Cristiano Ronaldo - Man Utd Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Obviously. He certainly will though. Can’t wait for every free kick to be ballooned over the bar too
Ironically I think Pogba and Mata are our two best free kick takers from what I've seen. Bruno has scored a couple but generally blasts them over the bar and Rashford just hammers it from far out trying to fool the keeper. So I don't think we are missing much

dinostar77

Damning article on Utd signing Ronaldo.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ust-what-is-that-manchester-united-see-in-him

"....Three years ago, Juventus paid £100m for a 33-year-old and gave him a basic salary of £26.6m a year, a deal that must rank as one of the worst in history. Ronaldo was signed to take Juventus, who had lost in two Champions League finals in the previous four seasons, to European glory. Instead they lost in the quarter-final to Ajax, then in the last 16 to Lyon, then in the last 16 to Porto.

Juve had won seven scudetti in a row before Ronaldo arrived. They won it again in their first two seasons with him, but finished fourth last year. He scored 81 league goals in three seasons, but Ronaldo made Juventus a worse football team.

Not only has his relative immobility, his reluctance to contribute to the press – he was in the bottom 2% of forwards in Europe’s top five leagues in terms of pressures per 90 minutes last season – held Juve back tactically, but the money spent on him has weakened the rest of the squad. There is a reason Juve were so willing to offload him now...."

Basically Jonathan Wilson questioning why we suddenly had money available for Ronaldo transfer and wages but not the CM that the team needs to knit the defense and attack.

Josh 76

For those worried about his age, take a look at Ibrahimovic. He's older, not as good and has had serious injuries yet he's played to a fairly high level at 36+.

The crazy thing of Ronaldo's fitness levels is that he still plays international football too.
He's been awful so far :wenger:
He will be awful in a lot of games for Utd too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ust-what-is-that-manchester-united-see-in-him

"....Three years ago, Juventus paid £100m for a 33-year-old and gave him a basic salary of £26.6m a year, a deal that must rank as one of the worst in history. Ronaldo was signed to take Juventus, who had lost in two Champions League finals in the previous four seasons, to European glory. Instead they lost in the quarter-final to Ajax, then in the last 16 to Lyon, then in the last 16 to Porto.

Juve had won seven scudetti in a row before Ronaldo arrived. They won it again in their first two seasons with him, but finished fourth last year. He scored 81 league goals in three seasons, but Ronaldo made Juventus a worse football team.

Not only has his relative immobility, his reluctance to contribute to the press – he was in the bottom 2% of forwards in Europe’s top five leagues in terms of pressures per 90 minutes last season – held Juve back tactically, but the money spent on him has weakened the rest of the squad. There is a reason Juve were so willing to offload him now...."

Basically Jonathan Wilson questioning why we suddenly had money available for Ronaldo transfer and wages but not the CM that the team needs to knit the defense and attack.
Probably some level of truth, but at the same time Jonathan Wilson is a wanker who genuinely hates the fact Ole is [sort of] succeeding because it goes against his inventing the pyramid pretentious football stat loving nonsense

Alemar

Has already missed 3 penalties as a United player against West Ham, Wigan, and Barcelona.
He is at 17/20 for United (without shootouts), it’s 85%. And at least one of those 3 missed he scored on the rebound

Josh 76

If it’s not obvious, Utd were forced to sign Ronaldo because he was going to City. I am convinced if the club signing Ronaldo was PSG, Utd would never have got involved.
Make what you want of that.

Chief123

If it’s not obvious, Utd were forced to sign Ronaldo because he was going to City. I am convinced if the club signing Ronaldo was PSG, Utd would never have got involved.
I never thought of it like that but I feel you have a point. If it was any team outside of the Prem league in for him, I don't think we would have been interested. Just like we didn't go for him when he left Madrid. But just cause it was City, Utd felt they had no option but to go for him even if it was to save bad PR and a backlash from the fans.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Ronaldo has just punched out at an Irish defender and missed a penalty here and he’s been shite in general

This is what I said when we signed him. Do we really need another low pressing low energy finisher who left us as he hit his prime? Juve were happy to get rid of him. I think he’d have done a lot better in the city team where he could stand around the box and finish stuff but he’s definitely needed in the buildup here… himself and Bruno don’t play well together for Portugal most of the times I’ve seen them either. I think he’ll get goals but I’m not sure he’s what we needed and I don’t think he’ll take us to the next level. He also gives the younger lads another season off having full responsibility. The narrative will be all about Ronaldo winning or failing either way but Ideally you’d like them to be growing and taking more responsibility asap.

Said it day he signed but shut up quickly because feck city but yeah…I’m not so sure…

Last edited:

Castia

What a load of bollocks

Its not Ronaldo’s fault Juve used their money on him and couldn’t to invest in other areas of the squad, they paid for Ronaldo and Ronaldo did his job he scored 104 goals in 130 games.

The squad is shit they’ll struggle again this season with or without Ronaldo

sparx99

Nothing to do with Juve getting worse around Ronaldo as well. They went from Buffon to Szechsny. Pirlo retired. Bonucci and Chiellini are older. Aaron Ramsey was crap. Seems kind of ridiculous to blame one player for a collective failing. And that’s without mentioning their managerial choices in recent years.

Castia

Ronaldo has just punched out at an Irish defender and missed a penalty here and he’s been shite in general

This is what I said when we signed him. Do we really need another low pressing low energy finisher who left us as he hit his prime? Juve were mad to get rid of him. I think he’d have done a lot better in the city team where he could stand around the box and finish stuff but he’s definitely needed in the buildup here… himself and Bruno don’t play well together for Portugal most of the times I’ve seen them either. I think he’ll get goals but I’m not sure he’s what we needed and I don’t think he’ll take us to the next level

Said it day he signed but shut up because feck city but yeah…I’m not so sure
He’s a goal scorer and has been for years, he’s 36 and won’t spend 90 minutes pressing he never has even in his teen years for United playing out wide.

You buy Ronaldo for his goals. Martial won’t deliver and Cavani showed last season that he can’t play every game.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If he scored the penalty there would be articles about him being the greatest international of all time, he’s now the biggest flop and the catalyst for Juventus’s failures according to Redcafe. Incredible spin.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

This is what I said when we signed him. Do we really need another low pressing low energy finisher who left us as he hit his prime? Juve were happy to get rid of him. I think he’d have done a lot better in the city team where he could stand around the box and finish stuff but he’s definitely needed in the buildup here… himself and Bruno don’t play well together for Portugal most of the times I’ve seen them either. I think he’ll get goals but I’m not sure he’s what we needed and I don’t think he’ll take us to the next level. He also gives the younger lads another season off having full responsibility. The narrative will be all about Ronaldo winning or failing either way but Ideally you’d like them to be growing and taking more responsibility asap.

Said it day he signed but shut up quickly because feck city but yeah…I’m not so sure…
Punched? :lol:

Blatent troll/agenda post if ever I saw one, christ.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I think this is probably what happened

It really all could end up going against us and upset the team in the long run…watching him tonight refusing to chase when he loses the ball I know will annoy me

But then again it could be that missing piece that brings us to glory who the feck knows

It will be fun either way

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!

So Ronaldo scored 101 goals in 131 games for Juventus yet made them a "worse football team" :confused:

What the feck does that even mean, the whole point of the fecking game is to score goals.

RedDevil@84

So Ronaldo scored 101 goals in 131 games for Juventus yet made them a "worse football team" :confused:

What the feck does that even mean, the whole point of the fecking game is to score goals.
Not if you are a big fan of LVG's sideways passing, which sometimes seemed to be the whole purpose.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

It really all could end up going against us and upset the team in the long run…watching him tonight refusing to chase when he loses the ball I know will annoy me

But then again it could be that missing piece that brings us to glory who the feck knows

Yeah same. We were playing James and telling him he was staying on Sunday. I think Ronaldo pt 2 is another Fergie signing like Moyes… it’ll be a stroke of genius or it’ll all fall to shite… we were making it up as we went along by the end of the window.

Tonight he’s been invisible and petulant.

Adamsk7

He never chased back when he was here the first time! The guy is all about decisive attacks - every team he’s been in has has to adapt to him not contributing defensively and adapt we will because he’s arguably the greatest offensive weapon of all time.

nickm

Easy. Louis Sahas pace and movement made us a better football team than RVN even though Ruud was a much better goalscorer.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

How is it Ronaldo’s fault if Juve spent €100m on fees and €26m on wages. It’s their fault for thinking he is the messiah. And if they needed to rebuild the rest of the squad then it was stupid to spend so much on one player and hope for a miracle. He did his job by scoring. If the rest of the players can’t contribute it’s not his fault.

stevoc

He didn't do enough pressures or something. Some made up stat bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.