Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revaulx

Not sure he would block it when people like SAF were involved.
I wonder what the sequence of events was.

Did SAF say to the club “You’ve got to sign Ronnie to stop him going to City. I will do all I can to help you.”

Or did the club rock up at SAF’s and say “OMG Ronnie’s signing for City. We must stop him. Please help us.”

Revaulx

It'll cause plenty of issues if he's sulking and his agent starts talking crap via the media. It creates a negativity atmosphere that will affect the team
Really? If the team is united under the manager who in turn is backed by the hierarchy, it’ll create a lot of noise in the press and among the fanboys, sure. Inside the club though? It should give them something to circle the wagons round.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Has he acted like a model professional for the past 12 months? Not sure he has.

If he is benched and used as an impact sub he will lose his shit and cause problems.
Well maybe no elite clubs wanting him will jolt him back to reality and humble him a little.
Who knows? He might be willing to sit on the bench without any issues this time, even if it is just to repair his image. In this case it will be a great positive for United

Hughie77

If he wants to go leave him go . Tell his agent find him a club and go, if the moneys not right buy out the contract your on and go. I think UTD being the last chance saloon for aging players has gone now. Ronny new what he was coming into . RR didn't help imo or the board by sending people out on loan who should have been told no your staying. Ie Martial .

Ronny top player but if he wants to go hurry up please . Don't expect a round of applause if no club wants you you stay . Bench for me or 45 mins to 60 off

sillwuka

I'm sure he's one of the most respected in the dressing room but I can't even imagine the shit storm it will cause if he returns.

The players and he must be dreading that.

redcucumber

Really? If the team is united under the manager who in turn is backed by the hierarchy, it’ll create a lot of noise in the press and among the fanboys, sure. Inside the club though? It should give them something to circle the wagons round.
Hmmm. I can appreciate this is the ideal outcome. Is it realistic, though? Every bad result or performance will immediately come back to the issue of Ronaldo. Media discourse is influential and side lining a figure like Ronaldo is going to cause widespread discussion.

buchansleftleg

Maybe Cristiano should campaign for a rule change, allowing him to play for multiple clubs within one season.

That way he could start the season playing for one of the clubs that have to pre-qualify for the champions league, like say Helsingborgs or the like. If they get knocked out he just moves to the club that won that game until he reaches the group stages. He can then switch clubs at each knockout stage until he finally gets that additional Champions League Trophy and (no doubt) a record total of Champions League goals in one season!

It would be great to see him do this and would be more sporting endeavour than him just going "home with the ball" because the big boys don't want to play with him anymore.

Not a serious proposition... just winding up the fanboys!

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Did SAF say to the club “You’ve got to sign Ronnie to stop him going to City. I will do all I can to help you.”

Or did the club rock up at SAF’s and say “OMG Ronnie’s signing for City. We must stop him. Please help us.”
I don't think he would've done that without getting the greenlight from the club.

iamking

Could have been either, but whatever it was, has to go down as one of the worst things club did resigning him. I can understand the rationale, but in reality the choice has put has back years when we could just continued with a slightly lesser playing version in Cavani, who is a better team player than Ronaldo could ever be.

Been a die hard fan of the boy since his Bolton Debut. But if his heart ain't in it, I would say thank you BYE-BYE. NOBODY is bigger than the club. In a crucial transfer season where much of the signing is relying purely on the clubs reputation, the least Ronnie can do is shut up or leave quickly. Dragging the whole thing is making us look like an unwanted club making it harder to convince our top targets without CL. Yes he was brilliant last season, Yes we can do better with him in the team than without. But the SUM is always larger than the PARTS.

The amount of circus he brings wont be great for a side like us. We have had great players come and go the past few seasons with nothing to show. So it's not the roster that's been the entire problem, but more like the club culture/attitude needs a reboot and players like Ronaldo, JLings and Pogidiot etc., must rightly clear out in my opinion. We can't allow any more prima-donna I am mightier than thou attitude from any player even if he is a club legend like CR7.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

If we go with the "City didn't actually want him" theory, it's also possible that it was Ronnie who called SAF (rather than SAF calling Ed, as it were).

Revaulx

I don't think he would've done that without getting the greenlight from the club.
Yeah I tend to agree. The notion that he’s turned into a Svengali trying to control everything via Darren Fletcher does seem rather far fetched. Though I have seen it postulated on the CAF…

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
His behavior is shameful, a champion of his caliber doesn't behave like that, he should be an example. Honestly, I'm disgusted.

Revaulx

If we go with the "City didn't actually want him" theory, it's also possible that it was Ronnie who called SAF (rather than SAF calling Ed, as it were).
True.

On balance I suspect the City links were “sexed up” by Mendes. I suppose it isn’t completely impossible that they seriously thought about bringing him on board for PR reasons though. They didn’t really need England Heartthrob Jack Grealish, did they?

Ibrahimorich

It should have been ruined in 2008 when he said he was a slave.

He's never cared about the club and the fans shouldn't be surprised at his recent episode against the club.
Yea I don't understand all the people who think he's a club legend. He is/was a legendary player who happened to play for us a bit at the start of his career. Yes, he was excellent for us but he never dreamed of playing here. It was just a mutually beneficial stepping stone. Great player, glad we had him, he was ace. Spoilt it all when he left for Madrid.

MrEleson

True.

On balance I suspect the City links were “sexed up” by Mendes. I suppose it isn’t completely impossible that they seriously thought about bringing him on board for PR reasons though. They didn’t really need England Heartthrob Jack Grealish, did they?
“For PR reasons” and not the fact that he’s a proven serial goalscorer that had just recorded 29 league goals the previous season and 36 in all comps. Nothing to do with them needing this very type of player after missing out on Harry Kane and were heading into a season without a striker. The lengths some of you go to downplay Ronaldo’s current capabilities is quite amusing.

RuudTom83

While the team is on the other side of the world it has bought Ronaldo and the club some time.

But United play in Oslo on the 30th and Manchester on the 31st, if Ronaldo doesn't turn up for either of those then the club should start handing out fines. Being paid 350k+ a week to find another club is a joke!

But whatever happens the outcome should be clearer by the end of next weekend.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I suppose it isn’t completely impossible that they seriously thought about bringing him on board for PR reasons though.
That's entirely possible. The signal effect of Ronaldo going to City would've been pretty significant.

However, it's also more than possible that they decided it against for football reasons. If Pep says "nah, please not - he won't be comfortable with a bit part and I don't need the hassle", that would be the end of it, I suspect.

Grealish - yeah. I doubt Pep considered him a crucial piece of the puzzle, but then again I can see him thinking it was okay: very much a marquee transfer (good for the brand) but the player can be used after a fashion, perhaps even moulded into something, etc. And - he certainly isn't someone who could possibly challenge Pep's authority (unlike Ronaldo - whose ego is on a different level, let's say).

tomaldinho1

Might end up loaning him somewhere random like Roma I reckon, I can't see him not causing a massive issue when he comes and we aren't in the CL + he's not working hard enough off the ball for ETH

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Might end up loaning him somewhere random like Roma I reckon, I can't see him not causing a massive issue when he comes and we aren't in the CL + he's not working hard enough off the ball for ETH
Why loan him when he has 1 year left on his contract anyway. I makes no financial sense to loan him

LARulz

If you loan him, you'd save millions compared to "dumping him" (and having to pay his contract).
Yeah that's true but it's also assuming that Ronaldo wouldn't want it mutually terminated if he wanted to get out so desperately. We ultimately have the power here, he is desperate to leave so if he wants to be free to join anybody then it's a mutual termination and no payments, but if he cares about the money and nobody wants to pay then he can sit on the bench or stands or piss around on his yacht

Rolaholic

Roma aren't in the CL either

tomaldinho1

Why loan him when he has 1 year left on his contract anyway. I makes no financial sense to loan him
Because we can't sell him...

Currently it's either have him back when he doesn't want to be here and, despite the PR effort, it's clear he's not in the mould of ETH's ideal striker. Do we put up with more circus media rubbish for another season whilst paying his colossal wages before he leaves for free.
OR loan him somewhere with CL football who will cover the bulk of his wages (if not all) and solve the issue. We aren't getting a meaningful fee for someone of his age with 1 year on a stupidly high deal.

Roma aren't in the CL either
Insert Napoli, Milan, PSG, Sporting instead of Roma. I thought they'd got in through the cup win but forgot it was the new 3rd tier version.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We ultimately have the power here, he is desperate to leave so if he wants to be free to join anybody then it's a mutual termination and no payments, but if he cares about the money and nobody wants to pay then he can sit on the bench or stands or piss around on his yacht
If you disregard the potential...mess which could follow from him sulking and whatnot, this is pretty much it.

And the potential mess - I dunno, but I think people may be exaggerating this aspect.

ETH has played this well, I think. He says, plainly, that he's looking forward to working with Ronaldo. As you would.

He hasn't said anything about treating him as royalty or building the team around him (that's a ridiculous interpretation of what he's actually said).

He has also stressed the fact that he demands a lot from his players.

And - significantly - he has said explicitly that he considers Ronaldo a top player who will meet his expectations.

Pretty clever, you could actually say.

If Ronaldo stays, he has to prove himself - that's the bottom line.

Revaulx

“For PR reasons” and not the fact that he’s a proven serial goalscorer that had just recorded 29 league goals the previous season and 36 in all comps. Nothing to do with them needing this very type of player after missing out on Harry Kane and were heading into a season without a striker. The lengths some of you go to downplay Ronaldo’s current capabilities is quite amusing.
Fair enough. If they'd signed him they would have won the league.

Oh wait...

Revaulx

That's entirely possible. The signal effect of Ronaldo going to City would've been pretty significant.

However, it's also more than possible that they decided it against for football reasons. If Pep says "nah, please not - he won't be comfortable with a bit part and I don't need the hassle", that would be the end of it, I suspect.
Yes I agree. Pep would have more leverage than Ole, sadly.

Grealish - yeah. I doubt Pep considered him a crucial piece of the puzzle, but then again I can see him thinking it was okay: very much a marquee transfer (good for the brand) but the player can be used after a fashion, perhaps even moulded into something, etc. And - he certainly isn't someone who could possibly challenge Pep's authority (unlike Ronaldo - whose ego is on a different level, let's say).
That’s certainly true.

I rather think that Grealish might become a target of the red tops before too long. Unless City pays them off.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
If you disregard the potential...mess which could follow from him sulking and whatnot, this is pretty much it.

And the potential mess - I dunno, but I think people may be exaggerating this aspect.

ETH has played this well, I think. He says, plainly, that he's looking forward to working with Ronaldo. As you would.

He hasn't said anything about treating him as royalty or building the team around him (that's a ridiculous interpretation of what he's actually said).

He has also stressed the fact that he demands a lot from his players.

And - significantly - he has said explicitly that he considers Ronaldo a top player who will meet his expectations.

Pretty clever, you could actually say.

If Ronaldo stays, he has to prove himself - that's the bottom line.
ETH has handled this situation as well as he could so far. But this has been the easy part. The hard part comes when Ronaldo returns to the team and ETH has to actually define Ronaldo's role in the side, make decisions about who goes on the team sheet in real matches, and then deal with the fallout from both players and the media. United isn't Ajax and Ronaldo isn't Haller or Tadic.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Because we can't sell him...

Currently it's either have him back when he doesn't want to be here and, despite the PR effort, it's clear he's not in the mould of ETH's ideal striker. Do we put up with more circus media rubbish for another season whilst paying his colossal wages before he leaves for free.
OR loan him somewhere with CL football who will cover the bulk of his wages (if not all) and solve the issue. We aren't getting a meaningful fee for someone of his age with 1 year on a stupidly high deal.

Insert Napoli, Milan, PSG, Sporting instead of Roma. I thought they'd got in through the cup win but forgot it was the new 3rd tier version.
If he is to be loaned somewhere, unless its Bayern, PSG, Chelsea or City tier of clubs, for any other clubs United will have to bear a massive portion of his wages. He is on 500k per week (or 375k after thr no-CL reduction which we do not know if it will take effect if he is playing in the CL). Napoli Sporting Altetico etc probably cannot even afford half his wages.

So assuming he is going to Dortmund and assuming they will fork out 100k per week, it means United will be saving 100k a week. Is it worth saving that 100k a week and moving him out or is it better to just keep him at United?

Daonico

ETH has handled this situation as well as he could so far. But this has been the easy part. The hard part comes when Ronaldo returns to the team and ETH has to actually define Ronaldo's role in the side, make decisions about who goes on the team sheet in real matches, and then deal with the fallout from both players and the media. United isn't Ajax and Ronaldo isn't Haller or Tadic.
I don't think he is coming back for anything else than picking up his stuff.

anyway, does anyone can remember a case of a top level player being absent for 3 weeks for personal reasons "for real" and not simply wanting out? I konw he had some ugly stuff happening in his family, but bad things happen to everyone, and 3 weeks right after a vacation seems like a lot of time in the world we live in

TOKUGAWA-X

Ronaldo is rapidly becoming the biggest traitor in United history.

Who wouldve thought.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why do I bother asking :lol:
He saw the size of slabhead's willie and got jealous so now he's having penis enlargement surgery so next time they're in the showers he can show Harry who's boss

Status
Not open for further replies.