5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYorkRed

Looks like he is staying and wants to talk to ETH and leave on a positive note. Kind of makes sense, he’s not the type to leave on a negative note. At the very least he’ll try to win a trophy (whichever it may be) with us next year and then leave.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He literally left after referring to himself as a slave.
But he clearly did leave on very bad terms, that he brought about himself. So he undoubtedly is the kind of person to leave on bad terms.
You are clearly not a young fan and remember those seasons, so how did you come to this conclusion?

Ronaldo agreed to stay for one more season on SAF request. Both parties agreed to it. He wanted to go to Madrid and he conducted himself extremely professionally with SAF.

Remember, this is SAF we're talking about. The guy has had so many issues with so many players. Rooney didn't even leave but thought about it and I think SAF is still not over it. It is telling that to this day he respects Ronaldo and the way he communicated his desire to leave.

Not only that, fans were singing his name the seasons he left.

dubplate warrior

You are clearly not a young fan and remember those seasons, so how did you come to this conclusion?

Ronaldo agreed to stay for one more season on SAF request. Both parties agreed to it. He wanted to go to Madrid and he conducted himself extremely professionally with SAF.

Remember, this is SAF we're talking about. The guy has had so many issues with so many players. Rooney didn't even leave but thought about it and I think SAF is still not over it. It is telling that to this day he respects Ronaldo and the way he communicated his desire to leave.

This, we literally sang his name non stop until his last games for the club.

phelans shorts

If you think he was unanimously adored in that last year then oh boy, I can be certain you weren’t in the grounds. Lots of United fans didn’t forgive him the summer of 2008, and lots still don’t forgive him for the summer of 2008, sure some cooled off in the mean time, but far from all

Alex Ferguson can forgive whoever he wants for whatever he wants, fans are free to do exactly the same thing. Any person who said what he did, and acted the way he did, clearly has no issue leaving on poor terms.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Can you give us the slave quote?
Cristiano Ronaldo's desire to join Real Madrid appeared stronger than ever last night after a television interview in which he reiterated he had not changed his mind about wanting to leave Manchester United and agreed with the Fifa president Sepp Blatter's criticism about the way the European Cup winners had handled the situation. Blatter had urged United to allow the player to leave and, more controversially, complained that there was "too much modern slavery" in the sport.

Blatter, an honorary member of Real Madrid with close ties to the club's president, Ramón Calderón, had described himself as "very much in sympathy" with Ronaldo and urged United to allow him to leave, suggesting it was otherwise tantamount to slavery. "I agree with what he said," said Ronaldo, when that last point was put to him. "It's true. I agree with what the president of Fifa said. I know what I want and what I would like. We have to see what happens. I do not know where I will begin next season."

Ronaldo was subsequently asked whether that meant he still wanted to move to Madrid. "At the moment I can't say any more," he replied. "But you know what I said [at the end of Euro 2008] and what I want." He was asked when it would be sorted out. "I hope very soon."

Blatter's comments had been widely condemned, with United saying there were "taken aback" by his choice of words and the Professional Footballers' Association calling for a retraction. Ronaldo, who earns more than £100,000 a week on a contract signed last year, seemed oblivious to the reaction at Old Trafford. "What the president of Fifa said is correct," he said when pressed further. "He is right."

NewYorkRed

He literally left after referring to himself as a slave.
I meant from a sporting perspective. We made the CL final that year and won the league. Cristiano is about himself we all know that; coming to United then having their worst season ever- leaving on the back of that is a personal failure for him. That’s what I meant.

troylocker

Ronaldo has been decent or even really good in some matches since the Spurs hattrick, but how he wins this reward is beyond reason though.

I mean 3 goals to secure a narrow win against Norwich is good, but 2 losses (Everton and Arsenal) and a draw against Chelsea in the matches he played. Our whole team played crap throughout April.

Jesus scored 6 and assisted 1 in 297 minutes of PL play in April - being instrumental in their 5 wins and scoring an important goal in the very important draw against Liverpool. There's probably 10 Liverpool and City players that deserved that award just as much as Ronny, but personally I'd give it to Eriksen for the way he has made one of the most incredible comebacks in football and transformed that Brentford team completely - They won 3 (including away against Chelsea, home against West Ham and away against Watford), drew 1(against Spurs) and lost to no one in April with Eriksen totally bossing it in all 4 games. Hats off!

NewYorkRed

Ronaldo has been decent or even really good in some matches since the Spurs hattrick, but how he wins this reward is beyond reason though.

I mean 3 goals to secure a narrow win against Norwich is good, but 2 losses (Everton and Arsenal) and a draw against Chelsea in the matches he played. Our whole team played crap throughout April.

Jesus scored 6 and assisted 1 in 297 minutes of PL play in April - being instrumental in their 5 wins and scoring an important goal in the very important draw against Liverpool. There's probably 10 Liverpool and City players that deserved that award just as much as Ronny, but personally I'd give it to Eriksen for the way he has made one of the most incredible comebacks in football and transformed that Brentford team completely - They won 3 (including away against Chelsea, home against West Ham and away against Watford), drew 1(against Spurs) and lost to no one in April with Eriksen totally bossing it in all 4 games. Hats off!
Hats off !!!!! Go post that on a liverpool/mancity forum or on the Eriksen thread.

The salt is strong in this one fellas.

troylocker

Hats off !!!!! Go post that on a liverpool/mancity forum or on the Eriksen thread.

The salt is strong in this one fellas.
Ok? I'm a United Supporter and have been for 40+ years. I simply disagree with EA sports on Ronaldo being the best player in the prem last month, even though he had a good month individually for a team that won a grand total of 5 points in 6 games.... There were plenty of players out there that were better and instrumental to their team's success last month.

I don't think it makes me any less of a United supporter to take my hat off for a player that literally died on the pitch less than 11 months ago and comes back and performs like he's doing now against all odds, even if it's for Brentford. I respect the performances of plenty non United players without feeling the slightest touch guilt.....Imagine that.

I love Manchester United and I want us to be the best we can be.
I don't think it makes me any less of a United supporter that I think Ronaldo has been a net negative for us this season and I wish we didn't sign him back on deadline day. I don't think it's possible to play with high press or gegenpress with a striker like him and that makes it impossible to play dominant, fluid football in general in todays football. The other teams in the PL and CL are simply too good for us to be playing with 10,5 men without the ball.
I think he's still a good goalscorer though, just not the one we need.

I'm in general very critical to us buying any 32+ year olds, even for back up. It's shortsighted....

NewYorkRed

Ok? I'm a United Supporter and have been for 40+ years. I simply disagree with EA sports on Ronaldo being the best player in the prem last month, even though he had a good month individually for a team that won a grand total of 5 points in 6 games.... There were plenty of players out there that were better and instrumental to their team's success last month.

I don't think it makes me any less of a United supporter to take my hat off for a player that literally died on the pitch less than 11 months ago and comes back and performs like he's doing now against all odds, even if it's for Brentford. I respect the performances of plenty non United players without feeling the slightest touch guilt.....Imagine that.

I don't think it makes me any less of a United supporter that I think Ronaldo has been a net negative for us this season and I wish we didn't sign him back on deadline day. I don't think it's possible to play with high press or gegenpress with a striker like him and that makes it impossible to play dominant, fluid football in general in todays football. The other teams in the PL and CL are simply too good for us to be playing with 10,5 men without the ball.

I'm in general very critical to us buying any 32+ year olds, even for back up. It's shortsighted....
Dude no one has the time to read all that, all you had to say was “I’m a United fan who has an agenda against Ronaldo” and that would’ve saved everyone time.

Also, spare me your nonsense about “i have empathy for a player that died 11 months ago” do that in the Erikson thread and we’re all onboard. You’re choosing to do it here because literally 80+% of your posts are about Ronaldo.

RepardReece

Dude no one has the time to read all that, all you had to say was “I’m a United fan who has an agenda against Ronaldo” and that would’ve saved everyone time.

Also, spare me your nonsense about “i have empathy for a player that died 11 months ago” do that in the Erikson thread and we’re all onboard. You’re choosing to do it here because literally 80+% of your posts are about Ronaldo.
:lol: I read one line of his nonsense, saw who the poster was, and moved on.
He was by far the best player on the pitch for us in April, so deserves it imo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Well I don't have an agenda against Ronaldo either, being one of the main guys pro Ronaldo vs Messi in that forum.

But I agree with @troylocker

He is a net negative for me when viewing the whole team and how it plays trying to utelise our "new shiny toy?" Vs the stuff we used last year.

Ultimately there is people who view football in different ways.

Some people see Ronaldo scoring goal after goal and they simply can't believe how such a player can be talked down upon.

Then there is other people who believe that football is more complicated than that, more complex than just a player scoring all the goals for a team and him being outside of any faults or causes of why we play the way we do.

The other great player this season is De Gea. Some people think he has done his job and is the best player we had this season - whilst some don't think it's as simple as that.

Anyway, no hurting of Ronaldo or the people who are a bit protective over him at times.

I will say though that he probably does deserve a player of the month because he had a good month of performances.

The United

The slavery quote was weird as feck coming from Blatter on the issue and Ronaldo agreeing to it though I doubt he meant it as in the most devastating meaning of it.

Loyalty can go both ways. It is hard to take it seriously at this moment with many United fans wanting to get rid of more than half of the squad and abuse them at any chance.

I am not too concerned about whether Ronaldo will stay or will be managed for game time. For some reason, I have a feeling that the club will fail to sign a decent forward and we will have to use Ronaldo as the main striker at 38.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
If you think he was unanimously adored in that last year then oh boy, I can be certain you weren’t in the grounds. Lots of United fans didn’t forgive him the summer of 2008, and lots still don’t forgive him for the summer of 2008, sure some cooled off in the mean time, but far from all

Alex Ferguson can forgive whoever he wants for whatever he wants, fans are free to do exactly the same thing. Any person who said what he did, and acted the way he did, clearly has no issue leaving on poor terms.
"The grounds" are a very small minority of man united supporters. 95% of the fanbase did not see him as a traitor.

Rooney on the other hand, I dont think he did anything wrong, but there was a major uproar from the fans.

You're being disingenuous if you think he left on bad terms. Maybe you personally didn't like him for whatever he did but that was t the general consensus. It's the "grounds" that have been signing his name even when he was gone.

It came to the point on his return in 2012 some were worried we aren't gonna boo him and will look embarassing.

Irwin99

I remember we went through a tough patch early at the start of the 08-09 season without him and we were drawing 0-0 against Villarreal and he came on the pitch and lifted the mood of the crowd instantly, even though people were angry at him. It was impossible to stay completely mad at him; although he was petulant at times that season he also did things no other player could do (the goal against Porto, and the performance against Arsenal).

Marwood

I did not say it was weird that someone prefer that we do not sign him. I said it was weird how you, and several others of the same opinion, express it. And you did it again.
After Sepp Blatter referred to us refusing to accept Madrid’s offer as “modern slavery” his quote was "It's true. I agree with what the president of Fifa said."
I always thought too much was made of that.

Blatter said the slave thing in amongst a bunch of other stuff about players being allowed to move when they want to.

Ronaldo was asked about Blatter's comments and agreed.

Was he agreeing to everything Blatter said? De he even see everything Blatter said?

I don't know, I doubt it, but its been reframed over the years as Ronaldo outright saying he's a slave.

Either way he was 24. I'd hope folk have moved on from it.

Marwood

Well I don't have an agenda against Ronaldo either, being one of the main guys pro Ronaldo vs Messi in that forum.

He is a net negative for me when viewing the whole team and how it plays trying to utelise our "new shiny toy?" Vs the stuff we used last year.

Some people see Ronaldo scoring goal after goal and they simply can't believe how such a player can be talked down upon.

Then there is other people who believe that football is more complicated than that, more complex than just a player scoring all the goals for a team and him being outside of any faults or causes of why we play the way we do.

The other great player this season is De Gea. Some people think he has done his job and is the best player we had this season - whilst some don't think it's as simple as that.

Anyway, no hurting of Ronaldo or the people who are a bit protective over him at times.

I will say though that he probably does deserve a player of the month because he had a good month of performances.
Who could have played up front this season and given us a net positive contribution?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Why can’t you just accept that opinion from “neutral” could sometimes be different from the opinion of “bias critics”. Not everyone would have to agree on the same thing, so sometimes its better to just move on instead of complaining.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Actually you have been preaching this all season long in this thread, regardless of his performance. And the thing is, we have lots of others big issues in our team this season, yet your biggest focus/negativity is always on Ronaldo, so you can’t really say you don’t have an agenda here.

phelans shorts

Actually you have been preaching this all season long in this thread, regardless of his performance. And the thing is, we have lots of others big issues in our team this season, yet your biggest focus/negativity is always on Ronaldo, so you can’t really say you don’t have an agenda here.
To be fair, I’m not really sure “redronaldo” can claim not to have an agenda, either

This line of thinking utterly baffles me.

We had no discernible system all season, when we pressed under Ragnick’s failed attempt, Ronaldo was bizarrely one of the better ones at it. When we rarely counter attacked, Ronaldo thrived, when we did nothing, Ronaldo scored.
When we played without Ronaldo, we were absolutely miles worse, no matter how we “tried” to play.

So how did we try to utilise our shiny new toy? And how did that have a net negative? I saw absolutely no attempt to utilise anything, except De Gea, we certainly tried to utilise him.

If anything, the club and Ronaldo would have done better with Ole kick and rush ball.

troylocker

Why can’t you just accept that opinion from “neutral” could sometimes be different from the opinion of “bias critics”. Not everyone would have to agree on the same thing, so sometimes its better to just move on instead of complaining.
I'm 100% on board on this

Bebestation

But again -

If Ronaldo hid the ability off players like Benzema and Rooney when he was a LW and in his prime -

Why do you think that's not happening when Ronaldo is our central striker?

That doesn't mean that Ronaldo can't score - the same way he always scored as a LW. Players played differently when playing next to him didn't it?

That is all that I see now but extrapolated since he became a central striker.

You believe that it happened when Ronaldo played next to Benzema and Rooney but don't believe it happens when he is older, not in his prime, nor playing alongside any sort of player that is anywhere near on the same level as Benzema or Rooney at United.

If Ronaldo hid or took some of the individualistic ability off Benzema or Rooney - why couldnt it happen to a less quality player in Bruno?

The thing is - I see it and I believe it. Even if he scores; great; consistent; great; Ronaldo played well but how he plays doesn't get the best ability out of the team he plays for.

He can score 30 goals next season - but I will still feel the same watching Sancho, Bruno, Antony or whoever the new players that we sign struggling to play to their best level whilst one player like Ronaldo absolutely kills as a top scorer for another season.

Anyway mate, I can't convince you and you can't convince me.

If this was about Ronaldo being a shit player then that would be wrong because I do not think he is shit -

He is an amazing player and to me he is the GOAT - but ultimately you believe Ronaldo gets the best out of his team mates abilities whilst I do not.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
But again -

If Ronaldo hid the ability off players like Benzema and Rooney when he was a LW and in his prime -

Why do you think that's not happening when Ronaldo is our central striker?

That doesn't mean that Ronaldo can't score - the same way he always scored as a LW. Players played differently when playing next to him didn't it?

That is all that I see now but extrapolated since he became a central striker.

You believe that it happened when Ronaldo played next to Benzema and Rooney but don't believe it happens when he is older, not in his prime, nor playing alongside any sort of player that is anywhere near on the same level as Benzema or Rooney at United.

If Ronaldo hid or took some of the individualistic ability off Benzema or Rooney - why couldnt it happen to a less quality player in Bruno?

The thing is - I see it and I believe it. Even if he scores; great; consistent; great; Ronaldo played well but how he plays doesn't get the best ability out of the team he plays for.

He can score 30 goals next season - but I will still feel the same watching Sancho, Bruno, Antony or whoever the new players that we sign struggling to play to their best level whilst one player like Ronaldo absolutely kills as a top scorer for another season.

Anyway mate, I can't convince you and you can't convince me.

If this was about Ronaldo being a shit player then that would be wrong because I do not think he is shit -

He is an amazing player and to me he is the GOAT - but ultimately you believe Ronaldo gets the best out of his team mates abilities whilst I do not.
Well I simply think it’s not about whether Ronaldo getting the best out of our other players or not, this season has been a mess regardless. I have seen our players playing like a clueless pile of shite, with or without Ronaldo. Our issues lies much deeper than just one player, or a change of our existing system because of one player, as you have been trying to preach all season.

What you failed to see in this United team, we never have a sustainable structure/system under Ole - it’s always about 2 DM protecting back four, with Bruno spraying the final ball to our pacey forward during counter attack move - it’s never about fluidity of team play, build up play or control, and we are never a pressing team under Moyes/LVG/Mourinho/Ole.

The problem with this style of play, is that we have to rely heavily on individual - form of Bruno, pace/sharpness of Rashford/Martial/James/Greenwood, and the defensive stability of our back 4 and double pivot DM.

Now this season, our fast counter attack play and defensive stability has been broken, and that’s not “entirely” down to Ronaldo:

1.Sancho replacing James/Rashford
- this effectively kills off our counter attack play, as Sancho is never a direct ball runner who attack on straight lines, he is more of playmaker. And we have no one up there to run with quick burst down the wing during counter attack play. This also coincided with Rashford, our main attack outlet, being in shocking form.

2. Form of Bruno
- you may argue Bruno passing has been more limiting due to presence of Ronaldo, I can give you that. But the way he keep losing possession, missing chances and playing poorly, can’t really blame it all on others but himself

3. Ronaldo replacing Cavani/Martial
- you may argue Ronaldo couldn’t press as well as Cavani, hence inviting more pressure to our midfield - but what you failed to understand, we never press as a unit, before or after Ronaldo. Do you really see Rashford, Martial, Greenwood ever pressing up front? At least during Rangnick time, Ronaldo did try to “lead” our pressing play by instructing his teammates when to add pressure on pitch.

4. McFred + back four
- for some reason they have been collectively very poor defensively this season. AWB often being caught off his position and create holes for opponents to attack. Maguire has made more defensive errors than anyone else in the league, which lead to more goals concede. Varane has always been injured and never have time to gel with our back four. Shaw is back to his shite form during Mourinho time. Dalot/Telles has been shocking in defending. Lindelof is same liability at times. Mctominay has been hiding on pitch alot, only Fred plays well at times but his misplaced pass often lead to counter attack by opponents

5. Greenwood
- well I think that’s self explanatory

6. Implementation of gegenpressing and overall fitness of our players
- our players have been in poor fitness over past few years. We could never sustain our form over few months during Ole time. It’s often the case our players would get exhausted/overplayed, and our poor performance would be reflected afterwards. This season with the introduction of gengenpressing, it’s even worst . Not only we failed to press effectively, it also affects the energy level of our players, which may have affected the implementation to our counter attack play (our attackers may get less likely to run into position, after getting tired from pressing, due their poor fitness level)

Last edited:

Bebestation

Well I simply think it’s not about whether Ronaldo getting the best out of our other players or not, this season has been a mess regardless. I have seen our players playing like a clueless pile of shite, with or without Ronaldo. Our issues lies much deeper than just one player, or a change of our existing system because of one player, as you have been trying to preach all season.

What you failed to see in this United team, we never have a sustainable structure/system under Ole - it’s always about 2 DM protecting back four, with Bruno spraying the final ball to our pacey forward during counter attack move - it’s never about fluidity of team play, build up play or control, and we are never a pressing team under Moyes/LVG/Mourinho/Ole.

The problem with this style of play, is that we have to rely heavily on individual - form of Bruno, pace/sharpness of Rashford/Martial/James/Greenwood, and the defensive stability of our back 4 and double pivot DM.

Now this season, our fast counter attack play has been broken, and that’s not “entirely” down to Ronaldo:

1.Sancho replacing James/Rashford
- this effectively kills off our counter attack play, as Sancho is never a ball runner, he is more of playmaker. And we have no one up there to run with quick burst down the wing during counter attack play. This also coincided with Rashford, our main attack outlet, being in shocking form.

2. Form of Bruno
- you may argue Bruno passing has been more limiting due to presence of Ronaldo, I can give you that. But the way he keep losing possession, missing chances and playing poorly, can’t really blame it all on others but himself

3. Ronaldo replacing Cavani/Martial
- you may argue Ronaldo couldn’t press as well as Cavani, hence inviting more pressure to our midfield - but what you failed to understand, we never press as a unit, before or after Ronaldo. At least during Rangnick time, Ronaldo did try to “lead” our pressing play by instructing his teammates when to add pressure on pitch.

4. McFred + back four - for some reason they have been collectively very poor defensively this season. AWB often being caught off his position and create holes for opponents to attack. Maguire has made more defensive errors than anyone else in the league, which lead to more goals concede. Varane has always been injured and never have time to gel with our back four. Shaw is back to his shite form during Mourinho time. Dalot/Telles has been shocking in defending. Lindelof is same liability at times. Mctominay has been hiding on pitch alot, only Fred plays well at times but his misplaced pass often lead to counter attack by opponents

5. Greenwood
- well I think that’s self explanatory
So you see how Sancho broke our counter attack from last season but you can't see how Ronaldo at the age of 37 couldn't break our counter attacking strategy and make us play a different game to how we did last year?

RepardReece

See, I think what we have all been trying to say to you all season long, is it's not all Ronaldo's fault the players aren't playing to the best of their ability.

Sure, he could have an impact. But he's not to fault whatsoever with players like Maguire messing up simple things. You can't blame Ronaldo for Bruno's missed chances, Rashfords missed chances, laziness and the list goes on. That's not Ronaldos fault at all, and you're absolutely delusional if you think he's the issue with that.

He's obviously got a hand in Brunos drop in goals (and tbf his scoring record this season would be nowhere near as bad had he not missed sitters), as he's now the main man ahead of Bruno, but aside from that, there's not really anything else he's affected

If you watched us in 20/21 anyway, you'd know these performances this year aren't new. Last year we only finished second because City was the only team on top of their game

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So you see how Sancho broke our counter attack from last season but you can't see how Ronaldo at the age of 37 couldn't break our counter attacking strategy and make us play a different game to how we did last year?
Well I have already given you 6 different reasons there, of what I think is the cause of our poor form this season.

Bottom line is, I am not saying Ronaldo is free of any blame, but reasons/blames simply lies much bigger/deeper than what you have been suggesting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.