g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkydaz

I think he is better off staying at United, the attack is still poor and they're missing a lot of chances so it's something inevitable, specially if the team doesn't get a more clinical forward.. Then if he's so upset and wants to leave that badly the team should also facilitate his departure should a fair offer for him is made.
The season will be circus with him here, especially when Europa comes around

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It will be funny seeing the spin put out by his camp this week when they realise he's got no options whatsoever. Disastrous for us mind.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
Ronaldo is a legend & should be treated as such by United fans. The disrespect is ridiculous. He was basically called a spade a spade and he’s getting stick for it. Some of the highest paid players who’s won FA! And a captain who can’t fix his own problems (but is a good player overall I believe)

Can we place ages next to posters?

The Firestarter

Ronaldo is a legend & should be treated as such by United fans. The disrespect is ridiculous. He was basically called a spade a spade and he’s getting stick for it. Some of the highest paid players who’s won FA! And a captain who can’t fix his own problems (but is a good player overall I believe)

Can we place ages next to posters?
@carlbcfc : 15

Houdini

MLS would be ideal for him. Can score bangs of goals there and would be a media star again. Georgina would love to be in the spotlight too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wow. That Castles article is pretty damning. Mendes really needs to find Ronaldo a home sharpish because there’s no way he’s going to start pressing and buy into ten Hag’s philosophy if he stays. He’ll be limited to the squad role he is playing right now

Zidane1982

Just a heads up. I am 40 and been following and playing football all of my life. I have been reading this forum for almost 15 years. I have seen some of you condescend 'newbies' in the past while I have lurked, which makes me cringe, because how new someone is to a football forum has no relevance on how good a poster they are. There are loads of clueless posters on here and, frankly, I don't think your newbie system works, so I would appreciate no snarky comments about me being new from the usual cliquey suspects (not that I want to to keep posting anyway, i will say what I want to say and that will be it, assuming my post is allowed).

I hate Man United and this clown Ronaldo (probably Ronaldo more so). I acknowledge that he has been a top player but, honestly, I don't think he comes anywhere close to Messi, Maradona, Pele, Cruyff etc and he at best limps into the top ten of all time. I think his reputation is vastly out of proportion to his actual ability.The reasons I think he is overrated have mostly been covered by the poster Zehner on here ie the overreliance on goal stats at the expense of general contribution, which is also a feature of his return to your club because I agree with those who say that his goalscoring is far outweighed by the fact his team mates get worse with him in the team. Also the Americanisation of football with emphasis on stats, physique and celebrity. Ronaldo's been the same at every club to be honest, where he has needed an entire team set up for him to get him his out of context, inflated goal stats. Other reasons are I just much prefer players who are more technical than athletic, and who are more possession type players and great in tight spaces, whereas he's more of a pace and power merchant (which is why he is struggling so much now he's lost both). Admittedly in terms of stature and style of play I am much more like Messi or Maradona and can identify better with them (at my infinitely lower level of football, obviously) so it's natural I would prefer them to a tall, athletic counter-attack player like Ronaldo .Like I say I could write an essay on why I think he's overrated, but that isn't what I want to say.

There are two things I want to talk about: first, Ronaldo himself and his attitude and personality, and second, the celebrity culture which surrounds him and pervades this forum (the latter which I will cover in the next post).

On Ronaldo himself, it is quite obvious that he is a complete and utter cnut of a guy. First of all the rape allegations (which given what a creepy weirdo he appears to be you can imagine being very true). Some guys are wrongly accused but I don't believe he has been. He comes across as exactly the type of guy who think he is entitled to do anything he wants and is untouchable, and the same will have been true back when these incidents occurred (because there has been more than one allegation) as he has always believed himself above others. He's just so rich and powerful that I believe he got away with it, whereas less rich and powerful footballers rightly did not.

I think the thing about Ronaldo is there are a lot of myths surrouding his personality, and a lot of things people use to try to defend him. First, the charity work. Anyone with half a brain knows that celebrities do charity work for the PR for the most part, so it's obvious that guys like he and Beckham increase their popularity through PR and perversely become richer through their charity work as more (gullible) people start to follow them. They're essentially using charity work as an investment, which is disgusting. Not all celebrities are like this, but most are. Ronaldo especially is micro managed through his 'brand', with his pathetic and cringeworthy CR7 nickname and Siiiuu celebration being identifiable symbols to help recognise the guy. People peddle his brand when they call him by that name or imitate his celebration, and do other things. So that's one myth.

Second, we have the idea that Ronaldo is 'the hardest worker in football'. He probably does work hard, but I think there will be plenty of harder workers, they're just not as famous as him and, tied to the above, don't have his visibility or PR machine. This myth seems to come from his body (which is just the plastic gimp's vanity, to be quite frank). It is quite clear that he works out so his body looks good, and most of his training is centred on his fitness. He has done very little in the last 10 years to improve his frankly putrid pressing, hold up play, first touch, passing and dribbling (he was always a kick and run dribbler, not a proper weaving dribbler, when he did try to be the latter he was a kid and did stupid tricks all the time as you all know). If he was genuinely a hard worker he'd work harder on his actual ball work, but instead he develops his body which is pointless beause he is weak and slow as piss these days. I also doubt the 'professionalism' bollocks given how he has behaved this summer and his general attitude to others.

There also seems to be a subset of people who think that because team-mates don't speak out about him or other players that they must be popular (we seen this with the laughable defenders of that other overrated tosser, Pogba). Team-mates praise each other all the time, and rarely say anything bad about each other, ironically beause they are being professional. I wouldn't be surprised if loads of his ex-Real Madrid and Juventus and current United team-mates cannot stand him. Truthfully it is pretty obvios Ten Hag has zero time for the guy. He refused to attend when Modric (or Messi) won the Ballon 'dor (which, as an aside is a pointless award and glorified popularity contest and shows how petty he is that he cares so much about it). I am convinced for example that Benzema had a dig at him with his 'some players play poorly for 90 minutes then get named Man of the Match when they score the winner late on, I don't want to be that type of player' comment. Real Madrid have done far better without him than he has without them since he left, so I am sure they feel that they got too little credit, and he got too much because of the stats obsessives pervading modern football. Likewise his Juventus team-mates were probably fed up of the tactic 'feed Ronaldo with 10 chances a game and he will score one or two'.

Then there's the guy's so called 'self-belief'. Personally, I am not sure he is that confident. I think a lot of his arrogance is a front for rampant insecurity. He remembers how ugly he used to be pre dental work and plastic surgery (I still think he's ugly now and so do many women, but that's not the point) so he talks himself up as if he's better looking than guys like Brad Pitt and Henry Cavill, guys who in any realistic opinion are miles better looking than he is. The qualities he thinks he has excuse his actions in his eyes. For example, he said people hated him cos he was rich, handsome and successful, but he overlooks that there have been plenty of footballers who have been rich, successful and handsome (plenty much more handsome than him too) who aren't hated. For example guys like Totti, Pirlo, Cannavaro. There's been loads of good looking, talented, rich footballers who people have respect for so maybe he should realise it's probably just the fact he's a cnut. He is surrounded by sycophantic yes men, which contributes to his delusion and detachment from reality. Another example of this is thinking clubs would be lining up for 'the great Ronaldo' this summer, now he will be shocked that no fecker wants him. Shows he is really deluded.

On the football side of his 'arrogance', I think deep down he knows he is nowhere near as good a Messi (or myriad other players from history to be truthful) so he constantly overcompensates, talking himself up and calling himself the king etc. He is stuck in limbo between arrogance and insecurity, like any narcissist. Like they say the self-proclaimed best is far from the best. Fact is in the old Messi debate with him (which I know is very very boring but relevant to his psyche) the vast majority of football professionals think Messi is the much superior player, that is just the general consensus (and the truth) so he will just have to deal with it. Ultimately Messi offers far more than just goalscoring and he doesn't, he knows the only way to keep up with Messi in shallow people's eyes is to score more goals than him, which is why he's obsessed with his goal stats.

Sorry for any typos, I didn't proof read.

Last edited:

Zidane1982

Second post as that one was getting long.

I outlined some of his insecurity, but what interests me much much more is the celebrity culture surrounding the guy.

Celebrity culture has been studied, but frankly, this guy has an army of creepy, obsessive fans who defend him blindly as if they are related to him, when actually they don't know him and if they did he'd probably hate them. They defend him like they are related to him, these people make my skin crawl and it seems like there are millions of them. They remind me of royalists - completely irrational, terrible arguments, but are so slavishly devoted to a celebrity they spend all their time defending him and doing free PR.

There are loads of them on here and I will call them out: MrEleson, Peyroteto, The other Sporting CP guy, shamans, NewYorkRed, Cal?, Raoul, Sandikan, cyberman that Sonya lass, and numerous others. The funny thing is some of these people claim to hold balanced, 'centrist' opinions, they clearly can't see they are in love with the bellend. Probably the worst is Eleson - not only are his opinions wank, but it seems like EVERY post he makes (and there are many of them) is in defence of Ronaldo. I am starting to think he's been paid by Ronaldo's PR team. There is so much to do, play football, watch football, read books, watch TV shows and movies, listen to music, play games, read comics, tidy the house, go for a walk...but this guy and some of the others on here and elsewhere spend their every waking moment defending the honour of a stranger who wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. I find it extremely strange. I could go on about how pathetic celebrity cultists are (and Ronaldo and the royals probably have the worst examples), but I haven't seen this behaviour explicity called out on here.

Some of these buffoons talk like it is disrespectful to the clown to have him on the bench for the game, like he's some sort of undroppable God. fecking grow up you arse-licking sycophants: he's a past it finished footballer whose fortunes are completely inconsequential to your lives. I pity you.

I felt like I had to join to call out this behaviour, because it is completely anathema to how I live my life and these weirdos creep me the feck out. Anyone over the age of 16 who behaves like this is mentally unstable.

I really hope this post is allowed despite me taking shots at certain posters, because it really needs to be said. The benefit of the doubt this guy gets from the media and his arse licking fans is beyond the pale.

Last edited:

Lecland07

We need to sell him. £500,000 per week wages is insane for him, and would be enough to for another two or three players wages.

Throw in a free Zimmer frame to sweeten the deal.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
The season will be circus with him here, especially when Europa comes around
It's part of being in such a popular en mediatic team. I'm sure Ronaldo is already used to it but decisions need to be made based on the sporting project.

RedorDead21

Watching him get caught by a CB when he had a 10 foot head start was genuinely depressing.

I think the margin for error is too slim to let him figure out how to be effective without the pace he used to have. Maybe if we were able to dominate possession it would work, but it's just not happening right now.
Antony should help him I believe.

Dominos

castles is a cnut shitstirrer who only has loyalties to mourinho.

I very much doubt he knows anything and is just making shite up.
You do know this thread was started off the back of Castles breaking the news that Ronaldo had asked to leave? So he knew enough to be the first to report the request to leave, but at the same time doesn't know anything..

BerryBerryShrew

His ego won't allow it. It's not a matter of money.
He is well aware that Messi is taking home a megawage at PSG and he won't want to be seen getting substantially less than him. The only "out" for him (in terms of pride) is to go to Sporting on pretty much feck all wages and make it seem like a dream to be back to where it all started.

In Cristiano Ronaldo’s head the sporting project is “Cristiano Ronaldo scoring as many goals as possible”
Always has been.

Red_toad

We need to sell him. £500,000 per week wages is insane for him, and would be enough to for another two or three players wages.

Throw in a free Zimmer frame to sweeten the deal.
He's not on half a million a week, such childish silly posts on here criticising him for a wage he simply does not get.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I think he is better off staying at United, the attack is still poor and they're missing a lot of chances so it's something inevitable, specially if the team doesn't get a more clinical forward.. Then if he's so upset and wants to leave that badly the team should also facilitate his departure should a fair offer for him is made.
What are you talking about? Have you seen ronaldo play post Real Madrid, especially the last two seasons, his finishing is abysmal, he wastes so many chances himself, stops many attacks. Sure there is a decent involvmement here and there but too littel in between and you absolutely expect to have a palyer get a goal involvement as the main man in United team, but he's just past it.

Funnily enough he's not even as useful as Danny Welbeck now. Not worth putting on even for 15 minutes because he refuses to run or simply can't because he's too old, we have seen that today and we have seen that many times before. He basicially just loses the ball while we play with 10 men with and without the ball with him.

Some of his fanboys will keepcoming without even watching any of those games claiming that he's still useful. No he's absolutely finished and sadly there is a really bad situation at United with strikers but he will nto solv that. 18 year old Garnacho isbetter than him and hopefully we will start giving him chances than this guy who just thinks he still has it and is not even willing to break the sweat for the starters..

kps88

This is like when celebrities refuse to age gracefully/act their age. Or TV shows that go on for far too long.

I don't even get the CL obsession. It's meaningless unless he's at at club that can properly compete. If he goes to Napoli or Sporting, he'll get 6 games and could end up facing us in the Europa League.

Moonwalker

castles is a cnut shitstirrer who only has loyalties to mourinho.

I very much doubt he knows anything and is just making shite up.
Actually, if you read that very neatly assembled compilation of tweets that @Rolaholic posted, you won't be in any doubt as to where his loyalties are regarding Ronaldo either.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
We would all be better off if he were declared injured. No one in their right mind will pay a fee or wages for what was on display today. At best Sporting may take him on a free for the easy domestic league/cup games.

I know, no preseason, yadda yadda. Different rabbit hole, same conclusion, "pass".

KeanoMagicHat

Some of the language in the Castles article, you have to laugh:

At 37 with perhaps four seasons of elite football left in his incredibly conditioned body - 4 seasons? In your dreams. Incredibly conditioned body can’t beat Father Time either.

He does not want to suffer Europa League football: Suffer? Such an exaggeration. It’s a decent competition and that’s your level until someone buys you.

antohan

Bit damning for anyone still on the fence
The only thing that struck me out of all that is Harry Maguire got relegated FOUR times.

Is that correct? How is it even possible?

Personally, I hold nothing against Cristiano. We shouldn't have brought him back to begin with.

Ted Lasso

Clearly not behind Ten Hag then…
Think that should be the main talking point here instead of legacy and whether Ronaldo is a moral man.

Glazers have made decisions based on the economics of signing and keeping Ronaldo. Whatever toxicity or squad disruption is down to their refusal to move him on solely to collect more dollars that will ultimately line their pockets.

Absolute scum leeches.

gaffs

If he leaves and there is no replacement, i think we will massively regret it. I don't trust going into the season with only Martial and Rashford - there is no way we get top 4 with either of these lightweights leading the line.

You can have all the team spirit in the world, but if you cant score goals, it wont last long.

Crazy how people are writing him off. He was our player of the season last year.

If he doesn't leave, i predict he will be our top goal scorer again.

Zidane1982

40 actually. I’ve seen a lot of football. Especially before the over dramatic hysterical popcorn fans came along.
Imagine being 40 and still licking the arse of celebrities, especially one as scummy as Cristiano Ronaldo. I am 40 too and grew out of that behaviour decades ago :lol:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Think that should be the main talking point here instead of legacy and whether Ronaldo is a moral man.

Glazers have made decisions based on the economics of signing and keeping Ronaldo. Whatever toxicity or squad disruption is down to their refusal to move him on solely to collect more dollars that will ultimately line their pockets.

Absolute scum leeches.
That’s my concern. I find it interesting having watched the Arsenal documentary how Arteta was backed over Aubamayeng.

I wonder if a more high profile situation like Ronaldo is also able to be resolved for the benefit of the teams long term vision even if it means short term loss in quality.

Personally I’m firmly in the sell camp. If he’s not a starter he’s not worth the wages let alone any other issue that he creates.

::sonny::

“Everywhere where there is champions league football”

Has he tried Maccabi Haifa, FC København, Dinamo Zagreb & Shakhtar Donetsk?
He doesn’t care of anything, only on his stats
The portrait of vanity, egoism, individualism and selfishness

antohan

Absolute scum leeches.
You reckon that's still a positive? I see both brands being negatively affected at this stage.

I know it's a sample of one fan (and knock-offs) but a month ago while on holidays my kids wanted kits and the only United ones said Ronaldo. I actively avoided it, so much so that one is now Mbappé and the other is Bayern's Mané.

Status
Not open for further replies.