Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

Could we make a direct player swap with Napoli? Ronaldo for Fabian Ruiz

GreatDane

Yes, Ronnie, we get it. You've got the absolute peak physique for a footballer. Well done. I'm eating a packet of crisps and scratching my arse in front of the TV.
I recommend using a different hand for scratching your arse than the one you're using for crisps.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
and how do you know his affect on others? Has he told you? or have you been reading the rubbish here and in the newspapers?
A player who has a meeting with his agent and the club leaders without even having taken part in the pre-season is not someone who is overly concerned about putting the team above his own self interest.

Of course the knowledge that he doesnt want to be there is going to have an impact on the squad. The degree of impact is largely individual, some will care more than others. The fact that other clubs have flat out come out and said that they dont want to sign him since he doesnt fit into their team profile, should also be an indication that there are more people than Redcafe armchair managers that see a problem with Ronaldos ability to function as part of a team, over a big time individual performer.

Green Yellow Red

My initial thought before we got CR7 back was it was the wrong time and too late, I was against the transfer but then I like most got somewhat caught up in the excitement and the desire for him not to go to City..... ultimately my first instinct was right.

MrEleson

The fact that other clubs have flat out come out and said that they dont want to sign him since he doesnt fit into their team profile, should also be an indication that there are more people than Redcafe armchair managers that see a problem with Ronaldos ability to function as part of a team, over a big time individual performer.
It was only Bayern that came out and spoke about it in detail and they didn’t actually state they wouldn’t sign him because of the reasons you’ve outlined. They said he didn’t “fit their philosophy” which could mean multiple things including how old he is (he’s ancient) and his salary. Kahn complimented him as being a great player in the same sentence.

Tuchel was coy and never actually gave an answer. Atletico Madrid president said the rumours were purely made up (never actually talked about Ronaldo’s quality as a player).

Any other team he was linked with was pure fiction as far as we know.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I’m absolutely fed up of this bellend. I hope he finds a suitor but no surprise he can’t.

Irwin99

So the damage control has begun.
yup :lol:

He's on very thin ice with the fans but i hope he doesn't get booed even though perhaps he deserves it. Pretty obvious ten Hag wants/rates him and I think we might need him, at least until a proper replacement is identified.

Idxomer

yup :lol:

He's on very thin ice with the fans but i hope he doesn't get booed even though perhaps he deserves it. Pretty obvious ten Hag wants/rates him and I think we might need him, at least until a proper replacement is identified.
The best thing the fans could do tomorrow is to ignore him completely.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
He's going to go out there and score a few amazing goals and most of the angry fans will start singing his name again. It'll feel like deja vu.

The Firestarter

The fact that a 37-year-old man makes a point to roll up his shorts like that to show off all his muscles is just so pathetic.
Footballers usually are immature for a good part of their careers but he is in a completely different galaxy.

NewYorkRed

The coach that was supposed to get rid of him wants him. Shocking. Lets call a spade a spade fellas you guys just don’t like the man, for whatever reason (I can think of one pretty tiny one). I mean posters are getting mad at him showing his quads off, it is triggering them haha. What a bunch of losers. Can’t wait till he scores a hattrick and you lot moan about it.

georgipep

I mean, actually, kind of, yeah?... those were the signings we intended to make and as a result deliberately tried to shift to a much more attacking possession style, as opposed to the almost entirely counter attacking style we’d employed previously under Ole.

This was even something Ole said he was doing, and wanted to do. To play games on the front foot higher up the pitch. Something we were rarely ever doing (we certainly weren’t pressing??) and Varane and Sancho were supposed to aid this…

Except that some of our players - notably Maguire, Wan Bissaka, McTominey and to a lesser extent Shaw - aren’t actually very well suited to playing high up the pitch. It’s one thing to be a very good defender on the backfoot, where you’re camped in your own box and heading things away, making tackles & interceptions and bringing the ball out are key… and another altogether being a good one against breakaways - where pace and positioning are more important as you’re mostly on the halfway line with loads of pitch behind you. Varane is used to one of these, Maguire is used to the other (or having 5 at the back with England)

It surely makes a lot more sense that we lost games by embarrassing scorelines and shipped loads of goals because our defenders couldn’t adapt to a new system, than because we signed one striker? Especially as we were still leaking chances in the games he didn’t play… Even the one we played before he signed!.. Where Varane was supposedly shocked by the amount of work he had to do vs Wolves (they had 15 shots to our 10 and we squeaked a jammy last minute Greenwood winner) which Ole jokingly put down to the pace of the Premiere League, rather than our suicidal new tactics not suiting our slow defenders.

Which isn’t to say that Ronaldo didn’t create problems. But the idea we suddenly fell to shit defensively because of one striker who didn’t play a lot of games we were also still shit in, is such weirdly convenient one size revisionism.
We didn't play high defensive line because of De Gea, not the defenders. If you look at the games with Henderson in goal, we played about 10m further up the pitch.

And we were going to a much more offensive, possession based play until Ronaldo came back.

But with him, no front line pressing worked and..well, both Ole and Ralf looked like fools trying to figure out a way to fit Ronaldo in this attack while not subjugation the entire team to him. And they failed.

mshnsh

It was only Bayern that came out and spoke about it in detail and they didn’t actually state they wouldn’t sign him because of the reasons you’ve outlined. They said he didn’t “fit their philosophy” which could mean multiple things including how old he is (he’s ancient) and his salary. Kahn complimented him as being a great player in the same sentence.

Tuchel was coy and never actually gave an answer. Atletico Madrid president said the rumours were purely made up (never actually talked about Ronaldo’s quality as a player).

Any other team he was linked with was pure fiction as far as we know.
I bet you could sleep with Ronaldo.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He'll get cheered tomorrow most likely, it's a friendly so imagine a lot of families and young kids will be present who will idolise him.

Be interesting how it goes once the season starts though, seems nailed to start on the bench against Brighton (Martial fitness permitting) so hopefully shouldn't disrupt things too much.

Glorio

The fact that a 37-year-old man makes a point to roll up his shorts like that to show off all his muscles is just so pathetic.
Ah come on, I'm as done with the Ronaldo drama as the next guy (I really wish he leaves and we replace him with quality from somewhere), but there's nothing in this - it's classic Ronaldo

Ladron de redcafe

Are you just fabricating fake stuff to fit your opinion here?
Martial 19/20 season:
13,5 pressings/90 - average compared all other attacking players in the top 5 leagues.
Ronaldo 21/22 season:
6,5 pressings/90 - number 850 out of 850 midfielders and attackers in the top 5 leagues.

How is that similar?
That still boggles the mind :D

Joeycha88

I just hope Ronnie realizes his situation and becomes a leader for us this season. If ETH gets a motivated Ronnie upfront, playing his system, I’ll be very excited!!

worldinmotion66

If he's limited to substitute appearances to start with, ronaldo could be a really useful weapon. I don't think he deserves more than that but if he knuckles down and takes on board the tactical instruction, I don't see any reason to not integrate him back in, form dependent.

He's a bellend with an inflated ego. But he's also a winner. One more season and he can do one.

mu4c_20le

There are posters like @shamans that follow me around everywhere I go. Pathetic is most definitely the right word :lol:
It's actually really easy to run a search on your posts. I'd say 90% of your posts in the last couple of months is focused on those two players. This is just two random pages....

Like damn dude...

Bondi77

I hope those impressive muscles of his are up to pressing from the front and not just for show as there is no point pressing unless everyone does it.

Craig Kinghorn

Yes, Ronnie, we get it. You've got the absolute peak physique for a footballer. Well done. I'm eating a packet of crisps and scratching my arse in front of the TV.
Getting Patrick Bateman vibes from this pic,the fecking narcissism

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He needs to stay until we have good enough replacements. And no Martial is not good enough

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
And we were going to a much more offensive, possession based play until Ronaldo came back.
Yeah, like in the Wolves game, where we conceded 15 shots and were saved by a couple of goal line clearances and then smash & grabbed the win with a flukey Greenwood shot that went under the keeper! And unless you think Henderson would’ve played the majority of games had Ronaldo not re-signed, you’re kind of agreeing with me….

I’m not denying he brought a bunch of issues with him, but the idea that we were so open and got thrashed so readily last season solely because one central striker didn’t press enough (a thing we never did under Ole anyway) just isn’t sensible - to me, at any rate…. And way too convenient.

I mean, if that was the case, why didn’t we play glorious free flowing football every time he was out of the side? When he flew back to Portugal for R&R and whatever? If the muscle memory was there, what was stopping us? Were we all traumatised by the spectre of Ronaldo that we instinctively played as if he was still there? If anything IIRC our stats were slightly worse without him. (Which isn’t to say he improved us btw, just that surely there would’ve been some difference if he was the main cause?)

Last edited:

Red Bilko

Last Man Standing Hard Mode champion 2023/24
I don't know what to believe with regards to the rumours surrounding Ronaldo. Did he wanna go, didn't he? There's no smoke without fire, but he's the only quality finisher we have at the club. Until we find a ready replacement, i'm happy for him to be here.

NewYorkRed

I hope those impressive muscles of his are up to pressing from the front and not just for show as there is no point pressing unless everyone does it.
Then how do Bayern, Madrid etc get away with it? Because lewa and benzema’s pressing stats are similar to him. Also to keep singling him out for not pressing is such a lame and stupid thing to do. Have you seen the rest of our team’s pressing numbers? If yes, then why keep singling him out? Just stop with the agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.