5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red4Life_#7

Just going to leave this here for the select group of people with poor memories.

' It's also worth remembering that United wouldn't even be in the last 16 were it not for Ronaldo, who netted six times in the group stage. '

I would also like to add that Ronaldo is adapting to playing with us once again. The Premier League is a much tougher, faster and a more relentless league in comparison to La Liga and Serie A where only a handful of teams completely dominate the league.

jm99

You do have some points, I'll give you that, but here's some more context for you:

Ronaldo had that nice backheel to Sancho, that gave Sancho a 0,13 xG-chance. The 2 he had against Brighton was much better, and on average 3 passes like that would end up in 1 goal combined (1,12 xA). So yeah, it could have been three if every chance were converted. This season Ronaldo has produced and xA of 3,55 and his teammates has converted 3 of his passes to goals. 0,55 goals less than expected over the entire season, so it's not like his teammates has massively let him down. The funny thing is that in the 20 games he played before that Brighton game he had produced a combined 2,32xA and his teammates had overperformed a bit up to that.
The most common way to define a players actual goalthreat and contributionrate is to add up his non penalty goals per 90 with his expected assists per 90 (npG90 + xA90). That way you measure only the factors that the player can influence himself (his own finishing, but not his teammates finishing). In the PL this season Ronaldo has produced a goalthreat of 0,54 npG90+xA90, which places him 26th in the PL for players with 500 minutes or more this season, and 3rd in our squad, behind Bruno (0,7) and Rashford (0,69).

For comparison with the best of the best (npG90+xA90):
Salah (1,00), Mbappe (0,85), Lewandowski (1,3), Haaland (1,29), Benzema (1,04)

It's quite extraordinary for a player with only 3 players above him in npxG90 (Salah, Mane and Jota) and only one player above him (Salah) in shots per 90 in the entire league to have the 26th best actual goalthreat in the league. His finishing has been that bad in the league this season.
Take away the first 2 games (Newcastle and West Ham) and the Brighton game, and he would be outside the top 50 in the league based on the other 19 league games (0,37npG90+xA90) this season....

Then comes the lack of defensive workrate and the other parts of his game that leaves a lot to be desired.

He's still very good at making himself available for service, but that is pretty much the only thing he does well these days.
I'm not going to disagree that his finishing has been sub par this season, but really that shouldn't be something that goes with age, and more likely just been poor form. I do think though that we're not playing to his strengths, wingers that prefer to cut inside so not that much crossing to take advantage of his aerial ability, his off the ball runs not getting spotted, I think his finishing should improve, it's not usually the first thing to deteriorate with age.

Some of the other things is his movement does often help out other players, look at Bruno's goal against Brighton, without Ronaldo being the only player running in support at the 90th minute the defender can stick to Bruno and he doesn't score that.

I do feel his workrate has improved under Ralf as well, at least from what I've seen.

If his finishing improves then he's still getting in the right positions, and should score a lot for us, but obviously if that's just gone rather than a temporary dip, then it's a problem

mctrials23

Just going to leave this here for the select group of people with poor memories.

' It's also worth remembering that United wouldn't even be in the last 16 were it not for Ronaldo, who netted six times in the group stage. '

I would also like to add that Ronaldo is adapting to playing with us once again. The Premier League is a much tougher, faster and a more relentless league in comparison to La Liga and Serie A where only a handful of teams completely dominate the league.
This is just an awful argument. Thats like saying that if Ronaldo wasn't in the team we wouldn't have scored those 6 goals. Perhaps without Ronaldo we wouldn't have needed his last minute goals. Perhaps Ole would still be in a job. Perhaps, perhaps perhaps.

Please stop with this ridiculous narrative that you can know outcome of events when you change the variables.

troylocker

I'm not going to disagree that his finishing has been sub par this season, but really that shouldn't be something that goes with age, and more likely just been poor form. I do think though that we're not playing to his strengths, wingers that prefer to cut inside so not that much crossing to take advantage of his aerial ability, his off the ball runs not getting spotted, I think his finishing should improve, it's not usually the first thing to deteriorate with age.

Some of the other things is his movement does often help out other players, look at Bruno's goal against Brighton, without Ronaldo being the only player running in support at the 90th minute the defender can stick to Bruno and he doesn't score that.

I do feel his workrate has improved under Ralf as well, at least from what I've seen.

If his finishing improves then he's still getting in the right positions, and should score a lot for us, but obviously if that's just gone rather than a temporary dip, then it's a problem
This is his 6th straight season underperforming his npxG. It will not drastically improve anytime soon.

Mac1997

His movement is top class, our players don't often pick up on it though.

I wonder if the additional work rate is impacting on his normal game. People complain about him pressing but he seems to do that a lot, people complain about his overall work rate which has shot up hugely, he seems to be absolutely flogging himself at the moment for the team. Maybe he needs to get back to being a bit more selfish in his play.

The rest of our forwards at the moment are way more selfish than him.

Ladron de redcafe

The most common way to define a players actual goalthreat and contributionrate is to add up his non penalty goals per 90 with his expected assists per 90 (npG90 + xA90). That way you measure only the factors that the player can influence himself (his own finishing, but not his teammates finishing). In the PL this season Ronaldo has produced a goalthreat of 0,54 npG90+xA90, which places him 26th in the PL for players with 500 minutes or more this season, and 3rd in our squad, behind Bruno (0,7) and Rashford (0,69).

For comparison with the best of the best (npG90+xA90):
Salah (1,00), Mbappe (0,85), Lewandowski (1,3), Haaland (1,29), Benzema (1,04)

It's quite extraordinary for a player with only 3 players above him in npxG90 (Salah, Mane and Jota) and only one player above him (Salah) in shots per 90 in the entire league to have the 26th best actual goalthreat in the league. His finishing has been that bad in the league this season.
Take away the first 2 games (Newcastle and West Ham) and the Brighton game, and he would be outside the top 50 in the league based on the other 19 league games (0,37npG90+xA90) this season....

Then comes the lack of defensive workrate and the other parts of his game that leaves a lot to be desired.

He's still very good at making himself available for service, but that is pretty much the only thing he does well these days.
Some shocking numbers there.

Red4Life_#7

This is just an awful argument. Thats like saying that if Ronaldo wasn't in the team we wouldn't have scored those 6 goals. Perhaps without Ronaldo we wouldn't have needed his last minute goals. Perhaps Ole would still be in a job. Perhaps, perhaps perhaps.

Please stop with this ridiculous narrative that you can know outcome of events when you change the variables.
I stated a few facts and you have gone off on a tangent. I didn't use the word 'perhaps' I spoke with precise definitive facts, without Ronaldo's last ditch goals we wouldn't still be in the competition, cut him some slack that's all I'm saying. We have nobody else at the club who can do what he does. Put your positive energy behind him and the team, we'll need it.

Irwin99

Has he really scored in 7 out of 22 premier league games?
Although he's on 9 goals overall I don't think he will even get to join the premier league's '100 goals' club by the end of the season as he'll probably be leaving at the end of this season. I think he needs 7 more goals to join that list. It's kind of sad because we were expecting him to break all these records and achievements when he joined.

Probably won't happen but IF he does stay next season and the club employs Poch who would want to play a high press system then Ronaldo might do better for having a proper preseason with us.

Zlaatan

Parody Account

That's not good movement, they are already 2 on 1 the moment Pogba plays the ball to Bruno so it would just be plain strange for a CF (or any other player) in Ronnie's position to not continue that run.

NewYorkRed

You just KNOW that he’s going to score tomorrow, don’t you? He is inevitable. Especially in the CL. Especially against Atleti.

mctrials23

I stated a few facts and you have gone off on a tangent. I didn't use the word 'perhaps' I spoke with precise definitive facts, without Ronaldo's last ditch goals we wouldn't still be in the competition, cut him some slack that's all I'm saying. We have nobody else at the club who can do what he does. Put your positive energy behind him and the team, we'll need it.
If the fireman who puts out a fire wasn't working that day, does the fire not get put out. Of course it does, someone else will be there in his place and perhaps they are a better fire fighter than him.

This is my point. You can say that without his goals we wouldn't be in the CL still and I can say that without Ronaldo in the team we wouldn't have needed his goals because he is part of the dysfunction that meant we needed last minute goals.

bakalhau

You just KNOW that he’s going to score tomorrow, don’t you? He is inevitable. Especially in the CL. Especially against Atleti.
I have a good feeling about tonight, but mostly about the tie. The dude has a serious knack to just murder Atlético every chance he gets. However, Ronaldo can't really just contribute in each and every single CL game, I mean no player ever played well every time, so we need a solid team performance. If we do get that, I think Ronaldo will be on top of his game to finish chances.

Varane knows Atlético inside out too which is a bonus. Hopefully with both at each end of the team formation, and knowing the opponent very well, will be a solid foundation to get into quarters. This Atlético team definitely isn't at the same level as prior years.

Stacks

If the fireman who puts out a fire wasn't working that day, does the fire not get put out. Of course it does, someone else will be there in his place and perhaps they are a better fire fighter than him.

This is my point. You can say that without his goals we wouldn't be in the CL still and I can say that without Ronaldo in the team we wouldn't have needed his goals because he is part of the dysfunction that meant we needed last minute goals.
yep

SER19

For all the legitimate criticism, he is the only reason we're looking forward to a big knockout match tonight and not the Europa. Absolutely dragged us through the group, Atalanta ties especially

Atletico Madrid 1:1 Man Utd

bakalhau

One of the least worse today. I respect if you guys see otherwise.

Barely put a pass wrong, decent link up play with the chest pass, the through ball to Rashford first half. Fundamental in the goal, his header opened up the play big time.

He also felt like the only one not shitting bricks out there like if Atlético were some super god...

Woodenlung

His worst performance in what has been an ever increasing run of poor performances. Ronaldo offered nothing today.

You can argue that he didn't get service, but what we needed was someone who's also help in our build up. Which he didn't.

We're essentially playing 500k per week for a six yard box poacher.

Deery

Dreary
I think he mouthed something like “That’s it” walking off and shaking his head.

Think he might be away..

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He has not got it anymore. Had a nice ball on the wing at the end and knew he has no pace so he dived.

bakalhau

His worst performance in what has been an ever increasing run of poor performances. Ronaldo offered nothing today.
You guys really hard to please eh? Offered nothing except rescuing a ball out of nowhere which directly lead to the goal:houllier: there's no middle ground with you guys

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think he should be Starting games. At what point does his all round play became a net negative?

YooNow

Played very well tonight, one of the better players out there

Good link up play, offered energy going forward, defensive contribution

Only thing missing have been goals, which is worrying considering his recent goal drought.

arnie_ni

One of the least worse today. I respect if you guys see otherwise.

Barely put a pass wrong, decent link up play with the chest pass, the through ball to Rashford first half. Fundamental in the goal, his header opened up the play big time.

He also felt like the only one not shitting bricks out there like if Atlético were some super god...
Agreed.

lost7

We have Telles and Bruno who are better than him at taking free kicks. Why does he always take them? This is Manchester United, not Ronaldo fc

Status
Not open for further replies.