Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEleson

There we go.

You don't have a video to show Ronaldo is not at fault. It's in your head or more at your heart because you love him for the player he was than the player he currently is.

Can't even watch a video and yet it is we who has hate for Ronaldo when we are trying to highlight a problem. Absolute bullshit.

People trying to blame the video creator aswell when now I have seen 3 different football youtube channels highlight the same problem at United - Ronaldo's lack of pressing opens up our midfield.

The love for him is absolutely extraordinary.

He is 36, not even 31 anymore. 36. Bloody 36. People want to build teams to get the best out of him more than a player like Greenwood. The love for him is extraordinary, anymore so than any sort of hatred shown towards him. Mind-blowing stuff. Can't even watch a video that shows the problem. Absolutely like talking about your own baby or something .
Why weren’t his previous teams getting this kinda of drubbings to a team that barely had to get out of 3rd gear then if he’s such a problem with the press?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Can you really blame anyone for not pressing if that's the plan?
Actually shows the problem, the man nearest to the ball has to press. That is the tactic - Ronaldo doesn't press the CB'S when they have the ball when he is the closest so Bruno goes for it.

I'm not saying the tactics are good, I'm saying Ronaldo doesn't follow the tactics.

Highfather_24

- Ronaldo has been instrumental to whatever success we have had this season
- Our tactics under Ole are shit and no matter what striker is there, we will still have issues
- Ronaldo's limitations have made our team worse

All these things are true and are not mutually exclusive.

Bebestation

Why weren’t his previous teams getting this kinda of drubbings to a team that barely had to get out of 3rd gear then if he’s such a problem with the press?
Which teams? Juventus I mentioned before above.

AFC NimbleThumb

What are you on about? It’s a proven fact that if Ronaldo doesn’t press the fullback then Maguire can’t properly stay in position or communicate with his teammates. Or something.

Maguire’s individual plays have more or less directly cost us at least seven goals in our last three games. Who do we blame? Maguire himself? Nah. Ole for picking him despite having fit options on the bench? Nah! Ronaldo? Yes!!
I’m not actually sure what it is you’re on about. Are you criticising Maguire or Ronaldo?

Calm down & read my post again.

Deery

Dreary
I knew you would mention that - seems a bit similar with the quality of opposition that. Ireland, Newcastle and some random country. Hence in my original post I said PL already, only did a duo once. Not good enough for me.
So you pick and choose who you consider a PL team now? And you aren’t even taking into consideration the few games Ronaldo has even been here what is it about 10 or so but he already has a collection of goals to criticise whereas Sancho a £75m attacker has the grand total of zero goals or assists.

Deery

Dreary
Ronaldo showed the exact same problems he causes for United in that game against Ireland as well, he was terrible from general play and Portugal should be beating Ireland easily at home, but relied on beating Ireland with last-minute headers.

Ireland ended up creating as many good chances against Portugal as they did later in the week against Azerbaijan, and that was with Cancelo, Pepe and Dias at the back - all well regarded defenders. The same Bruno and Ronaldo problem was evident there and Ireland cut through the middle a few times and that was with very limited players. Eventually Santos took off Bruno before 60 minutes to try to rectify it.
So you’re criticising him for what exactly scoring just the two goals or setting the international goal scoring record I’m not sure.

MrEleson

Which teams? Juventus I mentioned before above.
I rarely if ever saw any Juventus fans criticise him for lack of pressing (I rarely ever saw them suffer because of it too). Ronaldo has always been known for his low defensive contribution, which has been universally accepted his entire career until now.

Bebestation

2 penalties and a single goal vs Luxembourg.
1 goal vs Qatar
2 last 10 min goals vs Ireland (29 shots and 73%possesion for the team)
0 vs Belgium
2 penalties vs France

I just can't be bothered. Too many posters of Ronaldo than United.

Real Name

1 goal vs Qatar
0 vs Belgium
2 penalties vs France

You cant be bothered after posting about 76 posts about Ronaldo not pressing.

Bebestation

I rarely if ever saw any Juventus fans criticise him for lack of pressing (I rarely ever saw them suffer because of it too). Ronaldo has always been known for his low defensive contribution, which has been universally accepted his entire career until now.
Juventus didn't need to, as far as I knew they played strike partnership who would block the CB'S switching play that a single player can't do without actually pressing.

Bebestation

You cant be bothered after posting about 76 posts about Ronaldo not pressing.
You hurt? I see a problem and I want to post because I want to sort it out. How is it different to people who post Ole out? I want Ronaldo to be a bench player that comes off the bench and scores a headed goal in the last 30.

If you are happy with his performances then talk about his great bits.

Real Name

You hurt? I see a problem and I want to post because I want to sort it out. How is it different to people who post Ole out? I want Ronaldo to be a bench player that comes off the bench bench scores a headed goal in the last 30.

If you are happy with his performances then talk about his great bits.
I'm not hurt, I just made a conclusion, dont worry.

I can see you see a problem clearly. You made that obvious.

snk123

Yes, and I've watched them enough in the last couple of years that I know that they can do basic defending.
:lol:

I really have no words. Ofcourse they can do basic defending but they were at fault for nearly all of the goals and both have a tendency to switch off. You're here rambling about our #9 when we concede 5 goals and you're the intelligent one. Got it.

EtH

Not sure about other metrics, but considering Greenwood has a grand total of 0 assists this season and usually opts to shoot from tight angles instead of making the pass or cross, his general play couldn’t have been as good as you’re making it out to be.
Unlucky to not have a handful of assists to his name this season. Bruno missed yet another sitter he set up at the weekend. It has been a trend this season. And yes he has been our best attacker so far and that is largely down to his overall play. He was the only one capable of keeping the ball against Liverpool and has shown more composure and quality in our build up play than anyone this season by far.

MrEleson

Juventus didn't need to, as far as I knew they played strike partnership who would block the CB'S switching play that a single player can't do without actually pressing.
In his first season there they played a 4-3-3 with him starting from the LW.

Deery

Dreary
1 goal vs Qatar
0 vs Belgium
2 penalties vs France

So that’s 8 goals in the last how many internationals? The bastard!

captaincantona

So you pick and choose who you consider a PL team now? And you aren’t even taking into consideration the few games Ronaldo has even been here what is it about 10 or so but he already has a collection of goals to criticise whereas Sancho a £75m attacker has the grand total of zero goals or assists.
stop defending him for the sake of it and reason the situation- playground arguements of “well he isn’t as bad as Sancho and HE cost xyz”...

Engage with the actual arguement. The game is all contextual. Ronaldo has those goals because why? Because the team has changed the way our forward line operates to accommodate him...can we agree? Can you honestly say we would have needed his last minute winners if we had set up differently to begin with? There is zero evidence to suggest he has made us a better team and huge evidence to the contrary.

The question is not whether or not Ronaldo has done what you would expect Ronaldo to do which is - score goals. He has.

The question is whether or not he is a luxury we can afford against top (Liverpool) and ever decent (Leicester/Atalanta)? Well drilled and organised teams function almost exclusively on staying compact out of possession. Not leaving gaps. In possession it’s about numerical advantage- whether building From the back or breaking. At its essence it’s that straightforward and simple. Different tactics sure but still the same basic idea.

now, Ronaldo is non existent out of possession. The stats are there for all to see. He is an 18 yard box player in possession. So essentially, we are playing with 10 men out of possession. Against sides we can dominate it isn’t an issue because of the majority of the time we have the ball. Against any side that can competently play out from the back...we will struggle...against top sides we get mauled. It is 100% due to trying to integrate a player who offers nothing out of possession.

This is evidenced bythe fact that even with our poor pressing last season we still looked solid enough- because the basics were there- compact shape and numerical equality. Ronaldo takes that away.

Mickson

I really have no words. Ofcourse they can do basic defending but they were at fault for nearly all of the goals and both have a tendency to switch off. You're here rambling about our #9 when we concede 5 goals and you're the intelligent one. Got it.
They can do basic defending if the team is set up in a sustainable way. Ronaldo can't do basic defending, regardless of how you set up. But it's okay if you are a fanboy, I might have been one too if I was 13.

KeanoMagicHat

So you’re criticising him for what exactly scoring just the two goals or setting the international goal scoring record I’m not sure.
I was adding the context to the game, which showed the same problems that United are having from general play with Bruno and Ronaldo on the same pitch.

Bebestation

So that’s 8 goals in the last how many internationals? The bastard!
Absolutely nothing non penalty against Big teams. 4 of his goals are penalties. 4 normal goals against some very very piss easy teams, even these are single goals a match vs Qatar and Luxembourg. Not a hattrick/duo player anymore. I see it in his finishing, shots straight at the keeper when he should be finishing it better for a "poacher". Again I don't mind him being a player of our squad - not seeing the oh let's build our team around a 36 year old version of Ronaldo stuff. Too many weaknesses now, so off his peak.

Real Name

If a player plays as a LW he doesnt need to contribute to pressing but needs to if he's a striker. Am I getting this right.

Also we were solid enough last year? Last year we had nearly the same point tally after 9 games as this season and got a few pastings too along the way. All the while Ronaldo who apparently made us a lot worse wasnt there.

snk123

Prime Cavani wasn’t stopping that horror show on Sunday. I’d love Ronaldo to press more but feck me, people are looking for answers in the wrong places.
Why do you think that is though? Agenda? Some people said Ronaldo won't suit us and they want to show they were right? It's really bizarre.

Real Name

Why do you think that is though? Agenda? Some people said Ronaldo won't suit us and they want to show they were right? It's really bizarre.
Yup, some have taken the task of proving how bad of a move Ronaldo was no matter what.

snk123

They can do basic defending if the team is set up in a sustainable way. Ronaldo can't do basic defending, regardless of how you set up. But it's okay if you are a fanboy, I might have been one too if I was 13.
No you're clueless. Only an idiot would see the match and blame Ronaldo for any of what happened. #9 should be good at defending is a ridiculous idea.

And I'm no where near a fan boy. People call me a Martial fan boy though and that's the exact same treatment he got. Our problems don't lie at our #9 position.

Deery

Dreary

stop defending him for the sake of it and reason the situation- playground arguements of “well he isn’t as bad as Sancho and HE cost xyz”...

Engage with the actual arguement. The game is all contextual. Ronaldo has those goals because why? Because the team has changed the way our forward line operates to accommodate him...can we agree? Can you honestly say we would have needed his last minute winners if we had set up differently to begin with? There is zero evidence to suggest he has made us a better team and huge evidence to the contrary.

The question is not whether or not Ronaldo has done what you would expect Ronaldo to do which is - score goals. He has.

The question is whether or not he is a luxury we can afford against top (Liverpool) and ever decent (Leicester/Atalanta)? Well drilled and organised teams function almost exclusively on staying compact out of possession. Not leaving gaps. In possession it’s about numerical advantage- whether building From the back or breaking. At its essence it’s that straightforward and simple. Different tactics sure but still the same basic idea.

now, Ronaldo is non existent out of possession. The stats are there for all to see. He is an 18 yard box player in possession. So essentially, we are playing with 10 men out of possession. Against sides we can dominate it isn’t an issue because of the majority of the time we have the ball. Against any side that can competently play out from the back...we will struggle...against top sides we get mauled. It is 100% due to trying to integrate a player who offers nothing out of possession.

This is evidenced bythe fact that even with our poor pressing last season we still looked solid enough- because the basics were there- compact shape and numerical equality. Ronaldo takes that away.
Blatant lie, Ronaldo was all over the pitch against Atalanta pressing from the front and defending his own box and we still conceded 2 simple goals that AGAIN had nothing to do with Ronaldo but that doesn’t fit your narrative.

MrEleson

Is this only a situation unique to United? Why didn’t these glaring issues come up with him at Juve or even Madrid when they were playing teams superior to Liverpool on Sunday in the latter stages of the CL?

MrEleson

That's why then, he started from the LW - he doesn't effect the ball playing CB'S.
I still don’t quite get what point you’re trying to make. We’re talking about his pressing and how his low effort in this regard supposedly puts his team at a tactical disadvantage.

Deery

Dreary
Absolutely nothing non penalty against Big teams. 4 of his goals are penalties. 4 normal goals against some very very piss easy teams, even these are single goals a match vs Qatar and Luxembourg. Not a hattrick/duo player anymore. I see it in his finishing, shots straight at the keeper when he should be finishing it better for a "poacher". Again I don't mind him being a player of our squad - not seeing the oh let's build our team around a 36 year old version of Ronaldo stuff. Too many weaknesses now, so off his peak.
You’re talking through your arse now sir, after the fancy videos you don’t have much going for your argument. In international football the chances against the top teams are few and far between and it’s Ronaldo’s job to put the ball in the back of the net which he has done.

captaincantona

You’re here defending a number 9 like his only role is to be Ronaldo! He is part of a team! Because he doesn’t do what is basically expected of EVERY other top striker in the world the balance of the team is thrown out of whack. Wide forward unsure whether to hold or press if the striker doesn’t trigger the press, sometimes the wide forward triggers the press and Bruno has to try cover Ronaldo. When the wide forward has to trigger the full backs push on to cover the opposing full backs...we are half a team down within 3 passes! Why??? Because there is no balance! Why? Because against any top side, playing with ten men out of possession is like giving them an extra player.

stop defending a person. Analyse the system. If it makes you feel any better- it’s not Ronaldo’s fault either...it’s Ole’s and the clubs fault for making him undroppable and some sort of saviour figure. There is no team in the world that accomadte him and win things unless he comes off the bench when teams are tired and we are pushing for goals. The game is looser then and we play to his strengths.

Mickson

No you're clueless. Only an idiot would see the match and blame Ronaldo for any of what happened. #9 should be good at defending is a ridiculous idea.

And I'm no where near a fan boy. People call me a Martial fan boy though and that's the exact same treatment he got. Our problems don't lie at our #9 position.
Only an idiot won't admit that we are a worse team with Ronaldo in it. You know that you can blame several players and staff after a 5-0 loss at home to our biggest rivals, right? Ronaldo was one problem (and is one), Ole is another etc.

Bebestation

It's like people have started to believe that Klopps team's gegenpressing is the only way pressing exists :lol: damn. Utter clueless.

Bebestation

You’re talking through your arse now sir, after the fancy videos you don’t have much going for your argument. In international football the chances against the top teams are few and far between and it’s Ronaldo’s job to put the ball in the back of the net which he has done.
Your sniffing Ronaldo's arse - what did you just say in this post? His job is to put the ball in the net :lol: he could do it better, more to that than a striker anyway.

captaincantona

He was winning things for fun at Madrid, playing practically the same way in his last 3 years there.
Bullshit straight out. His level has dropped significantly since Madrid. He gets involved much less outside the box and gets on the ball much less.

KeanoMagicHat

Is this only a situation unique to United? Why didn’t these glaring issues come up with him at Juve or even Madrid when they were playing teams superior to Liverpool on Sunday in the latter stages of the CL?
Juventus lost to Lyon, Ajax and Porto in the Champions League, it was a somewhat noticeable issue. As for Real, they had a system in place for years and also when Ronaldo left Real Madrid he was 33, the same age as Benzema and Lewandowski now and somewhere near the peak of his powers. There's a big difference between 33 and 36 in football, and also 3 years is a long time in football. Three years ago Dele Alli was worth £150 million.

Bebestation

He was winning things for fun at Madrid, playing practically the same way in his last 3 years there.
He was not a striker at Real Madrid, Benzema was. If Ronaldo could play LW then this problem with pressing wouldn't exist because Cavani would be playing ST - but why can't he play LW his best position? Because he is old.

Deery

Dreary
Your sniffing Ronaldo's arse - what did you just say in this post? His job is to put the ball in the net :lol: he could do it better, more to that than a striker anyway.
Your argument has turned from Ronaldo doesn’t press so that’s why we leaked 5 goals, which is bullshit to he can’t score hat tricks anymore which is laughable because unless you’re like Salah in the form of your life hat tricks are really hard come by but I think Ronaldo can still bag one this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.