Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There are people who can see he's not good enough anymore for a club with aspirations of winners trophies.

Then there are those who can't look beyond their feelings for the individual, and are happy for the team to suffer as a result.
In other words the people who agree with what you think are obviously right, because they agree with you, and the ones who don't agree with you want the team to suffer?

Foxbatt

Scored a good goal but his total lack of work ethic is one of the big reasons we struggle. Opposition CB's have an hour on the ball every time they get it. That's why we can't progress as a team with him.

The GOAT he may well be but those days are over. If we play him against Liverpool and City it's going to be a tough watch.
That is because it is pointless for him to alone press them. None of the other players are in position and all they will do is pass by him.

captaincantona

You weren't, people are
Who is? People are saying what has happened...when he is shite...people say he is shite...when he is good...people say he is good...when he scores goals but otherwise plays poorly...people say so...

except for his fanboys...who blame his average performances on the club, and the squad, cause he is the GOAT and beyond reproach. They point to unreasonable opinions that without him we would be completely lost this season as if it were a fact that if we were not to playRonaldo we would somehow go into every game with ten men? We wouldnt. No one knows how our season would have fared without him. But we do know we have not improved in any way. So that’s not blaming anything on Ronaldo...that is calling out what’s has happened. He has had no positive impact.

stop with the bullshit of claiming people are blaming stuff on him. The one or two posters that do are well known...but for the most part, the rest of us just say it like it is.

Alfie092

Much better performance and he showed why he is arguably the GOAT as his goal which was something out of nothing was a special goal. Had a few more chances throughout the game, especially those headers, so was a shame to not see him score a hat-trick :( maybe he is saving it for his usual one vs Atletico next week :drool:

RepardReece

Who is? People are saying what has happened...when he is shite...people say he is shite...when he is good...people say he is good...when he scores goals but otherwise plays poorly...people say so...

except for his fanboys...who blame his average performances on the club, and the squad, cause he is the GOAT and beyond reproach. They point to unreasonable opinions that without him we would be completely lost this season as if it were a fact that if we were not to playRonaldo we would somehow go into every game with ten men? We wouldnt. No one knows how our season would have fared without him. But we do know we have not improved in any way. So that’s not blaming anything on Ronaldo...that is calling out what’s has happened. He has had no positive impact.

stop with the bullshit of claiming people are blaming stuff on him. The one or two posters that do are well known...but for the most part, the rest of us just say it like it is.
There were many people blaming absolutely everything on Ronaldo a few months ago when I was active in this thread. Namely bebestation for one, there was another too. This includes things such as he's caused Bruno to go to shite, caused our defensive issues, caused Rashford to play poorly (eventhough he's been dreadful for a long long time now), and so on.

I agree with many common posters that he hasn't improved us, but let's be honest, we wouldn't still be in the champions league without the guy.

captaincantona

I agree with many common posters that he hasn't improved us, but let's be honest, we wouldn't still be in the champions league without the guy.
Don’t agree at all. His goals kept us in the CL. His performances were average. At that point in the season, I have no hesitancy in saying that using a different forward line (Greenwood, Elanga, Martial, Bruno, Sancho, Rashford, Cavani) and not playing him for 90 minutes all the time would have given us just as much of a chance to qualify from what was a completely piss poor group.

over 90 minutes he was ineffective. A late goal does not justify a his inclusion, it gets you out of jail. You don’t say- he was shite last week for 90 minutes but he did grab a winner so keep playing him....you say - he was shite last week and his only positive was the goal...so can we afford to play with someone who contributes nothing but the odd important goal OR could we be more effective over 90 minutes with another approach? Then you ask yourself, what formation and team do I use next time to avoid needing a last gasp life line against mid table European cannon fodder?

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I dont think he pressed a lot even as a youngster anyway? maybe he just doesnt have it. He did trackback but it was barely pressing. I would imagine pressing was what Fletcher and Park used to do. Tracking back isn't pressing.

romufc

Don’t agree at all. His goals kept us in the CL. His performances were average. At that point in the season, I have no hesitancy in saying that using a different forward line (Greenwood, Elanga, Martial, Bruno, Sancho, Rashford, Cavani) and not playing him for 90 minutes all the time would have given us just as much of a chance to qualify from what was a completely piss poor group.

over 90 minutes he was ineffective. A late goal does not justify a his inclusion, it gets you out of jail. You don’t say- he was white last week for 90 minutes but he did grab a winner so keep playing him....you say - he was shite last week and his only positive was the goal...so can we afford to play with someone who contributes nothi Nd but the odd important goal OR could we be more effective over 90 minutes with another approach? Then you ask yourself, what formation and team do I use next time to avoid needing a last gasp life line against mid table European cannon fodder?
I am not happy with how Ronaldo has played but this is false.

If you think Greenwood, Elanga and others would have got us out of the group, you don't recall last season? Where we failed to get out the group.

We have seen how well Martial, Rashford, Cavani have played this season. Its not 1 goal he scored, he got the WHOLE team out of Jail not just him.

Also, Ronaldo didn't contribute nothing for us and has 6 CL goals, how many do the ones that "contribute" have?

captaincantona

I am not happy with how Ronaldo has played but this is false.

If you think Greenwood, Elanga and others would have got us out of the group, you don't recall last season? Where we failed to get out the group.

We have seen how well Martial, Rashford, Cavani have played this season. Its not 1 goal he scored, he got the WHOLE team out of Jail not just him.

Also, Ronaldo didn't contribute nothing for us and has 6 CL goals, how many do the ones that "contribute" have?
Are you comparing last years group to this years group? And you do know we scraped through this group by the skin of our teeth and played absolutely horrifically. I just don’t get how a couple of late goals from Ronaldo polishes the turd that is his overall performances. I don’t care about his legacy. He has just not been very good. He has not carried us through anything. We scraped through a very poor CL group balancing his lack of contribution generally with the fact he provides a goal threat and a calm head. All I’m saying is that take him out of that team, I don’t see us playing much better or much worse than we did. He added nothing. It’s very feasible that any of those players might have helped us nick a goal earlier in this games due to their own, al be they limited, skill sets. You can’t possibly say that definitely wouldn’t have happened. So therefore you can’t say we wouldn’t have gotten out of the group without Ronaldo. Your view is too simple.
Ronny has negatives and positives. His positives are not very positive. We don’t truly know how negative his negatives are until we have a better attacking structure and striker to compare. That won’t happen till next season.

the_cliff

I'm a big critic of Ronaldo but he played well yesterday, his link up play is lacking but his lethal finish is what you expect from him. That is his minimum expectation, Again, as I've mentioned countless times, as long as he's finishing I don't mind the lack of pressing and weak link up play. The problem is when he's not finishing.

When he's not scoring he's dropping stinkers, 2/10s.

Being on 500k a week and leading the line, the expectations of him are a goal a game, if that doesn't happen he's performed below expectations.

Marwood

Guys he didn't press in 2007 but we won plenty. There's an obsession with pressing now. It's what he doesn't do with the ball compared to 2007 that's the problem.

arnie_ni

The post I quoted from you was a whole paragraph of you saying he's shit and awful ignoring the first half of the season so far which he wasn't.

Unless you were just talking about the past couple of months but you didn't caveat your post with that

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
We need him back scoring. Last night was important he got that goal. A non scoring, sulking Ronaldo is a serious problem for the side

But I still stand by the opinion it needs to be 1 season only. I think we would be crazy to keep him a 2nd year

captaincantona

Guys he didn't press in 2007 but we won plenty. There's an obsession with pressing now. It's what he doesn't do with the ball compared to 2007 that's the problem.
Who said pressing was the only issue? I am just going old school here...he has been embarrassing to watch of late. No touch, weak beyond belief, getting bullied off the ball, slow, clumsy, falling over, unpredictable position ally and not being in dangerous areas generally. He was lethal in 2007 so no one gave a fuk about his ability to press...but now, it’s just one of many issues. He basically needs to score to justify his inclusion because he does very little else.

that said, I repeat again, I thought he was good last night and his goal was a goal no one else in the team could score. If we had any decent alternative I would still move away from using him so much.

romufc

Are you comparing last years group to this years group? And you do know we scraped through this group by the skin of our teeth and played absolutely horrifically. I just don’t get how a couple of late goals from Ronaldo polishes the turd that is his overall performances. I don’t care about his legacy. He has just not been very good. He has not carried us through anything. We scraped through a very poor CL group balancing his lack of contribution generally with the fact he provides a goal threat and a calm head. All I’m saying is that take him out of that team, I don’t see us playing much better or much worse than we did. He added nothing. It’s very feasible that any of those players might have helped us nick a goal earlier in this games due to their own, al be they limited, skill sets. You can’t possibly say that definitely wouldn’t have happened. So therefore you can’t say we wouldn’t have gotten out of the group without Ronaldo. Your view is too simple.
Ronny has negatives and positives. His positives are not very positive. We don’t truly know how negative his negatives are until we have a better attacking structure and striker to compare. That won’t happen till next season.
Yes, I am comparing. We had Leipzig, PSG and the Turkish team. Where are both teams this season in the CL?

Also, you do also realise we play with 11 men not 1? So why couldn't the other players help us nick a goal this season?

He added nothing? His goals against Villareal and Atalanta are the reason we are in the last 16, what bit of that don't you get? Look at the goals he scored, none of the players we have right now score those goals.

Look at the games Ronaldo hasn't started, have we won those game ? No.

I agree he is not playing well but he is scoring crucial goals for us. I mean it is simple, other players had chances to score goals in other games, they didnt.

captaincantona

The post I quoted from you was a whole paragraph of you saying he's shit and awful ignoring the first half of the season so far which he wasn't.

Unless you were just talking about the past couple of months but you didn't caveat your post with that
No I am very much talking about his whole time at the club.

but what I am not doing is what you said I was doing...I am not blaming how shit we are all on him. I am simply saying he has done nothing to improve us or make us better and if we had ANY other viable alternative he should not be in the team based on the level of his performances. His goals and goal record is not impressive and is a result of us actively trying to play to his strengths...which has not improved us...so it begs the question why bother? Why not try be better than scraping through a piss poor CL group?

the_cliff

Yes, I am comparing. We had Leipzig, PSG and the Turkish team. Where are both teams this season in the CL?

Also, you do also realise we play with 11 men not 1? So why couldn't the other players help us nick a goal this season?

He added nothing? His goals against Villareal and Atalanta are the reason we are in the last 16, what bit of that don't you get? Look at the goals he scored, none of the players we have right now score those goals.

I agree he is not playing well but he is scoring crucial goals for us. I mean it is simple, other players had chances to score goals in other games, they didnt.
Well Leipzig ended up in a group with City and PSG this year, so that's really not a good argument.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Except he's not that lethal anymore, needing 3-4 clear chances to score one goal.

What I really didn't like seeing was him looking uninterested when Bruno scored the second goal, that still shows team success is still just a second thought in his mind.

So he had a decent game but still not convinced he's a team player. Hopefully he continues to be less selfish as displayed against Brighton.
Yeah, I didn’t like that. Think we might be over-reading though. Maybe he was muted because of how the team were holding on and acknowledging that these standards are not acceptable for MUFC.

captaincantona

It is very clear the PSG group was much stronger in every way and please just accept we differ in opinion-

you see it simply. Ronaldo scores the goals that salvaged those results which technically kept us in the competition.

I see it as entirely feasible , that if youwatch back his 90 minute performances in the CL...they were nothing special at all and in fact quite poor in some respects. His goals don’t justify that or prove that had we set up differently or used a different approach, we may have been more compact and not needed to be rescued in the first place. That is not unreasonable.

mans regardless, last minutes goals to keep us in a competition when we are completely awful otherwise, including him, is not something to celebrate.

Gottabekiddingme

We need him back scoring. Last night was important he got that goal. A non scoring, sulking Ronaldo is a serious problem for the side

But I still stand by the opinion it needs to be 1 season only. I think we would be crazy to keep him a 2nd year
Good luck getting rid of his 15M salary. If he doesn't find a team he'll sit on the bench and take the money :lol:

Marwood

Who said pressing was the only issue? I am just going old school here...he has been embarrassing to watch of late. No touch, weak beyond belief, getting bullied off the ball, slow, clumsy, falling over, unpredictable position ally and not being in dangerous areas generally. He was lethal in 2007 so no one gave a fuk about his ability to press...but now, it’s just one of many issues. He basically needs to score to justify his inclusion because he does very little else.

that said, I repeat again, I thought he was good last night and his goal was a goal no one else in the team could score. If we had any decent alternative I would still move away from using him so much.
Don't think I claimed your position was exclusive to his pressing. But it is an argument that is heavily made as to why we need to move on from him. When it should be at the bottom of the reasons to move him on.

Roux

I thought he was great - could easily have had 2 goals and 2 assists.

Marwood

Except he's not that lethal anymore, needing 3-4 clear chances to score one goal.

What I really didn't like seeing was him looking uninterested when Bruno scored the second goal,
that still shows team success is still just a second thought in his mind.

So he had a decent game but still not convinced he's a team player. Hopefully he continues to be less selfish as displayed against Brighton.
He's always been like that. Literally since we first signed him.

troylocker

My I ask that you base that statement on what? Because he has never played for City or Bayern, while he was possibly the best player that ever play for Real Madrid.

At only three years at Juventus he won:
- Two consecutive Serie A
- One Coppa Italia
- One Supercoppa Italiana
- One Capocannoniere (Italian Golden Boot)
He is the fastest player in Juventus history to reach 100 goals. He holds the league record of scoring in 11th consecutive league game. If he was the failure at Juventus because he didn't win Champion League with them, then all of the players of Manchester City have been failure.
He made them a worse team, that's why they were glad to get rid.

They had won 7 straight scudettis, 4/7 copa Italias, 4/7 supercopas and the had been in 2 of the last 5 CL finals before he arrived....He was expected to take them to the next level, and he didn't.
His goalscoring record there was very good, but was record breaking only because he was allowed to take 34 (!!) penalties in 3 seasons for them. 0,56 non penalty goals per 90 minutes 72 goals in 135 games) for Juve is not as world class as one should think....

acnumber9

Are you comparing last years group to this years group? And you do know we scraped through this group by the skin of our teeth
We won the group with a game to spare. Not sure that qualifies as scraping through by the skin of your teeth.

RepardReece

It is very clear the PSG group was much stronger in every way and please just accept we differ in opinion-

you see it simply. Ronaldo scores the goals that salvaged those results which technically kept us in the competition.

I see it as entirely feasible , that if youwatch back his 90 minute performances in the CL...they were nothing special at all and in fact quite poor in some respects. His goals don’t justify that or prove that had we set up differently or used a different approach, we may have been more compact and not needed to be rescued in the first place. That is not unreasonable.

mans regardless, last minutes goals to keep us in a competition when we are completely awful otherwise, including him, is not something to celebrate.
It's not just the salvaged goals, it's the performances we saw without Ronaldo in the squad too. Everyone saw ole trying to play on the front foot more even pre Ronaldo.

pre-Ronaldo we were tragic at the back end of last season - we were the most fortunate team ever to not even concede to Wolves in our 1-0 win early in the current season either. These performances for me justify that even without Ronaldo, we'd be in a similar boat (if not worse off with no CL).

Without Ronaldo in the CL, where would the goals have come from? We have Rashford completely off the boil, Sancho hadn't found his footing yet, Cavani injury prone, Bruno's goal contributions haven't been great since the back end of last season, and the guy we shall not name just cut in and shot all game long.
I really don't see us getting through that group without him. Change Ronaldo for Cavani and there would not have been a big difference in the performances, bar the goals Ronny scored.

I think we lose to Atalanta both times without Ronaldo, which sees us exit. I don't see the 2-1 win against Villareal either. Maybe we beat Young Boys under Rangnick but it doesn't make a difference in the end.

I don't think he's done well for us this season, but in the champions league his performances did improve, and if you don't see that I don't know what games you've been watching. IMO it's a very biased opinion to have saying he was poor in the CL too.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

It's not just the salvaged goals, it's the performances we saw without Ronaldo in the squad too. Everyone saw ole trying to play on the front foot more even pre Ronaldo.

pre-Ronaldo we were tragic at the back end of last season - we were the most fortunate team ever to not even concede to Wolves in our 1-0 win early in the current season either. These performances for me justify that even without Ronaldo, we'd be in a similar boat (if not worse off with no CL).

Without Ronaldo in the CL, where would the goals have come from? We have Rashford completely off the boil, Sancho hadn't found his footing yet, Cavani injury prone, Bruno's goal contributions haven't been great since the back end of last season, and the guy we shall not name just cut in and shot all game long.
I really don't see us getting through that group without him. Change Ronaldo for Cavani and there would not have been a big difference in the performances, bar the goals Ronny scored.

I think we lose to Atalanta both times without Ronaldo, which sees us exit. I don't see the 2-1 win against Villareal either. Maybe we beat Young Boys under Rangnick but it doesn't make a difference in the end.

I don't think he's done well for us this season, but in the champions league his performances did improve, and if you don't see that I don't know what games you've been watching. IMO it's a very biased opinion to have saying he was poor in the CL too.
Yea it seems people are conveniently forgetting we've been largely shit since this time last year, it didn't just happened because we supposedly changed our game to suit Ronaldo.

captaincantona

Yea it seems people are conveniently forgetting we've been largely shit since this time last year, it didn't just happened because we supposedly changed our game to suit Ronaldo.
Who is forgetting that? I am saying we were shit before hand. Shit now. We looked marginally more stable last season... but that is not directly attributable solely to Ronaldo. I am also saying that just because he is the focal point of our attack does not mean we are only as good as we are because of him. I am saying we would be no less good or bad. He has made zero impact. His performances, even his best ones, have been to a standard level. Go watch back all his touches in the famous Atalanta performance. Completely ordinary.

My point is, if another striker not called Ronaldo was turning in those performances and scoring those goals...NO ONE...would be on here saying that such a player dragged us anywhere or was the reason we were still in the CL.

He has been, an average...completely average. So why not call an egg and egg.

Surely for 600k a week, we are allowed to expect an improvement and more contribution? After all this guy was signed instead of a midfielder which we desperately needed. People have a right to be angry with the performances

arnie_ni

Surely for 600k a week, we are allowed to expect an improvement and more contribution? After all this guy was signed instead of a midfielder which we desperately needed. People have a right to be angry with the performances
He wasn't signed instead of a midfielder. We weren't signing anyone in midfield.

arnie_ni

Who is forgetting that? I am saying we were shit before hand. Shit now. We looked marginally more stable last season... but that is not directly attributable solely to Ronaldo. I am also saying that just because he is the focal point of our attack does not mean we are only as good as we are because of him. I am saying we would be no less good or bad. He has made zero impact. His performances, even his best ones, have been to a standard level. Go watch back all his touches in the famous Atalanta performance. Completely ordinary.

My point is, if another striker not called Ronaldo was turning in those performances and scoring those goals...NO ONE...would be on here saying that such a player dragged us anywhere or was the reason we were still in the CL.

I just don't agree, at least up until 2 or 3 months ago. We're going around in circles here so no point carrying it on.

padzilla

Hipster
He wasn't signed instead of a midfielder. We weren't signing anyone in midfield.
Sadly I agree, our business was done and dusted but Ronaldo was seen as a signing that would pay for himself in commercial opportunities. A 36 year old on 500k a week - the very definition of a luxury signing.

arnie_ni

Sadly I agree, our business was done and dusted but Ronaldo was seen as a signing that would pay for himself in commercial opportunities. A 36 year old on 500k a week - the very definition of a luxury signing.
Yes we were done until that opportunity arose, which is actually mad when you think of it because were would we have been without him being available to play?

Would martial have got his act together and decided he wanted to play up top?

Yes we were done until that opportunity arose, which is actually mad when you think of it because were would we have been without him being available to play?

We finished 2nd last season, what are you talking about :lol: we are clearly worst with Ronaldo, hence our results and position

Scottynaldinho

The notion that he isn't pressing is purely based on reputation. He's tracking back and more often than not deeper than he should be. If anything, he should be staying forward more.

Scottynaldinho

I remember a phase of play around 40 minute mark where he made 4 dashing runs into the box within a minute with 4 different players on the ball. Nobody played the ball to him.

padzilla

Hipster

Well isn't one of the gripes that Martial, or rather his fans, claims is that the club has always undermined his development by constantly signing alternatives since he arrived at the club.

He scored 19 goals in his first season as a teenager so we go out and sign 35-year-old Zlatan instead of trusting in Martial as the future of the club, then we signed Lukaku for more than 70 million, at the start of this season now it's Ronaldo - there could very well be an argument that his confidence is gone because of the club never trusting him to be a leader.

RepardReece

Clearly not really reading posts.

Name another player that scores the winning / go ahead or equalizing goal in all the cl games barring Young Boys when he didn't play? There isn't. CL outcome would not be the same. I'm not repeating my previous post so I won't add to that but that is not zero impact is it?

If Bruno carried in those performances we would be labeling him for dragging us through the mud, as everyone here labeled him for when he first joined.

We all agree with you he has been average for the most part, but the fact you can't accept he dragged us through the mud in the CL is a ridiculous argument, especially considering he won us all 10 points in the games he played and scored 6/10 goals in those games. Name another player who would've had a similar involvement for us?

If you come back and repeat yourself saying the games would've been different or something or other without him, just think about the games late last season and the wolves game early this season before he joined, there's no difference (again, as I mentioned on my previous post). Looping around again and again and again...

arnie_ni

We finished 2nd last season, what are you talking about :lol: we are clearly worst with Ronaldo, hence our results and position
What has any of that got to do with what I said which was.... Who would actually be playing up front this season if he hadn't been signed?

Status
Not open for further replies.