Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jurgen Plopp

BREAKING NEWS: Sir Alex Ferguson recalled from retirement to help United and Ronaldo. "If Ronaldo can still do it 38, i still can at 83" stated Sir Alex, as he blew the dust off his favourite football clogs.

Renegade

His going to play it off like he didn’t want to leave and this has been all blown out of proportion by the media & “fake news”

Our fans will fall for it of course.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Agree with your general point but Rooney is hardly a great example as he tried to force a move away too accusing the club of a lack of ambition and that too when the club was still at the top.
Rooney also played all over the pitch to the detriment of his own scoring record for the team, something you'll never ever see Ronaldo do.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
It’s hard to argue against the kms covered stats. I hate his bodylanguage and uninterested facal expression as well, it can really drain the energy out of a room. Still want him to start over Ronaldo, because he presses and we are more fluid with him than with Ronny.
Fair enough, I don't mind Martial at all and hopefully he will have his best season ever this year. We're going to need it. For me it was just amusing to read some of the criticism on Ronaldo, since it almost perfectly applies to our alternative #9 option in Martial as well. With him historically being quite a lazy player I don't know if he can press for 90 minutes game in game out, and his weird loan spell at Sevilla indicating he's clearly interested in himself first and foremost just like Ronaldo.

When both are feeling well they can still offer a lot to the team, and I think ideally we add another forward and should put our manager in a very 'difficult' position, with lots of options to choose from. Rather have Ten Hag facing some tough decisions to make so he really has to manage big and fragile egos, than him having too little options or decisions to make.

Slysi17

One of the things that boggles my mind is how can a finished player just generate so much discussion in here? I don't see anyone caring about about finished players, yet look at this thread.

The finished guy instead of being swept under the rug, has instead the most replies in any match thread in here every single week, has the most pressure from Cafe users, is the most scrutinized, is always the one with the seemingly magic power to bend an entire group of 30 people into his will (while being none other than a finished football player), the list goes on and on. Ironically, I don't see half of this going on in threads about those other United players that are at their peaks and are essential to the club, like Rashford and Maguire.
How the hell is Harry Maguire essential for Manchester Uniteds future. Was trash last season and should be kicked out.

BackfromtheRed

One of the things that boggles my mind is how can a finished player just generate so much discussion in here? I don't see anyone caring about about finished players, yet look at this thread.

The finished guy instead of being swept under the rug, has instead the most replies in any match thread in here every single week, has the most pressure from Cafe users, is the most scrutinized, is always the one with the seemingly magic power to bend an entire group of 30 people into his will (while being none other than a finished football player), the list goes on and on. Ironically, I don't see half of this going on in threads about those other United players that are at their peaks and are essential to the club, like Rashford and Maguire.
I think you've answered your own question !!

The problem is that Ronaldo is an outsized "phenomenon", due to his track record, yet as a player, today, he is at nowhere near that level. And he seems to have a monster ego to match that makes him - potentially - a disruptive influence. He appears to have no interest in he classic "older statesman" role that a Juan Mata or Carrick played, coming in when required, doing their best, helping younger players and so on.

His desire to play in the CL is understandable, at one level, but none of the clubs with any chance of doing well want him, and even Sporting seem to be demurring, wondering if he would disrupt rather than help the up and coming young players there.

In reality, he is probably best used as an impact sub when United are chasing a game, when they will be pushing up anyway and would have a man left up high. But I don't think he's ready to accept that.

Bottom line is - he is a risk of being a problem, regardless of how good he is.

MrEleson

Some of these global sports figures have a social media/PR guy who handle their accounts and reply as if it’s them. We don’t even know if he’s the one actually typing in those comments. I know in tennis for example, these huge stars like Federer and Nadal don’t actually write the posts/comments themselves. So who knows.
Exactly. I really don’t think it’s him writing it. Most likely his social media manager (Mendes’ daughter) that is writing these comments. From his interview with Piers Morgan, you can tell that he probably doesn’t even know how to use his Instagram properly.

Kopral Jono

This is just as false a memory.

The reality is Ole was ok, and doing absolutely ok until last season. It’s that simple. It wasn’t great, it wasn’t atrocious. Most wanted it to work because it was Ole but in the end the wheels fell off, it’s fine, he went when he needed to and he remains a Manchester United legend. The league table at the end of a season doesn’t lie, however many excuses you want to make up.

The constant bleating on like he’s the worst manager in history is just so fecking boring because it’s blatantly absolute nonsense. He was ok, and now he’s gone, that’s it.
On bolded: not really. Such low standards. After the highs of Parc des Princes we were beyond shocking in the last few months of Ole's first season in charge. The cherry on top was that embarrassing defeat at home against Cardiff in the final game of that season.

And even after we signed the players he wanted in Wan-Bissaka, James and Maguire for £80m over the summer ahead of his first full season, we were fecking eighth on the table come Christmas. We only improved after we signed Bruno, which to me is the single best thing he did for us as manager. I'm so happy this managerial genius is no longer at our football club.

Last edited:

mshnsh

Zlatan isn’t even a 10th as good as Ronaldo and certainly isn’t a patch on what he’s won. Not to mention that cnut ran his mouth when he was here but as usual bottled it in big matches. If a fraud like him could have that sort of ego, imagine the ego Ronaldo would have?
You are underrating Zlatan and overrating Ronaldo.

I'd have Ronaldo ahead of Zlatan purely because he is faster and a better goalscorer. Zlatan has better hold up play, probably passing ability (who doesn't) and is less selfish (who isn't?).

bakalhau

I really hope the home crowd give it to him when ever he starts or comes on. Getting booed every time he touches the ball. I"d love to see how his "I am the king mind" handles that. I know it wont happen but it is the only way to let him know how he is making ETH's job a lot harder and the fans are not happy with his self righteousness.
I hope they do, the more they boo the better Ronaldo plays :lol:

@Slysi17 I was being sarcastic about Maguire and Rashford ahah. Point was, there's a lot of discussion centered around what should be a finished player (according to the Caf), yet I don't see half of it going on with players that United fans should really be worried about in terms of performances on the pitch.

Last edited:

NewYorkRed

We should all hope our only 25+ goal player leaves the club. Its for the best, because clearly we’ve got goals in abundance in this team and klopp and pep don’t play with number 9s which is why they didn’t both just splash the cash on two…number 9s.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
We should all hope our only 25+ goal player leaves the club. Its for the best, because clearly we’ve got goals in abundance in this team and klopp and pep don’t play with number 9s which is why they didn’t both just splash the cash on two…number 9s.
Yes and being reliant on a 38 year old granpda is the way to go right?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
And thats why this club is sinking like the titanic
United has been sinking for 8 years now. For United’s sake I wish that their only or biggest issue was having a 37 year old Ronaldo who was fighting for leagues top scorer.

The club is rotten top to bottom and I don’t think the board have a clue on how to fix it.

ETH on paper looks like a move in the right direction but even he could fail with the backing he has from Woodward and co.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
His going to play it off like he didn’t want to leave and this has been all blown out of proportion by the media & “fake news”

Our fans will fall for it of course.
Of course we will. Emotionally we're like children. I'm going to cheer every time he scores this season, defending him on this forum until my thumbs bleed, and then next summer when he wants out again I'll go back to calling him a cnut. It's the circle of life.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Well considering he’s your best player……
Being the best player is irrelevant when he's detrimental to the entire team's ability to play together, and his selfishness harms the club. That in itself means he isn't the best player.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I've seen some very weird takes in this thread but blaming Ronaldo for the rest of the team playing rubbish last season is absolutely ludicrous.
totally agree. it's the usual "let's blame one player" tactic. In the past it was Rooney and before that Carrick

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Being the best player is irrelevant when he's detrimental to the entire team's ability to play together, and his selfishness harms the club. That in itself means he isn't the best player.
and how do you know his affect on others? Has he told you? or have you been reading the rubbish here and in the newspapers?

MrEleson

You are underrating Zlatan and overrating Ronaldo.

I'd have Ronaldo ahead of Zlatan purely because he is faster and a better goalscorer. Zlatan has better hold up play, probably passing ability (who doesn't) and is less selfish (who isn't?).
And you’re overrating Zlatan and underrating Ronaldo.
Ronaldo at his dribbling peak is a far far better dribbler. Better crosser of the ball, more tactically flexible in his prime (could play on either wing to a world class level or through the middle); etc.
He’s on a different planet to Zlatan.

Last edited:

Irwin99

Providing he knuckles down (which he is capable of doing) I'm happy for him to stay. Time is needed for this rebuild and the problems in defence, midfield have to be addressed before we can find another striker.

I want Martial and Rashford to succeed and get back to something like their best form but that's far from certain and we don't know how the season will unfold. All the attention on pressing from the front and pressures is all very nice but... I also want my strikers to put the ball in the back of the net, something which Ronaldo is very good at. It's pretty obvious that's why ten Hag is so keen to have him at the club.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
and how do you know his affect on others? Has he told you? or have you been reading the rubbish here and in the newspapers?
All any of us have got to go on are the news reports, no matter which side of the fence we fall on. It's pretty clear that there's divisions, even Ronaldo said it himself in his big interview last season. Visibly I saw his strops on the pitch and bench last year, Maguire's clearly not keen on him, his agent has actively been shopping him around ala Pogba. None of that is conclusive evidence but if folk have your permission to support him then they should have permission to criticize him because we're all working from the same material.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
This has been disproven time and time again.

Ronaldos only issue is the wages he receives. Questioning his quality and what he can offer to the team is nonsense.

Blaming The only good player in United last season for the reason the team was garbage is the most red cafe thing to do.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
All any of us have got to go on are the news reports, no matter which side of the fence we fall on. It's pretty clear that there's divisions, even Ronaldo said it himself in his big interview last season. Visibly I saw his strops on the pitch and bench last year, Maguire's clearly not keen on him, his agent has actively been shopping him around ala Pogba. None of that is conclusive evidence but if folk have your permission to support him then they should have permission to criticize him because we're all working from the same material.
Given choice of Ronaldo or maguire, I know who I'd pick! But, as you say, no real evidence bu of course you can criticise him but as ever here, some are blaming him for starting both world wars, the pandemic and the financial crash...

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Given choice of Ronaldo or maguire, I know who I'd pick! But, as you say, no real evidence bu of course you can criticise him but as ever here, some are blaming him for starting both world wars, the pandemic and the financial crash...
Yeah, it goes too far. For what it's worth there's a difference between criticising Ronaldo and just being plain negative, which happens a lot. People were claiming that Ronaldo wouldn't press at all last year under Rangnick before he even had a chance, and whilst he didn't set the world a light there were moments when he was as deep as Shaw's position trying to gain possession.

Like I said earlier, I'll be calling him a cnut up until his next Sui moment, and then I'll be dancing around like a Muppet.

Red_toad

Christ, this worship of the guy is insufferable.
Can't wait until he leaves and his cult follows him.
He was our best outfield player last season. He isn't responsible for the running of the team. He's always been out for himself, but is very professional with regard to his training and lifestyle. I completely understand why he wants out, it isn't the fans causing his issues, but the fans thing spewling bile at certain players constantly is going to solve the issues the club has, when it simply isn't the case.
'If' Ronaldo goes we need a replacement. 'If' he stays the fans should get behind him and want the best for the team, he'll score a fair number of goals, of that I have no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.