Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Ralf changes the players, to no result. One constant in selection was Ronaldo. And our overall play, attacking output and team cohesion suffered massively. Confidence was shot, form was shot, morale was shot.

I think City were never really in for him and that was Mendes doing a brilliant job. But anyway, I still hope he goes to Sporting.
Sporting would be a nice end to the story. We would be seriously light in attack if he does go however.

AndySmith1990

Looks like we have no choice but to bring this dickhead back into the team. I can understand most clubs not wanting him, but I thought there would be at least one stupid enough to buy him for the marketing bullshit and 5 minutes of twitter fame it'd bring.

Just hope his role is warming the bench. Martial has been working hard and doing well in preseason, he deserves to be a starter over a scumbag who didn't bother to turn up to do his job

Zippycup

Looks like we have no choice but to bring this dickhead back into the team. I can understand most clubs not wanting him, but I thought there would be at least one stupid enough to buy him for the marketing bullshit and 5 minutes of twitter fame it'd bring.

Just hope his role is warming the bench. Martial has been working hard and doing well in preseason, he deserves to be a starter over a scumbag who didn't bother to turn up to do his job
If a happy Ronaldo was a problem in the dressing room last season what the hell is an unhappy one going to be.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

Martial couldn’t be arsed to break a sweat not long ago.

Ole'sattheWheel

If a happy Ronaldo was a problem in the dressing room last season what the hell is an unhappy one going to be.
The murmurs of him being unhappy came out quite quickly after he joined if I remember correctly. Low standards etc.

All rumoured of course - but it would make sense that he wasn't happy with us for basically all of last year with the results we were getting and the performances the rest of the team were putting in

georgipep

Sporting would be a nice end to the story. We would be seriously light in attack if he does go however.
I'd rather we buy a young talent (Sesko) and give them a short alongside injury prone and inconsistent Martial and still-not-back-to-form and not really good as #9 Rashford, then have Ronaldo in our squad.

There is also the option to use false 9s like Donny and Bruno. Elanga can play striker too. Ten Hag has also shown that attackers like Diallo and Hannibal can fit in, if lack of options requires it. I really hope we never get to resort to them as in my view they are completely useless in that position, but if need be...

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I don't care. New season, clean slate. He's been here doing his job and putting in the effort
Right, so if Ronaldo knuckles down now would you back him aswell? 3/4 of our forward line have wanted to leave in the past year alone. One even did, and was horrendously shite, nobody wanted him and now he’s back with us again. I’m willing to give Ronaldo another chance like all the others have been given.

Still think he’s going to go anyway so all this frothing at the mouth will end soon.

Zippycup

The murmurs of him being unhappy came out quite quickly after he joined if I remember correctly. Low standards etc.

All rumoured of course - but it would make sense that he wasn't happy with us for basically all of last year with the results we were getting and the performances the rest of the team were putting in
Yeah. Thinking back I think you're right.

Either way. It looks lile he is staying now. This will either he a disaster or a masterstroke by ten Hag. Here's hoping its the latter

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Either way. It looks lile he is staying now. This will either he a disaster or a masterstroke by ten Hag. Here's hoping its the latter
Don't think he has a great deal of choice in the matter.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Martial will start against Brighton and will be interesting to see how he reacts to the pressure of keeping Ronaldo on the bench once ETH thinks Ronny is match fit.

Going off past Martial I don't have much confidence he isn't on the bench by the end of August. Hope he can put a run together and prove me wrong as if Rashford also hits form, the two link up well.

As for the arguments about him staying or going, I hope he goes but it's starting to look unlikely. No doubt he is a great player still who will score goals, is a Untied legend and adds high standards. But for me, it is detriment to the team. Everything has to go through him and seems the squad is on edge to keep him happy. You can't have a player who thinks he is above everyone else.

Watching him live is very frustrating, offers zero movement for the majority of games, which in the modern premier league isn't good enough.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak

A manager known for his attention to detail and standards and a player known for his attention to detail and standards. I'm sure it will be fine.

Zippycup

Don't think he has a great deal of choice in the matter.
True. Although he openly said time and time again that Ronaldo wasn't going anywhere, so regardless of his choice in the matter the blame (or success) will ultimately at his feet.

Ole'sattheWheel

Yeah, he has a really tough predicament if he stays. He has a striker that wants out but nobody will take, but will also desperately want to play if he does stay and won't fit the system.
It will take a huge pair of manager Travellers to be the one that breaks it to CR7, arguably the best goalscorer of all time, that he's an ageing has-been who doesn't fit into the modern game - especially when he takes such good care of himself and is determined to carry on playing.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yep, and we know that Sancho was the one that squared to Maguire for captain. Sancho was the reason we couldn't press from the front. Sancho was the player who demanded every ball and then threw his arms in the air in frustration because he is a prima donna.

Totally! Let's sell Sancho! not...
Apparently one flaw logic of yours being found out you have to back off with another one.

So back to the pressing argument again, what a quick back off. Mbappe has similar pressing stats as Ronaldo, he was seen frustrated at times when Neymar not passing the ball to him too. What a shite player Mbappe was then, according to your 2nd flaw logic.

AndySmith1990

A manager known for his attention to detail and standards and a player known for his attention to detail and standards. I'm sure it will be fine.
Ronaldo's standards are all targeted at himself. Ten Hag's are focused on the team. I'm sure it won't be fine. But as usual with United we'll have to wait until we crash and burn before some people see it coming

Zippycup

Yeah, he has a really tough predicament if he stays. He has a striker that wants out but nobody will take, but will also desperately want to play if he does stay and won't fit the system.
It will take a huge pair of manager Travellers to be the one that breaks it to CR7, arguably the best goalscorer of all time, that he's an ageing has-been who doesn't fit into the modern game - especially when he takes such good care of himself and is determined to carry on playing.
Spot on.
Sadly, the club will put added pressure on ten Hag to play him because of his insane commercial value.
It'll be interesting to see how he does today and if he starts.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Spot on.
Sadly, the club will put added pressure on ten Hag to play him because of his insane commercial value.
It'll be interesting to see how he does today and if he starts.
Want him gone as much as anyone but I am 100% confident the club will not put ETH under any pressure to play him.

doomy20

Dickhead, Scumbag … why so rude? Yes Martial worked good in preseason (which basically means zero for the real season) and deserves a start in the first few games, where he needs to prove if he can be good enough or falls back into his old self. If he does, in the end, I‘d take a 25+ goal Ronaldo over the „I score 9 goals a season, constantly look depressed and miss sitters each game“ version of Martial all day. Hope he proves us wrong.

Woodzy

Controversial statement, and I’m not saying he will want to press or even be able to press up front for us, but Ronaldo was the only player that looked like he was putting a shifting in our last few games of last season when we downed tools. Basically what I’m saying is that I have no doubt he will be committed if he ends up staying.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Apparently one flaw logic of yours being found out you have to back off with another one.

So back to the pressing argument again, what a quick back off. Mbappe has similar pressing stats as Ronaldo, he was seen frustrated at times when Neymar not passing the ball to him too. What a shite player Mbappe was then, according to your 2nd flaw logic.
What attributes outside of scoring goals does Ronaldo possess now at his age that make him a top striker to lead the line for a top club in the PL? Think about the 5 or so things you would want in the profile of a lone striker to benefit the team and see what boxes Ronaldo ticks off.

Zippycup

There's no evidence the Glazers have ever influenced team selection. It has never even been suggested.
Not direct evidence but LVG indicated that we are a commercial club and not a football one based on his time there. That the Glazers put money above performance.

I don't think the Glazers would outright tell ten Hag to play Ronaldo but there are many means in which they could add pressure for him the "make that decision himself"

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What attributes outside of scoring goals does Ronaldo possess now at his age that make him a top striker to lead the line for a top club in the PL? Think about the 5 or so things you would want in the profile of a lone striker to benefit the team and see what boxes Ronaldo ticks off.
That’s the 3rd argument in 3 post.

Look I am not here to argue whether he is still among elite attacker at age 37, but to blame everything on Ronaldo on this toxic bashing thread doesn’t really do any help at all. It just a daily regeneration of toxicity here, nothing but hate/toxicity.

And we simply can’t afford to spend next season with Rashford/Martial as our only option up front. We need to find a replacement, whether Ronaldo is staying or leaving, and if we can’t find one, there’s no way we would let him go.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not direct evidence but LVG indicated that we are a commercial club and not a football one based on his time there. That the Glazers put money above performance.

I don't think the Glazers would outright tell ten Hag to play Ronaldo but there are many means in which they could add pressure for him the "make that decision himself"
That point from LVG is one of the dumbest that exists in Football. How does he think United became one of the wealthiest clubs in the world? The commercial side of the wealthiest clubs is what allows them to pay the likes of LVG and give them the opportunity to purchase expensive players.

There isn't a point where United forced a manager to play someone and United don't really sign players for commercial reasons, if we did we would be signing totally different players.

Greck

There's no evidence the Glazers have ever influenced team selection. It has never even been suggested.
Tbf there can never actually be concrete evidence for that sort of thing. Not like they put it in writing but if we try to persuade him to stay it may very well come with assurances. I mean benching him kind of runs contrary to the point of persuading Ronaldo to stay. The player already wants to leave, he'll jet off if we even suggest anything less than first team priority. Playing time is the minimum assurance in these situations. Why the general attitude coming out of the club is important. All the reports reek of submission.

Josep Dowling

Scoring goals is a pretty big one.

Lyng

To be fair we desperately lack clinical finishing.
Eriksen - Ronaldo would be deadly
Would prefer Ronaldo to leave, but only if we get a guaranteed clinical finisher instead.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
That’s the 3rd argument in 3 post.

Look I am not here to argue whether he is still among elite attacker at age 37, but to blame everything on Ronaldo on this toxic bashing thread doesn’t really do any help at all. It just a daily regeneration of toxicity here, nothing but toxicity.

And we simply can’t afford to spend next season with Rashford/Martial as our only option up front. We need to find a replacement, whether Ronaldo is staying or leaving, and if we can’t find one, there’s no way we would let him go.
I wasn’t part of the argument - I’m asking you a genuine question :lol:

And I completely agree with your last point. I’ve always stood up for martial but we’re likely 2 weeks away from him getting injured. We need a striker regardless of Ronaldo in my mind.

foolsgold

Want him gone as much as anyone but I am 100% confident the club will not put ETH under any pressure to play him.
Giving into such pressure would be a very un-dutch like thing to do. I've worked there and they are a stubborn people. ETH isn't going to have his team selection dictated by anyone. It's entirely possible he'd just walk and there's no way we can risk that.

On the subject of Ronaldo, if he doesn't want to be here, then he should go, no hard feelings. However if he stays, I have zero doubt about his professionalism, he's one of the games greatest goalscorers of all time, and I'd trust him to be 100% professional in everything he does, the idea that we'd play Elanga in front of him is farcical.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tbf there can never actually be concrete evidence for that sort of thing. Not like they put it in writing but if we try to persuade him to stay it may very well come with assurances. I mean benching him kind of runs contrary to the point of persuading Ronaldo to stay. The player already wants to leave, he'll jet off if we even suggest anything less than first team priority. Playing time is the minimum assurance in these situations.
And these assurances will come from the manager because he wants the player. Every player needs assurances, whether you are a star or a bench player, they all need and want to know if they are counted on and how. It has nothing to do with owners or United.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I wasn’t part of the argument - I’m asking you a genuine question :lol:

And I completely agree with your last point. I’ve always stood up for martial but we’re likely 2 weeks away from him getting injured. We need a striker regardless of Ronaldo in my mind.
Sure, but now you become the part, as you enter into middle of argument. :smirk:

But yeh, we do need a striker, that’s one thing we could all agree on.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
A player who has a meeting with his agent and the club leaders without even having taken part in the pre-season is not someone who is overly concerned about putting the team above his own self interest.

Of course the knowledge that he doesnt want to be there is going to have an impact on the squad. The degree of impact is largely individual, some will care more than others. The fact that other clubs have flat out come out and said that they dont want to sign him since he doesnt fit into their team profile, should also be an indication that there are more people than Redcafe armchair managers that see a problem with Ronaldos ability to function as part of a team, over a big time individual performer.
so the same was true of Messi and Barca last year?
Ronaldo lost a child a few weeks ago, maybe that's why he wasn't in the frame of mind to train. But the point is we don't now but people here ready to blame him for anything and everything. He was head and shoulders above lots of other players last season

foolsgold

What attributes outside of scoring goals does Ronaldo possess now at his age that make him a top striker to lead the line for a top club in the PL?
Scoring goals is actually really important, not something we should diminish, his goals carried us through the champions league groups stage last year.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Scoring goals is a pretty big one.
Not to the detriment of the team it isn’t. I think any top manager would take a Ronaldo that runs channels, makes constant intense runs in behind, holds the ball up, brings others into play and presses like a machine but scored 10 league goals last year than the one we got who scored 18. Ronaldo belongs in a front 2 - but we aren’t going to accommodate that as it doesn’t suit any of our other attacking players.

Idxomer

Controversial statement, and I’m not saying he will want to press or even be able to press up front for us, but Ronaldo was the only player that looked like he was putting a shifting in our last few games of last season when we downed tools. Basically what I’m saying is that I have no doubt he will be committed if he ends up staying.
He was playing mostly well when we started to play fewer games in the last couple of months. He needs his games to be managed properly, especially in a season where the World Cup is in November.

I think he should be looking for something like 25 starts in the league to make full use of what he could offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.