5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

We just need to start using him right, him starting every game is so stupid, and is making him look like a weak link.

I'm sure he can handle starting a few games on the bench to see if Greenwood or Cavani could be a better option up top for a while, he is 36 afterall.

United in sin

He's in poor form right now the last few matches but class is permanent. He will come good I have no doubt! we need him to get Top 4 and possibly win a trophy. Atleti will be dreading facing him :keano:

they was saying on commentary that a lot of players who had Covid even though they recovered still show the effects afterwards. Maybe Ronny had Covid who knows.
Correction, he's in poor goal scoring form. The rest of what we're seeing is the same. He's just an old player in decline and clinging on to the one thing he still offers, goals. The lack of goals just puts the rest of his game and shortcomings into focus.

Nordmore

more excuses. Fact is you cannot deny that he's old, he's lost his pace, dribbling etc, and brings drama to any team. Yes he will score the odd ET winner here and hype everyone up, but if you have any serious intentions, imo he's an unnecessary distraction. Unpopular opinion I know.
No it's not unpopular I think. Most of us think the same imo. We seriously need to bench him asap. Problem is this club is run by morons who only care about money.

troylocker

For all the talk about workrate, Ronaldo has been running more than Cavani, pressing more. Atleast that's what I've noticed.
This one made my day :lol:

You're either easily fooled, not very observant or just trolling then:

Numbers from EPL this season:
Pressings per 90 / successfull pressings per 90 / pressings in the attacking 3rd per 90

Ronaldo: 6,28 pressings per 90 (lowest in the league for attacking players with more than 450 minutes) / 1,69 successfull pressing per 90 (lowest in the league for attacking players with more than 450 minutes) / 2,84 pressings in the final 3rd per 90 (lowest in the league for attacking players with more than 450 minutes)

Cavani: 12,65 pressings per 90 / 4,49 successfull pressings per 90 / 5,51 pressings in the attacking 3rd per 90.

Ronaldo has actually improved his pressing lately and believe it or not, made a season best 10 pressings against Wolves. 25% of his successfull pressings this season was made against Wolves, in his 16th match. Says it all really....
Still a lot to be desired in that department from him!

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Your either easily fooled, not very observant or just trolling then:

Pressings per 90 / successfull pressings per 90 / pressings in the attacking 3rd per 90

Ronaldo: 6,28 pressings per 90 (lowest in the league for attacking players with more than 450 minutes) / 1,69 successfull pressing per 90 (lowest in the league for attacking players with more than 450 minutes) / 2,84 pressings in the final 3rd per 90 (lowest in the league for attacking players with more than 450 minutes)

Cavani: 12,65 pressings per 90 / 4,49 successfull pressings per 90 / 5,51 pressings in the attacking 3rd per 90.

Ronaldo has actually improved his pressing lately and believe it or not, made a season best 10 pressings against Wolves. 25% of his successfull pressings this season was made against Wolves, in his 16th match. Says it all really....
Love your stats man.

Is Rashford the worst at pressing/defensive action or is it Ronaldo?

IhabX7

Watching people squirm over this man is entertaining. I remember when we were joking about Dirk Kuyt being a defensive striker, now it’s the only way to be.

troylocker

He's in poor form right now the last few matches but class is permanent. He will come good I have no doubt! we need him to get Top 4 and possibly win a trophy. Atleti will be dreading facing him :keano:

they was saying on commentary that a lot of players who had Covid even though they recovered still show the effects afterwards. Maybe Ronny had Covid who knows.
One thing that is 100% sure, is that class/quality in sports is not permantent. It needs to be worked on continuously and will with 100% certainty decrease with age.

FYI: Ronny had Covid back in 2020.

the_cliff

Love your stats man.

By far Ronaldo.

Rashford has a similar number of total presses as Ronaldo but more successful tackles/Presses despite playing half as many minutes. (697 minutes less).

MinGin

We just need to start using him right, him starting every game is so stupid, and is making him look like a weak link.

I'm sure he can handle starting a few games on the bench to see if Greenwood or Cavani could be a better option up top for a while, he is 36 afterall.
Problem is, do he accept to be benched and not played every match?

troylocker

Love your stats man.

Rashford is a pressing-monster compared to Ronny:

Rashford: 14,48 pressings per 90 / 4,48 successfull pressings per 90 / 6,12 pressings in the attacking 3rd per 90.

Bebestation

Rashford is a pressing-monster compared to Ronny:

Rashford: 14,48 pressings per 90 / 4,48 successfull pressings per 90 / 6,12 pressings in the attacking 3rd per 90.
It's weird how he gets talked about being lazy more than Ronaldo does.

ForeverRed1

He doesn’t react well to being on the bench. Also the media and drama around it is incredible. Did you not watch the Everton game? The whole thing create a massive fuss

KeanoMagicHat

He doesn’t react well to being on the bench. Also the media and drama around it is incredible. Did you not watch the Everton game? The whole thing create a massive fuss
Yep, that's why the whole circus around him isn't worth the hassle. The cameras follow his every move and reaction on the bench. The reporters ask the manager why Ronaldo didn't start. It's ridiculous and undermines the manager and the club.

ForeverRed1

Yep, that's why the whole circus around him isn't worth the hassle. The cameras follow his every move and reaction on the bench. The reporters ask the manager why Ronaldo didn't start. It's ridiculous and undermines the manager and the club.
Don’t get me wrong, I fecking love Ronaldo, it’s worth the hassle if you have peak Ronaldo, the Ronaldo we had the first time around or Real Madrid Ronaldo.. but he should be managed slightly differently now, he’s still a top player but he’s different. We can’t build a whole team around him, he’s only here for this and next season, he leaves and then what? We need to build around the long term players we have. He should be a player that fits around that.. but with his name and reputation, you can’t really do that.

when you got Ronaldo in your squad he pretty much plays the whole time he is fit with a couple exceptions, like the cups.

Glorio

Watching our games, it just seems like it's going to be very difficult to have a good performance with Ronaldo playing centre forward.

It's important to note that he's part of the build-up cast that a lot of folks criticise to defend him, and apart from goal scoring, his play really is average at the minute. He can't hold up the ball, he's not quick enough to stretch the defence or run in behind, he doesn't press, and he can't be called creative in the least. There's no good team that plays with 10 men and just hands the ball over to the 11th player to score. He's a problem in this team - 100%. Didn't say he's the only problem but he definitely is one

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Without getting into the discussion if he helps the team or not I really hope that Rangnick decides about him playing or not solely on footballing reasons and his idea of how we should set up. Rangnick should be fully backed in case he is of the opinion that other options fit better into his vision.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Watching people squirm over this man is entertaining. I remember when we were joking about Dirk Kuyt being a defensive striker, now it’s the only way to be.
Nah there such a thing like a complete forward. Like Rooney or Ronaldo in his prime.

Highfather_24

Yeah, my bad, I meant in the last couple of games. I dunno the numbers, just through eye test, I felt like it was Ronaldo who was chasing lost causes and pressuring the goalkeeper etc.

Nordmore

Yeah, my bad, I meant in the last couple of games. I dunno the numbers, just through eye test, I felt like it was Ronaldo who was chasing lost causes and pressuring the goalkeeper etc.
That's because of the camera effect. A bit like Sanchez I'd say.

Highfather_24

The person who did the biggest undermining is SAF. Once he said "you dont bench your best players", its practically impossible to bench him.

redcafe_reader

Because he is. It's that simple.

If he's not lazy why do you have to compare the pressing stat of a 24 year old with a 36 year old?

No manager ever question Ronaldo's commitment for his whole career, and Rashford? "...now it is time to maybe prioritise his football and focus on football." - coming from a manager that never want to single out his player. Coincidence?

Don't try to use Ronaldo as an excuse for Rashford attitude issue. Ronaldo is also a problem but he's only there for half a season, while we haven't winning anything for last 4 years. And we pay player like Rashford world class salary for a while already.

Bebestation

Because he is. It's that simple.

If he's not lazy why do you have to compare the pressing stat of a 24 year old with a 36 year old?

No manager ever question Ronaldo's commitment for his whole career, and Rashford? "...now it is time to maybe prioritise his football and focus on football." - coming from a manager that never want to single out his player. Coincidence?

Don't try to use Ronaldo as an excuse for Rashford attitude issue. Ronaldo is also a problem but he's only there for half a season, while we haven't winning anything for last 4 years. And we pay player like Rashford world class salary for a while already.
Absolutely rubbish.

Players are allowed to be lazy if they are old and then people don't see why this old lazy players could be a problem when they become the main attacking plan of the team. :lol:

Ash_G

It's not like when Ronaldo was first here that we didn't let him play by different rules. Rooney/Park/Fletcher all did jobs covering for the negatives in Ronaldo's game because the sum of the parts was worth it.

Different reasons but we've done the same in the past e.g. Fletcher broke through as extra legs to cover for Keane, over time we had to protect Scholes in the middle as well.

Accommodating players isn't that uncommon it's just about if it's worth it and do you have the players to do it. Personally I think Ronaldo is worth it, yes he can sometimes appear quite negative on the pitch (tbf to him I also note that often if someone does try to play him through and doesn't quite get the ball right he often acknowledges it positively, although could be confirmation bias on my part!) but he's still got fantastic movement and capable of a goal from nothing. If we play Ronaldo though then the other players need to adapt. In reality I don't see this as a problem either, no one in that attack can put themselves up there with Ronaldo.

troylocker

Carragher called out Mbappes lack of effort rather than Messis the other day, they're young lads with no excuse for half arsing it.
That is because Messi puts in more pressings per 90 than Mbappe (8,75 vs. 7,74 pressings per 90) . Both very low, so they both deserves critisism for their defensive workrate. Ronaldo does less than both those guys and Rashford more than doubles his pressing numbers so hardly a comparable situation though.

Bebestation

That is because Messi puts in more pressings per 90 than Mbappe (8,75 vs. 7,74 pressings per 90) . Both very low, so they both deserves critisism for their defensive workrate. Ronaldo does less than both those guys and Rashford more than doubles his pressing numbers so hardly a comparable situation though.
Amazing stuff again.

redcafe_reader

Absolutely rubbish.

Players are allowed to be lazy if they are old and then people don't see why this old lazy players could be a problem when they become the main attacking plan of the team. :lol:
I actually said Ronaldo is a problem.

Nowhere in my post I said Ronaldo are allowed to be lazy.

My point is simple, Rashford is also lazy because otherwise, why are you trying to compare his stat to a already well known never pressing 36 year old?

You are using Ronaldo as an excuse for Rashford, while for me both deserve criticism and drop. We are not the same.

Of course, you can try to use Ronaldo as an excuse for Rashford anyway you want, but people can actually watch game and judge for themselves.

Bebestation

I actually said Ronaldo is a problem.

Nowhere in my post I said Ronaldo are allowed to be lazy.

My point is simple, Rashford is also lazy because otherwise, why are you trying to compare his stat to a already well known never pressing 36 year old?

You are using Ronaldo as an excuse for Rashford, while for me both deserve criticism and drop. We are not the same.

Of course, you can try to use Ronaldo as an excuse for Rashford anyway you want, but people can actually watch game and judge for themselves.
Well that's understandable - but people stop realising that Rashford is an inverted left winger which is highly reliant on the central striker.

Ive said this before but if at Liverpool top players like Mane and Salah was supposed to be the main pressers from the front line whilst playing with a ST who doesn't press, has no hold up play, has no link up play or passing ability, has poor first touch developing at the age of 36 - then the blame coming at Mane and Salah doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, hate or be dissapointed in Rashford - I can't change your opinion of him but my plan as a fan is to find our main change of ability in a whole squad that has arisen from this seasons starting 11.

My problem is not Rashford because he might be playing as shit last season - but the rest of the players were doing better.

Now we have no one except our GK on some form, and on a good day Ronaldo on form - which says alot about our change in tactics and troubles.

Smores

Do you believe Ronaldo is a problem?
Not in running he isn't. He's higher than Rashford usually averages and higher than Martial by a good bit but then who isn't.

Ronaldo brings certain problems but frankly there isn't a player in our team that doesn't.

I'd start Ronaldo for the same reason I'd start De Gea or Bruno, irrespective of any over discussed flaws they're still the best we've got.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Cavani Greenwood Rashford and Bruno have all massively regressed this season because Ronaldo has become the main focus of our play. Wrongly in my opinion too.

I kind of hope he is missing tonight tbh. We need energy and legs today against this Villa team.

Bebestation

Cavani Greenwood Rashford and Bruno have all massively regressed this season because Ronaldo has become the main focus of our play. Wrongly in my opinion too.

I kind of hope he is missing tonight tbh. We need energy and legs today against this Villa team.
And this is why I dont blame the majority of our squad because we have turned in to a team that should all play towards getting the best out of a 36 year old striker whilst that striker has no ability to get the best out of the players around him.

Nordmore

Yeah me too.

There're some reports saying he has fell out big time with Ralf over the pressing/tactic/training issue. If those are true and he still start then we're seriously fecked.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yeah me too.

There're some reports saying he has fell out big time with Ralf over the pressing/tactic/training issue. If those are true and he still start then we're seriously fecked.
Sell him if true. We ain't winning anything anyway and he wont be here next season in my opinion.

Ronaldo has sadly just caused more problems than he's solved. He might finish the season with a reasonable tally but if none of the other forwards do then it's been for nothing.

CG1010

Well he is much younger than Ronaldo and is significantly lower quality than him. And this is coming from a massive Rashford fan. He has let us down in his trajectory in the last couple of years.

Foxbatt

If you put in decent balls then Ronaldo is going to score. Forget about his running to press. If everyone does the press he doesn't have to do a lot of running. The problem is people expect him to run like a headless chicken. He is not going to do it and neither is he capable of doing it. Look at the Wolves game. If AWB has not over hit his two crosses Ronaldo probably would have scored those two. If Sancho had passed it to him, he probably would have scored too. Football is the sum of the players and not each playing individually. Defenders are not going to leave Ronaldo alone. He also creates space for others. Blaming him for the faults of other players is irresponsible.
Should he play every game? Of course not. He needs to be rested too and I do not think he would cause a fuss if he gets rested too.

Status
Not open for further replies.