5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeanoMagicHat

Please tell me what reports are those on Cavani being pissed on not keeping the number 7.
If that decision was designed to secure Cavani's loyalty and commitment, sources said that any goodwill quickly evaporated when the forward was told to relinquish the No. 7 jersey for Ronaldo. With his shirt number and first-team place lost to Ronaldo, Cavani was keen to accept an offer from Barcelona at the end of the transfer window, but United refused to let him go and told the 35-year-old to fight for his place instead.

"Cavani was pissed off by that," a source told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manches...-meltdown-where-it-all-went-wrong-this-season

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo ultimately plays ST differently to Cavani & Martial.

Its obvious who the better striker is (Ronaldo) - but anyone who has followed Cavani or Martial know that they are support strikers that are able to bring others in to play through hold up play and passing rather than being traditional tap in strikers.

Last season our main attacking threat was for our wider players Rashford and Greewood to score with cavani/martial linking up play or scoring aswell. The main passes came from Bruno to support a whole wide attacking 3.

This season our main attacking threat turned centrally to Ronaldo. Everyone created for Ronaldo including our wider players. Sancho is an example. Rashford turned to RW that had to cross and create for Ronaldo. Greenwood messed up. Even recently Bruno is being played out wide to create for a central striker.

This season we switched how we play from having a wide attack that tried to get in behind off Bruno's creativity to Bruno,Sancho, Rashford and others trying to create for our main central striker in Ronaldo.

He is not a problem due to his productivity, but what he did was change how the team play through the course of a season.

People will probably say - but look how we played without Ronaldo, when cavani and bruno were playing as our ST and False 9. It just doesnt work for me, you dont spend a whole season practicsing team tactics towards getting the best out of a centralised striker like Ronaldo, only for you to drop him and expect False 9's in an unbalanced uncohesive team to play like Messi.

This is why he turned in to a problem for me, albeit a productive one. He changed the way we as a team played from Last Season to this season ultimately because our main attacking tactic changed with his arrival.
Err.. actually we bought Sancho, who is playmaker wing forward supplying assists for Haaland, before we even bought Ronaldo. You are making it sounds like we have specifically asked Sancho to play support role for Ronaldo, when that’s actually his role in Dortmund.

Besides, you sure it’s nothing to do with form of Rashford, off field issues with Greenwood, and rise of Elanga who couldn’t really score goals?

Jibbs

This all debate is so funny.

Let's see what the pressing machine Liverpool does against Real Madrid and their "Lazy" Benzema who doesn't press.

Bruno literally did in the first game of this season :lol:
It wasn’t so electrifying and cool as Ronaldo’s.

Nordmore

It’s funny when you have everyone here all season saying that Ronaldo not pressing isn’t a problem and then you have his manager Rangnick openly saying that he can’t play how he wants to because of Ronaldo and has to compromise. Ten Hag will have the same issues. I can’t see him leaving because I can’t see who would take him.
This is exactly why I've written off next season.

ETH would have no choice but playing Ronaldo and it'd be more or less pretty the same with this season.

Or maybe, maybe he'd find a way to implement his football with Ronaldo. But that's basically mission impossible imo.

MrEleson

Or footballers are largely voting off reputation and don’t watch much beyond Match of the Day
Interesting assertion to make and even if that was the case, the media narrative of Ronaldo this season is that he’s been a detriment to United and the reason we supposedly plummeted from 2nd place to 6th. So based on that, they wouldn’t be voting for him.

MrEleson

did you miss the word “reputation”
The media narrative of him this year is very much part of his reputation. His reputation this year is that he was part of the reason for our decline. I’m sure they’re not factoring what he did 5-10 years ago when they all pen in to vote for the “21/22 player of the year”

phelans shorts

The media narrative of him this year is very much part of his reputation. His reputation this year is that he was part of the reason for our decline. I’m sure they’re not factoring what he did 5-10 years ago when they all pen in to vote for the “21/22 player of the year”
Alas, no. If you listened to the press it’s “where would United be without him”

MrEleson

Alas, no. If you listened to the press it’s “where would United be without him”
That’s largely in the minority as can be seen even by this thread where most posters have been blaming his lack of pressing or what not for our shortcomings.

And he usually has to score a hat-trick or something to even get the slightest positive feedback.

CarbonStoolBites

Ryan Giggs won this same award when he was crap, so this obviously isn’t true
He definitely wasn’t crap, and was quite excellent when he played centrally towards the end of the season. I would agree he shouldn’t have won it though, Gerrard and Vidic were the best players in the league that season.

MrEleson

This thread is the Press is it? Interesting
I was giving an example. If he can be chastised on a United forum, then it’s very obvious how more underrated he is in general consensus, especially by rival fans. I’ve followed PL media closely and most have labelled him a problem throughout the season. Disappointingly, you even have former teammates like Rooney coming out and downplaying his impact.

If his press was positive, you wouldn’t have Ferdinand tweeting things like this everytime;

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Are posters seriously arguing that Ronaldo was among the best 6 players in league last season? :lol:

MrEleson

Are posters seriously arguing that Ronaldo was among the best 6 players in league last season? :lol:
Not arguing he was necessarily among the 6 best but that his season was underrated in general considering how poor the team was. He was better than given credit for overall. And he did finish 3rd topscorer in the league with less minutes than the top 2.

roonster09

Scout
Not arguing he was necessarily among the 6 best but that his season was underrated in general considering how poor the team was. He was better than given credit for overall. And he did finish 3rd topscorer in the league with less minutes than the top 2.
I agree with that, he was better than given credit for and had good season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Or it could simply be that the professional players appreciate more on how hard it is to score/perform in this disjointed shower of shite.

roonster09

Scout
Seems like PL players got excited having the chance to vote for him.
Yeah, just from Liverpool and ManCity squad you can pick 10 players who had better season than him. Anyways if this helps his confidence (not that he ever wants something to boost his confidence) then it's all good from ManUtd point of view.

MrEleson

Source?

From what I can gather, his per-90 stats are worse than both Salah's and Son's.

(With or without pens, I might add.)
You’re right. My mistake as I was looking at games played where they had both played 5 more each. Looking more closely, he has 137 minutes per goal with Son slightly better at 131 mins/goal and Salah at 120mins/goal.

IhabX7

The state of our current supporters, specifically on the internet, is both sad and pathetic.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
God instead of just thinking that his colleagues might think he had a great season we are going into these mental gymnastics as to why they're wrong too. Have a break guys, it really doesnt matter.

Last edited:

MrEleson

God instead of just thinking that his colleagues might think he had a great season we are going into these mental gymnastics as to why they're wrong to. Have a break guys, it really doesnt matter.
Yeah, he won't even win it anyway so it's all pointless

redcucumber

That’s largely in the minority as can be seen even by this thread where most posters have been blaming his lack of pressing or what not for our shortcomings.

And he usually has to score a hat-trick or something to even get the slightest positive feedback.
That's absolute rubbish. Most mainstream United platforms and 'influencers' such as Rio's podcast or Stretford Paddock absolutely fawn over him. People (like Carragher) started to question if Ronaldo made United worse as a team, in large part due to how little he pressed, as well as the fact that the team was restructured to suit his game and effectively service him. It was a perfectly fair debate to be had, but as we all know from the bizarre Messi-Ronaldo debates, people get incredibly defensive when particular players are questioned. I've got a United mate who refuses to hear anything bad about Ronaldo and always makes a point of saying something anytime he scores, like "I don't want to hear he's a fecking problem ever again". It's ridiculous.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I hope he signs for three more years just to piss off the muppets in here. Ronaldo was the least of our problems last season and still getting slandered. The guy could do bits in a ten Hag setup.

redcucumber

I hope he signs for three more years just to piss off the muppets in here. Ronaldo was the least of our problems last season and still getting slandered. The guy could do bits in a ten Hag setup.
See, attitudes like this is what make any conversation around Ronaldo tedious.

EDIT. Also, Ronaldo could well 'do bits' for United next season. On paper, though, he doesn't fit with Ten Hag's style at Ajax which was a side that pressed and counter-pressed aggressively, worked incredibly hard for each other and created quick turnovers by grafting high up the pitch. It would be great if Ronaldo was accepting of a rotational role, but the risk there is that he kicks up a stink from the bench and creates disharmony within the squad. It's a very reasonable discussion to have.

Last edited:

NewYorkRed

It really is. People have a hard on for hating Ronaldo. Most odd.
They’re mostly new United fans who started supporting the club and liked Messi better than him or just fans still bitter that he left the club all that time ago. The last group is the tactical experts on here who have convinced themselves that unless a striker presses like a headless chicken, he can’t be any good. Gotta ask them how Pep won with Messi then because even then Messi didn’t press much.

redcucumber

They’re mostly new United fans who started supporting the club and liked Messi better than him or just fans still bitter that he left the club all that time ago. The last group is the tactical experts on here who have convinced themselves that unless a striker presses like a headless chicken, he can’t be any good. Gotta ask them how Pep won with Messi then because even then Messi didn’t press much.
No offence, but it's quite ironic that a United fan from New York is adopting a Top Red, holier than thou and disdainful attitude towards other United fans.

NewYorkRed

No offence, but it's quite ironic that a United fan from New York is adopting a Top Red, holier than thou and disdainful attitude towards other United fans.
None taken. Fans from New York spend money on the club too and without fans like myself the club wouldn’t be the global giant it is today.

Its not a holier than thou attitude. But it is infuriating to see fans slate a ManUtd player who has been doing well for the club just because of personal bias. Imagine hating a United player who was top scorer last year? Its embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.