5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sviken

Stuck up top :lol: Poor fellow unable to help his team mates because someone has tied him to a plank in the box. He isn't stuck there, he chooses to play as a poacher and let everyone else do the hard work.
umm... what? First time I'm hearing that Ronaldo picks the roles and team selection. In your opinion, Ronaldo is our manager?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
umm... what? First time I'm hearing that Ronaldo picks the roles and team selection. In your opinion, Ronaldo is our manager?
Such a strange deduction. You think Ronaldo is a poacher by choice or its Ole who is instructing him to be that way? We have obviously signed him for the player he is not the one we feel we can turn him into (would be really daft considering his age).

Deery

Dreary
It's not the same match clearly, see the uniforms they're different. Ole's gestures are from another season.
FFS it’s an example of what Ole does on the left and Ronaldo mocking it on the right .

BarstoolProphet

I've actually been quite surprised by his contribution so far, and I mean that in positive terms. He's obviously not among the very best anymore, but he still contributes a lot - even if it might hamper the team's cohesion.

I utterly hate the posts on his social media made by his PR people though. It's like he borrowed the auto-generated response machine from Facebook to write his posts after every game.

Deery

Dreary
The hate for Ronaldo in this thread is shocking, it’s the team behind him making numerous mistakes and a manager puts out shit formations and tactics as to why we are getting beat not because Ronaldo doesn’t Ultra press the centre back.

In Liverpool’s first goal on Sunday there was about 4 mistakes leading down the right and across midfield into defence for the goal if anything Liverpool targeted Greenwood’s lack of tracking back to score 3 times, nearly every goal had nothing to do with Ronaldo but he’s somehow getting the blame?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The hate for Ronaldo in this thread is shocking, it’s the team behind him making numerous mistakes and a manager puts out shit formations and tactics as to why we are getting beat not because Ronaldo doesn’t Ultra press the centre back.

In Liverpool’s first goal on Sunday there was about 4 mistakes leading down the right and across midfield into defence for the goal if anything Liverpool targeted Greenwood’s lack of tracking back to score 3 times, nearly every goal had nothing to do with Ronaldo but he’s somehow getting the blame?

Shows what happened. I know you it won't matter to you as Ronaldo doesn't effect our team in any negative way what so ever.

Deery

Dreary
I've actually been quite surprised by his contribution so far, and I mean that in positive terms. He's obviously not among the very best anymore, but he still contributes a lot - even if it might hamper the team's cohesion.

I utterly hate the posts on his social media made by his PR people though. It's like he borrowed the auto-generated response machine from Facebook to write his posts after every game.
I hated them too not because it was a generic msg but because it was a grovelling apology that Ronaldo just shouldn’t do it’s not him it’s not his personality, he is a strong minded, super concentrated elite athlete and the goat player in the world, being reduced to these apologies is fecking embarrassing.

Deery

Dreary

Shows what happened. I know you it won't matter to you as Ronaldo doesn't effect our team in any negative way what so ever.
I don’t need your football for retards video’s to know Ronaldo wasn’t at fault for the 5 goals, when midfield and defence are falling all over each other to defend a goal. You can take your agenda elsewhere.

Mickson

Shit footballer (good poacher though), shit human. We're a joke of a club for signing him and it's showing. Hopefully, he won't be here for long.

Bebestation

I don’t need your football for retards video’s to know Ronaldo wasn’t at fault for the 5 goals, when midfield and defence are falling all over each other to defend a goal. You can take your agenda elsewhere.
There we go.

You don't have a video to show Ronaldo is not at fault. It's in your head or more at your heart because you love him for the player he was than the player he currently is.

Can't even watch a video and yet it is we who has hate for Ronaldo when we are trying to highlight a problem. Absolute bullshit.

People trying to blame the video creator aswell when now I have seen 3 different football youtube channels highlight the same problem at United - Ronaldo's lack of pressing opens up our midfield.

The love for him is absolutely extraordinary.

He is 36, not even 31 anymore. 36. Bloody 36. People want to build teams to get the best out of him more than a player like Greenwood. The love for him is extraordinary, anymore so than any sort of hatred shown towards him. Mind-blowing stuff. Can't even watch a video that shows the problem. Absolutely like talking about your own baby or something .

Kostov

Mate I am sure another forward would press more or do more defensive work, but how is that relevant when you have midfield and defense that have no clue how to do the basics.

Mickson

There we go.

You don't have a video to show Ronaldo is not at fault. It's in your head or more at your heart because you love him for the player he was than the player he currently is.

Can't even watch a video and yet it is we who has hate for Ronaldo when we are trying to highlight a problem. Absolute bullshit.

People trying to blame the video creator aswell when now I have seen 3 different football youtube channels highlight the same problem at United - Ronaldo's lack of pressing opens up our midfield.

He is 36, not even 31 anymore. 36. Bloody 36. People want to build teams to get the best out of him more than a player like Greenwood. The love for him is extraordinary, anymore so than any sort of hatred shown towards him. Mind-blowing stuff. Can't even watch a video that shows the problem. Absolutely like talking about your own baby or something .
Imagine being such a basic human that you love Ronaldo more than anything.

Mickson

Mate I am sure another forward would press more or do more defensive work, but how is that relevant when you have midfield and defense that have no clue how to do the basics.
You really think that Maguire, Shaw etc doesn't have a clue how to do basic defending? :lol:

Rajma

If we get Conte I think he’ll leave in the summer (or even winter) due a limited playing time. He likes to have one of his strikers who can at least have some sort back to the goal play.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Ronaldo was at Juventus last season. They had a terrible season by their standards, yet had the 2nd best defensive record of Serie A. This is with a midfield that most of their supporters consider severely lacking.

United, meanwhile, have the joint 4th worst defensive record in the PL right now, and have multiple games in the last seasons (with or without Ronaldo) in which they've conceded a feckload of goals.

The video analysis may be "right" in some sense but it's clearly not giving you the full picture, since "conceding a feckload of goals" and "having Ronaldo on your team" don't seem to correlate that strongly.

Deery

Dreary
There we go.

All made by Messi fanboys no doubt that are so insecure they need to attack Ronaldo at any chance they get.

I watched your shitty video for what it’s worth and the only thing it said was Ronaldo didn’t cut of the passing angle of the fullback, which could happen 100 times in any match by any striker, I don’t see Lukaku or Lewandowski ultra pressing the defence either but I’m sure you’ve got a reason for that too.

If the team was set up right, coached right and tactics as well as players were right you wouldn’t have a leg to stand on.

AFC NimbleThumb

Prime Cavani wasn’t stopping that horror show on Sunday. I’d love Ronaldo to press more but feck me, people are looking for answers in the wrong places.

Deery

Dreary
Prime Cavani wasn’t stopping that horror show on Sunday. I’d love Ronaldo to press more but feck me, people are looking for answers in the wrong places.
Exactly you stick Lukaku a £100m forward in his prime in that team Sunday there’s no difference to the score line.

Strelok

Tbh I'm really tired of listening to people asking other players to do the hard work to cover for Ronaldo's lack thereof.

First, it's not fair. Why can't Ronaldo do a bit more to help the team instead? Cavani is 34 yo and he still running his heart out for the team. Ronaldo, the physical monster, the phenomenal athlete, the one who age doesn't matter according to his fanboies surely would do what 34 yo Cavani could?

Second, those people don't have a clue how a pressing system work. Let's take Liverpool for example, or any team who employ a high pressing system. Their #9s always have the highest pressing rate among the strikers in the league. While their wingers often have much lesser. Why? It's fecking simple. Because the #9 is generally responsible to press two CBs around him. He's actually the only player in the whole system is tasked with pressing two opponent's players. So of course he has to run his arse off. While the wingers only presses when the opponent's FB in their respective wing has the ball. Asking the wingers or midfielders to do the pressing work for the #9 is simply one of the stupidest things I've read. They'll leave fecking gaps behind them and make the whole system a mess if they do so.

Have some nice, simple read here about how pressing work and you'd have an idea I think.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/football/analysis-how-high-pressing-game-works-football

BarstoolProphet

I hated them too not because it was a generic msg but because it was a grovelling apology that Ronaldo just shouldn’t do it’s not him it’s not his personality, he is a strong minded, super concentrated elite athlete and the goat player in the world, being reduced to these apologies is fecking embarrassing.
It's just not the apologies though, it's also the ridiculously OTT fan service-laden messages which started with the "This is for you, Sir Alex."

Bebestation

Look at the first goal in that video - how Ronaldo's lack of pressing moves Bruno out of position, then Greenwood’s out of position, then Wan Bissaka out of position, Lindelof out of position then Maguire and finally Shaw - and then an easy goal for Liverpool.

Listen People are going to disagree but our football was better last year.

I'm not saying our midfield was perfect or our defence was perfect - but ultimately this problem I'm highlighting in this video did not exist. It was not there.

Now why do we want it to be there?

Because Ronaldo is a poacher? He is 36 and he can score an important goal but he is a player that has deemed himself as a player that should start every single game and play a full 90 mins. I see some weaknesses in his game these days that some people refuse to see whilst some strengths like his heading ability and his basic finishing ability are there -

have you noticed how he has hit alot of shots straight at the goalkeeper and no one says crap all? Some of his shots are straight at the knee caps of the opponent's and we lost possesion. His passing or hold up play isn't great because he was never a ST in his prime either so I'm not sure why he will be bossing it at 36 :( What do you think of his runs? Not his pressing but his runs? Can he make a run like Rashford did off the bench to Lindelof's long range pass? You are probably going to say no, but he is old - but that is right, he is old and he does not play that way anymore and ultimately it will have consequences on our overall ability as a team.

Do you think Ronaldo looks like a hattrick a match player in the PL anymore? How confident are you of his finishing? At the age of 36 how often do you think he will score 2 goals a match? Do you think we can build a team that gets the best out of Ronaldo at the age of 36-37 and still use goalscorers like Rashford, Greenwood and Bruno to the best of their ability because I'm already hearing that some should be dropped and we should change formation to get the best out of a 36 year old player instead of younger ones.

I've got nothing against him - my Goat and everything, ultimately I support United over Ronaldo though. This is a player that left us in his prime and came back a slightly different player that needs to be managed different- yet he is getting managed the same, getting supported the same as the guy that's still in his prime. I do not believe so. Nothing is permanent, everything decays and deteriorates eventually- Ronaldo is the same.

Bebestation

All made by Messi fanboys no doubt that are so insecure they need to attack Ronaldo at any chance they get.

I watched your shitty video for what it’s worth and the only thing it said was Ronaldo didn’t cut of the passing angle of the fullback, which could happen 100 times in any match by any striker, I don’t see Lukaku or Lewandowski ultra pressing the defence either but I’m sure you’ve got a reason for that too.

If the team was set up right, coached right and tactics as well as players were right you wouldn’t have a leg to stand on.
:lol:

I'm one of the biggest Ronaldo fan boys in the Ronaldo vs Messi thread. Absolutely rubbish.

I support United over Ronaldo. You do not.

Bebestation

Ronaldo was at Juventus last season. They had a terrible season by their standards, yet had the 2nd best defensive record of Serie A. This is with a midfield that most of their supporters consider severely lacking.

United, meanwhile, have the joint 4th worst defensive record in the PL right now, and have multiple games in the last seasons (with or without Ronaldo) in which they've conceded a feckload of goals.

The video analysis may be "right" in some sense but it's clearly not giving you the full picture, since "conceding a feckload of goals" and "having Ronaldo on your team" don't seem to correlate that strongly.
I'm not 100% sure about this because I didn't watch Juventus but I think the big difference is that Juventus played a 352 with Ronaldo and Dybala.

This was again showed in the video I posted showing that playing a 2 man striker partnership would stop the pressing problem United currently have. This is why Bruno tries to get forward or Greenwood tries to get forward. Currently no pressing Ronaldo as our main and lead striker means our opponent CB'S can shift position and pick pockets of space to open up and pass as soon as it does. Its very easy. A 2 man strike partnership sits with each CB and stops that happening. Also 3 at the back is going to help defensively.

The problem here is that we build a team towards Ronaldo then we start dropping players like Greenwood, Bruno, Rashford, Cavani, Sancho etc because they cant all fit in strike partnership formations.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If we get Conte I think he’ll leave in the summer (or even winter) due a limited playing time. He likes to have one of his strikers who can at least have some sort back to the goal play.
I don't know how pleased the owners would be to have a manager come in and basically tell them their CR7 PR stunt was just that and they need to get rid of him to progress. For sure CR7 doesn't fit in a long-term plan, that was never the goal anyways, but you won't be able to have him be a bench player while he's here and it would be a real embarrassment and shameful way to treat a club legend to have him come in only to get the boot because they thought they could change that zebra's stripes. It's just a mess all around, but not really a surprising one. Getting a player like CR7, especially at this stage, is a massive headache unless you have a team prepared to integrate him without taking away from what you're trying to do and to just complement it. This is far from what United is, it's far from what many teams are to be fair, maybe City/Liverpool would qualify but that's about it. Juventus and now United look worse with CR7 on the team than they did without him prior to his coming because he's not just a player coming into a team, he is an entire system the team must adapt to, regardless of whether they're equipped to or not. Players have to sacrifice their game for CR7, he is not a Benzema who can enhance others around him, he takes away from others' game to create an output that almost no one in the history of the sport could. Unfortunately father time doesn't really care about legends and how healthy you live, CR7 is not the player he used to be, and the positives of his impact get diminished while the negatives are enhanced.

It's the bed United chose to lie on, they have to make the best of it. It would obviously be a long shot compared to Conte, who is pushing to be the manager, but Zidane would be my clear choice in who I would bring in to make the best out of this situation. I think Conte will struggle to establish the team he wants, and it may explode spectacularly in everybody's faces. I would rather have a manager with a proven record of adapting his tactics and set ups to his teams, whether it's a world-class team or a rebuilding one. United need someone with tactical flexibility IMO, they won't be able to adapt to a rigid philosophy without massive changes to the team which would set them back even further.

Anustart89

What are you on about? It’s a proven fact that if Ronaldo doesn’t press the fullback then Maguire can’t properly stay in position or communicate with his teammates. Or something.

Maguire’s individual plays have more or less directly cost us at least seven goals in our last three games. Who do we blame? Maguire himself? Nah. Ole for picking him despite having fit options on the bench? Nah! Ronaldo? Yes!!

KeanoMagicHat

The balance was fundamentally altered throughout the team when Ronaldo arrived in a similar way to when Sanchez arrived in Mourinho's last year and the arrival of both players seems to have precipitated their manager's decline.

One player can have a big difference in a team dynamic, it's like when Van Dijk got injured for Liverpool and all of a sudden the full-backs were 10 yards further back, their midfield was weak and easily bypassed because their defensive midfielders like Fabinho and Henderson ended up at the back. And all of a sudden they couldn't score any goals, even though it was only their defenders that were injured.

How could losing defenders cause a team to struggle to score (Liverpool)? How could attackers cause a team to concede so many (United)? It's a team game. Ronaldo's lack of pressing on its own could be covered up in a more creative way but at the moment it's causing Bruno to do it for him, which leaves massive gaps in midfield.

Attacking-wise, Bruno goes from scoring 43 goals in 83 games for United to 1 goal in 10 games, in a similar way to what happened to Dybala at Juve after Ronaldo arrived. It's no longer Bruno's team, it's a team in 36-year-old Ronaldo's image, so he has to take a portion of the blame for what's happening.

You can blame Ronaldo for it, you can blame Ole for it, but something is fundamentally wrong at the moment.

Deery

Dreary
Look at the first goal in that video - how Ronaldo's lack of pressing moves Bruno out of position, then Greenwood’s out of position, then Wan Bissaka out of position, Lindelof out of position then Maguire and finally Shaw - and then an easy goal for Liverpool.

Listen People are going to disagree but our football was better last year.

I'm not saying our midfield was perfect or our defence was perfect - but ultimately this problem I'm highlighting in this video did not exist. It was not there.

Now why do we want it to be there?

Because Ronaldo is a poacher? He is 36 and he can score an important goal but he is a player that has deemed himself as a player that should start every single game and play a full 90 mins. I see some weaknesses in his game these days that some people refuse to see whilst some strengths like his heading ability and his basic finishing ability are there -

have you noticed how he has hit alot of shots straight at the goalkeeper and no one says crap all? Some of his shots are straight at the knee caps of the opponent's and we lost possesion. His passing or hold up play isn't great because he was never a ST in his prime either so I'm not sure why he will be bossing it at 36 :( What do you think of his runs? Not his pressing but his runs? Can he make a run like Rashford did off the bench to Lindelof's long range pass? You are probably going to say no, but he is old - but that is right, he is old and he does not play that way anymore and ultimately it will have consequences on our overall ability as a team.

Do you think Ronaldo looks like a hattrick a match player in the PL anymore? How confident are you of his finishing? At the age of 36 how often do you think he will score 2 goals a match? Do you think we can build a team that gets the best out of Ronaldo at the age of 36-37 and still use goalscorers like Rashford, Greenwood and Bruno to the best of their ability because I'm already hearing that some should be dropped and we should change formation to get the best out of a 36 year old player instead of younger ones.

I've got nothing against him - my Goat and everything, ultimately I support United over Ronaldo though. This is a player that left us in his prime and came back a slightly different player that needs to be managed different- yet he is getting managed the same, getting supported the same as the guy that's still in his prime. I do not believe so. Nothing is permanent, everything decays and deteriorates eventually- Ronaldo is the same.
Bruno pressing the keeper is on Bruno not Ronaldo for being totally irresponsible with his position.

Ronaldo has made plenty of runs off the ball to get onto the end of passes and was unlucky not to score near post of one on Sunday, no one is making Rashford type runs but Rashford and that goes for the whole PL.

Ronaldo has recently set the all time hat trick record for his country and scored two v Ireland as well as two v Newcastle so your reasoning is completely wrong there.

He may hit the keeper but he’s having to create his own chances and only getting half shots and still was able to smash the back of the net v Liverpool but was chalked off and from a run I may add.

So is there anything else you want debunking or are you finished?

EtH

I don't know how pleased the owners would be to have a manager come in and basically tell them their CR7 PR stunt was just that and they need to get rid of him to progress. For sure CR7 doesn't fit in a long-term plan, that was never the goal anyways, but you won't be able to have him be a bench player while he's here and it would be a real embarrassment and shameful way to treat a club legend to have him come in only to get the boot because they thought they could change that zebra's stripes. It's just a mess all around, but not really a surprising one. Getting a player like CR7, especially at this stage, is a massive headache unless you have a team prepared to integrate him without taking away from what you're trying to do and to just complement it. This is far from what United is, it's far from what many teams are to be fair, maybe City/Liverpool would qualify but that's about it. Juventus and now United look worse with CR7 on the team than they did without him prior to his coming because he's not just a player coming into a team, he is an entire system the team must adapt to, regardless of whether they're equipped to or not. Players have to sacrifice their game for CR7, he is not a Benzema who can enhance others around him, he takes away from others' game to create an output that almost no one in the history of the sport could. Unfortunately father time doesn't really care about legends and how healthy you live, CR7 is not the player he used to be, and the positives of his impact get diminished while the negatives are enhanced.

It's the bed United chose to lie on, they have to make the best of it. It would obviously be a long shot compared to Conte, who is pushing to be the manager, but Zidane would be my clear choice in who I would bring in to make the best out of this situation. I think Conte will struggle to establish the team he wants, and it may explode spectacularly in everybody's faces. I would rather have a manager with a proven record of adapting his tactics and set ups to his teams, whether it's a world-class team or a rebuilding one. United need someone with tactical flexibility IMO, they won't be able to adapt to a rigid philosophy without massive changes to the team which would set them back even further.
Very good post that.

I think Ten Hag is far more equipped to get results with Ronaldo in the team than Conte due to his tactical flexibility, and I imagine Ronnie would find himself back on the left under ETH.

Bebestation

I'm not 100% sure about Conte and Ronaldo - he may have good time managing him because he can fit his tactics but I personally quite sure that as soon as Conte comes that he is going for Haaland.

One of his strikers at Juventus was Fernando Llorente, One of his starting strikers at Inter was Lukaku, One of his starting strikers at Chelsea was Morata. Matri is another at Juventus. Italy had Pelle up top.

One of his tactics is to have a very very bulky strong striker and since Haaland is available on the summer of his arrival I really doubt he is just going to let it go by too easily. Obviously Haaland himself has to be interested in joining here, if not then he can use Ronaldo there. Maybe Conte has a good history with Raiola too, dont know anything about that.

KeanoMagicHat

Ronaldo has recently set the all time hat trick record for his country and scored two v Ireland as well as two v Newcastle so your reasoning is completely wrong there.
Ronaldo showed the exact same problems he causes for United in that game against Ireland as well, he was terrible from general play and Portugal should be beating Ireland easily at home, but relied on beating Ireland with last-minute headers.

Ireland ended up creating as many good chances against Portugal as they did later in the week against Azerbaijan, and that was with Cancelo, Pepe and Dias at the back - all well regarded defenders. The same Bruno and Ronaldo problem was evident there and Ireland cut through the middle a few times and that was with very limited players. Eventually Santos took off Bruno before 60 minutes to try to rectify it.

Cloud7

I feel sorry for him that he’s wasting one of his last years at the top of the game at this self induced shitshow United have going on.

MrEleson

This post is just more evidence to support my point. No one has contributed more to our overall play going forward this season than Greenwood. And yet we have posters claiming Ronaldo who has done sweet feck all outside of goalscoring has contributed more. It beggars belief and I honestly wonder whether some even watch our matches at times judging by some of the comments.
Not sure about other metrics, but considering Greenwood has a grand total of 0 assists this season and usually opts to shoot from tight angles instead of making the pass or cross, his general play couldn’t have been as good as you’re making it out to be.

Bebestation

Bruno pressing the keeper is on Bruno not Ronaldo for being totally irresponsible with his position.

Ronaldo has made plenty of runs off the ball to get onto the end of passes and was unlucky not to score near post of one on Sunday, no one is making Rashford type runs but Rashford and that goes for the whole PL.

He may hit the keeper but he’s having to create his own chances and only getting half shots and still was able to smash the back of the net v Liverpool but was chalked off and from a run I may add.

So is there anything else you want debunking or are you finished?
I knew you would mention that - seems a bit similar with the quality of opposition that. Ireland, Newcastle and some random country. Hence in my original post I said PL already, only did a duo once. Not good enough for me.

Idxomer

In training, United do not train much pressing, with an explanation being that the strategy under Solskjaer is for the man nearest the ball to close down the opponent in possession as the team track back and get into shape.
Can you really blame anyone for not pressing if that's the plan?

Bebestation

Ronaldo showed the exact same problems he causes for United in that game against Ireland as well, he was terrible from general play and Portugal should be beating Ireland easily at home, but relied on beating Ireland with last-minute headers.

Ireland ended up creating as many good chances against Portugal as they did later in the week against Azerbaijan, and that was with Cancelo, Pepe and Dias at the back - all well regarded defenders. The same Bruno and Ronaldo problem was evident there and Ireland cut through the middle a few times and that was with very limited players. Eventually Santos took off Bruno before 60 minutes to try to rectify it.
:nono:

Not true apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.