g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
That doesn’t add up to your earlier posts below then when folk mentioned Sporting, Leipzig & Dortmund as his next possible destinations….
Because he wants prestige + money. Those destinations don't offer him that.

Zippycup

It was actually nice watching a game yesterday with the knowledge of knowing that we wouldn’t see Ronaldo throwing his arms in the air in frustration that someone dared not to what he expected them to do. Further, there is no way the front three would have been as fluid with Ronaldo in the team. I’m not saying we don’t need a new CF, of course we do. I’m simply saying that with Ronaldo in the team we can only set up one way.
The only way I see Ronaldo in a ten Hag team is an impact sub. Ronaldo’s ego is far to great to accept that. He may not like it but age catches up with everybody. The high-press tactics used by ten Hag would not have worked with Ronaldo in the squad.
Personally, I think Ronaldo has realised this and that’s what’s triggered his urge to leave the club, that and his ego unable to accept that he wont be playing in the champions league again should he not leave this season.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It was actually nice watching a game yesterday with the knowledge of knowing that we wouldn’t see Ronaldo throwing his arms in the air in frustration that someone dared not to what he expected them to do. Further, there is no way the front three would have been as fluid with Ronaldo in the team. I’m not saying we don’t need a new CF, of course we do. I’m simply saying that with Ronaldo in the team we can only set up one way.
The only way I see Ronaldo in a ten Hag team is an impact sub. Ronaldo’s ego is far to great to accept that. He may not like it but age catches up with everybody. The high-press tactics used by ten Hag would not have worked with Ronaldo in the squad.
Personally, I think Ronaldo has realised this and that’s what’s triggered his urge to leave the club, that and his ego unable to accept that he wont be playing in the champions league again should he not leave this season.
I love the way people here think they are Sigmund Freud and can see into ronaldo's mind...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If he wants succes and win things those destinations still don't make sense.
true. I was commenting more on people saying he was in it for the money (I think he's already richer than some PL clubs!)

DevilRed

Its probably better he leaves as I just don't see how we can implement ETH's style of pressing with him leading the line.

Sadly, there seems to be nobody willing to take on his wages. Not even psg.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Its probably better he leaves as I just don't see how we can implement ETH's style of pressing with him leading the line.

Sadly, there seems to be nobody willing to take on his wages. Not even psg.
PSG probably think they can get him this time next year for nothing: I mean you can play til you're about 80 in Ligue One if you're at PSG!

Idxomer

Ronaldo and his fans have been begging PSG to take him for years and they are still not interested.

kps88

Maybe his agent should have checked if anyone actually wanted him before announcing that he wanted to leave?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
You picked the wrong poster to reply to for that, almost derailed the FDJ thread with his hard on for hating Ronaldo.

I understand the anger with Ronaldo trying to leave again but the only way we lose is if he leaves late window.

If he leaves with suitable time for a replacement it's a win-win, he gets his move and we get to hit the reset button up top for ETH to work with.

If he stays it's still a win-win, Ronaldo will try to prove he's still got it for next summer when he wants to remain at the top, so we get a prolific goalscorer with a point to prove and a year to find a suitable replacement.
I'm just back from a couple of weeks break and am not insane enough to attempt to try and catch up in that FDJ thread.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'd imagine he planned for him to be here 1 more year anyway - this is a project for him. We're not going to win the league so it's not like we have to have our best possible XI this September all ready to go, this will take multiple summer windows, but there's no reason a possession heavy team can't have one player who doesn't press as a central striker.
Yeah without a doubt on both those points. Would just be interesting on how he’d either adjust the system (pressing falls apart if one doesn’t do it) or get Ronaldo on board with some contribution to the pressing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
wow so now it's in your contract that you have to wave to the fans at the end? I've never worried about this: it's a nonsense and a PR stunt. and as for attacking his work rate: did you see the other guys last season?
damn fecking right you do. These are the people paying your wages, travelling up and down the country to watch you sulk and flap your arms in the air.

The least he can do is show a little thanks to the people that idolise him. Every other player and the manager do it even when we lose. Why is Ronaldo above that?

These are the type of moves that showed he was never 'with' the team. He's a hired gun and that's it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What will be aggravating is if we watch our pre-season games and see early hints of a pacey, fluid, pressing attack only for it to grind to a hault when Ronaldo is dropped back into the line-up.

mctrials23

Maybe his agent should have checked if anyone actually wanted him before announcing that he wanted to leave?
Nah, its all just part of the pantomime. Same when Pogba was agitating a few years ago. These sort of players and their agents don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. Pretty sure Raiola came out with the crap about Pogba leaving just before the EL final. I don't care if Pogba didn't tell him to do that explicitly, he works for you and if he had gone rogue I would tell him to publicly admit his feckup or I would sack him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Sporting are his home team. They are in the CL. He doesn't need the money so wages shouldn't be a big factor for him.

Adeus Cristiano. Always be a legend for us but we don't want or need players who don't want to be here. Simple as that. On your bike.

merten

Sporting are his home team. They are in the CL. He doesn't need the money so wages shouldn't be a big factor for him.

Adeus Cristiano. Always be a legend for us but we don't want or need players who don't want to be here. Simple as that. On your bike.
True but then again he want to go to a team that can win cl

Marcelinho87

What will be aggravating is if we watch our pre-season games and see early hints of a pacey, fluid, pressing attack only for it to grind to a hault when Ronaldo is dropped back into the line-up.
Nailed on to happen as well and then a barrage of insults aimed at the rest of the team but none at this nob.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Heh. It always is.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
damn fecking right you do. These are the people paying your wages, travelling up and down the country to watch you sulk and flap your arms in the air.

The least he can do is show a little thanks to the people that idolise him. Every other player and the manager do it even when we lose. Why is Ronaldo above that?

These are the type of moves that showed he was never 'with' the team. He's a hired gun and that's it.
I don't expect it from anyone - it's a stunt. PR and spin - but if you want to think there are thanking you personally, that's your prerogative

Woziak

True but then again he want to go to a team that can win cl
The problem is do they want him at 37/38 on 500k per week, yes he guarantees goals for him and the team, he’s one of the best of all time however he can be hugely disruptive to the team ethic let’s look at his options realistically;

Bayern - Possible but they won’t give him a 2 or 3 year contract maybe for 12 months why they look for more long term
Barcelona- Made fir each other but they can’t afford him
Chelsea - Tuchal doesn’t want him because he knows by signing him he signs his own death warrant, Literally has to play him every game
Man City - Nope
Liverpool- Nope
Real Madrid - Nope he’s tried
Juventus - Allegri and hun don’t get on
Spurs - Kane Better currently for the team 100%

So who really wants to do that Ronaldo deal, both Juventus and United did the mega bucks deal and they never really worked for either club, so I just don’t see it , we will let him continue for one year with a gentleman agreement we do not renew next year whether CL qualification is achieved or we sell in January if a big club in the CL is desperate so he might still play in the CL this season

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I seriously doubt a Turkish club can sustain Ronaldo.
The only sensible option in my mind is MLS.
Rooney just got a job there maybe they can reunite
No chance, since he won't risk entering the USA because of the rape allegations.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.

It might tempt him, still involved in the champions league and closer to home.

sugar_kane

Agreed, don't want this guy back. We had the novelty and nostalgia buzz of his return last year, this season we don't even have that to justify him dragging down the squad with his negative vibes.

I expect the squad feel like a weight has been lifted without him around, and with all his agents antics this past couple of weeks his return would potentially lower the mood even beyond what we saw last season.

The absolute most depressing element of all of this (for us, and Cristiano) is I don't even think the wages are a factor here - most other clubs genuinely just don't want him.

We should consider loaning him out to any CL club who will have him and cover part of his wages. I'd honestly rather that than have his negative influence around the club when we're trying to have a fresh start.

Looking at who is in the CL and might be able to fit him into their playing style, one of the Milan clubs or Sevilla perhaps? Even Atletico potentially, there's the Madrid factor but do you think Cristiano gives a shit about that?

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
It might tempt him, still involved in the champions league and closer to home.
It will also be a good story to tell, if Sporting can overachieve in the champions league.

Idxomer

He won't go to Sporting to play against some farmers in the Primeira Liga just for 6 games in the CL, playing in the PL is far more prestigious than that.

Phil Osophy

I think the same. We're out of the CL since april. He was looking forward to work with ten Hag, he said. Suddenly one day around June/July he wants to leave because we're not ambitious in the market... with 2 months ahead still. It's all bad excuses.

He's been told the plan for the team this season and his role in it and he doesn't like it, I'm almost convinced. He tried to find a way out and he's started trying by the best possible clubs. Nobody out of them want to sign the guy to pay him like a world beater while sacrificing their own tactical plans to mould everything around him. That was predictable.

If you pay someone 500k p/w and you leave him aside the system it's because he's going to pull off extraordinary things regardless of any tactical plan or situation. The classic free verse who wins you the game in two or three isolated actions, solo drives like peak Ronaldinho, creating his own chances, assisting out of nowhere so it's worth the freedom and the salary.

The moment you have to mould the whole plan and tactics so Ronaldo forcedly collects the most shots in the league (I think 2nd most behind Salah maybe?) in order to be the big star in the face of sponsors, this is the moment where you become a joke of a club at the service of one person. Tactics wise we're playing with one arm tied behind the back in order to make sure Ronaldo scores his good number of goals.

I think Maurizio Sarri explained it well this time last year.

Ronaldo’s personal interests difficult to manage, says Sarri

Maurizio Sarri says he found Cristiano Ronaldo difficult to manage during his time in charge of Juventus, as he had to consider the "personal interests" of the Portugal striker.

“Ronaldo is not easy to manage, he is a multinational company with personal interests that must be combined with those of the team. I consider myself to be better at being a coach than a manager” Sarri told Sport Italia.

“There are also a lot of positive aspects, because Ronaldo will bring results home in the end, and they are important results.

“He represents something that goes beyond the club, with more than 200 million followers on social media, but this is a problem in our society. Unfortunately, there is too much talk about players and little about teams.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/so...ests-difficult-to-manage-says-sarri-1.4613051
Essentially when Ronaldo joins a club they become Ronaldo FC and his "personal interests" have a big influence on how the team is managed. I guess these changes are imposed from the top, with the board and sponsors making sure the man is shining out there. If the team is balanced or not, if they press well or not, if their attack is fluid or not that's some boring garbage they don't care about. Ronaldo plays and Ronaldo scores. From that point, try to do the best you can.

Surely many here remember how during the Galacticos era some Real Madrid manager was called by phone at half time, because some of the stars "couldn't be on the bench". I don't remember the manager but I'm sure he resigned the next day or even after that game. This is what happens with 'stars' and sponsors and external interests interfering with football matters. We don't need that garbage at United and managers trying to adapt to any "personal interests" from a 37 years old who barely moves or does anything in general. No top club ruled by football metrics will do this either and we're seeing it this summer.

It's a hard awakening for Ronaldo, the market has spoken so there's two options for him. The first one is finding a "humble" CL club (if we can call a club in the top competition humble but you know what I mean) where he can get the keys of the team to build his personal platform. Or he completely changes his nature and becomes a rotational player, serving the team interests, meeting the manager demands physical and tactically and so on. His career as a 'star' in top elite clubs is well and truly over.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It’s so obvious that we play better as a team without Ronaldo.

Him scoring goals never changed the fact that we played more predictably as a team.

sugar_kane

I think Maurizio Sarri explained it well this time last year.
fecks sake reading stuff like this it pisses me off so much that our hierarchy thought it would be a good idea to bring him back. Absolute bunch of amateurs.

Shades of us hiring Mourinho when anyone with access to Google and a spare half hour could draw up a list of 20 reasons he would be a bad fit for our club.

I honestly think we'd have made top four without Ronaldo last year and his negativity and inflexibility dragging everything down.

MrEleson

What do you know about being a United fan? You supposedly only support Ronaldo.
I can guarantee I’ve been a United fan longer than you. And supposedly anyone who doesn’t bring the pitch forks out against him is branded a Ronaldo fan.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

How can people say he doesn't need the money? The guy obviously lives an insanely lavish lifestyle that requires an insanely high salary to maitain. Doesn't he have a private jet?

Phil Osophy

fecks sake reading stuff like this it pisses me off so much that our hierarchy thought it would be a good idea to bring him back. Absolute bunch of amateurs.

Shades of us hiring Mourinho when anyone with access to Google and a spare half hour could draw up a list of 20 reasons he would be a bad fit for our club.

I honestly think we'd have made top four without Ronaldo last year and his negativity and inflexibility dragging everything down.
I'm completely sure. We were in the fight still in early april if I recall correctly despite the poor start, awful performances for almost the whole season, general passivity, change of managers and so on and so on. In relative normal conditions we grab top-4 without sweating. Obviously still not good enough, but it would be nice to be a CL team at least instead of heading once again to the EL.

fallengt

Just decide it faster. Last thing this team needs is an unhappy egomaniac.
If Arnold thinks the board would receive backlash if United sold him, I can say they will not. Ronaldo has tainted his image here, not many fans give a feck anymore.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
reckon hell end up at bayern if lewa completes his move.

RatPack

No top CL club want Ronaldo. Think his only change is back in Portugal.
But we need him out to avoid all the mess that comes with him. Especially after informing he wants to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.