5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart89

The quick shot right after the second to last touch reminded me of his goal against Dynamo Kiev from back when we were good :drool:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Ronaldo getting back into form before CL is a big bonus.

He has the same issue but if he can do what he did today, then it wont matter

Luke1995

True, but he was a completely different player then. It’s painful watching his decline now.
We have never been here before. In 2008/2009 he probably got a bunch of assists and created loads of chances terrorising the opposition.

What we have today is a complete shadow of that great player, not even slightly comparable.
Even if that's true, he will still score more goals than our other forwards this season.

I can't do the math off the top of my head but he probably has more goals in the season than Cavani, Rashford and Sancho right now.

Luke1995

In regards to his performance in today's game, whenever he got the ball he looked dangerous. One of his best games in the season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Beautiful goal. Right when we needed it. Probably should have bagged a header tonight too. If we can get Ronaldo scoring again it'll make a massive difference to our season.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Even if that's true, he will still score more goals than our other forwards this season.

I can't do the math off the top of my head but he probably has more goals in the season than Cavani, Rashford and Sancho right now.
Correct: 15 vs 11, and nearly double the next player in Bruno (8)

L1nk

If you listen to the commentators (if you don't see yourself) he makes run after run and our players don't bother to try and find him. If we found even half of these runs we might get him in to score some more goals. Been pretty poor as of late but improved tonight and a fantastic taken goal

city-puma

It’s good to see him finally start to adjust his game. He was not greedy today like before. Hope him continue like that.

NewYorkRed

His best game for us in 3 months. Looked on it.

We really shouldn’t have let Martial or Amad go. We look light upfront and we need someone to create more space for him. Prime messi would struggle in this team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great goal, finally. Made some good decisions in attack too. This is basically what we need him to do every game for his lack of anything defensive to be worth it overall. His confidence obviously took a hit lately too, but hopefully that goal gets him going again. Perfect time to get a few goals against Atletico...

AndyMUFC

Fantastic finish to end his draught. Still great to get moments from him like that again despite his form.

MrEleson

Would still be scoring 40+ goals a season if he was still at Madrid (imo) so was never in doubt he’d get back his scoring boots eventually. We’ve just struggled massively as a team recently. Hopefully, he keeps it up for the CL.

captaincantona

Would still be scoring 40+ goals a season if he was still at Madrid (imo) so was never in doubt he’d get back his scoring boots eventually. We’ve just struggled massively as a team recently. Hopefully, he keeps it up for the CL.
Revisionism of extreme proportions...he was shite for the last 2 months. Was good today and scored a great goal. Let’s leave it there.

DutchCruijff

He missed two simple chances - the two headers - that he would have buried at a younger age.

He had a couple more half chances too.

I'm pleased that he's scored but he's still out of form and struggling. I just hope it is just a form matter and he hasn't deteriorated this much due to age.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That was a great goal, and a good performance.

Last edited:

IWat

Bizarre how people are using words such as "shite" etc. Yet he's the only player above 10 goals 2/3 of the way through the season and is nearly double our next highest scorer when he wasn't even here for August. He's 37, slowly declining and I am certainly not claiming he's like his prime. But if he's been shite, I don't think there is word in the English language to describe most of the rest of the team.

Luke1995

Correct: 15 vs 11, and nearly double the next player in Bruno (8)
Yeah, so the question then becomes: Should we accept some of his very bad performances knowing that sooner or later he will do something good, ?

Like ''Oh yeah, he was bad today but when he'll score the other forwards probably won't...''

I don't feel confortable criticizing him for bad performances and then celebrating whenever he scores.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't even think his general play has been that bad recently. He's just missed so many chances. That's why I've been fine with him despite said misses.

I've noticed this season that in the final, what, 10 to 5 minutes of a game he turns into Carlos Tevez and chases back like a scalded dog whether it's to see out a game or get the ball back so we can get a result.

Mr PG

Too many excuses for Ronaldo here. Good game today but really offers next to nothing off the ball and is one of the reasons we get dominated as other teams have 10 outfield players fighting all game.

rooney2009

Great Goal and good performance in the 2nd half
We were rubbish on the 1st half and could easily have been a couple of goals down as the pressing was so non existent
I thought we played better in our last two matches actually.
Ronaldo is 37 and he is not the future
He has scored more goal because he plays more games than the other strikers and he is undroppable, He has als missed the most chances
We need to move on from this Ronaldo Fc and his supporters stuff and hope he leaves at the end of the season cos we won’t be improving with him as our main striker

captaincantona

Bizarre how people are using words such as "shite" etc. Yet he's the only player above 10 goals 2/3 of the way through the season and is nearly double our next highest scorer when he wasn't even here for August. He's 37, slowly declining and I am certainly not claiming he's like his prime. But if he's been shite, I don't think there is word in the English language to describe most of the rest of the team.
Not bizarre...he has been shite...as has everyone else.

IWat

Not bizarre...he has been shite...as has everyone else.
You can't really use the same word for him and the rest of the forward line IMO. He doesn't offer that much off the ball, he hasn't since he was young, no one should have expected that. The problem for us is when you look at the stats, he's not doing any worse than any of the other forwards yet is scoring a fair amount of goals, unlike them. He's 2 goals off what Cavani managed last season in 37 games, and I don't think anyone described what he did at his age as "shite."

If you compare him to Rashford and Greenwood, he's assisted at the same or better rate per minute (which doesn't say much). He's having about the same amount of passes per 90. He's creating more chances per 90 than anyone bar Shaw and Bruno. Yet he's the only one getting the ball in the net, which is what wins football matches.

IWat

He has scored more goal because he plays more games than the other strikers and he is undroppable, He has als missed the most chances
On a goals per-game basis, it's still pretty awful for everyone who is not him (Bruno's 8 in 32 in his position aside.)

Ronaldo 15 in 27
Rashford 5 in 21
Cavani 2 in 15
Greenwood 6 in 24
Sancho 4 in 27.

If you add them all up, Ronaldo is coming close to outscoring the rest of the front line combined.

captaincantona

You can't really use the same word for him and the rest of the forward line IMO. He doesn't offer that much off the ball, he hasn't since he was young, no one should have expected that. The problem for us is when you look at the stats, he's not doing any worse than any of the other forwards yet is scoring a fair amount of goals, unlike them. He's 2 goals off what Cavani managed last season in 37 games, and I don't think anyone described what he did at his age as "shite."

If you compare him to Rashford and Greenwood, he's assisted at the same or better rate per minute (which doesn't say much). He's having about the same amount of passes per 90. He's creating more chances per 90 than anyone bar Shaw and Bruno. Yet he's the only one getting the ball in the net, which is what wins football matches.
Stop quoting stats that just show how far you’re stretching.

he has been SHITE. No touch, no strength, no ball retention, no link up, no finishing. Nothing. He has embarrassed himself on many occasions...falling over and losing the ball needlessly. Just as bad as anyone else. So let’s just call and egg an egg. Same way a goal against Atalanta didn’t cover up an ordinary performance, goals are goals, performances are performances. Ronaldo has been Shite. I was first in here to credit his goal and performance tonight. But let’s not rewrite history. He has been awful.

IWat

Stop quoting stats that just show how far you’re stretching.

he has been SHITE. No touch, no strength, no ball retention, no link up, no finishing. Nothing. He has embarrassed himself on many occasions...falling over and losing the ball needlessly. Just as bad as anyone else. So let’s just call and egg an egg. Same way a goal against Atalanta didn’t cover up an ordinary performance, goals are goals, performances are performances. Ronaldo has been Shite. I was first in here to credit his goal and performance tonight. But let’s not rewrite history. He has been awful.
Yes but some statistics just paint a picture don't they?

Ronaldo 15 in 27
Rest of front line: 17 in 87 combined

And let me clarify again, I am not saying he has been amazing, I agree at times he has very much looked 37.

captaincantona

Yes but some statistics just paint a picture don't they?

Ronaldo 15 in 27
Rest of front line: 17 in 87 combined

And let me clarify again, I am not saying he has been amazing, I agree at times he has very much looked 37.
This arguement has been done to death. He does this in every team. He is the focus of the attack. Took free kicks and penalties from Bruno. Crosses are aimed toward him. Bruno is magnetically drawn to trying to find him. The stat is a self fulfilling prophecy that only proves we are less potent with him in the team compared to previous seasons.

IWat

This arguement has been done to death. He does this in every team. He is the focus of the attack. Took free kicks and penalties from Bruno. Crosses are aimed toward him. Bruno is magnetically drawn to trying to find him. The stat is a self fulfilling prophecy that only proves we are less potent with him in the team compared to previous seasons.
I think it's blown far out of proportion. Yes, he takes pens and free kicks and so that helps, sure. But if you look at Juve this season now he's gone, there has not been some sudden resurgence of goal scoring from other players, those goals just seem to have gone. Dybala has seen an increase after his bad season last year, but it doesn't come close to replacing his goals.

Same with Real, Benzema scored 18 more goals (30 total), Bale 7 less (21 to 14) the season after he left. Certainly came nowhere close to replacing Ronaldo's 44 the season before.

Rashford has seen a dip in form, Cavani is 35, Greenwood is.. yeah, and Sancho is taking some adjusting and given his age and only coming in the summer that's fine. I could see Rashford's dip being related potentially, but I don't really think there is a way to prove that without Ronnie going. And right now I think we'd be in even worse shape if he did without an external replacement.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Except the fact that he has been scoring only very few penalty goals this season, and none from free kicks, whereas most of our cross has been aim at nowhere.

The United

Except the fact that he has been scoring only very few penalty goals this season, and none from free kicks, whereas most of our cross has been aim at nowhere.
By Dalot mostly.

But imagine how ridiculous it is that the teams create chances for the greatest scorer of all time or there about.

Status
Not open for further replies.