g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Remember when Ronaldo threw a paddy that one time and Ole then stopped dropping/ substituting him?

We cannot let a 38 year old run the club, no matter how highly he is thought of - that’s what got us into this mess in the first place. He needs to earn his place back in the squad.
He also threw a tantrum when Rangnick subbed him and was angrily asking him why he didn't sub out the kids instead. It'll be interesting to see how Ten Hag handles him. Will cave to Ronaldo and meet his demands or stick to his own principles.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Due to the unfortunate circumstances of Haller, could we offer Ronaldo to Dortmund?

If he's really desperate to get out we could subsidise his wages, Dortmund get a stop-gap to alleviate a difficult situation and Ronaldo will play in the champions league

GreatDane

Due to the unfortunate circumstances of Haller, could we offer Ronaldo to Dortmund?

If he's really desperate to get out we could subsidise his wages, Dortmund get a stop-gap to alleviate a difficult situation and Ronaldo will play in the champions league
I'm very fine with him leaving, but I'd feel like an idiot if we keep paying part of his wages.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm very fine with him leaving, but I'd feel like an idiot if we keep paying part of his wages.
It's more of a good-will gesture and one that is for the greater good of the team. Sometimes you bring in a player to improve the team while other times you need to remove someone to improve the team.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He doesn't. Ronaldo having this interview with him some years ago made Piers think they're besties. He's always like that, believing he's friends with the stars because they talked to him as part of their work. Hence his aversion to Meghan, she apparently didn't fancy it
Ronaldo did an interview with him? wow. The sins of this guy. He talked to Mrs. Doubtfire aka Rio's nemesis behind his back, broke United squad, sold Dan James, sacked Ole, poisoned our kids with Sius while bullying them for not passing to him and didnt even join the preseason. Get him out.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Look, I tried to be nice about it, but there's just no way Dortmund will take the geriatric deadwood of some EL team. some white text
You had no problem with a geriatric EL team full of deadwood taking your outcasts, but now the shoe is on the other foot you're not playing ball, typical weiß

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wherever he goes if he goes on loan we're probably going to be paying a big chunk of his wage anyway. Most clubs can barely stretch 100k a week for their top stars.

We pay sir wingealot 500k a week. Unless we manage to sell him (which now looks very unlikely) we're stuck with him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ronaldo as our plan B off the bench is some title winning / top 2 of the PL points ability and tactic.

If he sits there happy with his mouth shut then that’s something deadly off the bench we have.

I’m loving my life

He doesn't. Ronaldo having this interview with him some years ago made Piers think they're besties. He's always like that, believing he's friends with the stars because they talked to him as part of their work. Hence his aversion to Meghan, she apparently didn't fancy it
It shows what a sad feck Ronaldo is having Piers Morgan as his only friend and confidant. This alone drops his value and could sway the Glazers et al to do the right thing by the club.

We need to leak links between Ronaldo and James Corden next

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ronaldo as our plan B off the bench is some title winning / top 2 of the PL points ability and tactic.

If he sits there happy with his mouth shut then that’s something deadly off the bench we have.
He would never be happy.

romufc

The thing is I couldn't care less where he goes, as long as he is out the door. I know its reported that he is missing due to personal reasons however; there has been no update on his return.

We have a new manager, new tactics and he has shown he does not want to know. He thinks that he can miss the whole pre season and be guaranteed a starting place when he is back? Some sort of delusional, he wouldn't start until the EL or League cup game comes round in my books.

We need an rvn

Why are we still paying this guy £500k p/w when he's refusing to turn up for pre-season training? No way a family emergency lasts 3 weeks when he's lapping it up on a private yacht just 2 days before he's due to return.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Didn't he fancy the pants off of her as well, and he got pissed that she turned him down? I wonder why she said "no" to him in favour of the young royal ex gunship pilot...

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Didn't he fancy the pants off of her as well, and he got pissed that she turned him down? I wonder why she said "no" to him in favour of the young royal ex gunship pilot...
Yeah exactly, he seems to confuse working relationship with social/romantic relationship all the time. And for your question, you'd have to be a closet lesbian to turn down Piers

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yeah no chance. He was pissed at being subbed when we were trying to preserve a lead.
Yeah the chances are slim but who knows - maybe he has no other option apart from being our number 2 for a season.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

It’s genuinely more likely City and Liverpool get relegated and Phil Jones wins a Golden Boot and Ballon Dor combo than him being happy in this scenario tbh
Why are we still paying this guy £500k p/w when he's refusing to turn up for pre-season training? No way a family emergency lasts 3 weeks when he's lapping it up on a private yacht just 2 days before he's due to return.
3 words - ‘clubs commercial interests’
Yeah the chances are slim but who knows - maybe he has no other option apart from being our number 2 for a season.
This will absolutely not happen. He would be so toxic and distracting. I’d genuinely rather just send him to MLS than have this happen.

If him and Ten Hag can clear the air, great. But the downside is at most we would get one more decent season out of him. The cost would be re triggering Martial’s moodiness. Martial could potentially be a top player for us under ETH far into the future. There’s really no good outcome here tbh. I wish Ronaldo had jogged on to Saudi at this point to make his 2 million a week.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Looks like that will be the case - although I think he'd still oust Martial within a month or so. But he certainly won't be happy with being on the bench initially and he will still probably be unhappy when he's playing, unless the season starts to go really well and there's a potential to win things. That's how I feel it will go.

ForeverRed1

I’m moving into the camp of I wouldn’t mind if he left at this point. I get it’s only pre season but the players are playing with joy. We look fit and fluid and playing with a smile. We need to move that across to the season and competitive games and with Ronaldo, he really has the ability to stink up a place if he doesn’t get his way.

He also wants to leave and is pimping himself out across any CL team that will take him....

Kind of over it at this point and just want positivity around the club.

If he stays and smashes it though.. then so be it, with the likes of Eriksen and Martinez pinging balls into him.. and the possibility of FDJ.. it could happen.

Red For Ever

I can not see any scenario where United should have to pay any part of his wages, he wants out, not turned up, he is not fulfilling his contract,
his behaviour would not be tolerated by many other clubs, and another player would not be allowed to get away with this.

Personal issues, if they turn out to be genuine, then I take it back, but no evidence so far.

the_cliff

I wonder if it's slowly dawning on these Ronaldo fanboys that he's just nowhere near as good as he once was since he isn't wanted by any top team in world football. Definitely goes down as Ole's worst signing and he's had some howlers.

I remember during the season in the Ronaldo thread there were more people defending him than criticising him most of those people have either disappeared or come to the realisation that he's a liability.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is a guy who over the last 4 seasons has scored 22, 23, 27 and 21 non-penalty goals, while being a tactical nightmare for his managers, a too-big shadow for his teammates both on and off the pitch, contributing little to his teams outside of goals and over the last 2 seasons failed to even be a catalyst for success

Mind you, those are still good numbers and you have to think in a good, functional team, he can still be a big contributor to success. The problem is, how much is a guy like that worth? Certainly not even close to what he's currently on. So how far is he willing to go, to leave?

If he leaves - and at the moment i don't see it - it will be in the last days of the window, like last season, probably for surprisingly low(for him) wages, and to a second-tier CL side, like Dortmund or Napoli.

Rolaholic

Turning out to be quite the egg on face moment...

Been embarrassing getting rejected all over Europe. Much more embarrassing than playing Europa football

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I wonder did last summer go similarly for Ronaldo and Mendes until Woodward and the commercial circus reared its head? I know the stories of his Juventus exit only started circulating late in the window but maybe they have learned from it.

the_cliff

He's running out of clubs right now, soon he'll be regretting calling that Sporting news fake.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Turning out to be quite the egg on face moment...

Been embarrassing getting rejected all over Europe. Much more embarrassing than playing Europa football
I am baffled about why he didn't keep his powder dry.

Could've started the season, scored a few goals, done well at Qatar 22 and, off the back of that, pushed for a move to a Champions League knock out round club in January 2023.

If I was Ronaldo I'd swallow my pride, negotiate the cancellation of my United contract and go to Sporting on reduced wages. He already has more money than sense and his endorsements and sponsorships will fill in what Sporting can't pay in wages for a year. Go to Sporting win the Portuguese league and play in the Champions League.

Lets face it, Atleti are more likely to win the Champions League than Sporting but they're not certs to be in the last 4, maybe not even the last 8. So why not go to Sporting? If he goes 'home' and wins the Portuguese title back from Porto he can justify his decision by saying it was all about trophies. Sporting are in a better position to challenge Porto than we are to challenge City. So his spin and PR would be able to sell it.

If he goes to Atleti he's probably not going to win La Liga, especially with Madrid and Barca strengthening, he's probably not going to with the Champions League: Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, City, Liverpool and Chelsea are all at least as good as Atleti. So what is the great attraction of Atleti over Sporting? Giving the finger to Florentino Perez one last time? Will be meaningless if Madrid win the title again and Ronaldo wins nothing. Florentino will just laugh.

the_cliff

I am baffled about why he didn't keep his powder dry.

Could've started the season, scored a few goals, done well at Qatar 22 and, off the back of that, pushed for a move to a Champions League knock out round club in January 2023.

If I was Ronaldo I'd swallow my pride, negotiate the cancellation of my United contract and go to Sporting on reduced wages. He already has more money than sense and his endorsements and sponsorships will fill in what Sporting can't pay in wages for a year. Go to Sporting win the Portuguese league and play in the Champions League.

Lets face it, Atleti are more likely to win the Champions League than Sporting but they're not certs to be in the last 4, maybe not even the last 8. So why not go to Sporting? If he goes 'home' and wins the Portuguese title back from Porto he can justify his decision by saying it was all about trophies. Sporting are in a better position to challenge Porto than we are to challenge City. So his spin and PR would be able to sell it.

If he goes to Atleti he's probably not going to win La Liga, especially with Madrid and Barca strengthening, he's probably not going to with the Champions League: Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, City, Liverpool and Chelsea are all at least as good as Atleti. So what is the great attraction of Atleti over Sporting? Giving the finger to Florentino Perez one last time? Will be meaningless if Madrid win the title again and Ronaldo wins nothing. Florentino will just laugh.
For him it's all about his UCL goal record, he'll want to go to the team that has the biggest chance to play as many games in the UCL as possible therefore giving him the best possible chance to increase his goal tally.

Messi is only 15 goals behind and is 2 years younger.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I wonder did last summer go similarly for Ronaldo and Mendes until Woodward and the commercial circus reared its head? I know the stories of his Juventus exit only started circulating late in the window but maybe they have learned from it.
I guess that depends on whether we believe that City were ready to sign him up.

The way I remember it, the City thing was mainly pushed by Castles (and then picked up by other journos). Castles is a good source for Mendes related stuff - but then again he's pretty much a mouthpiece, so it's hardly inconceivable that Mendes had him come out with the story in order to - well - push United into making a move.

I don't recall anyone on City's side actually commenting on it.

(My memory's shite, though - so I'm happy to be corrected.)

Nickelodeon

Hasn't been a good summer for Ronnie, has it? Well deserved from my perspective though. He could've easily communicated to the club back in May that he doesn't wish to continue. His contract could've been cancelled and we could move on to signing players which are chosen by the manager. Firstly, he throws a spanner in our pre season plans when we're already short on options and now he sits and earns millions from United and gets rejected by every single one of his "preferred clubs". While we neither know if he's staying nor can plan for his replacement. Don't know how anyone can be a United fan and still be a Ronaldo fanboy (fanperson?) in the current state. What a wank*r.

Revaulx

That’s a hell of a big if!

Unless the realisation that clubs aren’t lining up to sign him has suddenly made him come to terms with his 37 year old self. It’s possible, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.