lord Thakur and Rahane in that session. Hopefully they keep it going after lunch.

JezChan

Very impressed with India's start to the 2nd Australian innings. Hope Khawaja and Labuschagne can get set and accelerate, giving Australia at least 4 or 5 sessions to bowl out India.

JohnnyKills

I think England have to continue smashing it really. It will come off sometimes, even against Aus (hopefully). Pitch dependent probably. And a bit of luck.

We don't have the technique to block it up and play a traditional innings. Fact is if we give these Aus bowlers a target just poking and prodding, they hit such a good hard length consistently at pace, we will nick off constantly. For not many runs. Better a quick 30 or 40 and hope someone comes off.
Definitely. No other option but to attack, particularly given our bowlers will concede plenty.

It'll be a bit like Newcastle '96, but should be entertaining!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This 3 and 4 partnership is horrible for opposing teams. Knowing it's coming sort of takes the shine off any early breakthrough.

Solid, top class, old-school test batting. A rarity nowadays.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
This 3 and 4 partnership is horrible for opposing teams. Knowing it's coming sort of takes the shine off any early breakthrough.

Solid, top class, old-school test batting. A rarity nowadays.
Love watching it. You can't beat test cricket.