Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

i mean...wow
This deserves a ban! :houllier:
Its trueeeeeeeee. I didn't want to agree with the pundits but his signing derailed any wish of a fluid progressive modern attack. We haven't the time for a 37 year old poacher who can't do anything else. Same thing as Chelsea shifting Lukaku.

A Benzema style player is preferred. When Ronaldo eats, no one else does. He also is the worst presser in modern day history. I write this with teardrops smudging the ink on my page.

King Eric 7

Club need to tell his circus to shut the feck up if he wants to leave and/or deny the rumours of him wanting to leave. We can then do our business and look to find a suitable replacement for him. Taking a medium term view of things, I think it's for the best that he moves on now. We can buy an inferior player yet paradoxically do better without him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We live in hope. We have to account for the fact that Cavani was excellent that season, but morphed into an absolute disgrace of a footballer last season. Therefore, if Ronaldo didn’t come back, coupled with Cavani going AWOL, we’d have ended up even worse off.

If Ronaldo goes, we need a younger, world class replacement. Not many of those on the striker market at the moment.
He's been amazing for us but he's not the future. He turns 38 in February so he's definitely not part of the new era.

Time to move on.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Great player but if he want's out then off you pop sunshine.

Seeing a lot of nervousness about who do we replace him with. I am sure there are plenty of footballers out there who have the right attitude and can bang in 15 / 20 / 25 goals a season. No player is irreplaceable.

Dansk

I didn't expect more than a season out of him in the first place, and while he has scored quite a few goals, he offers little besides that. In this day and age, it's hard to accommodate a striker who does nothing other than poke the ball into the net. The game has moved beyond that, you need strikers to contribute to the team's possession and press and the overall strategy. If the player scores a truly outrageous amount of goals, like Lewandowski or Benzema, then it can be feasible. Ronaldo didn't, he just stood out in a shit team. He didn't really score any more than you would expect of any reasonably good striker, but nobody else has been doing their job so we've relied on him.

If he does go, however, it really heightens the pressure to sign a replacement. As it stands, we have literally nobody else who can score reliably.

90 + 5min

If Ronaldo leaves us he will do it on high note. Did very well despite playing with some jokers and pretenders in the team last year. Still brilliant player.

MalaysianRed7

Maybe cavani went AWOL because of Ronnie?
That would say even more about him :lol:

He's been amazing for us but he's not the future. He turns 38 in February so he's definitely not part of the new era.

Time to move on.
I agree with you in that he’s definitely not the future. I wouldn’t want to keep an uncommitted player too to be brutally honest. The problem now is, I can’t see anyone taking him. 38 years old on 500k per week is Ronaldo.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Told ye straight out it would be the ronaldo show and the transfer would turn out to be an expensive disaster that in the short to medium term would more or less set us back. Same as at Juve, they were happy to get rid. He got a few goals and got us out of a weak CL group. I think we could have done that with a more together team and a younger long term striker project. We also probably would have finished quite a bit higher in the league than we managed to by the end

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Great player but if he want's out then off you pop sunshine.

Seeing a lot of nervousness about who do we replace him with. I am sure there are plenty of footballers out there who have the right attitude and can bang in 15 / 20 / 25 goals a season. No player is irreplaceable.
Sure. The problem is that it is now July already and in United’s supposed biggest summer for a decade, we have bought zero players and sold zero players. I have zero faith the club can do the necessary business.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We are really fecked next season if he leaves, not going to lie. Absolutely nothing in the striker market left, and all the options have moved.

Only viable one would be Abraham but I doubt Roma would sell.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Come on, clubs ditch players left and right. All the time. We're on the cusp of buying a great player who's being pushed out by their club, and everyone here's giddy. This type of resentment for players when they do what's best for them makes no sense.
Don't be absurd. It's the inverse of why we idolise players like Robson and Keane who were top of their fields and chose us. It's part of the word club.

If you expect feel the same for clubs I don't support as the way for the club I do support then what's the point?

It's not like I'm expecting him to play in the 4th division. There is being wise in terms of your career and there's Cristiano. He looks after number one, fair enough but it's not that admirable a characteristic to me.

UtdAgain08

If ETH wants to keep him he stays, if not let him go, he's not the same player who can't be replaced anymore.

B4Keane - Robson

Wait…you mean playing a 38 year old poacher who doesn’t run channels, can’t hold the ball up, has the worst pressing stats in football, doesn’t run in behind and falls over off balance any time the wind touches him isn’t great for the team!?

What about how great he is behind the scenes though? He has such a “top mentality” and is such a great “leader” that he screams ‘why not the youngsters’ whilst sitting down on the bench steps after being taken off against Brentford. He’s so “professional” he fecks off abroad with a fake injury after being told he’s dropped against City. He’s so wonderful for team spirit that he holds senior meetings demanding we play 2 up front without the captain - someone he undermined from minute one causing serious divides in the camp. He’s bringing “Standards” back though isn’t he as he plays a key part in our worst ever PL finish following a 3rd and 2nd place finish.

Get him the feck out. I’m sure we’ll find a way to cover his 17 goals once we return to being an actual team. ETH needs buy-in for his system and the last thing he needs is this egotist manchild throwing his toys out of the pram behind the scenes challenging his authority - it was never going to work. Hopefully the Ronaldo cultists who put him ahead of the club, ignore the stats, the stories from reliable journalists and the fact we were far shitter after he arrived will feck off with him.
Well said, spot on about everything.

Marcelinho87

Get rid before he peddles out his "I am a slave" mantra again.

Better team before him, will be a better team after him.

Skills

Snitch
I think it will solve the Bruno Fernandes conundrum. They can't play together as it is.

kelvinwong2026

Had he not returned last year, we would be 3rd/4th in the league last season, and Ole would still be our manager.

Stacks

He is not what we need in this team for it to grow and evolve. Good news I think.
100% reality. He should not be leading this team. It was a vanity signing for "old times sake" we scored 16 more league goals the season before when he weren't here and we had part time strikers (Cavani) and the "elusive" Martial. Fancy that? When he comes to teams you become over dependent. Only Ronaldo and Bruno reached double figures 24 and 10. We were better with Bruno as our main outlet. Bruno got 28, Rashford got 21, Cavani got 17, even Scotty T bagged 7. Ronaldo seems like the type to expect every cross or cutback to land at his feet. We have seen him act petulant when his own teammates have scored (for other teams mind) so thats a bit troubling.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Suspected this last year his main goal now is extending the all time CL record.

Up to him of course but it seems obvious.

Red_toad

We are really fecked next season if he leaves, not going to lie. Absolutely nothing in the striker market left, and all the options have moved.

Only viable one would be Abraham but I doubt Roma would sell.
You’re being a tad over dramatic. There are plenty of players available and United could look to do a swap deal with the club he may or may not move to. Plus it’s all speculation right now. I’m not fussed either way, good if he stays or leaves for different reasons.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Letting go of Ronaldo and Pogba will benefit United quite a bit imo.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Sure. The problem is that it is now July already and in United’s supposed biggest summer for a decade, we have bought zero players and sold zero players. I have zero faith the club can do the necessary business.
A lot of Zero's there my friend :)

Not 100% sure about the reliability of Castles, stopped following that fraud many months ago. Many players left on a free and I think we can all see that there will be at least a few incomings in the coming days.

if and it's a big IF, he goes then there will be somebody to replace him. Think about it, there is probably three maybe five club's who could afford his wages and out of that two who would put up with his tantrums (Chelsea and PSG imho)

The pool of clubs after him is not massive

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.