5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven-UK

I'm not feeling him back in the first team.

He is one of my favourite players and my GOAT.

However the guy is 36 and you can't tell me that it doesn't show? He is only a poacher now.

He was suddenly available so was suddenly bought.

Our RW to this season was going to be Sancho. Our RW to nearly every match.

Our ST was going to be Greenwood. Likewise.

It has all changed to fit in a 36 year old.

As great as he is - he is old.

I think people need to realise the dribbling and shoot Ronaldo is gone, the only one who is left is a pure poacher. And a 36 year old poacher is not going to get in to the game.
And suddenly he scored 4 goals in and 3 games, and suddenly became our best player by a country mile at 36 years old...

This performance was nothing to do with Ronaldo, it's the pure mediocrity around him.... plus OGS, and you have another recipe for an average season.

Hughie77

Isolated today v Villa should have had another closer to him . Villa closed all the space in front of goal by 3 CBs the 2 wing backs were up and down like ferrets in a drain pipe. We were like Chelsea were limited to long shots etc only time we got around them was Greenwood and he should have passed it to Bruno. Ronny was coming deeper to get into the game a Villa were doing there job. Should have brought Cavani on played 2 up took Mctom or Fred off put Pogba in there it was 1 sub. Ronny has to have the service further up the pitch. Otherwise he can become an ornament. His qualities need to be used correctly.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
The Leeds match showed the potential that Greenwood has in the number 9 position but I agree with you that he's not ready to play there full time. That is why Cavani was perfect last season for the role of coming in and out of the team with little fuss. The Ronaldo signing will massively reduce Greenwood centre forward opportunities given Ronaldo will want to start all PL games as CF as he chases goal scoring records. The problem is the knock-on effect that Ronaldo has on the team. Greenwood will have to play on the right and the guy (Sancho) we signed for the right wing will have to play on the left, but then where does Rashford play? Where and when does Cavani play?

The Ronaldo signing was a panic signing because he was about to go to City. We were never planning for Ronaldo and If we really wanted him we would have signed him months earlier. Now we are left with two forwards in their mid to late 30's in the most intense league in the world. A stupid signing that has unbalanced the squad.
Pure myth. Sancho's best performances for Dortmund were on the left, so he's actually playing in his best position. The problem Sancho is having is that he excels in and is used to systematic structures, something which is severley lacking here.

I don't understand this reasoning. Have we not seen Ronaldo save us from some dodgy results already? Yet he's the reason we're playing dire, even though all of our problems existed before he was here too? It doesn't actually make any sense.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
And suddenly he scored 4 goals in and 3 games, and suddenly became our best player by a country mile at 36 years old...

This performance was nothing to do with Ronaldo, it's the pure mediocrity around him.... plus OGS, and you have another recipe for an average season.
Our performances have been the same though with crosses coming from everywhere like they never used to back when we played with Rashford, Cavani and Greenwood. It's changed the way we play. The way we play is so different that we cannot open up and hammer a single team .
Every first half is nearly 0-0.

Ronaldo is scoring but it has effected how we play - right out of the blue on a quick random transfer.

He can barely make a run behind a defender anymore - everything is very Poacher based.

Erics_Collar

Our performances have been the same though with crosses coming from everywhere like they never used to back when we played with Rashford, Cavani and Greenwood. It's changed the way we play. The way we play is so different that we cannot open up and hammer a single team .

Ronaldo is scoring but it has effected how we play - right out of the blue on a quick random transfer.

He can barely make a run behind a defender anymore - everything is very Poacher based.

Ah here, it's not as if we were a bloody behemoth crushing all in front us beforehand...

Lucky *7*

Sorry but I'm furious Ronaldo is not the main-man taking the penalties as the in-form striker. I'm done with Ole as you know he won't change and put Ronaldo on penalties! If we scored that penalty there was 4 minutes left to get the winner.. possible!

The team don't play to Ronaldo's strengths which is crosses not one headed chance since we signed we don't get the all in the box with first-time crosses short corners etc! We all know what Ronaldo is now.. we knew before we signed him. City knew that and wanted him.. City would've suited him more I think. And he would take the penalties!

You don't bring Ronaldo back to be a sidekick. He needs to be the main man! Can't see him being here next season if he isn't the main man.. someone like Ronaldo can go where he wants, and be the main man instantly.

it's almost like Greenwood didn't want to pass today. I hope he's getting digged out in the dressing room after the game. I know he's 19 but if he's not good enough he shouldn't be starting simple. We want to be champions and should have standards.

Ronaldo didn't have 1 chance against Aston Villa today inside Villas box.. you can't blame him but the media will. He must be regretting coming back.. honestly I can see him leaving next summer if things don't improve. The team and coaching are not matching his standards.

Bebestation

Ah here, it's not as if we were a bloody behemoth crushing all in front us beforehand...
We did do better last season but if you don't belive that- let's check the only game we played our first team and no Ronaldo this season. Check the Leeds game vs us. No Ronaldo.

People said that was because Leeds actually had a go with us.

People will pretend that Aston Villa didn't have a go vs US today (when they did) and we had plenty of times if we had the right players at the right place playing the right football at the right time that we could have done better.

El Jefe

Pirlo and Ole in back to back seasons, after the great managers he's played under he must be cursing his luck.

I can't believe he didn't give Greenwood a stern talking to after his selfish football today, Cavani gave him an earful a few times last season and it wasn't even in English. I did like how he gestured to Bruno to calm down after typically giving away possession when we were struggling to keep hold of the ball. Fore too long Bruno has been allowed to do what he likes unchecked.

Ralph1386

Pirlo and Ole in back to back seasons, after the great managers he's played under he must be cursing his luck.
You're right, but at least he's won it all. We have players like Bruno who are having their primes wasted.

UnitedFan93

Pure myth. Sancho's best performances for Dortmund were on the left, so he's actually playing in his best position. The problem Sancho is having is that he excels in and is used to systematic structures, something which is severley lacking here.

I don't understand this reasoning. Have we not seen Ronaldo save us from some dodgy results already? Yet he's the reason we're playing dire, even though all of our problems existed before he was here too? It doesn't actually make any sense.
He was signed for the right wing, so why don't we play him there? Couldn't care less where he played in Dortmund; different league, different team, different tactics, different opposition. It was obvious that he was bought for the right-wing since we are already heavily stacked on the left wing. He was signed for the right wing, with Greenwood being mentored under Cavani as a CF. That was clearly Ole's plan, however, the Ronaldo signing has complicated matters and thrown the plan out of the window.

Ronaldo is a 36 (soon 37) year old passenger waiting for tap ins. Passengers do not survive in a Guardiola/Klopp PL where hard work and pressing is demanded off everyone. Yes he has scored a few goals but the collective performance of the team is diabolical. There is only so many times the team can perform badly and get away with it with a Ronaldo tap in. We are starting to get found out. Goal scoring wasn't an issue last season, it was defending. Despite signing Varane, we still look exposed because a) we ignored signing a proper holding midfielder and went for a vanity signing instead and b) the team doesn't press up front because of Ronaldo.

My last remaining post available for me to post today so hope that clears things up.

Jibbs

It is just sad that we are letting a definite 25 plus goalscoring striker go to waste by not having any plan B to provide him service. Absolute failure of management today. Also criminal to not let him take the penalty. This is what you get by not letting Ronaldo take penalties.

Sviken

Don't know how long he'd be willing to put up with this shit. Giving the penalties to Bruno is stupid, especially after giving him the free kicks, as well. Ronaldo isn't gonna play a second fiddle to anyone, everyone should have known that the moment he was brought. At this rate it wouldn't surprise me if Ole loses the dressing room by Christmas.

Ronaldo is a 36 (soon 37) year old passenger waiting for tap ins. Passengers do not survive in a Guardiola/Klopp PL where hard work and pressing is demanded off everyone. Yes he has scored a few goals but the collective performance of the team is diabolical. There is only so many times the team can perform badly and get away with it with a Ronaldo tap in. We are starting to get found out. Goal scoring wasn't an issue last season, it was defending. Despite signing Varane, we still look exposed because a) we ignored signing a proper holding midfielder and went for a vanity signing instead and b) the team doesn't press up front because of Ronaldo.
This doesn't make any sense. Guardiola wanted him and Klopp said he was jealous. Both of those would bite our hands for having the chance to have Ronaldo in their team. The reality is - he doesn't have any service from this team. No clear cut chances to score from. Nothing. You think Lewandowski or Haaland or whoever are gonna fare any better in this team? It'd still rely on individual brilliance because our team has no real pattern of play. In fact, name me a world striker up front who is a "pressing" machine. There are none, because strikers are expected to score and be in the front of an attack, not dally around in midfield.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well we are not providing him with services today with our disjointed midfield, which is quite common given that's what he has experienced a lot at Juventus anyway over past 3 seasons. But we are not even letting him take penalty! Now thats something very new, which has never happened to him before. It just doesn't makes any sense at all, he won games with penalties probably more than anyone else in history, you just have to let him take penalties when he is on the pitch, every manager and his dogs knows that, except Ole.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He was signed for the right wing, so why don't we play him there? Couldn't care less where he played in Dortmund; different league, different team, different tactics, different opposition. It was obvious that he was bought for the right-wing since we are already heavily stacked on the left wing. He was signed for the right wing, with Greenwood being mentored under Cavani as a CF. That was clearly Ole's plan, however, the Ronaldo signing has complicated matters and thrown the plan out of the window.

My last remaining post available for me to post today so hope that clears things up.
Sorry to break it to you but a) Ronaldo never stopped us from going for a holding mid, we never planned for one, our business was done before Ronaldo became available, b) we have never pressed up front under Ole even before Ronaldo, Bruno pressing like a headless chicken on his own does not count.

Now Greenwood is also mentored by the goat, and Cavani, win win no?

Why are you in the Ronaldo thread saying these things? Shouldn't you be in the ''We are awfully coached thread''?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Here we go, already more Ronaldo fans than United fans in this thread.

el3mel

Here we go, already more Ronaldo fans than United fans in this thread.
There's nothing to blame Ronaldo for today. He didn't even get a single good pass never mind a chance. It's our problem for not utilizing him.

Bole Top

Giving the penalties to Bruno is stupid, especially after giving him the free kicks, as well.
it would actually be equally stupid to simply take them from Bruno who has been United's most important player ever since he arrived. he earned the right to take both penalties and free kicks.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
There's nothing to blame Ronaldo for today. He didn't even get a single good pass never mind a chance. It's our problem for not utilizing him.
I don't think anyone is blaming him, is it? Maybe one or two posters at best.

Bobski

He's a tactical headache.
Limited pressing, which is to be expected at 36, the problem at Utd is we also have Greenwood and Sancho who are non-pressing with Pogba and a roaming Bruno in midfield which creates all sort of structural problems. Rashford being back will help in this regard and it is a pity than Cavani is not a few years younger, but our defensive issues start from the front.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Was liked playing with 10 men. He did absolutely nothing. Greenwood the only one of the front to give some quality in the buildup is getting criticised which is funny. Needs to be more involved. He's mostly a goalscorer these days but we need out CF to link up well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
When our players do nothing they do deserve blame.

But our manager is the much bigger issue. A top class manager would get the collective working much better. That obviously doesn't mean Bruno or Ronaldo can't be criticises for having a piss poor game when they do.

RepardReece

Giving the penalties to Bruno is stupid, especially after giving him the free kicks, as well.
Bruno literally has a better conversion rate with penalties (and more free kicks scored in recent years, too). You'd have probably complained why Bruno wasn't left on penalties if Ronaldo missed instead today too.

Bebestation

Was liked playing with 10 men. He did absolutely nothing. Greenwood the only one of the front to give some quality in the buildup is getting criticised which is funny. Needs to be more involved. He's mostly a goalscorer these days but we need out CF to link up well.
Exactly.

People just don't get out of their love for Ronaldo (I love him) and see that out side of him Poaching his goals- he adds absolutely nothing to this teams currently

Hardly any passes, any runs in behind the defenders, hardly holds up up ball and brings anyone in to the game, any dribbles that are significant enough to open up the defence.

Absolutely nothing.

Greenwood was a better striker but played from RW today. That showed everything today.

bakalhau

To the poster above, ironically it was Ronaldo in the 2nd Half that setup one of United's best chances (Pogba's shot that went a bit too high), and he also set Greenwood free on the right a few minutes later with a first touch over the air through ball, with his back turned to goal too.

The part about not running at the defenders is funny just because not even 3 games ago he gave you the match winner doing exactly that.

We don't need to exaggerate him upwards, but all it takes is one game and so many people just come here and exaggerate downward too. Just let the man do his thing.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Limited pressing, which is to be expected at 36, the problem at Utd is we also have Greenwood and Sancho who are non-pressing with Pogba and a roaming Bruno in midfield which creates all sort of structural problems. Rashford being back will help in this regard and it is a pity than Cavani is not a few years younger, but our defensive issues start from the front.
Villa worked (pressed) much harder and better than us. If we match them for that and set the same traps then we win. I really feel our lack of press and aggression in a huge flaw in our makeup. Especially against a back 3 sitting in. They get set and we’ve to throw the kitchen sink at it and we are wide open to get suckered. We need to press like hell. Get the first goal and draw the oppo out. It’s a mentality thing as much as anything.

Sviken

Exactly.

People just don't get out of their love for Ronaldo (I love him) and see that out side of him Poaching his goals- he adds absolutely nothing to this teams currently

Hardly any passes, any runs in behind the defenders, hardly holds up up ball and brings anyone in to the game, any dribbles that are significant enough to open up the defence.

Absolutely nothing.

Greenwood was a better striker but played from RW today. That showed everything today.
If you put Ronaldo in City's team today, he'd have banged 3 in. The reality is you can't expect Ronaldo to do everything on his own. Same way Messi looks absolutely clueless in that PSG side. It's not the players, it's the manager and tactics that are wrong. You can put Lewandowski in our team and you'd say the same shit about him. Which striker would make us a "better" team? Which striker would perform better? You can't name one because such a beast does not exist. As good as Ronaldo and Messi and whoever are, it's a team game. 2007/2008 Ronaldo wouldn't be able to do shit with this side except a bunch of step overs because we have zero link-up play, zero passing, zero build-up, zero movement and zero cohesion.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Exactly.

Absolutely nothing.

Nonsense, for large parts of that match we struggled massively and he still pressed for us. Made runs, got on the ball. Seems like you’ve been waiting for a match like this to slag him off.

KeanoMagicHat

If you put Ronaldo in City's team today, he'd have banged 3 in. The reality is you can't expect Ronaldo to do everything on his own. Same way Messi looks absolutely clueless in that PSG side. It's not the players, it's the manager and tactics that are wrong. You can put Lewandowski in our team and you'd say the same shit about him. Which striker would make us a "better" team? Which striker would perform better? You can't name one because such a beast does not exist. As good as Ronaldo and Messi and whoever are, it's a team game. 2007/2008 Ronaldo wouldn't be able to do shit with this side except a bunch of step overs because we have zero link-up play, zero passing, zero build-up, zero movement and zero cohesion.
Messi has only played 190 minutes for PSG yet and anyway they’ve won every Ligue 1 game they’ve played this season? What you’re saying seems based on one game in the CL that they’re a shambles.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's a tactical headache.
He is. We could maybe carry one player with zero defensive work rate but not in addition to Pogba, Sancho and Greenwood. Rashford isn't much better either. All with a 2 man midfield that isn't exactly watertight.

No service is a fair excuse, but we've seen the likes of Cavani, Martial and Greenwood criticised for looking equally invisible when playing at 9 so he should be no different.

Bebestation

Nonsense, for large parts of that match we struggled massively and he still pressed for us. Made runs, got on the ball. Seems like you’ve been waiting for a match like this to slag him off.
Nonsense.

Read the Messi vs Ronaldo thread to how much I love Ronaldo.

However, if you think 36 year old Ronaldo's passes and hold up play is better than Cavani's last year then fine. If you think Greenwood's dribbles, run in behinds, would be worse than 36 year old Ronaldo up front then fine. 36 year old Ronaldo is better at poaching and headering - possibly why the whole team has started to cross most of the game like they never used to as much last season.

Dec9003

Nonsense.

Read the Messi vs Ronaldo thread to how much I love Ronaldo.

However, if you think 36 year old Ronaldo's passes and hold up play is better than Cavani's last year then fine. If you think Greenwood's dribbles, run in behinds, would be worse than 36 year old Ronaldo up front then fine. 36 year old Ronaldo is better at poaching and headering - possibly why the whole team has started to cross most of the game like they never used to as much last season.
You can love Ronaldo, but it seems you love your agenda more. He isn’t as good at Cavani at pressing and holding the ball up, but he clearly brings more to our team than Cavani, he’s a better player. Like I said, saying he brings nothing but goals is just stupid.

Bebestation

You can love Ronaldo, but it seems you love your agenda more. He isn’t as good at Cavani at pressing and holding the ball up, but he clearly brings more to our team than Cavani, he’s a better player. Like I said, saying he brings nothing but goals is just stupid.
What makes you think I have an agenda against him?

You yourself said that Cavani is better at certain things towards a team game play. Ronaldo is a better player - but you have to realise that he is 36.

We don't get to see those bits as much. How many non poacher like shots straight in to an opposition foot for exampls?

Anyway, I don't have an agenda against him.

As others have said - he is a tactical head ache. A 36 year old player that is suddenly a must starter. It has its greats as well has some things causing a headache.

Dec9003

What makes you think I have an agenda against him?

You yourself said that Cavani is better at certain things towards a team game play. Ronaldo is a better player - but you have to realise that he is 36.

We don't get to see those bits as much. How many non poacher like shots straight in to an opposition foot for exampls?

Anyway, I don't have an agenda against him.

As others have said - he is a tactical head ache. A 36 year old player that is suddenly a must starter. It has its greats as well has some things causing a headache.
You keep saying he’s a 36 year old like Cavani isn’t 34 with a worse injury record, though. Ronaldo isn’t a tactical headache at all. He’s easy to manage, put him upfront and supply him and he’ll score goals. He contributes much more in the build up than you’re giving him credit for.

Bebestation

You keep saying he’s a 36 year old like Cavani isn’t 34 with a worse injury record, though. Ronaldo isn’t a tactical headache at all. He’s easy to manage, put him upfront and supply him and he’ll score goals. He contributes much more in the build up than you’re giving him credit for.
But before this season Bruno Fernandes scored goals, Greenwood scored goals, Cavani would, Rashford pre Injury would. Absolutely no one is now except Ronaldo.

They wouldn't " need to just be put upfront and supply him" and score goals because they would much more interlink better because as you said yourself- they held the ball up better or pressed better or whatever would benefit the team.

Anyway, I'm done here. I'm not convincing you along as Ronaldo puts the ball in the net - he has a good game. Too bad he didn't today.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
But before this season Bruno Fernandes scored goals, Greenwood scored goals, Cavani would, Rashford pre Injury would. Absolutely no one is now except Ronaldo.

They wouldn't " need to just be put upfront and supply him" and score goals because they would much more interlink better because as you said yourself- they held the ball up better or pressed better or whatever would benefit the team.

Anyway, I'm done here. I'm not convincing you along as Ronaldo puts the ball in the net - he has a good game. Too bad he didn't today.
I was saying that before we signed him. With Juve and Portugal the last few years more often than not if you stop Ronaldo you stop his team from winning. There’s no plan B. It seemed to be a bit of a strange basket to put all our eggs into with an old but effective striker already here and our already obvious problems with the press and a lack of aggression pre Cavani. I’ve enjoyed Ronaldo so far but today was what I was trying to talk about in other threads. Greenwood and Pogba look like they don’t know how to play with him. Hopefully we figure it out ASAP.

Dec9003

Hang on, I said Cavani is better at holding the ball up and pressing, I didn't say the whole team are, don't put words in my mouth. Since Ronaldo has signed, he, Fernandes, Lingard have all scored, so it certainly isn't just him scoring, to say absolutely nobody but Ronaldo is scoring simply isn't true. Ronaldo interlinks as well as the rest of our forwards, often today he found himself moving left so Greenwood can go up top, you're not going to convince me because what you're saying about him is lazy and much of it is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.