Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pintu

And Ronaldo scored 36 last season.
Ronaldo’s goalscoring isn’t the issue. It’s his contribution to the overall game. He’s already scored 18 goals this season and that’s a good tally.

But with Juventus he was in the best squad of the Italian league and they barely scrapped the top 4 finish. It suggests he was part of a wider problem.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I appreciate what he has done here. In fact if not for him I think we would have less goals so far this season. But we have to stop signing old players before turning into the old AC Milan.

I think he wouldnt stay. Which is okay. Lets move on and let this one season pass.

Deery

Dreary
Ronaldo’s goalscoring isn’t the issue. It’s his contribution to the overall game. He’s already scored 18 goals this season and that’s a good tally.

But with Juventus he was in the best squad of the Italian league and they barely scrapped the top 4 finish. It suggests he was part of a wider problem.
No it doesn’t it suggests Juventus aren’t the team the once were.

EtH

Sure come back to me when Vlahovic picks up his fifth Ballon D’Or or fifth Champion’s League medal sure.
What the feck does that have to do with this season ? Or next season ? Or the one after that ?

IhabX7

I’m implying that he’s the better player who could actually be relied on consistently. And not just now but in the future as well. Rather than a 37 year old publicity stunt.
If Rashford, Martial, and Cavani performed at 80% of their previous levels, we would be in the top 4 and through to the next round in the Champions League. Not to mention being suddenly without Greenwood.

Ronaldo has done his job under immense pressure to deliver and scored some great goals. No one player would have this season. It was a collective failure.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Sure come back to me when Vlahovic picks up his fifth Ballon D’Or or fifth Champion’s League medal sure.
The present is the present, the past is the past.

Messi and Ronaldo are done at top level, it doesn't matter how many Balloon D'ors they have, United might as well sign old Van Basten or Platini if we are talking about individual accolades earned in the past.

Ronaldo didn't solve United issues , because it was a desperate move, if AC Milan would have been interested in him instead of City, United wouldn't have never signed him.

Pintu

No it doesn’t it suggests Juventus aren’t the team the once were.
And that’s partly because of CR7 being given such a central role in the team, and keeping that role even with his overall level declining. It’s similar to what’s happening here now… Even though we were already poor before him… He actually got us out of the group stage, which is better than last year’s result.

I which we could use him as a part time player. And Super sub for the really very big games.

Metal

Can't fault Ronaldo's work ethic last night, he gave 100% looked sharp in the first half and was still trying to make something happen even towards the end when he was exhausted.

But I have to question the role he was given tonight as he was clearly instructed to roam from position, we saw him on the flanks, in the middle of the pitch, dropping deep into defence to help dalot and rarely centre in the box. Ralf had him pressing like a mad man I don't get it

The guy is 37 years old and you want him to do run around like a workhorse.

The last two games he's really worked for the team but still I don't think we should be planning the future around him, you won't get hattricks and match winners like against spurs every week, the guy is past his best and will not accept a sub ordinate role behind a young new striker if we were to get one.

Deery

Dreary
The present is the present, the past is the past.

Messi and Ronaldo are done at top level, it doesn't matter how many Balloon D'ors they have, United might as well sign old Van Basten or Platini if we are talking about individual accolades earned in the past.

Ronaldo didn't solve United issues , because it was a desperate move, if AC Milan would have been interested in him instead of City, United wouldn't have never signed him.
You can’t blame it all on Ronaldo though, who if you add everything up arguably comes out as our best player over the course of this season. I mean everyone on the Caf is saying we shouldn’t keep more than two-three players out the squad, how was Ronaldo ever going to succeed or any striker for that matter?

goptun

You’re the one saying he’s a better player.
The fact that Ronaldo's legs and body are clearly failing him (and fair enough, he's 37!) is a massive issue. He can't realistically be relied upon to perform to an acceptable standard every game, which is what you need from your most highly paid, leading number 9.

Marwood

In the real world we could’ve just bought Vlahovic instead of bailing Juve out of Ronaldo’s massive contract and effectively funding their purchase of Vlahovic.

I’m done with this discussion now if you can’t get that very simple point which I have made more times than I would like now.
I'm not sure you get what real world means.

You keep going on about Vlahovic. That was never happening. It only exists in your head. He was never coming, regardless of Ronaldo's last minute signing.

It was this squad with Ronaldo. Or this squad without Ronaldo.

Like I asked, which would you prefer this sseason?

Deery

Dreary
The fact that Ronaldo's legs and body are clearly failing him (and fair enough, he's 37!) is a massive issue. He can't realistically be relied upon to perform to an acceptable standard every game, which is what you need from your most highly paid, leading number 9.
He needs resting, but as I said above he’s arguably our best player and has had no support from Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood or Martial. I think he’s done a pretty decent job for us tbh all things considered and yes including age.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
He clearly means current Ronaldo not peak Ronaldo.

Benzema is better than current Ronaldo. Doesn't mean he comes close to prime CR7

He is not the problem but his ego is. He has to realise he can't play every minute of every game anymore. We should be using him once every week or two in the right situation, where he can be lethal. Playing twice a week just leaves us with an empty shell that can't keep up with the game.

He also needs to stop drifting. He adds nothing when he's hanging out on the touchline. Stay in the box and do what he's best at.

bakalhau

He is not the problem but his ego is. He has to realise he can't play every minute of every game anymore. We should be using him once every week or two in the right situation, where he can be lethal. Playing twice a week just leaves us with an empty shell that can't keep up with the game.

He also needs to stop drifting. He adds nothing when he's hanging out on the touchline. Stay in the box and do what he's best at.
I'm not saying he's gotta drift and go and do stuff that shouldn't be his role, but it will be just as much an issue if he stays in the box to be a static peon waiting for crosses that, unfortunately, are always pretty bad, save for an exception or two once in a bluemoon. The best version of him yesterday was the defensive and link up side of him... It should never be that the only thing I remember from a game of his are his defensive contributions. At the bare minimum, I should be remembering the chances he either missed or scored. Of course no team ever produces attacking goods every single game, but it's a recurring issue with United. As soon as United were all in and he was back to being in the box waiting for crosses, he vanished from the game as United vanished as a minimally decent attacking side. Once he saw it wasn't working out and when Cavani came, he drifted again and appeared more once again... And he wasn't wrong either, I cannot remember a chance from a cross in the last 10-12 minutes.

Edit: It's also an issue that he could be in the box or very close around it and players barely move up and cut through the central line of defense through quick, creative passing, we're barely able to do that too.
PS: this isn't a dig at his teammates, just general way I look at attacking dynamics this season

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Could it be that they had a rookie coach last season?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Best side that may not make top four this season and had to sack its coach?

Irwin99

Other than PSG or Sporting, not really sure where else he can go other than a commercial move somewhere but you get the feeling Ronnie is so obsessed with personal stats, champions league goals that his ego won't let him take the easier route.

I hope it's not an acrimonious farewell with United where the club want to keep him against his wishes or he tries to force a move (again). Odd matches like the ones against Arsenal and Spurs have been nice for the sake of nostalgia. Hopefully in his final 9 games left with the club we get a few more memories and maybe (extremely wishful thinking) he helps us get top 4.

jm99

I thought he did very well in the first half. Anonymous after half time. He was running on empty. Nothing left in the tank. I’m going to say this after every match. He’s 37 years old. The expectation he could or should play every match is absolute madness.
I completely agree with this but really the problem is who do we play in the games we rest Ronaldo? Rashford is atrocious at the moment, greenwood is almost certainly never playing for the club again, martial is out on loan, really who are we left with? I mean to be honest, imagining what this season would have been like without the last minute clearly unplanned Ronaldo doesn't bear thinking about, with cavani permanently crocked and the rest out of form or having been arrested

MoskvaRed

I completely agree with this but really the problem is who do we play in the games we rest Ronaldo? Rashford is atrocious at the moment, greenwood is almost certainly never playing for the club again, martial is out on loan, really who are we left with? I mean to be honest, imagining what this season would have been like without the last minute clearly unplanned Ronaldo doesn't bear thinking about, with cavani permanently crocked and the rest out of form or having been arrested
Presumably they would have been forced to keep Martial at the club if Ronaldo were not here although that option would not inspire much confidence.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
At the age of 36. And offers absolutely nothing Vlahovic does on and off the ball. And guess who has scored more goals this season and who will score more for seasons to come.
The only actual question that needs answering, is would this Vlahovic score more for THIS United team than Ronaldo does.
And there's no conclusive answer on that.

arnie_ni

In the real world we could’ve just bought Vlahovic instead of bailing Juve out of Ronaldo’s massive contract and effectively funding their purchase of Vlahovic.

I’m done with this discussion now if you can’t get that very simple point which I have made more times than I would like now.
You're living in fantasy land. We weren't signing anyone else if we didn't sign Ronaldo. We were rolling as we were and he became available. There's no point saying ah we'd have better if we signed x y z. We weren't signing anyone, it's a pointless discussion

arnie_ni

The only actual question that needs answering, is would this Vlahovic score more for THIS United team than Ronaldo does.
It doesn't even need answered. We weren't signing him so why even discuss him, and if we are why ask the same question about mbappe or halaand or benzema or Harry kane or Pele for that matter.

All had the same chance of being signed in the summer

jm99

In the real world we could’ve just bought Vlahovic instead of bailing Juve out of Ronaldo’s massive contract and effegone ctively funding their purchase of Vlahovic.

In the real world we didn't have £70m to spend last summer, and if we did it probably would have been spent on a midfielder.

This is a pretty ludicrous position to be honest, rather than signing Ronaldo why didn't we spend £70m on a different player.

In the same vein, inside of signing Sancho we would have just got mbappe,

bakalhau

Juventus aren't better off without Ronaldo, but that would be obvious for anyone that saw them week in and week out for the last 3 years (and anyone that's neutral on the club and can see things like they are). They aren't much worse either, just a tiny bit for now, it's just a case their problems run way deeper than just a single man which actually was performing most of the time, and consistently adding points to their league runs.

Obviously financially Juve really went to crap lately, but one can't blame Ronaldo for Juve's decision to take him at those conditions.

EtH

He would’ve added much more to our play both on and off the ball so would need to have been quite poor in front of goal to be any worse overall. Never mind the fact that he would be doing it next year and the next for us as well.

You're living in fantasy land. We weren't signing anyone else if we didn't sign Ronaldo. We were rolling as we were and he became available. There's no point saying ah we'd have better if we signed x y z. We weren't signing anyone, it's a pointless discussion
How is it pointless. The club should have been adding more, including midfield. Vlahovic is just an example and a very obvious one at that being Juve replaced Ronaldo with him.

And my feet are and were firmly on the ground. It was the club and fans living in fantasy land re-signing a 37 year old and painting him as some sort of savior.

In the real world we didn't have £70m to spend last summer, and if we did it probably would have been spent on a midfielder.

This is a pretty ludicrous position to be honest, rather than signing Ronaldo why didn't we spend £70m on a different player.

In the same vein, inside of signing Sancho we would have just got mbappe,
We spent £20m and massive wages on Ronaldo. In the real world. So suffice to say your position is pretty ludicrous. And the Mbappe comment is just straw man stupidity.

Whether it was Vlahovic or Rice or whoever we would’ve been better served than blowing it on a 37 year old retread.

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Other than PSG or Sporting, not really sure where else he can go other than a commercial move somewhere but you get the feeling Ronnie is so obsessed with personal stats, champions league goals that his ego won't let him take the easier route.
He's not going to PSG. Our fans booed Messi during the last game to protest against the owner getting old legends, if they decide to get a close to finished Ronaldo they'll be rioting.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona

Hit the nail on the head

The United

He will deliver some moments of brilliance, as last weekend, but still believe he was the wrong signing. He doesnt help the team, and when he is poor or marked out of game like last night he offers nothing. Too slow when he drifts out wide. Huge waste of money, unsettles dressing room. Need to go in summer so we can focus on a proper rebuild.
This is a bit of amusing that people keep repeating that based on rumors and 'reports'. But on the other hand, most players, even Martial, denied this.

Last edited:

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He's not going to PSG. Our fans booed Messi during the last game to protest against the owner getting old legends, if they decide to get a close to finished Ronaldo they'll be rioting.
Why is PSG obsessed with old players past their peak : Ramos, Messi, Buffon, Zlatan, Beckham, etc

I reckon they might go for Salah,Benzema or Lewandowski once they have no legs and can barely run.

Are they trying to create a brand or something like that? So that they become more recognizable as football club?

Also there is barely any french player in PSG first squad(only Mbappé), good academy but they barely use it

jm99

He would’ve added much more to our play both on and off the ball so would need to have been quite poor in front of goal to be any worse overall. Never mind the fact that he would be doing it next year and the next for us as well.

How is it pointless. The club should have been adding more, including midfield. Vlahovic is just an example and a very obvious one at that being Juve replaced Ronaldo with him.

And my feet are and were firmly on the ground. It was the club and fans living in fantasy land re-signing a 37 year old and painting him as some sort of savior.

We spent £20m and massive wages on Ronaldo. In the real world. So suffice to say your position is pretty ludicrous. And the Mbappe comment is just straw man stupidity.

Whether it was Vlahovic or Rice or whoever we would’ve been better served than blowing it on a 37 year old retread.
We pay big wages for everyone, we have rashford on what 250,000 a week, de gea on 400,000. If we signed vlahovic we'd have needed close to £80m in transfer fee that we clearly didn't have (or more accurately the glazers didn't allocate to a transfer budget) as well as likely wages of 250,000-300,000. Given that we'd get a decent bump in sponsorship from having one of the most marketable footballers on the planet in our team, that may well have been factored in to the Ronaldo signing.

Regardless it's obvious we didn't have £70-80m (or £100m for Rice) in addition to their wages and a £15m transfer fee plus Ronaldo's wages was more manageable. We could upgrade on every single player in out team basically if we had this unlimited budget you seem to imagine but clearly Ronaldo wasn't bought instead of someone, he was a last minute purchase that is somewhat balanced out by his marketability, that was made in a summer where our business was concluded and our budget had been spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.