Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthBraxton

I grew up watching this guy bang in goals for us. Big idol and always thought he was the GOAT. All of that is gone now. He is not a United legend. Couldn't care less if he left. If he stays I hope he gets booed

Woziak

If united came out and said we make a special dispensation for Christiano and agree not to reduce his salary by 25% like all the other squad for failure to qualify for the CL, Ronaldo would stay and I would be done with my club as most of you would be , we need to stop indulging him and back the Manager, if he wants to leave , then sell him for £20m if he wants a loan then charge a loan fee of £5m and the loan club pays all of his wages. The reason no one wants Ronaldo is because Uefa new FFP is coming in soon and clubs have 2/3 years to get their house in order where a club can only spend 70% of their Turnover on transfers, wages and agents fees. Who wants a 37/38 year old on £25M per year???

GreatDane

To Sporting?

Absolutely not. It just does not make sense for United to loan him. Especially considering United would pay for the whole wages and as much as petty fans try to deny it United need a goal scorer like him on the team at least for one more year until ETH figures it out. He just as he did last season would Win United games.

However next season when his contract is up I fully expect to see Sporting try to bring the biggest icon in the history of the country home.

This summer their is a 0% chance he goes to Sporting.
That's nice.
I'm a United fan, and you are a Ronaldo fan - I want what's best for the club, and that's him gone. He's holding the club back, his goals are not enough.

mshnsh

Why being so categorical if you're interested in the first place? If Bayern really were interested, the commúnication would have been less direct. If he doesn't fit our philosophy today, he won't fit our philosophy in 2 weeks.
You're stuck with him, mate. Get over it.
His fanboys want him to move to Bayern not for Bayern Munich but for Ronaldo.
Ya I mean look I think we can both agree him coming to United was career suicide. United we’re never going to compete for anything and the squad was awful.

He should have said feck it and gone to City like it was supposed to happen. He came back for Ferguson I think.
United finished second the season before. This United team should have finished 3rd last season. Ronaldo's main issue is not his personal stats, it is his negative impact on how the rest of the team plays. After he joined, many players ended up having a terrible season including his compatriot who was one of the best in the league before he joined.

Irwin99

The team was engineered to make Ronaldo the best player last season. We were basically the Ronaldo Roadshow.

Unpopular opinion but we looked a far more cohesive attacking Unit the two previous season to when he came back.

I'd love for him to go back to Sporting where it all started.
You can say he was detrimental in some ways but let's not forget the team crashed out of the champions league group stages the year before, had a terrible end to the season which culminated in a loss in the EL final and started the season pretty shaky before he even came (aside from the Leeds win).

There were rumours about Ole transforming to a more open attacking football side even before Ronaldo arrived; to me it look liked the whole system finally collapsed as we transitioned away from the counter attack style. I'm not excusing him as he was just as bad as anyone else at various points but I don't think i'd blame him for last season.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
His fanboys want him to move to Bayern not for Bayern Munich but for Ronaldo.
United finished second the season before. This United team should have finished 3rd last season. Ronaldo's main issue is not his personal stats, it is his negative impact on how the rest of the team plays. After he joined, many players ended up having a terrible season including his compatriot who was one of the best in the league before he joined.
But this is not what happened last season. Ole tried unparking the bus and failed miserably. He only went back to his back 8 formation when he had lost the dressing room.

But sure, let's pretend Ronaldo is the reason AWB doesn't know how to press (which he wasn't required to do prior) and he's also the reason Maguire and Shaw kept clattering into each other like they're doing a slapstick comedy and that's how we got smashed by Liverpool.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You can say he was detrimental in some ways but let's not forget the team crashed out of the champions league group stages the year before, had a terrible end to the season which culminated in a loss in the EL final and started the season pretty shaky before he even came (aside from the Leeds win).

There were rumours about Ole transforming to a more open attacking football side even before Ronaldo arrived; to me it look liked the whole system finally collapsed as we transitioned away from the counter attack style. I'm not excusing him as he was just as bad as anyone else at various points but I don't think i'd blame him for last season.
So why did it all go wrong then? It was the same manager and same team.

Him coming back coincided with Rashford, Bruno, Martial, Greenwood and Cavani all dropping off from the levels they were at the previous season.

It can't all be a coincidence. Ronaldo scored goals, yes, but he also didn't close a defender down practically all season which made us very easy to play against.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
So why did it all go wrong then? It was the same manager and same team.

Him coming back coincided with Rashford, Bruno, Martial, Greenwood and Cavani all dropping off from the levels they were at the previous season.

It can't all be a coincidence. Ronaldo scored goals, yes, but he also didn't close a defender down practically all season which made us very easy to play against.
That's not true. I distinctly remember people sharing videos of him closing down players as a stick to beat Rashford with.

Though he didn't initially do it, not until Ragnick came in. He was also a bit shit at it...

Tibs

If he wants to leave, then he needs to lower his wage demands and go to Bayern, win some trophies and get a few more goals in the CL.

Surely he and Mendes must clock on that the biggest stumbling block to him moving is his huge wage? Still hope he stays though.

MrEleson

Cavani was injured almost the entire season so there was no “form” there to begin with. Greenwood was exiled as early as January and Martial even on his loan spell in a completely different country was atrocious. Is Ronaldo to blame for that too?

Bruno & Rashford are the only two from your list that actually played with Ronaldo all season and surely you’re not saying Ronaldo is responsible for Rashford completely forgetting how to do the basics like control a football are you? As for Bruno, he was never going to maintain his numbers with significantly less penalties being handed to us. Yes, he was poorer in general but there’s no proof that was because of Ronaldo.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That's not true. I distinctly remember people sharing videos of him closing down players as a stick to beat Rashford with.

Though he didn't initially do it, not until Rangnick came in. He was also a bit shit at it...
Point still stands though. Him coming back coincided with every other attacker we had going off form.

I don't think ETH will privately mind if he leaves us, not that he'd come out and say it. He's just not a team player. It's all about Ronaldo and that's fine but we need to move away from that now and start being a proper team again.

Elcabron

If he wants to leave, then he needs to lower his wage demands and go to Bayern, win some trophies and get a few more goals in the CL.

Surely he and Mendes must clock on that the biggest stumbling block to him moving is his huge wage? Still hope he stays though.
Well it's either his enormous wages which would be significantly off set from merchandise/shirt sales or maybe the biggest stumbling block is the fact he is just not worth it anymore, he is a disruptive influence, plays for himself not the team and doesn't score the number of goals anymore to off set his selfishness.

No one is in for him due to the fact he will be 38 at the business end of the season and his best days passed about five years ago.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Cavani was injured almost the entire season so there was no “form” there to begin with. Greenwood was exiled as early as January and Martial even on his loan spell in a completely different country was atrocious. Is Ronaldo to blame for that too?

Bruno & Rashford are the only two from your list that actually played with Ronaldo all season and surely you’re not saying Ronaldo is responsible for Rashford completely forgetting how to do the basics like control a football are you? As for Bruno, he was never going to maintain his numbers with significantly less penalties being handed to us. Yes, he was poorer in general but there’s no proof that was because of Ronaldo.
No I'm saying that him playing for us made the rest of them think they were just playing small parts in the Ronaldo sitcom. That's how it felt and that's how it looked.

We finished 6th with him and 2nd and 3rd the two years before.

Buffon said something very similar about his last year at Juve. Like the rest of the team were just there to give him the ball. Doesn't do great for team morale stuff like that.

We need to move on from him now.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yes we have but in this case i doubt we would want to pay full wages almost cause Sporting do not have money to pay Ronaldo 500k a week and wedo not have that many backup options in his position.
Not that it changes your point but just for accuracy he's no longer on 500k a week since we didn't qualify for the CL. Every player, Including him, has taken a 25% wage cut.

MrEleson

No I'm saying that him playing for us made the rest of them think they were just playing small parts in the Ronaldo sitcom. That's how it felt and that's how it looked.

We finished 6th with him and 2nd and 3rd the two years before.

Buffon said something very similar about his last year at Juve. Like the rest of the team were just there to give him the ball. Doesn't do great for team morale stuff like that.

We need to move on from him now.
Well that’s all conjecture.

I just gave you evidence of how woeful Martial was on loan in a different environment so clearly at least his form had absolutely and utterly nothing to do with Ronaldo.

Real Madrid was even more Ronaldo centric than United last season yet they had unprecedented success. And don’t mention about him being in his prime, because if he was really affecting team morale by his presence on the pitch, those guys would have shrunk too. Maybe just maybe these group of players are just poor?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

I just gave you evidence of how woeful Martial was on loan in a different environment so clearly at least his form had absolutely and utterly nothing to do with Ronaldo.

Real Madrid was even more Ronaldo centric than United last season yet they had unprecedented success. And don’t mention about him being in his prime, because if he was really affecting team morale by his presence on the pitch, those guys would have shrunk too. Maybe just maybe these group of players are just poor?
You're entitled to your opinion as are the rest of us. Ronaldo might be the GOAT and a huge name in the game but we didn't look a better team last season and nobody can argue we did.

His arrival, more so than Sancho and Varane, definitely upset the apple cart in my opinion. We didn't seem to have much bad blood in the camp, if any, the previous seasons under Ole.

We made a mistake going for him and he made a mistake coming back. That's where I sit with it. I will always appreciate what he did for us in his first spell though.

GreatDane

"When he’s on vacation he doesn’t answer the phone to anybody," Nani said. "I tried to talk to him, but he said: ‘I’m so busy now, we’ll talk soon’.
Family emergency or vacation..

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
"When he’s on vacation he doesn’t answer the phone to anybody," Nani said. "I tried to talk to him, but he said: ‘I’m so busy now, we’ll talk soon’.
You are risking the wrath of some posters here by highlighting that mate :lol:

mshnsh

That Real Madrid team was stronger than what people give them credit for and under Ancelotti and Zidane, they had the mental strength to win against the odds in UCL. They were so strong that all Ronaldo had to do was finish from close range. For a long period of time (in his last few seasons if i remember correctly) he had scored like just one goal from outside the area.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I thought that when I read it. However, I would still like to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Family is family after all...

Ralph1386

Don’t worry about him, he’s a known butt-hurt Ole fanboy here and is now using the Ronaldo situation to shift the blame on one person for last season’s implosion.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rumours that he's going to Atletico
Mendes thinking it worked on Woodward when we linked him with City, why not fake out Florentino with a link to Atleti? Honestly, I hope it's true. That would be better than the alternative: Flirting with Atleti to try and get Madrid to make a move when neither is interested.

Ralph1386

What the heck is this trash? Such a click bait title and the article contains no information what so ever. Apparently he txt Nani, “I’m busy now, talk soon”, and that’s the basis for this masterpiece .
Save yourself a click. Good lord!
I was gonna post the same thing. Absolute waste of time.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Rumours that he's going to Atletico
Atlético have problems with their current wage bill. They definitely can't pay even half of Ronaldo's salary. Nor does Barca, or almost any other club excepting the Petroclubs. Most clubs are now setting a limit of 10 million a year per player. I don't see Ronaldo going anywhere unless he reduces his salary to like one third of the current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.