Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

The sooner he’s gone the better. He’ll always be a legend for his first stint, and has some great moments in the last season, but ultimately, too old, too immobile and too big of an ego. Also the wages saved will mean we’ll save a lot and that can go to funding a new player.
The last bit is the key bit. We can afford to spend another £60m on a player just from removing his wages.

romufc

Why wait until next year. I would rather see all the problem players leave than stay and moan for a season at the club.

if Ronaldo thinks he wont win titles, get a club to offer 25m and be on your merry way.

That way ETH doesn't have to deal with it and can go on his way of playing football.

Ronaldo was in the team that finished 6th, some people say he carried us or whatever, he scored goals. The season before we scored more goals, so lets not act as if Ronaldo is the only goal scorer we have.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Gone from ultimate professional to professional circus act in 24 hours, but we all know the main reason is because Jorge Mendes is just as much of a shit bag as Raiola ever was.

To put that briefing out in such close proximity to United heading off on pre-season is an absolute dick move and completely undermines Ten Hag.

I maintain my belief that Ten Hag probably doesn't fancy the Ronaldo problem anyway, but knows this year he's probably the best option he's going to get due to Martial and Rashford not being hungry/good enough to lead the line, and the market for strikers completely impossible to exploit without trousers being pulled down.

Had we been able to sign De Jong, Antony and some kind of established striker with a track record of 20 goals a season it wouldn't be an issue at all, but all 3 variables seem unlikely as of right now. The only thing that will happen is United cave and sell Ronaldo for a pittance in August and brief the press about how we're saving half a million a week in wages.
You just need to look back 12months ago. Mendes was flying around doing the same thing.

I never wanted him back for this very reason. He didn't fit into what Ole was trying to do. Then Ralf couldn't figure it out either. We don't need to jeopardise our lord saviour ETH in his quest to help save the club.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The last bit is the key bit. We can afford to spend another £60m on a player just from removing his wages.
Exactly. If he does leave, we’ll have removed the 5 of the top 10 highest earning players at the club in one summer, which means shed loads saved (Ronaldo, Pogba, Cavani, Mata, Matic).

Add on top what we’re paid Lingard, Grant and Hendo’s wages for a year too. Got a lot to play with and a lot of flexibility.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Why wait until next year. I would rather see all the problem players leave than stay and moan for a season at the club.

if Ronaldo thinks he wont win titles, get a club to offer 25m and be on your merry way.

That way ETH doesn't have to deal with it and can go on his way of playing football.

Ronaldo was in the team that finished 6th, some people say he carried us or whatever, he scored goals. The season before we scored more goals, so lets not act as if Ronaldo is the only goal scorer we have.
It will be the same if he stays. He will be the focal point at the cost of any cohesiveness up & down the park.

Zippycup

I wonder how many legends on players with United DNA must let fans down before we notice that 99% of these people are normal blokes who only care about no 1? We should stop being sentimental and we should put the club first.
It’s the Player FC mentality that has crept into every fanbase.
Its reared its ugly ahead again after the recent departure of Pogba, the wanting departure of Ronaldo and the return of Martial. Its something I’ll never understand. No player is bigger than the club. Yes, have your favorite player but don’t defend the indefensible, especially when it comes at the detriment of the club.

romufc

After weeks of holiday, he hasn't turned up. Straight after news that he doesn't want to continue on. Seems like excuses.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Very disappointing that he is doing this to the club, very unprofessional and is tarnishing his reputation.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It’s the Player FC mentality that has crept into every fanbase.
Its reared its ugly ahead again after the recent departure of Pogba, the wanting departure of Ronaldo and the return of Martial. Its something I’ll never understand. No player is bigger than the club. Yes, have your favorite player but don’t defend the indefensible, especially when it comes at the detriment of the club.
Quite honestly I never had it in the first place and I was criticized highly about it. Sure there were selfless people like Scholes who couldn't be bothered having an agent around because he just wanted to play with United. However most players see United as a workplace, which isn't exactly bad, if one is professional enough to pull a shift but would be wrong by fans to think otherwise. 99% of players would always put their interest and that of their mates first. Which kind or explains why the likes of Gaz struggled to criticize Ole as manager despite United were unwatchable at times.

Real Name

I didn't see anything back then. I don't think it makes the club look good if they are the ones now briefing that. Maybe it is coming from Rangnick or associates.
Probably Ragnick yeah. He's deep into I see everything but I'm not responsible for anything sort of thing.

Zed 101

It is hard to say negative things about Ronaldo given not only his history but also the contribution last season.

It is impossible to know the what if he hadn't joined, what would last season have been, most people seem to agree that his presence impacted on Bruno who had previously been an incredibly creative force in midfield. I also think his coming had a negative impact on Rashford and to a lesser extent on Sancho. Certainly the season before when he was in Italy similar criticisms were levelled, that his presence was actually having a negative impact, we have seen similar from other players too, in my memory Steven Gerrard (spit :mad:) in his last couple of seasons prevented Liverpool from playing freely, often slowing the play and choking possession.

If he goes, he goes, I am 50/50 on this, he stays he scores goals, he goes and I think we see more from other players.

The biggest negative for me is the message this sends out, not just to potential signings, but also about Ronaldo's belief in TenHag, it is an inauspicious way to start his tenure to have one of the greatest players to ever kick a ball basically throw his toys out of the pram.

Zippycup

Club accepted it though.
What do you want them to say?
No. You have to come in?
Or what, they'll sack him? Kick him out of the club? Fine him?

All the above would benefit Ronaldo and add fire to his wish leave the club. Only this would make Manchester United look like the bad guys

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Would be hilarious to just treat him like other players should be treated, and send him to the reserves for the next year.

Obviously that won’t happen though.

Man-United

What do you want them to say?
No. You have to come in?
Or what, they'll sack him? Kick him out of the club? Fine him?

All the above would benefit Ronaldo and add fire to his wish leave the club. Only this would make Manchester United look like the bad guys
Fine him would be great. Saving 500.000 a week.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just sell him ffs. Even for footballing reasons, he's not a good fit and doesn't help our rebuild. Its just better for all of he left. Too much of a distraction, always about him, just before he was that good that it being about him was ok. That's not the case anymore. He needs to be scoring twice as much as he does now basically to make up for being a 0 in so many other aspects on the field. Get rid, replace with Antony and have a better wage structure in.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
No problem for me if he doesn't turn up. You don't turn up, you don't play. You don't play, let's see how fresh you are for the world cup old bean. I wouldn't let him go, he'll soon come round.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Just sell him ffs. Even for footballing reasons, he's not a good fit and doesn't help our rebuild. Its just better for all of he left. Too much of a distraction, always about him, just before he was that good that it being about him was ok. That's not the case anymore. He needs to be scoring twice as much as he does now basically to make up for being a 0 in so many other aspects on the field. Get rid, replace with Antony and have a better wage structure in.
We can't go into the season without a striker, would be madness. To replace him is too expensive at this point I think.

Man-United

If it was the Ronaldo of 2008 of course it was worth fighting for.
But a 41 year old Ronaldo?

Acquire Me

The problem with Ronaldo is not his dedication to himself, the game, his team mates, training, nutrition, etc. The problem with him imo is that he will dictate how the team has to play around his game. The game play must be suited to him, or else he will sulk and bitch about it. I guess EtH can make it work with him, it can be done. Ronaldo in a working setup would be great. That said, in a perfect world I would rather play with someone like MG, but thats obviously not going to happen. So if he leaves, we need to be on the marked for a new forward.

Hester_manc

He is too old to act like this. He is not a spoiled 21 year old, who is still a young boy. He is a fully grown up man and should know better than to just stay away, when he does not get what he wants.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If Ronaldo was the typical sort of footballer who realized that at the age of 38 he can’t and shouldn’t start every single PL match no matter what I think Tuchel may fancy him as an option in the squad. But you’re essentially forced to start him at this point or it becomes this huge controversy.

That and the fact that we like to press high are the two main reason I just can’t imagine him here. Way too much drama.

Still say he goes to Bayern if they actually fancy him.
Bayern is too well run as a club to go for Ronaldo. At this stage, the only clubs that go for him will be the clubs that don't really have a good plan for what to do.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Yeh I agree about Bayern too, I think he'll end up there. Stop gap for them until next summer maybe until they can pouch another player from another bundisliga team :wenger:
Bayern won't sign a 37 year old diva who can't run and wants 30m/yr.

mshnsh

Ronaldo was a liability for most games last season especially games that he did not score. He was a big reason why we went backwards and so did Juve when he was there. In addition, he hindered the development of younger players since in his mind he must start every game. An overinflated ego.

CM

He has no respect for the club :lol: We'd be doing well to get rid

Xanther

Whoever edited the title that way has an agenda, because him not turning up has a context to it that the title isn't indicative of. I would save judgement until this week passes, if and when Ronaldo's family-related issue is resolved and he has a chance to be present.

Zippycup

Quite honestly I never had it in the first place and I was criticized highly about it. Sure there were selfless people like Scholes who couldn't be bothered having an agent around because he just wanted to play with United. However most players see United as a workplace, which isn't exactly bad, if one is professional enough to pull a shift but would be wrong by fans to think otherwise. 99% of players would always put their interest and that of their mates first. Which kind or explains why the likes of Gaz struggled to criticize Ole as manager despite United were unwatchable at times.
Indeed.
The kissing of the badge, the scripted interviews, the ‘its my dream to play at this club’ quotes on social media. It’s all nonsense. 99% of the players are there for the money or to use the club as a stepping stone to a higher paid job. What I can’t stand is players pretending that they aren’t moving to another club for money or their own personal gains. Just be honest. Fans would appreciate it a hell of a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.