Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deery

Dreary
Likewise. You know crap all about football.

You are more influenced by a PR team than tactics.
Here’s pressing made simple since you love videos if Bruno gets ahead of Ronaldo the whole thing collapses. Ronaldo only has to press a little anyway.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Here’s pressing made simple since you love videos if Bruno gets ahead of Ronaldo the whole thing collapses. Ronaldo only has to press a little anyway.

God you messed up your own posts.

Video talks about how number 9 is important in the press. Hey not if its Ronaldo.

It's zonal. Hey not if it's Ronaldo because he isn't Zonal to block off the two centre backs - he plays at a LF area because he was never a pure ST so he gets the Zonal wrong and plays at an angle that opens up the Zonal blocking because he doesn't press.

Sorry - your videos highlighted that you were wrong and Ronaldo isn't doing enough.

Literally talks about how the number 9 should be putting pressure on the CB'S- he doesn't do it. He messes up the press.

plex

Ronaldo is not as good as he used to be, but blaming him for the current mess is hilarious. Is it Ronaldo's fault, that ManUtd cannot defend at all? A club like ManUtd should have an elite manager, with a clear and understandable concept. Solskjær is a nice guy, but imho an average manager. But it's also not just Solskjær's fault, I'm sure he didn't tell to the players to act like headless chicken or to Luke Shaw to have an off-day.

Deery

Dreary
God you messed up your own posts.

Video talks about how number 9 is important in the press. Hey not if its Ronaldo.

It's zonal. Hey not if it's Ronaldo because he isn't Zonal to block off the two centre backs - he plays at a LF area because he was never a pure ST so he gets the Zonal wrong and plays at an angle that opens up the Zonal blocking because he doesn't press.

Sorry - your videos highlighted that you were wrong and Ronaldo isn't doing enough.

Literally talks about how the number 9 should be putting pressure on the CB'S- he doesn't do it. He messes up the press.
What you are saying is literally balls just the same as it’s balls that Bruno plays deeper, you think Ronaldo is playing LW? When he is the centre forward, you made a post earlier about Ronaldo not pressing square on and from the side which is totally wrong.

If Ronaldo were to just stand there putting in a little press the press still works, you think because he isn’t running 100 miles a hour harassing and jockeying defenders he’s not pressing.

You said earlier that Greenwood had to push up to press because Ronaldo came in from the side when that’s exactly what he should have done and AWB pushed up because that’s what he should have done if they can’t get in tackles that’s a different story.

You are proved wrong everything you say and still think Ronaldo is to blame delusional.

captaincantona

Ronaldo is not as good as he used to be, but blaming him for the current mess is hilarious. Is it Ronaldo's fault, that ManUtd cannot defend at all? A club like ManUtd should have an elite manager, with a clear and understandable concept. Solskjær is a nice guy, but imho an average manager. But it's also not just Solskjær's fault, I'm sure he didn't tell to the players to act like headless chicken or to Luke Shaw to have an off-day.
It’s this generalised oversight bullshit that irritates me. At least get the arguement right.

Ronaldo Fanboys- Ronny is the least of our worries. How is he responsible for us being shite at the back? Sure he is scoring goals!

Reasonable people- We were shit before. No doubt. But we had a formation that could contain and sometimes counter decent/top sides. Our performances have been awful for years- but getting exposed the way we have been at Leicester, Atalanta and Liverpool is new. That is because, as pointed out by numerous posters and video analysis- pressing high, even bad pressing, starts with a trigger and is followed by EVERY player knowing their role from that point. If one person doesn’t do it, it’s easily exploited and played around. By playing with Ronaldo, we are down a man out of possession- knock on effect is that our whole shape is trying to compensate for that missing piece and it’s not possible.

That ain’t Ronaldo’s fault. That’s on the gaffer. He is trying to have his cake and eat it...keep the formation he wants notwithstanding the fact that Ronaldo can’t be accommodated. And Leicester, Atalanta and Liverpool are the result.

And to beat the lads in red and green Viva Ronaldo spandex catsuits to the punch- let’s discuss examples of where we were “overrun” previously prior to Ronaldo? I heard someone mention Spurs 6-1...exactly...we were down to ten men...throw a few more out there...actually back up your point. Even when we were beaten well...we were not “overrun” in the manner we have been against these few decent teams while playing this bullshit 4-2-4 madness. Even the defenders are coming out and saying publicly something is not right!
Against, not Ronnys fault but Ole’s.

Last edited:

Chief123

I dont understand why its difficult to acknowlege that having bought the oldest poorest version of Ronaldo is problematic. You could say with lack of great strikers in their prime we didnt have much of a chance but he turned out to be a panic buy above anything else. Chicharito was a great poacher for us, but he was also freaking fast.
Bit of an exaggeration. Hernandez wasn't that quick.

Bebestation

What you are saying is literally balls just the same as it’s balls that Bruno plays deeper, you think Ronaldo is playing LW? When he is the centre forward, you made a post earlier about Ronaldo not pressing square on and from the side which is totally wrong.

If Ronaldo were to just stand there putting in a little press the press still works, you think because he isn’t running 100 miles a hour harassing and jockeying defenders he’s not pressing.

You said earlier that Greenwood had to push up to press because Ronaldo came in from the side when that’s exactly what he should have done and AWB pushed up because that’s what he should have done if they can’t get in tackles that’s a different story.

You are proved wrong everything you say and still think Ronaldo is to blame delusional.
You showed a video that shows where the number 9 should position when the opposition defenders have the ball and what happens when he doesn't position or put any pressure on the central defenders. When play a 4231 the player closest to the ball has to put pressure and when it is the opposition CB'S- the one who should put pressure is Ronaldo and he does absolutely nothing. Zero. 3.5 pressures per bloody PL game.

So you put another video for me that shows exactly that Ronaldo's lack of pressing is causing us a problem.

That is all.

Thanks for helping me.

Chief123

Probably would have if we kept him as our main goalscorer like last season than rather than turning him to be our creator from deep who has started to cross the ball to Ronaldo like he is Beckham every chance be gets.

Bruno's through balls, runs in to the box, finishes and his penalties have all gone or significantly halved.

We currently see the Portugal version of Bruno. The deeper one.
You must be watching totally different games if you think Bruno is playing deeper this season. He absolutely is not. In fact, he's playing higher up than he ever has for us which is part of the problem. More often than not he is our second striker if not the most furthest forward. Ole has even signalled before games he's playing with 4 up front like he said before Atlanta game.

If anything, we need Bruno to come deeper and get involved closer to the 2 holding midfielders.

Deery

Dreary
You showed a video that shows where the number 9 should position when the opposition defenders have the ball and what happens when he doesn't position or put any pressure on the central defenders. When play a 4231 the player closest to the ball has to put pressure and when it is the opposition CB'S- the one who should put pressure is Ronaldo and he does absolutely nothing. Zero. 3.5 pressures per bloody PL game.

So you put another video for me that shows exactly that Ronaldo's lack of pressing is causing us a problem.

That is all.

Thanks for helping me.
I’d love to know your idea of pressing to say Ronaldo doesn’t press at all is a lie.

You haven’t even addressed what your shitty video was saying about Ronaldo putting Greenwood under pressure when that’s exactly how a press works.

You also haven’t answered why you think Bruno pressing the keeper or centre backs is a good idea when it opens up all the passing lanes through midfield.

Ronaldo isn’t going to press at 100 mph but he still presses and even if that was the case that the centre backs got past him I didn’t see VVD or Konate running past him and causing overload on Sunday just a pass into midfield which should be dealt with.

Sviken

It’s this generalised oversight bullshit that irritates me. At least get the arguement right.

Ronaldo Fanboys- Ronny is the least of our worries. How is he responsible for us being shite at the back? Sure he is scoring goals!

Reasonable people- We were shit before. No doubt. But we had a formation that could contain and sometimes counter decent/top sides. Our performances have been awful for years- but getting exposed the way we have been at Leicester, Atalanta and Liverpool is new. That is because, as pointed out by numerous posters and video analysis- pressing high, even bad pressing, starts with a trigger and is followed by EVERY player knowing their role from that point. If one person doesn’t do it, it’s easily exploited and played around. By playing with Ronaldo, we are down a man out of possession- knock on effect is that our whole shape is trying to compensate for that missing piece and it’s not possible.

That ain’t Ronaldo’s fault. That’s on the gaffer. He is trying to have his cake and eat it...keep the formation he wants notwithstanding the fact that Ronaldo can’t be accommodated. And Leicester, Atalanta and Liverpool are the result.
That's ridiculous. We got trounced by Mourinho's Spurs 6-1. When was Ronaldo then? Even our high workrate players (I wouldn't call them pressing because it is not anything resembling pressing) like Bruno and Cavani look like blind donkeys when they run around the field. Pressing is an established system, ingrained into the players by the coaching. It's not something that a single individual does. Ronaldo ran his ass off in the Atalanta game and we were still shit. Greenwood ran against Liverpool and we were still shit. Not only we were shit, but the chaotic "pressing" system left us exposed and Liverpool scored easy 3 past us. You simply can't blame the players for our non-existent pressing system. This isn't Sunday league amateur football with the lads from the pub. Let's say Ronaldo starts pressing non-stop. What does that change? Nothing. Because in order to have an effective press you'd have to have your entire team know when to press, when to back off, when to leave their positions, when to switch positions, when to compensate for a player going out of position, etc. It's not something that is reliant on a player's workrate or how often a player can run. Even in a heavy pressing system Ronaldo as a striker wouldn't even run all that much, but we do not employ anything resembling to a pressing system. We're simply freestyling games in which Bruno or whoever, due to their natural understandings of the game, do whatever they like on the pitch.

RepardReece

That is all.

Thanks for helping me.
I mean, even many people on one thread you created the other day proved that this is the least of our worries right now.

Even with Cavani over Ronaldo last season, we struggled. But then again, you seemed to just ignore those comments so what is the point.

Here, I'll reiterate that point for you: "We conceded 4 against Liverpool in the same fixture last season (which everyone seems to have forgotten about) with Cavani playing up top and Maguire injured… We also nearly shipped about 7 against Roma away around the same time, also with Cavani playing & “pressing” like mad from the front so, yeah… no, I’m not buying it."

I'll reiterate my point too, we'd be on 2 points in the CL without Ronaldo, in big trouble.

You'll probably just ignore this post.

captaincantona

That's ridiculous. We got trounced by Mourinho's Spurs 6-1. When was Ronaldo then? Even our high workrate players (I wouldn't call them pressing because it is not anything resembling pressing) like Bruno and Cavani look like blind donkeys when they run around the field. Pressing is an established system, ingrained into the players by the coaching. It's not something that a single individual does. Ronaldo ran his ass off in the Atalanta game and we were still shit. Greenwood ran against Liverpool and we were still shit. Not only we were shit, but the chaotic "pressing" system left us exposed and Liverpool scored easy 3 past us. You simply can't blame the players for our non-existent pressing system. This isn't Sunday league amateur football with the lads from the pub. Let's say Ronaldo starts pressing non-stop. What does that change? Nothing. Because in order to have an effective press you'd have to have your entire team know when to press, when to back off, when to leave their positions, when to switch positions, when to compensate for a player going out of position, etc. It's not something that is reliant on a player's workrate or how often a player can run. Even in a heavy pressing system Ronaldo as a striker wouldn't even run all that much, but we do not employ anything resembling to a pressing system. We're simply freestyling games in which Bruno or whoever, due to their natural understandings of the game, do whatever they like on the pitch.
Read my post again...we had ten men against spurs and you are making my point for me!!!! I already said playing Ronny is as good as having 10 men out of possession. But I also said thats not on Ronny...I said it’s trying to press in a 4-2-4 formation...and that it’s on Ole. I also said that the reason Ole plays that way is because he is trying to compensate for the fact that Ronny can’t press! I am also sick to fuking death of people pointing at the Atalanta game with Ronny tainted glasses...he did fuk all that game until he scored and then made some token gesture back tracking-Fair play to him!Ole highlighted it in the press for exactly that reason...so people like you would think accommodating Ronaldo isn’t a huge problem ...and it worked....someone find me a video of all his movements against Atalanta and if I’m wrong I will NEVER visit redcafe again.....He was not closing down or pressing against Atalanta at all...half arsed three yard sprints in the general direction of the guy with the ball don’t count if you stop just before you get there and throw your hands up in frustration!

Go on...one other game prior to the last 3 where we have been cut through and over run like the last 3? Just one...back up your point...just one???

Last edited:

Bebestation

I’d love to know your idea of pressing to say Ronaldo doesn’t press at all is a lie.

You haven’t even addressed what your shitty video was saying about Ronaldo putting Greenwood under pressure when that’s exactly how a press works.

You also haven’t answered why you think Bruno pressing the keeper or centre backs is a good idea when it opens up all the passing lanes through midfield.

Ronaldo isn’t going to press at 100 mph but he still presses and even if that was the case that the centre backs got past him I didn’t see VVD or Konate running past him and causing overload on Sunday just a pass into midfield which should be dealt with.
And again this is bull shit. He presses 3.5 times a game that is not enough. Lowest in the league is a highlight of this.

The reason Bruno goes to press the CB'S is because if no one does then the CB's have all the time in the world to start picking passes at ease - the alternative to this is for ALL of our team to sit back and defend whilst we purely play on the counter so that it blocks all ability for the ball players to pick anything out.

Sure we can do that vs Liverpool but not against some of the other teams we play and sit back to Everton or Leicester City.

Anyway, I'm not changing your mind and your not changing mind.

I'm just glad I've got couple of videos up showing some proof, some stats that is also proof and you also put a 4231 pressing pattern video to show how we should press and how Ronaldo our Number 9 does not press.

Hopefully people might see it a bit more now whilst we play some more games so Jognaldo is told to be - well, Runaldo.

Take care.

Kostov

Can't you bloody see how it's stupid to ask other players to press on behalf of your GOAT?

Now let me educate you again. Because you seem to know feck all about football. For the last time because I see no point in continuing this discussion with you.
There's always someone like you needing to educate others about football and your supposedly superior knowledge of it. It's pretty fecking simple, you don't need to go into mental gymnastics to explain pressing or the lack of it because of Ronaldo. Why were we absolute shit at pressing last season as well? What highline pressing of last season? We conceded 44 goals last season without Ronaldo, conceded more shots then any of the big clubs, our GK had 30 more saves to do than the City one. And you talk about how good we were at pressing last season?

If you have any basic knowledge about football you'd know a highline would never work without a high pressing system. Why? Because with a highline you leave a huge space behind your defensive line. If you allow the opponent to freely play out from their back, and build up their play you're in serious trouble. One pass to their quick forward into the space behind the defensive line and you're more than often dead. The whole purpose of a high pressing system is to prevent that to happen.

Not just the goals from our pressing and quick transition last season. We started to play with a highline from last season. Without a high pressing system we won't finish second. It'll be more a bloodbath every matches we played, just like yesterday. A highline without any high pressing.

Anyway I'll call this a day with the Ronaldo fanboies. Especially with you, my brain hursts having this discussion.
Considering your basic knowledge of football, can you please specify why did we concede 8 fecking shots on target vs Liverpool on the 13th of May 2021? Was it because of Ronaldo? Or was is because we pressed so well without him? On that day we only conceded 4 goals and Liverpool's defense was consisted of Rhys Williams and Nathaniel Phillips at CB, so we managed to score 2 goals. We conceded the same amount of shots this weekend if I am not mistaken.

Sviken

Read my post again...we had ten men against spurs and you are making my point for me!!!! I said it’s not on Ronny...I said it’s trying to press in a 4-2-4 formation...and that it’s on Ole. I also said that the reason Ole plays that way is because he is trying to compensate for the fact that Ronny can’t press! I am also sick to fuking death of people pointing at the Atalanta game with Ronny tainted glasses...he did fuk all that game until he scored and then made some token gesture back tracking-Fair play to him!Ole highlighted it in the press for exactly that reason...so people like you would think accommodating Ronaldo isn’t a huge problem ...and it worked....someone find me a video of all his movements against Atalanta and if I’m wrong I will NEVER visit redcafe again.....He was not closing down or pressing against Atalanta at all...half arsed three yard sprints in the general direction of the guy with the ball don’t count if you stop just before you get there and throw your hands up in frustration!

Go on...one other game prior to the last 3 where we have been cut through and over run like the last 3? Just one...back up your point...just one???
Chelsea had ten men against Liverpool and they didn't do so badly, did they? That's no excuse. It's funny because Chelsea also have the same low pressing striker, yet they're top of the league with the least amount of goals conceded. Funny. Anyway, how is Ole trying to compensate for Ronaldo by trying to do something he (Ole) is not really known for, nor Ronaldo really? You don't make any sense. We've been average with Ole when we've played a "10 men behind the goal-line, then hit on the break" football. Him trying to play pressing football simply makes no sense when we've never been that side to begin with. As far as Ronaldo vs Atalanta, I don't know what game you've watched. He did a lot that day. Ran, was opening himself to passes, created goalscoring opportunities, missed some very good goalscoring opportunities. All around a good performance. Everything you'd want in a striker, even though that is not his preferred role. And I fail to see what would qualify a player to be a great "presser" for you. What do you exactly expect from Ronaldo? Because Bruno runs around like a headless chicken all the time. What does that do for us, exactly? And I genuinely do not understand the criticism that Ronaldo doesn't press like he is the only one not to do it. Who from our team presses even remotely?

Deery

Dreary
And again this is bull shit. He presses 3.5 times a game that is not enough. Lowest in the league is a highlight of this.

The reason Bruno goes to press the CB'S is because if no one does then the CB's have all the time in the world to start picking passes at ease - the alternative to this is for ALL of our team to sit back and defend whilst we purely play on the counter so that it blocks all ability for the ball players to pick anything out.

Sure we can do that vs Liverpool but not against some of the other teams we play and sit back to Everton or Leicester City.

I'm just glad I've got couple of videos up showing some proof, some stats that is also proof and you also put a 4231 pressing pattern video to show how we should press and how Ronaldo our Number 9 does not press.

Hopefully people might see it a bit more now whilst we play some more games so Jognaldo is told to be - well, Runaldo.

Take care.
Yeah I can see there isn’t much chance of changing your mind even though the defending has been shocking even before Ronaldo got here and the fact you use the phrase Jogaldo just cements my idea that you think pressing is Wayne Rooney running about like a nutter diving in everywhere when it’s not.

Take care.

captaincantona

Chelsea had ten men against Liverpool and they didn't do so badly, did they? That's no excuse. It's funny because Chelsea also have the same low pressing striker, yet they're top of the league with the least amount of goals conceded. Funny. Anyway, how is Ole trying to compensate for Ronaldo by trying to do something he (Ole) is not really known for, nor Ronaldo really? You don't make any sense. We've been average with Ole when we've played a "10 men behind the goal-line, then hit on the break" football. Him trying to play pressing football simply makes no sense when we've never been that side to begin with. As far as Ronaldo vs Atalanta, I don't know what game you've watched. He did a lot that day. Ran, was opening himself to passes, created goalscoring opportunities, missed some very good goalscoring opportunities. All around a good performance. Everything you'd want in a striker, even though that is not his preferred role. And I fail to see what would qualify a player to be a great "presser" for you. What do you exactly expect from Ronaldo? Because Bruno runs around like a headless chicken all the time. What does that do for us, exactly? And I genuinely do not understand the criticism that Ronaldo doesn't press like he is the only one not to do it. Who from our team presses even remotely?
Now you’re embarrassing yourself....I ask you for one game as an example and you quote Chelsea, a completely different team with a top coach...you are proving my point for me my friend!

Chelsea with a low pressing striker? Chelsea play a 3-4-3, out of possession, their 3rd attacker, Mount or Havertz or other drops in to make it a midfield 5 and two strikers narrow the centre backs options. There is LITTERALLY a video on Tuchels 3-4-3 on the internet...how it differs from Contes..go watch it instead of ranting points you haven’t fully thought out yet.

you still don’t get it. If you play with Ronaldo...you need a formation out of possession that can handle the fact he does fuk all!!! Ole doesn’t do that...and against the top sides in the world (like Liverpool) football is as simple as numerical advantage in order to pass around the opponent and I would argue that playing with Ronaldo (current version) against a top side is only ever going to result in embarrassment because when they have possession you are down to ten men.

Sviken

Now you’re embarrassing yourself....I ask you for one game as an example and you quote Chelsea, a completely different team with a top coach...you are proving my point for me my friend!

Chelsea with a low pressing striker? Chelsea play a 3-4-3, out of possession, their 3rd attacker, Mount or Havertz or other drops in to make it a midfield 5 and two strikers narrow the centre backs options. There is LITTERALLY a video on Tuchels 3-4-3 on the internet...how it differs from Contes..go watch it instead of ranting points you haven’t fully thought out yet.

you still don’t get it. If you play with Ronaldo...you need a formation out of possession that can handle the fact he does fuk all!!! Ole doesn’t do that...and against the top sides in the world (like Liverpool) football is as simple as numerical advantage in order to pass around the opponent and I would argue that playing with Ronaldo (current version) against a top side is only ever going to result in embarrassment because when they have possession you are down to ten men.
At this point I have zero idea what you're arguing on. Whether Ole is shit, whether Ronaldo doesn't work, whether we press or not, what? First off, the whole thing started when you claimed that Ronaldo doesn't press and it's like playing 10 men down. I explained to you that pressing is not something an individual player does. Then I gave you the Spurs game as an example that we were shit at -football, let alone pressing way before Ronaldo came here. Then you argued that we played against Spurs with 10 men and that's an excuse to why we got our ass whooped, never mind that last season we were beyond bad and were basically bailed by Rashford and Bruno's individual qualities for most of it. Okay, whatever. I gave you an example with another team, very similar to us, that went against a far better team than Spurs with ten men and contained them no problem with a striker who presses just about as much as Ronaldo. And now you're saying I have no idea what I'm talking about because Tuchel is a more competent manager than Ole. Well, sound the alarms... what a revelation. Don't you think the whole team, let alone Ronaldo would play a lot better with a competent manager that knows what he is doing? Say Conte, for example? "Oh Chelsea play a different system"... Yeah? A system that Tuchel switched to get the best out of his players?

captaincantona

At this point I have zero idea what you're arguing on. Whether Ole is shit, whether Ronaldo doesn't work, whether we press or not, what? First off, the whole thing started when you claimed that Ronaldo doesn't press and it's like playing 10 men down. I explained to you that pressing is not something an individual player does. Then I gave you the Spurs game as an example that we were shit at -football, let alone pressing way before Ronaldo came here. Then you argued that we played against Spurs with 10 men and that's an excuse to why we got our ass whooped, never mind that last season we were beyond bad and were basically bailed by Rashford and Bruno's individual qualities for most of it. Okay, whatever. I gave you an example with another team, very similar to us, that went against a far better team than Spurs with ten men and contained them no problem with a striker who presses just about as much as Ronaldo. And now you're saying I have no idea what I'm talking about because Tuchel is a more competent manager than Ole. Well, sound the alarms... what a revelation. Don't you think the whole team, let alone Ronaldo would play a lot better with a competent manager that knows what he is doing? Say Conte, for example? "Oh Chelsea play a different system"... Yeah? A system that Tuchel switched to get the best out of his players?
Not making sense pal...it’s simple...name a game...in which we got played through so blatantly time and time again...where we had 11 v 11? If you can’t then I make the very fair and reasonable assumption that the tactics we employed against Atalanta and Leicester and Liverpool - to accommodate Ronaldo- were the reason for being cut to shreds. Why? Cause playing with the GOAT is like playing with 10 men out of possession. He is beyond useless!!!!

Ronaldo can’t press, Ole’s solution is an awful bastard of a formation. If he wants to play that way, we need a mobile front 3.

go on anyway...nice trading blows with you but I only have one post left for the day and I have to save that for when ole gets sacked later!

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I think all teams should use tactics where, if one guy doesn't do a great job at them, the entire system collapses. That sounds desireable.

You should also design cars where, if one bolt fails, the entire thing explodes. I'd drive them.

RepardReece

Take care.
Yes, he doesn't press. That video on the Liverpool game is totally pointless as it still would not have changed the outcome of the goals even if he did press:
  1. The first came from some muppetry by Greenwood and AWB causing the whole defence to shift over and create space for Liverpool, and our midfield not coming back to cover for the open space either.
  2. Shaw and Maguire messing around
  3. Easy passing lines around the edge of the box, and an unlucky deflection followed by our defence not reacting to that deflection fast enough. Fred not aware of the open space behind him as Shaw gets pulled to far to the center
  4. Terrible defending, unable to tackle and Shaw leaving space at the back post for Salah, unaware of his surroundings. Rashford not tracking back or spotting Salah either and just walking.
  5. Pogba was easily dispossessed and a great assist by Henderson.
What do you expect from Ronaldo for any of those goals? Him to rush all the way back in defence to create a back 5? Muppet commentary by yourself.

If Ronaldo not pressing is such an issue, how does he have 5 CLs? How does Messi have 3 CLs when he doesn't press either? I know the game as evolved over time and pressing is more important in today's game, but they have never pressed and never will and a manager should know that, and play to the strengths of his players. Moreover, as per reports players where not happy about playing a pressing game against Liverpool as they have barely practiced this in training at all.

United are not a pressing team and our tactics are all over the place, this is not an issue right now at all.

Sviken

Not making sense pal...it’s simple...name a game...in which we got played through so blatantly time and time again...where we had 11 v 11? If you can’t then I make the very fair and reasonable assumption that the tactics we employed against Atalanta and Leicester and Liverpool - to accommodate Ronaldo- were the reason for being cut to shreds. Why? Cause playing with the GOAT is like playing with 10 men out of possession. He is beyond useless!!!!

Ronaldo can’t press, Ole’s solution is an awful bastard of a formation. If he wants to play that way, we need a mobile front 3.

go on anyway...nice trading blows with you but I only have one post left for the day and I have to save that for when ole gets sacked later!
You don't need to look very far, mate. Wolves absolutely obliterated us and we were lucky not to be 3-0 down by half-time. We won the game from like one shot on target, sure, but we were absolutely outplayed. How is Ronaldo at fault for that result, remind me again? And I have to say you've obviously never watched Ronaldo play after he left us if you think Ole's tactics are trying to accommodate Ronaldo. For one, I'm going to explain this to you very simple - Ronaldo has never played as a lone striker, neither in a poacher role. Neither with us with Fergie, neither at Real, nor at Juve. This is pure Ole masterclass.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think most would agree Wolves this season cut through us repeatedly, we got a bit lucky beating them and I’m pretty sure that’s before Ronaldo was even here.

captaincantona

You don't need to look very far, mate. Wolves absolutely obliterated us and we were lucky not to be 3-0 down by half-time. We won the game from like one shot on target, sure, but we were absolutely outplayed. How is Ronaldo at fault for that result, remind me again? And I have to say you've obviously never watched Ronaldo play after he left us if you think Ole's tactics are trying to accommodate Ronaldo. For one, I'm going to explain this to you very simple - Ronaldo has never played as a lone striker, neither in a poacher role. Neither with us with Fergie, neither at Real, nor at Juve. This is pure Ole masterclass.
We won that game- had 56% of possession with an 86% pass accuracy. We gave up chances ...we all have the internet...go back and watch the chances we gave up....et’s name them...first two...counter attacks. Caught on the break. Not played through at all. No press because possession was lost during our attack and wolves broke. That’s how most teams who dominate possession get caught out. Next, a cross. We weren’t played through. Second half- a corner. Unless you’re referring to the fact that Traore ran through us which he does to most teams. That is not comparable to conceding 13 goals in 3 games and seemingly having no way of stopping it!

Sviken

We won that game- had 56% of possession with an 86% pass accuracy. We gave up chances ...we all have the internet...go back and watch the chances we gave up....et’s name them...first two...counter attacks. Caught on the break. Not played through at all. No press because possession was lost during our attack and wolves broke. That’s how most teams who dominate possession get caught out. Next, a cross. We weren’t played through. Second half- a corner. Unless you’re referring to the fact that Traore ran through us which he does to most teams. That is not comparable to conceding 13 goals in 3 games and seemingly having no way of stopping it!
You have to be trolling at this point. Go rewatch the game rather than youtube highlights or whatever you're watching. Wolves dominated us completely, especially in the first half. Under any different game, the score would probably have been 3-0 for them, at the very least. And yes, Traore, in particular, cut through our midfield and defence like butter. Our results simply caught to our performances, it's as simple as that. Maybe if we met early we'd have won against Liverpool this match due to Fernandes' one shot on target. But with or without Ronaldo we have not looked convincing at all in these past 3 seasons. Last season we finished with 74 points amid Liverpool's injury crisis and Chelsea's Lampard tenure. The season before that we had 66 points. This rot and underperformance has zero to do with Ronaldo.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think it's stupid to blame Ronaldo for our woefull defensive performances, but you can still point out his limitations anyway.

bakalhau

Yes, he doesn't press. That video on the Liverpool game is totally pointless as it still would not have changed the outcome of the goals even if he did press:
  1. The first came from some muppetry by Greenwood and AWB causing the whole defence to shift over and create space for Liverpool, and our midfield not coming back to cover for the open space either.
  3. Easy passing lines around the edge of the box, and an unlucky deflection followed by our defence not reacting to that deflection fast enough. Fred not aware of the open space behind him as Shaw gets pulled to far to the center
  4. Terrible defending, unable to tackle and Shaw leaving space at the back post for Salah, unaware of his surroundings. Rashford not tracking back or spotting Salah either and just walking.
What do you expect from Ronaldo for any of those goals? Him to rush all the way back in defence to create a back 5? Muppet commentary by yourself.

If Ronaldo not pressing is such an issue, how does he have 5 CLs? How does Messi have 3 CLs when he doesn't press either? I know the game as evolved over time and pressing is more important in today's game, but they have never pressed and never will and a manager should know that, and play to the strengths of his players. Moreover, as per reports players where not happy about playing a pressing game against Liverpool as they have barely practiced this in training at all.

United are not a pressing team and our tactics are all over the place, this is not an issue right now at all.
Just to add a bit to your point - not saying I dismiss everyone's criticism/feedback on him lately here - but if the dude hadn't won anything while being the "CF to score goals that doesn't add much else", I'd be seriously doubting him right now, but then I remember how he added 2 CL to his cabinet while playing as exactly that guy in RM between 2016-2018, and that really adds a strong argument in favour of him. He has already had national and european success while being the same player he is today at Man Utd.

If that had never happened even I would be seriously doubting his ability to help the team, but as it stands... I think it's more on someone else to make it work rather than Ronnie himself.

Bebestation

How many of those CL's did he play as the number 9 forward?

You don't need to lead the bloody press as a LW :lol: this is why you see Rashford hardly doing anything also, it's not important outwide because in a 4231 the press comes from the player closest to the ball and the player closest to the opposition CB'S is not the LW but the ST. This is why a striker in a 4231 the player closest to the ball leads the press and the player closest to the ball playing defender tends to be the number 9 striker. Not with Ronaldo at United. Everywhere else he either played as a LW or when he did play as a striker - he had a striker partner who would block the ball playing ability together of the two CB'S together. 2 strikers blocking the ball playing defenders by just simply standing in their way - doesn't even have to press.

Simple.

LoneStar

Are people blaming Ronaldo for us losing games? :lol: I guess with Pogba benched, someone else needs to take the blame. If one guy not pressing leads to a 5-0 trashing, God help this team.

Anyone expecting Ronaldo to be a hard working CF, and especially at his age, when we signed him are thick. We knew exactly what kind of a player he was, has always been. Yet we signed him anyway. And now people expect him to change his style? Who sanctioned the player then? If it's Ole, and he thought he could just swap out Cavani for Ronaldo (2 very different players) then that's just incredibly stupid of him.

Lukaku hardly presses in the game too. With Chelsea, Inter and us. There are a lot of forwards who don't press a lot. You can debate that this might be detrimental to a lot of teams and set ups, but no way will it lead to leaking goals like us. The blame is soley on the shit coaching and set up we use. Our so called pressing is so random, and just leads to even more pressure on the midfield and defence.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Just to add a bit to your point - not saying I dismiss everyone's criticism/feedback on him lately here - but if the dude hadn't won anything while being the "CF to score goals that doesn't add much else", I'd be seriously doubting him right now, but then I remember how he added 2 CL to his cabinet while playing as exactly that guy in RM between 2016-2018, and that really adds a strong argument in favour of him. He has already had national and european success while being the same player he is today at Man Utd.

If that had never happened even I would be seriously doubting his ability to help the team, but as it stands... I think it's more on someone else to make it work rather than Ronnie himself.
I honestly don't believe that Ronaldo is the same player that he was at Real Madrid, but you've probably seen more of him than I have, but as fit as he is for his age there is a difference age still takes its toll.

bakalhau

You don't need to lead the bloody press as a LW :lol: this is why you see Rashford hardly doing anything also, it's not important outwide because in a 4231 the press comes from the player closest to the ball and the player closest to the opposition CB'S is not the LW but the ST. This is why a striker in a 4231 the player closest to the ball leads the press and the player closest to the ball playing defender tends to be the number 9 striker. Not with Ronaldo at United. Everywhere else he either played as a LW or when he did play as a striker - he had a striker partner who would block the ball playing ability together of the two CB'S together. 2 strikers blocking the ball playing defenders by just simply standing in their way - doesn't even have to press.

Simple.
He didn't win any as a number 9 - you're absolutely correct. He did win 2, as per my post above yours, doing the same role/job he has today. Scoring goals, participating less in the build up play, etc.
The difference between RM and Juve and remains to be seen at MU, was that Zidane was smart enough to see he didn't work as well as a number 9, he did try it, didn't work out as well, so he actually started mixing it up between a 4-3-3 with Benzema in the middle and Ronnie on the left, and actually a 4-4-2 with Ronnie and Benzema up top.

MU have Cavani to play a 4-4-2 with Ronaldo. And Cavani, IMO, shares quite a bit of traits with Benzema as well. I'm not saying it would work, but at this point I'd just like Ole to try something *different*.

Edit: Gehrman, of course, definitely agree with you there, I'm not saying he is exactly the same player physically/technically, I'm mentioning how the CR of today, the role he plays, the way he plays, the things he does or does not do anymore, were already present in his last 2 RM campaigns.

MrEleson

I honestly don't believe that Ronaldo is the same player that he was at Real Madrid, but you've probably seen more of him than I have, but as fit as he is for his age there is a difference age still takes its toll.
His last 2 RM campaigns? He absolutely is.

We were already hearing penaldo and tapinaldo shouts back then (although grossly overblown ofcourse). But RM rarely operated with a 4-3-3 back then; with Zidane choosing to utilize the 4-4-2 diamond meaning that Ronaldo played as part of a front 2 with Benzema. This switch was more to do with integrating Isco in the side when Bale was injured rather than Ronaldo becoming more limited though. It just inadvertently worked out better.

MrEleson

Simple.
So in conclusion, If Ronaldo our striker presses a little more on Sunday we don't get decimated 0-5. Nice.

Red_toad

I think it's stupid to blame Ronaldo for our woefull defensive performances, but you can still point out his limitations anyway.
We make everyone bar Cavani look shite up top for us. A decent coach would make Ronaldo more helpful to the team, but for now he's going to be very isolated and then get frustrated.

Bebestation

He didn't win any as a number 9 - you're absolutely correct. He did win 2, as per my post above yours, doing the same role/job he has today. Scoring goals, participating less in the build up play, etc.
The difference between RM and Juve and remains to be seen at MU, was that Zidane was smart enough to see he didn't work as well as a number 9, he did try it, didn't work out as well, so he actually started mixing it up between a 4-3-3 with Benzema in the middle and Ronnie on the left, and actually a 4-4-2 with Ronnie and Benzema up top.

MU have Cavani to play a 4-4-2 with Ronaldo. And Cavani, IMO, shares quite a bit of traits with Benzema as well. I'm not saying it would work, but at this point I'd just like Ole to try something *different*.

Edit: Gehrman, of course, definitely agree with you there, I'm not saying he is exactly the same player physically/technically, I'm mentioning how the CR of today, the role he plays, the way he plays, the things he does or does not do anymore, were already present in his last 2 RM campaigns.
Yes and that's what I said from the start - Ronaldo was never a ST even in his prime, to Play as a St he needs a Striking partner. He needed one at Juventus and Real Madrid. Arguably the only place he doesn't is maybe Portugal towards these last years of his international tenure as we see now.

We do this is all good but playing a 442 or a 352 is basically building the team to get the best out of Ronaldo at the age of 36 - not at the age he was at Real Madrid or Juventus, older every second.

I'm okay with him with a striking partner (because it will make up for his weaknesses and amplify his strengths) but we then potentially lose some players out of the list of Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Bruno, Pogba etc because we have started playing a striker partnership and have to balance that out. I mentioned this all earlier anyway, a striking partnership would work because it stops the two CB's freedom, but we also lose some players on the pitch.

RepardReece

You don't need to lead the bloody press as a LW
:lol: this is why you see Rashford hardly doing anything also, it's not important outwide because in a 4231 the press comes from the player closest to the ball and the player closest to the opposition CB'S is not the LW but the ST. This is why a striker in a 4231 the player closest to the ball leads the press and the player closest to the ball playing defender tends to be the number 9 striker. Not with Ronaldo at United. Everywhere else he either played as a LW or when he did play as a striker - he had a striker partner who would block the ball playing ability together of the two CB'S together. 2 strikers blocking the ball playing defenders by just simply standing in their way - doesn't even have to press.

Simple.
Madrid 16-18. 2 CLs.

Funny that actually, dismissing the need of wingers pressing and also tracking back, Liverpool's system would totally work if Salah and Mane didn't press wouldn't it. This "pressing" system needs to work as a whole, not just a striker pushing CBs for the fun of it, that'll do shit all, they can just then pass it to the RB who can then float it elsewhere, CM or wingers for example.

Anyway, then how come Cavani, who does press, doesn't affect the outcome of games?

Avoided a few of my messages when I've mentioned this. Didn't change the outcome of our games last season.

Your whole argument is torn apart when this is mentioned.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Then how come Cavani, who does press, doesn't affect the outcome of games?

Avoided a few of my messages when I've mentioned this. Didn't change the outcome of our games last season.

Your whole argument is torn apart when this is mentioned.
Like what?

People mention the 6-1 loss vs Spurs but in that game we had Martial - who to no surprise people are happy to complain about his effort as a United player and he got a red card.

The game against Liverpool we lost 4-2 with Bailly and Lindelof as our CB'S - that's hardly the same as a 5-0 loss where Liverpool were ending up playing chess with a football in the last 30 mins of the game because we literally couldn't do shit at all after the first half.

Listen - I'm not saying that we are a perfect Manchest United team with the best defensive ability and then suddenly that Ronaldo has come and this perfect defence has turned to shambles.

I'm saying that as shown in tactical videos even before Ronaldo joined, and videos nothing to do about United or Ronaldo - any club that plays a 4231 - the number 9 has to press the 2 opposition CB'S, if he can't do that; then he has to atleast position himself in front of them so the ability for them to play the ball across their defensive line stops.

If he doesn't then the opposition CB'S (say van dijk) has all the time in the world to wait until our midfield opens up to play a pass that goes straight through to their midfield.

The only way we can counter this if we decide not to press is for us to basically park the bus and have everyone behind the ball so that Van Dijk passing the ball to the midfield means shit all.

However we do not park the bus as a club under Ole. We don't do it under Liverpool and we are not going to do it against Everton or Leicester. This means Van Dijk has all the time in the world to pick the perfect pass because no one is pressing (especially the player closest to him aka the number 9) - and since our players are aiming to play aggressively rather than parking the bus- the ball is able to cut through straight through to the area of our deepest midfield.

Have you seen how easy balls are being played and getting cut through our midfield like it's simply not there? It's because it's not there.

That's why people are complaining saying we play a 424 now. The opposition are able to get past the first 4 players completely with a simple pass because Ronaldo doesn't stretch and press. What would happen if he did? What would happen if he stretched a bit and pressed? We wouldn't look like a 424 - we would look like a 4231 again.

Then the opposition defenders have 2 layers to get through before getting down to our deepest midfielders. Again the only alternative to not pressing like this is literally parking the bus, where they can have all the time in the world but it doesn't matter because all of our players are mostly by our half anyway.

RepardReece

Like what?

People mention the 6-1 loss vs Spurs but in that game we had Martial - who to no surprise people are happy to complain about his effort as a United player and he got a red card.

The game against Liverpool we lost 4-2 with Bailly and Lindelof as our CB'S - that's hardly the same as a 5-0 loss where Liverpool were ending up playing chess with a football in the last 30 mins of the game because we literally couldn't do shit at all after the first half.

Listen - I'm not saying that we are a perfect Manchest United team with the best defensive ability and then suddenly that Ronaldo has come and this perfect defence has turned to shambles.

I'm saying that as shown in tactical videos even before Ronaldo joined, and videos nothing to do about United or Ronaldo - any club that plays a 4231 - the number 9 has to press the 2 opposition CB'S, if he can't do that; then he has to atleast position himself in front of them so the ability for them to play the ball across their defensive line stops.

If he doesn't then the opposition CB'S (say van dijk) has all the time in the world to wait until our midfield opens up to play a pass that goes straight through to their midfield.

The only way we can counter this if we decide not to press is for us to basically park the bus and have everyone behind the ball so that day Van Dijk passing the ball to the midfield means shit all.

However we do not park the bus as a club under Ole. We don't do it under Liverpool and we are not going to do it against Everton or Leicester. This means Van Dijk has all the time in the world to pick the perfect pass because no one is pressing (especially the player closest to him aka the number 9) - and since our players are aiming to play aggressively rather than parking the bus- the ball is able to cut through straight through to the area of our deepest midfield.

Have you seen how easy balls are being played and getting cut through our midfield like it's simply not there? It's because it's not there.

That's why people are complaining saying we play a 424. The opposition are able to get past the first 4 players completely with a simple pass because Ronaldo doesn't stretch and press. What would happen if he did? What would happen if he stretched a bit and pressed? We wouldn't look like a 424 - we would look like a 4231 again.

Then the opposition defenders have 2 layers to get through before getting down to our deepest midfielders. Again the only alternative to not pressing like this is literally parking the bus, where they can have all the time in the world but it doesn't matter because all of our players are mostly by our half anyway.
"Like what?"
Conceded 4 to Liverpool, and 7 across two games against Roma.
And another example, Wolves cut us completely open (turns out to be our only clean sheet because they can't finish), but we didn't have Ronaldo there either and a team like Liverpool would have still beat us 3,4,5-0 on that day.

"The game against Liverpool we lost 4-2 with Bailly and Lindelof as our CB'S"
Always another excuse isn't there, that's pathetic.

"I'm not saying that we are a perfect Manchest United team with the best defensive ability and then suddenly that Ronaldo has come and this perfect defence has turned to shambles."
Good, because that would totally be incorrect anyway, he hasn't turned it to shambles because this issue was already arising at the back end of last season. That 1 clean sheet in 20 spans to back before Ronny joined.

"The only way we can counter this if we decide not to press is for us to basically park the bus and have everyone behind the ball so that day Van Dijk passing the ball to the midfield means shit all."
There are many other systems, hell, this obsession with pressing wasn't even in the game 10 years ago. Games evolved but pressing isn't the only tactical setup in the world, and it won't be the last revolutionary setup either.

"and since our players are aiming to play aggressively rather than parking the bus- the ball is able to cut through straight through to the area of our deepest midfield."
Like I have mentioned in a previous post, according to reports no players were happy to play aggressively and press that game, their lack of practice with the setup is more of the issue with that than just bloody Ronaldo.

"That's why people are complaining saying we play a 424. The opposition are able to get past the first 4 players completely with a simple pass because Ronaldo doesn't stretch and press"
If you think Ronaldo is the sole problem with that formation you are deluded. It's not the fact he isn't pressing, it's the fact that all of Ronaldo, Bruno, Rashford, and Greenwood are ahead of the ball when we are defending, leaving a massive gap for teams to overload us. You highlight that yourself (The opposition are able to get past the first 4 players completely ) and then fully blame Ronaldo for that, like what? It's all 4 fecking players, jesus.

Bebestation

"The game against Liverpool we lost 4-2 with Bailly and Lindelof as our CB'S"
Always another excuse isn't there, that's pathetic.

"The only way we can counter this if we decide not to press is for us to basically park the bus and have everyone behind the ball so that day Van Dijk passing the ball to the midfield means shit all."
There are many other systems, hell, this obsession with pressing wasn't even in the game 10 years ago. Games evolved but pressing isn't the only tactical setup in the world, and it won't be the last revolutionary setup either.

"and since our players are aiming to play aggressively rather than parking the bus- the ball is able to cut through straight through to the area of our deepest midfield."
Like I have mentioned in a previous post, according to reports no players were happy to play aggressively and press that game, their lack of practice with the setup is more of the issue with that than just bloody Ronaldo.

"That's why people are complaining saying we play a 424. The opposition are able to get past the first 4 players completely with a simple pass because Ronaldo doesn't stretch and press"
If you think Ronaldo is the sole problem with that formation you are deluded. It's not the fact he isn't pressing, it's the fact that all of Ronaldo, Bruno, Rashford, and Greenwood are ahead of the ball when we are defending, leaving a massive gap for teams to overload us. You highlight that yourself (The opposition are able to get past the first 4 players completely ) and then fully blame Ronaldo for that, like what? It's all 4 fecking players, jesus.
Okay let's do it your way.

"Always another excuse isn't there, that's pathetic."

Why did we score twice vs Liverpool last year but didnt do anything this year? Isn't Ronaldo the better striker? Please don't make excuses.

"There are many other systems, hell, this obsession with pressing wasn't even in the game 10 years ago. Games evolved but pressing isn't the only tactical setup in the world, and it won't be the last revolutionary setup either."

You basically talking about football 10 years ago and how we shouldn't press because it didn't exist 10 years ago as a way of defending Ronaldo. Crazy stuff.

According to what reports? The 4231 pressing system where the press is led by the number 9 or more realistically- the player closest to the ball so its only the number 9 when its at the opposition CB'S feet is not an Ole made tactic. Its how you play and press in a 4231.

Some guy posted it to defend Ronaldo but it actually shows what he does not do. He does not position himself inbetween the central two defenders because he likes staying at the left hand side of the pitch as he scores at an angle like a striker version of Robben. And 3.5 presses a match in the PL. Lowest in the league.

Great stuff. So you bring up last season where we had no problem bloody playing in a 424. No one .entitled that crap once. No one said the defending was great but still.

if we played a 433 and Bruno was the one who was going from CAM forward way too much every single game then it would be him who made us play a 424.

however we play a 4231. Rashford, Bruno and Greenwood are all supposed to be on the same level and Ronaldo is supposed to lead the line as a number 9. So you have basically blamed all of Rashford, Bruno Greenwood, Even Sancho and Martial and whoever played in this 4231 behind the level of the striker this season because they got too high up with Ronaldo rather than blaming Ronaldo for not pressing high up at all when his stats shows he is the lowest pressing player in the Premier league.

blame everyone for getting up and playing at Ronaldo's length of the pitch and it's them causing a bloody 424.

was amazing seeing it last season wasnt it. Nope not at all. Didn't exist. 424 wasn't there last season because neither did Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is some God here who can shit at old Trafford and people would still be on the floor on all fours saying it smells absolutely wonderful.

You win, according to reports and shit.

FerociousCorgis

dont give a shit where they "drew" the offside line he was onside, and the only one who put the ball in the net against liverpool. Get a proper manager who can set the team up properly and he will continue banging in the goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.