5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BerryBerryShrew

I’m not blaming him for today. Just acknowledging issues that are apparent with him in the team. Lukaku gets stick for offering little to nowt unless he’s on the scoresheet and I think that’s a fair criticism of a 36 year old Ronaldo.
But that's always been a fair criticism of Ronaldo. He affects the game through goals. Ever since his move to Real he has never tracked back, pressed the ball, tried to link play or create from outside the final third. He lives or dies by his goal contributions. This is the decision that managers have to make. Omit him and we may get better play in the final third but if we get one chance in the game who do you want to be at the end of it?

SAF had a similar conundrum with Ruud. He sacked him off to Madrid where Ruud proceeded to bang in the goals...but won next to nowt.

One thing is for certain: Ole will not consider dropping Ronaldo. Therefore he needs to adapt to his weaknesses by either playing him in a front 2 with Cavani or putting him in a 3 with Cavani and Lingard. You need work ethic and legs in your front three to get the best out of a 36 year old Ronaldo.

EtH

We all are fanbois of all of our players and club. We watch the games just for that. If you can't stand that people are talking big about our own players, well do you even support us?

How many goals and points Ronaldo contributed so far? Off days and not contribution etc.
This is just the sort of disproportionate reaction that gets right up on my tits with Ronaldo. Climbing the watertower in his honor when I wasn’t even attacking him in the first place. Just acknowledging issues with him in the team. Wind your neck in.

The United

This is just the sort of disproportionate reaction that gets right up on my tits with Ronaldo. Climbing the watertower in his honor when I wasn’t even attacking him in the first place. Just acknowledging issues with him in the team. Wind your neck in.
The issues have been discussed in many threads way before today.

Some of you guys came in and repeated the same shit like those issues caused us to lose today.

In fact, during 30 mins the team created as much as if not more than the first 60 mins with so called balanced team.

And still weird as hell for a fan to get upset with pundits and the likes talking big about a great player of ours. Super weird.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
But that's always been a fair criticism of Ronaldo. He affects the game through goals. Ever since his move to Real he has never tracked back, pressed the ball, tried to link play or create from outside the final third. He lives or dies by his goal contributions. This is the decision that managers have to make. Omit him and we may get better play in the final third but if we get one chance in the game who do you want to be at the end of it?

SAF had a similar conundrum with Ruud. He sacked him off to Madrid where Ruud proceeded to bang in the goals...but won next to nowt.

One thing is for certain: Ole will not consider dropping Ronaldo. Therefore he needs to adapt to his weaknesses by either playing him in a front 2 with Cavani or putting him in a 3 with Cavani and Lingard. You need work ethic and legs in your front three to get the best out of a 36 year old Ronaldo.
Rashford is certain starter again on the left when he's 100% fit. OGS favourite aswell of course.

EtH

The issues have been discussed in many threads way before today.

Some of you guys came in and repeated the same shit like those issues caused us to lose today.

In fact, during 30 mins the team created as much as if not more than the first 60 mins with so called balanced team.

And still weird as hell for a fan to get upset with pundits and the likes talking big about a great player of ours. Super weird.
Again I didn’t blame him for today and it’s stupid of anyone to do so.

But yeah it’s tiresome to hear about him all the time and how he can manage himself etc from the commentators. He’s 36 years old and not the same player he was but any failure on our part will be that we’ve wasted his talent which is a farce. He brings as many issues to the pitch as he does solutions.

The United

Again I didn’t blame him for today and it’s stupid of anyone to do so.

But yeah it’s tiresome to hear about him all the time and how he can manage himself etc from the commentators. He’s 36 years old and not the same player he was but any failure on our part will be that we’ve wasted his talent which is a farce. He brings as many issues to the pitch as he does solutions.
No player brings all solutions.

In fact every team has problems. Even Pep's teams do.

Even if we signed a DM this season, there will still be issues. It is not like Ronaldo or anyone who is playing at 9 is missing chances after chances to make us lose.

We don't create enough with or without no 9. Which is a big concern. But, it could be that because Rashford is not available , Sancho not hitting the form, Cavani was injuried. In fact, without Ronaldo coming in, I am not sure if Greenwood would do the job alone up front game after game especially James would probably have played from the right. Knowing Cavani, he will probably have some injury spell.

We have the talent up front but we are far from being full strength to get benefit from it including Ronaldo.

UnitedFan93

Yeah, because Ole was really setting the world alight last season.
True but performances are heading in the wrong direction compared to last season. Keep playing like we are with Ronaldo in the team then we'll miss out on top 4 and he'll be sacked.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's obviously not going to be happy with this shite. He won't stick around for next season either if it stays like this. I do wonder how much weight his opinion holds with the board...

Mickson

As much as Cavani presses, our team play does NOT play based on pressing from front. If it does, yes. But, we don't.

Why don't we blame on the 2 wide forwards too. Do you see them pressing as much as Cavani?

And, their lack of efforts have more impact on the team being more vulnerable for the defense than no 9. In fact, if no 9 presses too hard and it makes him out of positions, the attack suffers.
I do. But not in this thread about Ronaldo.

UnitedFan93

He's obviously not going to be happy with this shite. He won't stick around for next season either if it stays like this. I do wonder how much weight his opinion holds with the board...
Probably a good thing for him and the team. The current arrangement suits no one apart from our rivals.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Has anyone noticed that more and more people are beginning to do the Ronaldo celebration every time they score Past us or past a team that has Ronaldo in it. Even rival fans are doing it… it’s becoming a meme… Ronaldo is in everyone’s head. The thing is though when you keep hating on him he will always have the last laugh.

EtH

No player brings all solutions.

In fact every team has problems. Even Pep's teams do.

Even if we signed a DM this season, there will still be issues. It is not like Ronaldo or anyone who is playing at 9 is missing chances after chances to make us lose.

We don't create enough with or without no 9. Which is a big concern. But, it could be that because Rashford is not available , Sancho not hitting the form, Cavani was injuried. In fact, without Ronaldo coming in, I am not sure if Greenwood would do the job alone up front game after game especially James would probably have played from the right. Knowing Cavani, he will probably have some injury spell.

We have the talent up front but we are far from being full strength to get benefit from it including Ronaldo.
Which is why I mentioned the fact that Ronaldo doesn’t bring any creativity or holdup play from the 9 position. Again think about RvP or Benzema. And yes Greenwood would bring far more in that aspect.

And again I’m not just putting blame on Ronaldo. I quite clearly said he doesn’t help other issues within the team.

Josh 76

His last club realized they can't play his wages.
If Ronaldo was 28, they would have payed his wages.

Ronaldo is a 18 yard box player nowadays. He is probably still one of the best. But the days of having a great box striker have long gone. Football has moved on.

The other thing is, having a “box” striker is very useful to have in the squad. (Hernandez a prime example). But when that “box” striker is the biggest name on the planet, it’s never going to have a happy ending.

Ronaldo will be the final nail in Ole’s coffin.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Putting him up top is not going to work. He will score goals but our overall play suffers. Games which he can't bail us out will end up costing us. I want to see him paired with Cavani and let him play the free role.

A team with Ronaldo needs a Midfielder on left side to cover for him. And a striker alongside him to press. Cavani and Rashford would be my choice to pair when Rashford is back. And play Bruno little bit deep with Scott Fred or Matic. This might mean Pogba doesn't play. I don't know if Ole has what it takes to make such decision. It's quite clear we can't play all our attacking talent with him on the pitch

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Ronaldo is a 18 yard box player nowadays. He is probably still one of the best. But the days of having a great box striker have long gone. Football has moved on.

The other thing is, having a “box” striker is very useful to have in the squad. (Hernandez a prime example). But when that “box” striker is the biggest name on the planet, it’s never going to have a happy ending.

Bingo.

He is a box striker who gets to start every single game because of his legendary status, even though his ability outside the box is pretty much gone.

chiz2kul

It is. If you can’t work Ronaldo into your system then you aren’t good enough to manage at the level we’re trying to reach.

Pep wanted him, by the way. Think he had no plan for how to use him?
Working players like Ronaldo/Messi into your system isn't as easy as it sounds and (unpopular opinion) may not be the best thing for the overall health of the team imho.
There's a reason why Pep passed on him.

Real Name

So Ronaldo held Juventus back or something?
The biggest name on the planet didn't start today. If Ole knew how to use him it would work or how to use the team. We wouldn't be any better without him and hopefully he'll come useful when Ole leaves.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Working players like Ronaldo/Messi into your system isn't as easy as it sounds and (unpopular opinion) may not be the best thing for the overall health of the team imho.
Except he didn’t pass on Ronaldo did he?

A few of our players will have been given a reminder in the dressing room of what it takes to be a winner. Our manager too, hopefully.

Though the concerns that aside from goals Ronaldo reduces attacking fluidity are legitimate, I also think the team has done a terrible job at actively seeking him out since his arrival, so 5 in 6 earns him a hell of a lot of credit.

I maintain that we should play Cavani and Ronaldo together as much as we realistically can at their ages. Cavani is far superior as a focal point and contributes so much more to team play, but Ronaldo puts the ball in the back of the net with such regularity that I don’t think he should be dropped.

Ronaldo-Cavani-Greenwood would be my first choice front 3, or even a front 2 with Ronnie and Cavani or Greenwood. There’s no reason why we can’t play 2 at top in home games against mid to lower table PL opposition.

Josh 76

So Ronaldo held Juventus back or something?
The biggest name on the planet didn't start today. If Ole knew how to use him it would work or how to use the team. We wouldn't be any better without him and hopefully he'll come useful when Ole leaves.
Ask Juventus fans how Ronaldo fitted in last season. You maybe surprised!

NYAS

Pep didn’t pass on him. They got rejected. There’s a ton of evidence of that.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Even though he’s very self indulgent he knew very well coming in that we’re not an elite level club on the pitch, he came to help us get back to the top. Supporters can moan as much as they want but the main man clearly whining and sulking after a poor result isn’t a good look. The whole squad will be feeding of his energy and we don’t need that right now.

Despite the media and commentators fawning over him as if he’s walking on water, this isn’t the Ronaldo show and Ole needs to manage his emotions very carefully because things are about to get worse.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wondered how long it'd be before people started moaning.
Thought we'd last beyond October 2nd though!

snk123

Wondered how long it'd be before people started moaning.
Thought we'd last beyond October 2nd though!
Its astonishing really. That too after he won us crucial 3 points in CL. For this 30 minute cameo, in which we created a grand total of feck all chance, the same stupid narrative is being repeated.

I mean look at where Juventus are without him ffs. We are poor with or without Ronaldo. We are dreadful to watch with no gameplay and attacking cohesion.

Devil81

No idea why he was brought on so early during the game, Cavani was working their line well and dropping deep.

It made serious sense in my opinion.

Having said that I'd have started Ronaldo, he's the form guy. Cavani should be starting but in the same team with a change of formation.

Sviken

Again think about RvP or Benzema.
Wow, nice example. The same RvP that was the best striker in SAF's season and looked like a shadow of his former self in the space of 1 year in Moyesy's season? The reality is that if Pep was managing Cristiano right now, it pains me to say, but he'd be scoring hat-tricks. Ole has no idea on how to use Ronaldo. Rio or Persie said (I can't remember which) that SAF told the team and especially Carrick, Scholes and Rooney that if they do not pass to RVP, they're off the team. This is not McFred or Greenwod, this is Scholes, Rooney and Carrick, legends at the United shirt. Because SAF knew what to do with his players, Ole is treating Ronaldo like a promising youngster he just brought, not a guy who could win you the league. Why bench him after scoring the winning goal against Villareal? What is the point of benching your biggest goalscorer? People might argue he is 36 years old, but Ronaldo is not your ordinary 36 years old. You get a coach who knows how to coach these players and you'd see Ronaldo scoring buckets again. Problem is that I do not see that happening before Ronaldo leaves. So long as Ole doesn't royally shit it up (miss on top 4), he'd stay at this job for ever. And I don't think our top 4 place is ever threatened with this squad. We're never gonna win any titles, but out of pure quality in this team they'll always produce special moments to win us games.

Reactions: Sultan

The United

Would have subbed Marital for him and leave Cavani for about 10 more mins then subbed him for Sancho.

But then again, nothing would have looked this bad if Fred did something about the counter.

FatTails

Just doesn't fit our team at all. With our crap midfield the team needs legs up front to press the opposition so that the midfield doesn't get exposed. Cavani presses, Ronaldo doesn't. Scoring goals wasn't a problem last season, it was the defence. The defence starts from the front and Ronaldo doesn't defend at all. It's all well and good celebrating his last minute goal in the week but let's not forget how bad his and the teams performance was in that game and the fact that we should have been 1-3 down at that stage.

Ronaldo is a massive problem that will cost Ole's job because the teams performances and therefore results will suffer with him in the team.
I don’t know. We finally managed to beat the mighty Villarreal.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Unless he wasn't fit to start, he should start every game. United have made their bed with CR7, for better or for worse, so he might as well be starting those kinds of games because he's still the most likely to get a goal out of anybody, and Cavani is more effective off the bench with his pressing and constant runs. CR7 can get you a goal off the bench for sure, but he's not going to be as impactful in the 60-70th minute than a fresh Cavani on the overall game.

You can't bench CR7 for long, you can't keep him away from FKs or PKs without it being a media discussion, and you can't have a team express itself fully when he's on the field because he's going to command how the team plays, no matter where he goes or his age, and Ole is not the man that will change that, especially because it will yield good returns, but less and less when it matters lately, but all of that could still change this season.

United in sin

Pep didn’t pass on him. They got rejected. There’s a ton of evidence of that.
Mendes and Ronaldo approached City first, not the other way round.

https://www.si.com/soccer/mancheste...n-why-cristiano-ronaldo-did-not-join-man-city

“When it became clear City were not able to sell at least one of their players Mendes told City that they would be accepting United's offer. The rest is history”.

Its astonishing really. That too after he won us crucial 3 points in CL. For this 30 minute cameo, in which we created a grand total of feck all chance, the same stupid narrative is being repeated.

I mean look at where Juventus are without him ffs. We are poor with or without Ronaldo. We are dreadful to watch with no gameplay and attacking cohesion.
To be fair Juventus were dire during Ronaldo's final season there and Pirlo's first (and last)

Last edited:

MichaelRed

What on earth.. loons in here are actually blaming Ronaldo? Was the 3 years of failure under Ole before Ronaldo arrived not a hint? Oh yea, it's definitely all Ronnie's fault & not the inept coaching.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mendes and Ronaldo approached City first, not the other way round.

https://www.si.com/soccer/mancheste...n-why-cristiano-ronaldo-did-not-join-man-city

“When it became clear City were not able to sell at least one of their players Mendes told City that they would be accepting United's offer. The rest is history”.

To be fair Juventus were dire during Ronaldo's final season there and Pirlo's first (and last)
So the biggest Pep fan journalist in world football, suggests that because City couldn't sell 3 players who aren't actually proper strikers, or any sort of striker, that they suddenly couldn't afford Ronaldo. In a summer they'd already bid 100m for Kane?

Sounds legit.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I see posters mentioning the goals and points he has scored to help the team win. You'd think the club without Ronaldo has never won points and his replacement or the team as a unit would not have won those games/points.

I seem to remember the team winning 5-1 against Leeds and we have mostly been inept in most games with the exception of the Newcastle game. If anything the performances have deteriorated since Ronaldo has been in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.