Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpWithRivers

What I dont get is why say you want out if you have nowhere to go. You would have thought Mendes would have informally sounded out a few clubs before threatening to leave. Makes no sense. All it has done is piss everyone off and ruin his reputation. And for what? Or there is a club and agreement but United wont let him go. Which would be stupid

MrEleson

What I dont get is why say you want out if you have nowhere to go. You would have thought Mendes would have informally sounded out a few clubs before threatening to leave. Makes no sense. All it has done is piss everyone off and ruin his reputation. And for what? Or there is a club and agreement but United wont let him go. Which would be stupid
Well the latter could be a possibility seeing as he’s reportedly so desperate for the club to release him for free. I doubt he wants to be released to be a free agent and play no football with no pay. He must’ve had somewhere lined up.

DavelinaJolie

Some of you guys are hilarious. You don’t want him in the team yet are crying that he wants leave.
Didn’t want him to sign for City last season yet are mad that our club signed him and stopped that from happening.

With Ronaldo it’s always be damned if you do or be damned if you don’t.

If he stays and is professional and gets on with it, I’m 100% sure there’ll be something else that has people foaming at the mouth about him.
You know what's tedious? People coming along like clockwork generalising the opinions and responses of a bunch of different fans. Instead of actually trying to make a valid point just strawman it up.

UpWithRivers

On another note United already have a King and thats still Eric and that was bestowed by the fans

MrEleson

Zlatan isn't annoying most of the time as he says things to be funny. You can see him laughing when he goes I'm a lion and shit. This twat has 0 self awareness and is an egomaniac to boot
Zlatan has a massive ego though. You’d be blind to say he doesn’t and he isn’t close to Ronaldo’s level.

MrEleson

You know what's tedious? People coming along like clockwork generalising the opinions and responses of a bunch of different fans. Instead of actually trying to make a valid point just strawman it up.
It’s not a generalisation though. And I did say “some.” I’ve seen specific people in here that fit hat description perfectly.

RoLo

Almost 38 and at the very tail end of his career, you understand the insecurity and braggadocious of calling himself the King. However, I don't remember Messi calling himself such titles.
First of all not everything has to be reduced to Ronaldo Vs Messi. Both men can do things in their lives without the question of what the other would do in that same situation being raised.

Secondly, Messi has done multiple photoshoots with actual goats and released a crisp flavour with his face on it called G.O.A.T Cheese. He's no stranger to braggadocio himself.

You don't make it to the levels these two have without a borderline otherworldly level of self confidence.

MrEleson

Almost 38 and at the very tail end of his career, you understand the insecurity and braggadocious of calling himself the King. However, I don't remember Messi calling himself such titles.
Messi called himself a lion under a post on IG some years back.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Ronaldo can do what he wants but needs to understand that he’s lost my follow on Instagram forever. I’m following Messi instead now and replying to his every post with the crown and goat emojis.

These are the motherfecking consequences of your motherfecking actions, Cristiano.

Trex

Zlatan has a massive ego though. You’d be blind to say he doesn’t and he isn’t close to Ronaldo’s level.
Zlatan has a big personality, he doesn't come across as insecure. He is more self aware and says a lot of what he does for the show. He doesn't compete with anyone, looking over his shoulders he is Zlatan.

LARulz

He is going to be terrible when he retires isn't he? Constantly on social or giving mental interviews

Varun

Staff
Of course he has an ego. A ridiculous level of self belief is needed to get where these guys have but the blind jibe aside, no, he's not an ego maniac like Ronaldo who's burning all bridges at the club who held him as a slave and the one he dreamt of as a kid. All in chase of 10 CL goals or whatever

Pickle85

Zlatan has a big personality, he doesn't come across as insecure. He is more self aware and says a lot of what he does for the show. He doesn't compete with anyone, looking over his shoulders he is Zlatan.
In fairness, Zlatan never had the entire footballing world discussing whether he was a better player than, say, Lewandowski. I don't disagree that Ronaldo is an egomaniac and can come across as insecure, but he's had the entire footballing world talking about him and (probably most) talking about how he's not as good as Messi for years.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Dalot at Milan 20/21 season vs. last season here:
xA: 0,10 at Milan, 0,05 here
NpxG: 0,06 at Milan, 0,04 here
He did a bit more progressive passes this season but was in general less productive, and the quality of his crosses was not of the same quality as in earlier seasons.
Dribblers tackled: 1,90 at Milan, 1,37 here
Pressures: 14,86 at Milan, 11,59 here
Tackles: 3,06 at Milan, 2,90 here
Interceptions: 1,49 vs. 2,2 (!)
One could argue he is better at some things and worse at other things, but it’s hard to argue that he’s become a noticably better player defensively, but he has certainly not become a better attacking fullback since he came back from Italy. His many crosses was without address all season.
All this shows is at Milan he was playing more in the opposition half rather at United where we sat back and wait for the breaks.
So the data presented is accurate in all sense but it says nothing about the players progress or regression over the years. More to do with how our team is set up to play than his execution.
Just like most people keeping arguing here, these presentation of data is getting tedious in trying explain issues. Context and data go hand in hand or else they are meaningless.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I look back far more fondly on Zlatan’s time at the club over Ronaldo’s return. On top of the goals he scored, Zlatan’s character seemed to unite the dressing room rather than poison it. As far as I can tell, it’s the same wherever he goes which tells me the ego thing is just for marketing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He is the reason it doesn't function..

He demands the ball ALL the time even when it's not the best option and he berates those who don't give it him.

He is only playing to stat pad these days, he cares not for the team or his team mates.
So he both "demands the ball all the time" yet you people claim he contributes nothing to build ups.
It can't be both surely?

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I thought that achieving goat level success, multi millionaire, global brand/superstar etc would put you above spending your time trawling through instagram, commenting on shitty gossip about yourself. Like that whole Zlatan attitude about lions and sheep.
I also assumed that a man in his late 30s with 5 kids and tons of commitments would have better things to do with his time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When the feck did we press under Solksjaer :lol:
People seem to have this false memory of how we were under Ole.
Most games we just about scraped comebacks, not down to any great system or hard work, but simply on having better players than the opposition.
With no fans, our players had less pressure, and Chelsea and Liverpool had half a season of craziness.
They seem to think we went from this brilliant tactically sound machine to it all blowing up with Ronaldo on board
The truth is that team were always massively blagging on from their true level.
Throw in some outrageously poor form from the likes of the defence and we dropped a huge gear.

phelans shorts

Most games we just about scraped comebacks, not down to any great system or hard work, but simply on having better players than the opposition.
With no fans, our players had less pressure, and Chelsea and Liverpool had half a season of craziness.
They seem to think we went from this brilliant tactically sound machine to it all blowing up with Ronaldo on board
Throw in some outrageously poor form from the likes of the defence and we dropped a huge gear.
This is just as false a memory.

The reality is Ole was ok, and doing absolutely ok until last season. It’s that simple. It wasn’t great, it wasn’t atrocious. Most wanted it to work because it was Ole but in the end the wheels fell off, it’s fine, he went when he needed to and he remains a Manchester United legend. The league table at the end of a season doesn’t lie, however many excuses you want to make up.

The constant bleating on like he’s the worst manager in history is just so fecking boring because it’s blatantly absolute nonsense. He was ok, and now he’s gone, that’s it.

Lightbringer

When is the deadline where Ronaldo cant leave until January? When does the transfer window close?

Ralph1386

I thought that achieving goat level success, multi millionaire, global brand/superstar etc would put you above spending your time trawling through instagram, commenting on shitty gossip about yourself. Like that whole Zlatan attitude about lions and sheep.
I also assumed that a man in his late 30s with 5 kids and tons of commitments would have better things to do with his time.
Some of these global sports figures have a social media/PR guy who handle their accounts and reply as if it’s them. We don’t even know if he’s the one actually typing in those comments. I know in tennis for example, these huge stars like Federer and Nadal don’t actually write the posts/comments themselves. So who knows.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I disagree with this.

If you can’t see how simple as a thing of going from Bruno Fernándes as the main performing and tactical player of United to Cristiano Ronaldo as our striker; then that shows the difference between 2nd season and the last.

A significant yet simple difference that changed how we played and where we landed in the league.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some of these global sports figures have a social media/PR guy who handle their accounts and reply as if it’s them. We don’t even know if he’s the one actually typing in those comments. I know in tennis for example, these huge stars like Federer and Nadal don’t actually write the posts/comments themselves. So who knows.
Plus it was written in another language, that people are taking as gospel is 1)an accurate translation and 2)was meant in that way.

The same people who believe every single link the media have made up is genuine will see the worst though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

The reality is Ole was ok, and doing absolutely ok until last season. It’s that simple. It wasn’t great, it wasn’t atrocious. Most wanted it to work because it was Ole but in the end the wheels fell off, it’s fine, he went when he needed to and he remains a Manchester United legend. The league table at the end of a season doesn’t lie, however many excuses you want to make up.

The constant bleating on like he’s the worst manager in history is just so fecking boring because it’s blatantly absolute nonsense. He was ok, and now he’s gone, that’s it.
I'd have loved him to succeed.
But everyone feared it was the ultimate house built on sand setup. And so it proved.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Which of these 3 players necessitated a change in our tactics? Did we stop pressing from the front because of Varane or Sancho?
I mean, actually, kind of, yeah?... those were the signings we intended to make and as a result deliberately tried to shift to a much more attacking possession style, as opposed to the almost entirely counter attacking style we’d employed previously under Ole.

This was even something Ole said he was doing, and wanted to do. To play games on the front foot higher up the pitch. Something we were rarely ever doing (we certainly weren’t pressing??) and Varane and Sancho were supposed to aid this…

Except that some of our players - notably Maguire, Wan Bissaka, McTominey and to a lesser extent Shaw - aren’t actually very well suited to playing high up the pitch. It’s one thing to be a very good defender on the backfoot, where you’re camped in your own box and heading things away, making tackles & interceptions and bringing the ball out are key… and another altogether being a good one against breakaways - where pace and positioning are more important as you’re mostly on the halfway line with loads of pitch behind you. Varane is used to one of these, Maguire is used to the other (or having 5 at the back with England)

It surely makes a lot more sense that we lost games by embarrassing scorelines and shipped loads of goals because our defenders couldn’t adapt to a new system, than because we signed one striker? Especially as we were still leaking chances in the games he didn’t play… Even the one we played before he signed!.. Where Varane was supposedly shocked by the amount of work he had to do vs Wolves (they had 15 shots to our 10 and we squeaked a jammy last minute Greenwood winner) which Ole jokingly put down to the pace of the Premiere League, rather than our suicidal new tactics not suiting our slow defenders.

Which isn’t to say that Ronaldo didn’t create problems. But the idea we suddenly fell to shit defensively because of one striker who didn’t play a lot of games we were also still shit in, is such weirdly convenient one size revisionism.

Last edited:

Acquire Me

As a portuguese United fan, who has been a massive supporter of Ronaldo (obviously), I must say now, after seeing these past couple of weeks that I do not support the attitude of the man.
Man United,as the biggest club in the world, deserves a lot more respect and these weeks have been close to ridiculous.
Having said this, I do think CR is a legend of the club and a lot of stuff that is said here comes as unfair but I really do understand the frustation and anger of many supporters towards Ronaldo.

After all, only one thing matters: Manchester United! Above it all.
Lets be champions this year!
I think that Ronaldo is a legend of the game, but his attitude now will not help him get a legend status at United.

Now most fans would like to see him leave. If he stay, he must show excellent spirit around EtH and the other players.

I just don’t like the all about me attitude.

Irrational.

I think Ronaldo’s losing the plot a bit. Martial has changed his attitude, has worked his butt off and reaped the rewards in pre-season, looking a completely different player. Ronaldo has sulked and missed the majority of pre-season, and he has the audacity to dictate when he is and isn’t playing.

I hope ETH puts him in his place and relegates him to a bench role until he’s up to speed - Martial deserves to start in the first game of the season. Any histrionics - ship him out. Don’t do what people pleaser Ole did.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I disagree with this.

If you can’t see how simple as a thing of going from Bruno Fernándes as the main performing and tactical player of United to Cristiano Ronaldo as our striker; then that shows the difference between 2nd season and the last.

A significant yet simple difference that changed how we played and where we landed in the league.
The biggest loser will definitely be Fernandes if Ronaldo decides to stay. (Apart from Martial, of course, but I think he can possibly play out wide under Ten Hag too)

AndySmith1990

Of course any news that
Zlatan has an ego in as far as he's secure in who he is and confident in his ability. Ronaldo comes across as a man child who constantly wants the world to tell him how great he is and sulks when he doesn't get all the attention. Very different personalities; one of them is actually quite likeable and the other is an insufferable cnut

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think that Ronaldo is a legend of the game, but his attitude now will not help him get a legend status at United.

Now most fans would like to see him leave. If he stay, he must show excellent spirit around EtH and the other players.

I just don’t like the all about me attitude.
The so-called most professional human being ever made™ this summer refused to do his job for his team because he was concerned about his individual accolades.

Doesn’t scream legend to me. He forfeited that title when he forced his way out at 24 by comparing himself to a slave. Cantona, Robson, Rooney all knew the importance of sacrifice for the greater good of the team. Ronaldo had the opposite effect last season and was bitching because he got subbed off.

MrEleson

The so-called most professional human being ever made™ this summer refused to do his job for his team because he was concerned about his individual accolades.

Doesn’t scream legend to me. He forfeited that title when he forced his way out at 24 by comparing himself to a slave. Cantona, Robson, Rooney all knew the importance of sacrifice for the greater good of the team. Ronaldo had the opposite effect last season and was bitching because he got subbed off.
Agree with your general point but Rooney is hardly a great example as he tried to force a move away too accusing the club of a lack of ambition and that too when the club was still at the top.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Agree with your general point but Rooney is hardly a great example as he tried to force a move away too accusing the club of a lack of ambition and that too when the club was still at the top.
True, but in hindsight he had a point. We were penny pinching in the market, and it’s nothing that fans haven’t also been saying themselves. Ultimately he wanted what was best for the team. As well as a pay rise, but we can’t begrudge him that. Keane did the same a decade before.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

True

the_cliff

The good thing is with Ronaldo's attitude this summer, if he throws a tantrum this season while being subbed off the fans will have a lot less patience with him. I think Ronaldo has gone about this the wrong way, he's managed to piss off the only fanbase that really loved him. Juve fans and Madrid fans (even though he's actually their legend) couldn't give a toss about him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I mean, actually, kind of, yeah?... those were the signings we intended to make and as a result deliberately tried to shift to a much more attacking possession style, as opposed to the almost entirely counter attacking style we’d employed previously under Ole.

This was even something Ole said he was doing, and wanted to do. To play games on the front foot higher up the pitch. Something we were rarely ever doing (we certainly weren’t pressing??) and Varane and Sancho were supposed to aid this…

Except that some of our players - notably Maguire, Wan Bissaka, McTominey and to a lesser extent Shaw - aren’t actually very well suited to playing high up the pitch. It’s one thing to be a very good defender on the backfoot, where you’re camped in your own box and heading things away, making tackles & interceptions and bringing the ball out are key… and another altogether being a good one against breakaways - where pace and positioning are more important as you’re mostly on the halfway line with loads of pitch behind you. Varane is used to one of these, Maguire is used to the other (or having 5 at the back with England)

It surely makes a lot more sense that we lost games by embarrassing scorelines and shipped loads of goals because our defenders couldn’t adapt to a new system, than because we signed one striker? Especially as we were still leaking chances in the games he didn’t play… Even the one we played before he signed!.. Where Varane was supposedly shocked by the amount of work he had to do vs Wolves (they had 15 shots to our 10 and we squeaked a jammy last minute Greenwood winner) which Ole jokingly put down to the pace of the Premiere League, rather than our suicidal new tactics not suiting our slow defenders.

Which isn’t to say that Ronaldo didn’t create problems. But the idea we suddenly fell to shit defensively because of one striker who didn’t play a lot of games we were also still shit in, is such weirdly convenient one size revisionism.
Your last line is spot on.
How people think Ronaldo is the sole reason for some of the horrific defending I'll never know.
The Ole-ball system was the ultimate house built on sand tactics, everyone knew it couldn't last. We got away with it for 3/4 of a season due to a range of reasons but it wasn't going to last, and it's clear Ole himself knew that.

Status
Not open for further replies.