Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Actually I think they were all shit, I’ve not excused anyone. He very much was awful, including in the majority of games he scored, it doesn’t gloss over him being bad that he occasionally toe pokes his 749th shot of the game in.

But at least you’re passionate about something. Unfortunately for you you’re stuck following a side where he’s in the fans bad books for another year.
Absolute nonsense – and your exaggerated comment speaks volumes.

I would say that he had absolutely shocking service last year – to the point of it being non-existent. If he was taking 10 chances to score one goal, then I would argue that is a fault on him. But the biggest issue for me last season is that we did not create enough chances for him to score.

If you actually watched our games, you would see a player constantly making an early run, only to turn back and have to get back on side because there was no first-time cross, or early ball into the box. Instead, whoever had the ball in a wide position would instead turn around and end up passing backwards.

OverratedOpinion

So even when it isn't his fault it is :lol:
I blame him more than anyone for our attack suddenly becoming so much worse overnight.

If you do not believe that playing in an attack that doesn't work for a year is negative for a player who thrives on confidence (and has proved themselves a 20+ goal a season winger) then we can agree to disagree :)

USREDEVIL

i can see it now. Ronaldo scores 1 or 2 goals in the UCL before sporting are dumped out the group stages and he spends the rest of the year in the Portuguese league. His ego is way too big for that. I think it's big team or bust for him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
At this point a move to one of the Portuguese clubs does feel like the last chance, but I just fail to see how any of them come close to paying his colossal salary

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Suarez and to a lesser extent Neymar put up insane numbers next to Messi. In fact people used to downplay Suarez’ numbers because ”he played with Messi” and Messi was such a creative force on top of his goals. People thought Suarez’ goals were inflated by Messi, not the other way around.

Not sure there’s a single player in any of Ronaldo’s teams you could say that about.
Yes but maybe only for 1 out of 6 season there. Most of the other time Messi has been bagging most of their goals.

NewYorkRed

The amount of people saying “please let this be true. I need this to happen” love it

AnotherLondonManc

At this point a move to one of the Portuguese clubs does feel like the last chance, but I just fail to see how any of them come close to paying his colossal salary
If Ronaldo really is serious about leaving, I'm sure he would be prepared to lower his wage demands for the move.

I believe the salary is more for status than monetary reasons. He's plenty well off and makes more money off the pitch than on it. So long as he is the highest paid player in the squad, I reckon he'll go for it.

Trip721

Is he willing to take the paycut to get goals in the UCL? That's the question Mendes is probably putting towards CR7...1 year, score goals in the UCL and then jump to a bigger club next year.

Pickle85

I blame him more than anyone for our attack suddenly becoming so much worse overnight.

If you do not believe that playing in an attack that doesn't work for a year is negative for a player who thrives on confidence (and has proved themselves a 20+ goal a season winger) then we can agree to disagree :)
So you're blaming Ronaldo for Rashford being rubbish the last couple of years? Ever heard of Occam's razor? Maybe Rashford has been poor for the last couple of seasons because...he's been jogging around the pitch and just isn't that good any more. Honestly, blaming Ronaldo for Rashford being rubbish because he contributed the most to an attack becoming dysfunctional which knocked Rashford's confidence is the most ridiculous reach.

phelans shorts

Absolute nonsense – and your exaggerated comment speaks volumes.

I would say that he had absolutely shocking service last year – to the point of it being non-existent. If he was taking 10 chances to score one goal, then I would argue that is a fault on him. But the biggest issue for me last season is that we did not create enough chances for him to score.

If you actually watched our games, you would see a player constantly making an early run, only to turn back and have to get back on side because there was no first-time cross, or early ball into the box. Instead, whoever had the ball in a wide position would instead turn around and end up passing backwards.
Given that I was at the vast majority of games, I’d very much wager that I watched them. Him dawdling 20 yards behind the last defender wafting his arms around like Orville the Duck isn’t the fault of anyone but himself.

He didn’t get any service is laughable, the entire team had to give him the ball endlessly. The literal only tactic when he was on the pitch was “give it to Ronaldo” and he largely did nothing with it. He was crap, it wasn’t other peoples fault, he was simply no better than the majority of the others.

OverratedOpinion

So you're blaming Ronaldo for Rashford being rubbish the last couple of years? Ever heard of Occam's razor? Maybe Rashford has been poor for the last couple of seasons because...he's been jogging around the pitch and just isn't that good any more. Honestly, blaming Ronaldo for Rashford being rubbish because he contributed the most to an attack becoming dysfunctional which knocked Rashford's confidence is the most ridiculous reach.
Your "rubbish" version of Rashford before Ronaldo got here, got 21 goals and 15 assists from out wide. (22 goals and 12 assists the season before that).

But no not just Rashford. I blame him in part for Rashford, Sancho and Bruno's loss of form. :)

Pickle85

Your "rubbish" version of Rashford before Ronaldo got here, got 21 goals and 15 assists from out wide. (22 goals and 12 assists the season before that).

But no not just Rashford. I blame him in part for Rashford, Sancho and Bruno's loss of form. :)
It's clear to see that you are agenda posting, so there's probably no point continuing this. :)

OverratedOpinion

It's clear to see that you are agenda posting, so there's probably no point continuing this. :)
My agenda is that I believe Ronaldo is a net negative on our attack and that it effects all his teammates individual performances. I am almost certain I will be proved right when he either leaves or plays a lot less this season.

I am happy to be proven wrong as he is one of my favourite players of all time and I was giddy as a school boy when he signed for us last year.

If that is an agenda then okie dokie artichoke.

Pickle85

My agenda is that I believe Ronaldo is a net negative on our attack and that it effects all his teammates individual performances. I am almost certain I will be proved right when he either leaves or plays a lot less this season.

I am happy to be proven wrong as he is one of my favourite players of all time and I was giddy as a school boy when he signed for us last year.

If that is an agenda then okie dokie artichoke.
I agree that we should use him as an impact sub or get rid. However, to say what you're saying absolves other players of blame when they clearly need to pull up their socks. Also, you do seem to studiously avoid Ronaldo's goalscoring stats from last season in (as you point out) a dysfunctional attack, despite bringing up Rashford's stats as evidence. Like I say...agenda posting! :)

OverratedOpinion

I agree that we should use him as an impact sub or get rid. However, to say what you're saying absolves other players of blame when they clearly need to pull up their socks. Also, you do seem to studiously avoid Ronaldo's goalscoring stats from last season in (as you point out) a dysfunctional attack, despite bringing up Rashford's stats as evidence. Like I say...agenda posting! :)
He scored a lot of goals and a lot of important goals too, some absolute beauties. The one against Spurs was absolutely gorgeous.

I think those goals were a lot more important than they needed to be because our attack went so far backwards in large part because he is not the player to build a fluid attack around at 37 years old.

For what it's worth I am not totally absolving them and honestly I couldn't care less about last season at this point, it is done. I do believe that Rashford, Bruno and Sancho can have very good seasons and score plenty of goals along with Martial, they have proven it. My main concern is that I just think it is a LOT less likely to happen if we play Ronaldo as much as we did last season.

Norris Cole

Sporting have a favourable Champions League draw. I wonder if CR7 sees an opportunity to extend his CL goals record and has been waiting for this draw

dinostar77

Hope this is true. It would be a fitting end for his career and at least a minimum of 18 CL games over next 3 seasons. Plenty of games to get goals. Plus he'll be treated like royalty and the club will ensure that he has the right supporting cast to get the best out of him.

Pickle85

He scored a lot of goals and a lot of important goals too, some absolute beauties. The one against Spurs was absolutely gorgeous.

I think those goals were a lot more important than they needed to be because our attack went so far backwards in large part because he is not the player to build a fluid attack around at 37 years old.

For what it's worth I am not totally absolving them and honestly I couldn't care less about last season at this point, it is done. I do believe that Rashford, Bruno and Sancho can have very good seasons and score plenty of goals along with Martial, they have proven it. My main concern is that I just think it is a LOT less likely to happen if we play Ronaldo as much as we did last season.
Fair enough. That said, anyone that on performance history alone advocates for Martial over Ronaldo is a bit misguided imo. Where does the belief in Martial to all of a sudden pull it out the bag and have a good season come from, beyond a decent preseason and an OK 20 minutes or so against liverpool?

Zen

With that group…. I’d join Sporting too if I was only truly interested in my CL goals haul.

No contender wants him, easy goals in the league, 90 mins whenever he wants(every game)….

Status
Not open for further replies.