Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

PSV

Still not picked up by a club in a better league, but it earned him 45 minutes in a friendly for Morocco though.
Could be the quality of the league of course.
I think Hamdallah is on like 100k+ a week, I don't think a European league is going to fork that out for someone that has played mainly in "money" leagues.

I remember him well when he played for us (Aalesund). He struggled a bit initially, but then 7-8 games in he started scoring and assisting like nothing we've seen both before and after.

We've never had a better league season than that one, and we haven't even been anywhere near the amount of goals scored that year.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
The 2014 injury is an excuse used by Ronaldo fans for a poor world cup. I watched all their games and at no point did he look injured; he was moving perfectly well.
One
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...aldos-injury-hinders-2014-world-cup-prospects

Two
http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/354461.html

Lying yourself that's what you do.

In this last world cup he was benched not because of his reaction but because of how poor he was in the group stages; It is not uncommon for footballers to react badly to being subbed.
Ok Fernando, thanks for the inside info. Everyone else thinks it was for different reasons:

Like this
https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2022/12/6/ronaldo-dropped-from-starting-lineup-against-switzerland

or this
https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/12/0...o-benched-portugal-vs-switzerland-starting-xi

As for the Spain game in 2018, I guess you define allround play differently to what I do. And no he he wasn't good in any of the other games in that world cup.
I could just go to this very own forum and dig up the live reactions to that game but that's too much work to show someone that already had decided what to say.

For me Ronaldo’s lack of on the ball genius means that he is essentially a great goalscorer whose allround play (even in his peak years) falls short of many of the best players to have played football. That is how I judge him, not on any tournament. But history won't treat him well for his world cup no shows regardless of the excuses you come up with.
The "Ronaldo is only a goalscorer" agenda thing again, you believe what you want to believe, fortunately there is plenty of youtube videos on his on the ball play for you to watch if you wanted to because honestly that sounds like the usual copy pasta of his criticism. It evolved as the following:

2004-2007: Wonderkid on the making, phenomenal skills and on the ball play, diving princess, no end product.
2007-2008: World Class player, does everything, phenomenal on the ball skills and efficiency. Can do anything. Oh wait, there is a new hipster religion getting started, let me get on board with this tiki-takism thing.
2009-2010: Ronaldo is crap, only does it against minnows. Spain, I mean, Barça, I mean, Messi is the only player to have reached these levels. Burn the heretics that follow Ronaldo, the Prophet of Evil and Mourinho, the God of Evil. They do not represent football. Mes que peds and bribery.
2011-2018: Ronaldo is crap, yeah he scores against the strongest teams and stuff and wins back to back to back Champions Leagues as the best player ever in the competition and in Real Madrid as well, and wins trophies with Portugal, Messi rarely does it all yes - BUT have you watched his overall play? Shit, overrated player.
2018-present: Haha, see Ronaldo is crap like I've been telling for a decade, now you see how shit he is, can't even make Juve champion again and haha he was only 3rd best scorer of the Premier Leagu... HOW DARE YOU say Messi was bad in QatarSG with 6 goals scored in Ligue 1 in a season? HERETIC! You know nothing of football!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Celtic would probably win the Saudi league and be mid-table PL I’d say.
The current Celtic side would be relegated and find themselves somewhere around mid-table in the Championship.

With their support, given a stretch in the English league I’m confident they’d settle into the Premier League but in terms of where that squad is now, if parachuted into the Premier League they wouldn’t last a season in my opinion. Look at their Champions League performance, rock bottom with a negative double digit goal difference without a single win and in-between those Champions League fixtures they’re smashing teams like Hibs and Motherwell by 4-6 goals.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Europe means the top tier leagues in Europe including league 1 and Bundesliga.
It’s odd people now suddenly accept ligue 1 and BL as Europe’s top tier league, when they are largely regarded as farmers league. To me the only top tier is PL and LL, and then followed by Serie A. Those are the top 3 leagues in traditional sense (apparently Serie A has also went backwards over past decade or so, people may count them out too). Whereas BL and Ligue 1, they are basically farmers league in general with a giant club dominating the whole league (Bayern, PSG).

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

The current Celtic side would be relegated and find themselves somewhere around mid-table in the Championship.

With their support, given a stretch in the English league I’m confident they’d settle into the Premier League but in terms of where that squad is now, if parachuted into the Premier League they wouldn’t last a season in my opinion. Look at their Champions League performance, rock bottom with a negative double digit goal difference without a single win and in-between those Champions League fixtures they’re smashing teams like Hibs and Motherwell by 4-6 goals.
They’ve won 27 games out of 29 this season with 70 odd goal difference, it’s one of the better Celtic teams for a while I think, it was a tough group do you think struggling English teams are beating Real Madrid and RB Leipzig?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
For me Ronaldo’s lack of on the ball genius means that he is essentially a great goalscorer whose allround play (even in his peak years) falls short of many of the best players to have played football. That is how I judge him, not on any tournament. But history won't treat him well for his world cup no shows regardless of the excuses you come up with.
It’s been debated many times. Basically fans who have watched through 03-08 period would disagree with you, when he was all about skills, tricks and dribbling during that period, but not goalscoring. Ronaldo was at one point nearly the most skillful player in the world. Opponents back then has to foul him in order to stopped him getting past them.

But during his most successful period (14-15 onwards), he did turn himself more into more into poacher and did lack of on ball genius as compared to other all time great attackers as you’ve described. I think you have based most of your judgement on him during this period.

And the biggest argument was his 09-13 period, to which I think was the best version of him in all round/physical sense, even though he wasn’t particular focus/outstanding-ish on dribbling at that point, he was still very electrifying/big threats everywhere on the final third. But he still does dribbling effectively when needed (ie Ronaldo chop + shot to goal was one of his trademark move). I would say during this period, he was more like Henry/Mbappe type of dribbler/progressive runner, combined with Muller type of goalscorer/numbers, and Juninho type of free kick/long range shooting technique, plus playing very high level of athleticism. I would have this version of Ronaldo over any other players I’ve watched (let’s not include Messi there as it would open up lengthy discussion without any ending).

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We've come full circle ? People now trying to pretend the middle east has decent leagues. 21st century fans in a nutshell
Really embarrassing efforts. Someone in their right mind typed that their teams would hold their own in the PL.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
It’s odd people now suddenly accept ligue 1 and BL as Europe’s top tier league, when they are largely regarded as farmers league. To me the only top tier is PL and LL, and then followed by Serie A. Those are the top 3 leagues in traditional sense. Whereas BL and Ligue 1, they are basically farmers league in general with a giant club dominating the whole league (Bayern, PSG).
Still BL and Ligue 1 are much better leagues than Saudia Arabia, which is a proper farmers league that doesn't even produce good players unlike Germany and France.

Ancient Ronaldo was offered to CL teams in Europe, and nobody wanted him, that's why he is in Saudia Arabia stad-padding against shit players.
People trying to hype up the Saudi League because of Ronaldo are ridiculous.

Well, at least the GOAT debate is over, thanks to the WC that Messi won in December

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Really embarrassing efforts. Someone in their right mind typed that their teams would hold their own in the PL.
They don't have anything after Messi won the WC, now it's just about Ronaldo individual records...and still Messi it's universally considered the better player now after what happened in the WC.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
On one hand people are trying to sound as if Saudi Arabia's league is a farmer's league, which the last world clubs cup have shown they actually are starting to dominate Asia (much due to financial doping, though), and their top teams are actually well drilled tactically.
On the other hand people suggesting SA league is better than some tier 2 European leagues, which is not true either. Top Cyprus clubs would probably be a top team in their league, just to put in context.
The main reason is simple: the average talent of a saudi player is still inferior to the average talent of most European countries, which mean the John McGinn's of their league (no disrespect to McGinn obviously, just trying to make a point) are not as good as the John McGinn's in the european leagues. They still have a long term work to be done before they can claim their league as one of the world's top league, and they are trying to shortcut it a bit.
It is a farmers league. It's only interesting because sugar daddies are funding these clubs.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Still BL and Ligue 1 are much better leagues than Saudia Arabia, which is a proper farmers league that doesn't even produce good players unlike Germany and France.

Ancient Ronaldo was offered to CL teams in Europe, and nobody wanted him, that's why he is in Saudia Arabia stad-padding against shit players.
People trying to hype up the Saudi League because of Ronaldo are ridiculous.

Well, at least the GOAT debate is over, thanks to the WC that Messi won in December
Of course, that’s for sure.

I am not debating who is the GOAT here. You see I always have high regards on Messi and thought he is the best player I’ve ever seen. As for Ronaldo, any talking up of him being still one of the best player in the world is rather ridiculous. He is simply a 38 player in retiring age who is long past his best. His performance in PL this early season and in WC was rather poor, that’s so obvious.

But it’s still ok to admire his determination to remain fit to keep going and extending his records. Most 38 years no longer could represent/score for their country, and most of them could no longer score those 35 yards freekicks/rockets like he did recently. He is still top player “at his age group” for sure, and I think that’s admirable.

But I just couldn’t stand here when people trying to pretend Ligue 1 and BL are something where they clearly aren’t.

wangyu

It’s incredible though how you all get your knickers in a twist for something I claimed loosely on the spot. The point is neither of us can be sure, we will never know because teams can’t just switch leagues for our convenience and pleasure.

I’m gonna add another claim, I think most European countries (except the real small ones) should have a team in their league capable of holding their own in the EPL. For example Feyenoord, Genk, Basel etc are all good enough to be in the EPL.

cafecillos

Of course, that’s for sure.

I am not debating who is the GOAT here. You see I always have high regards on Messi and thought he is the best player I’ve ever seen. As for Ronaldo, any talking up of him being still one of the best player in the world is rather ridiculous. He is simply a 38 player in retiring age who is long past his best. His performance in PL this early season and in WC was rather poor, that’s so obvious.

But it’s still ok to admire his determination to remain fit to keep going and extending his records. Most 38 years no longer could represent/score for their country, and most of them could no longer score those 35 yards freekicks/rockets like he did recently. He is still top player “at his age group” for sure, and I think that’s admirable.

But I just couldn’t stand here when people trying to pretend Ligue 1 and BL are something where they clearly aren’t.
Are you talking about this "rocket"?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Are you talking about this "rocket"?

Plus the one he scored for Portugal too. You know, those freekicks in such distance or speed doesn’t happened every week. I am sure not many 38 year old could pull that out in competitive games.

cafecillos

Plus the one he scored for Portugal too. You know, those freekicks in such distance or speed doesn’t happened every week. I am sure not many 38 year old could pull that out in competitive games.
The one with Portugal is definitely better, and fairly impressive for a player his age (I hadn't seen it before you mentioned it), but the one I posted for Al-Nassr is not a good free-kick by any stretch of the imagination, let alone a "rocket" or any other hyperbolic word.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The one with Portugal is definitely better, and fairly impressive for a player his age (I hadn't seen it before you mentioned it), but the one I posted for Al-Nassr is not a good free-kick by any stretch of the imagination, let alone a "rocket" or any other hyperbolic word.
Well you might be right on that. Al-Nassr one is a 35 yard long range goal nonetheless, but it also only happened with poor wall defending/goalkeeping.

The Portugal one was a rocket, even though it’s shorter distance.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It is a farmers league. It's only interesting because sugar daddies are funding these clubs.
Any league compare to Europe's top 7/8 leagues plus Brasilian and Argentina leagues look like farmers league tbh if you go to the extreme.

mshnsh

One
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...aldos-injury-hinders-2014-world-cup-prospects

Two
http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/354461.html

Lying yourself that's what you do.

Ok Fernando, thanks for the inside info. Everyone else thinks it was for different reasons:

Like this
https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2022/12/6/ronaldo-dropped-from-starting-lineup-against-switzerland

or this
https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/12/0...o-benched-portugal-vs-switzerland-starting-xi

I could just go to this very own forum and dig up the live reactions to that game but that's too much work to show someone that already had decided what to say.

The "Ronaldo is only a goalscorer" agenda thing again, you believe what you want to believe, fortunately there is plenty of youtube videos on his on the ball play for you to watch if you wanted to because honestly that sounds like the usual copy pasta of his criticism. It evolved as the following:

2004-2007: Wonderkid on the making, phenomenal skills and on the ball play, diving princess, no end product.
2007-2008: World Class player, does everything, phenomenal on the ball skills and efficiency. Can do anything. Oh wait, there is a new hipster religion getting started, let me get on board with this tiki-takism thing.
2009-2010: Ronaldo is crap, only does it against minnows. Spain, I mean, Barça, I mean, Messi is the only player to have reached these levels. Burn the heretics that follow Ronaldo, the Prophet of Evil and Mourinho, the God of Evil. They do not represent football. Mes que peds and bribery.
2011-2018: Ronaldo is crap, yeah he scores against the strongest teams and stuff and wins back to back to back Champions Leagues as the best player ever in the competition and in Real Madrid as well, and wins trophies with Portugal, Messi rarely does it all yes - BUT have you watched his overall play? Shit, overrated player.
2018-present: Haha, see Ronaldo is crap like I've been telling for a decade, now you see how shit he is, can't even make Juve champion again and haha he was only 3rd best scorer of the Premier Leagu... HOW DARE YOU say Messi was bad in QatarSG with 6 goals scored in Ligue 1 in a season? HERETIC! You know nothing of football!
Clearly need anger management.

Anyway, you can write whatever you want, I followed Ronaldo through his career from his debut at United to his final game here and for me, even in his prime, his game lacked that genius that other greats possessed. His greatness is about his goals and longevity. He was a great athlete who was also a great goalscorer.

Last edited:

mshnsh

It’s been debated many times. Basically fans who have watched through 03-08 period would disagree with you, when he was all about skills, tricks and dribbling during that period, but not goalscoring. Ronaldo was at one point nearly the most skillful player in the world. Opponents back then has to foul him in order to stopped him getting past them.

But during his most successful period (14-15 onwards), he did turn himself more into more into poacher and did lack of on ball genius as compared to other all time great attackers as you’ve described. I think you have based most of your judgement on him during this period.

And the biggest argument was his 09-13 period, to which I think was the best version of him in all round/physical sense, even though he wasn’t particular focus/outstanding-ish on dribbling at that point, he was still very electrifying/big threats everywhere on the final third. But he still does dribbling effectively when needed (ie Ronaldo chop + shot to goal was one of his trademark move). I would say during this period, he was more like Henry/Mbappe type of dribbler/progressive runner, combined with Muller type of goalscorer/numbers, and Juninho type of free kick/long range shooting technique, plus playing very high level of athleticism. I would have this version of Ronaldo over any other players I’ve watched (let’s not include Messi there as it would open up lengthy discussion without any ending).
03 to 06: Ronaldo was heavily criticised because whatever dribbles/tricks he did lead to nothing most of the time and he lost the ball more often than beat his marker. He also regularly ran into blind alleys and his decision making was terrible. His performance vs Milan in 2005 is very much symbolic of Ronaldo during the period; doing unnecessary keeping ups on the halfway line and struggling all game to get past Cafu. Believe me, I used to defend him alot back in the day.

06/07: He had a world class season. His stats may not have matched that of subsequent seasons but he combined flair with end product. His decision making was much much better. His allround brilliance made us very dangerous.

07/08 to 14/15: He was fantastic on the counterattack and scored loads of goals. His all-round play whilst being good was below 06/07 level but his goalscoring went up several notches.

15/16 onwards: A goalpoacher to varying degree but scored very important goals for Real Madrid.

I'm not saying that at his peak he was just a poacher but af no point watching him did I feel I'm watching a special footballer with the ball at his feet (possibly except 06/07 to a degree) rather I watched a great athlete who was a great goalscorer.
And let me tell you, I was a huge fan of his till 2014/15 season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
03 to 06: Ronaldo was heavily criticised because whatever dribbles/tricks he did lead to nothing most of the time and he lost the ball more often than beat his marker. He also regularly ran into blind alleys and his decision making was terrible. His performance vs Milan in 2005 is very much symbolic of Ronaldo during the period; doing unnecessary keeping ups on the halfway line and struggling all game to get past Cafu. Believe me, I used to defend him alot back in the day.

06/07: He had a world class season. His stats may not have matched that of subsequent seasons but he combined flair with end product. His decision making was much much better. His allround brilliance made us very dangerous.

07/08 to 14/15: He was fantastic on the counterattack and scored loads of goals. His all-round play whilst being good was below 06/07 level but his goalscoring went up several notches.

15/16 onwards: A goalpoacher to varying degree but scored very important goals for Real Madrid.

I'm not saying that at his peak he was just a poacher but af no point watching him did I feel I'm watching a special footballer with the ball at his feet (possibly except 06/07 to a degree) rather I watched a great athlete who was a great goalscorer.
And let me tell you, I was a huge fan of his till 2014/15 season.
Well I think in general that's a fair description, and I totally understand where you came from when you keep saying from time and time again he is not anywhere among elite dribbler on the all time great list.

But sometimes I do get the wrong impression from you labelling him more as a goalscorer, maybe similar to Muller (who was a great goalscorer btw), rather than all round attacker (like Cruyff maybe?). For me I would say he is more like a Cruyff rather than Muller over longer period of his career.

As you see I joined this forum back in 2003. I was basically a big fan of Ronaldo since his very earlier days here because of his electrifying pace, and full of skills and tricks. You know he is like a new golden boy from the late Joga Bonito era. And I just don't get why people would label him as a goalscorer who is lacking ball genius over the course of his career. IMO he is the most talented/skillful player even seen from Old Trafford, since the good old days of George Best.

Last edited:

Irwin99

I think his 'performances' against Benfica away and especially Chelsea away in 05-06 were even more symbolic of how bad he could be when things weren't going his way. The year after that in 06/07 he became the second best player in the world besides Kaka. I agree that was the year he was at his most exciting and magical.

Seriously anyone who wants a look at how bad and frustrating Ronaldo could be should watch the highlights of that 3-0 defeat to Chelsea. I remember my brother laughing at him because he was just so terrible, it was almost a one out of ten performance.

That's why we as fans should be patient with the likes of Antony who can be similarly terrible at times but who also seems to have a real fire about him and never hides or is anonymous.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Well I think in general that's a fair description, and I totally understand where you came from when you keep saying from time and time again he is not anywhere among elite dribbler on the all time great list.

But sometimes I do get the wrong impression from you labelling him more as a goalscorer, maybe similar to Muller (who was a great goalscorer btw), rather than all round attacker (like Cruyff maybe?). For me I would say he is more like a Cruyff rather than Muller over longer period of his career.

As you see I joined this forum back in 2003. I was basically a big fan of Ronaldo since his very earlier days here because of his electrifying pace, and full of skills and tricks. You know he is like a new golden boy from the late Joga Bonito era. And I just don't get why people would label him as a goalscorer who is lacking ball genius over the course of his career. IMO he is the most talented/skillful player even seen from Old Trafford, since the good old days of George Best.
Cryuff is football iq personified. I wouldnt say him and Ronnie had much in common. Im not saying that Cryuff was better taking everything into consideration just that they were very different footballers. Ronaldo has his own style and attributes that doesnt really warrant a like for like comparison. I cant really think of any apart from Gareth Bale being a poor man's Ronaldo.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm writing this as a levelheaded European resident who feels no affinity for Ronaldo anymore after his awful behavior regarding man utd.
But I maintain that the best Middle Eastern teams are probably better than what we all imagine.
I would agree with this. Especially the Saudi league. The only reason the players don't leave Saudi for European clubs is because of the high wages and lifestyle the players get in Saudi.

The said, I disagree they will survive in the premier league. I think they would be mid table in the championship if I could speculate.

shamans

I think his 'performances' against Benfica away and especially Chelsea away in 05-06 were even more symbolic of how bad he could be when things weren't going his way. The year after that in 06/07 he became the second best player in the world besides Kaka. I agree that was the year he was at his most exciting and magical.

Seriously anyone who wants a look at how bad and frustrating Ronaldo could be should watch the highlights of that 3-0 defeat to Chelsea. I remember my brother laughing at him because he was just so terrible, it was almost a one out of ten performance.

That's why we as fans should be patient with the likes of Antony who can be similarly terrible at times but who also seems to have a real fire about him and never hides or is anonymous.
No doubt it's good to be patient with new players especially their first season but I think there was a big difference. From the start you knew Ronaldo was just something special albeit frustrating. Every game you would see the sparks. It's a bit like young Pogba despite being totally different players where you genuinely felt something special.

There were these trash performances but there was also him 19 years old in the Euros shining for Portugal. Antony is now 23. Ronaldo at that age was arguably the best player in the world. (btw I think he was better than Kaka 06/07)

GifLord

Any league compare to Europe's top 7/8 leagues plus Brasilian and Argentina leagues look like farmers league tbh if you go to the extreme.
That's not true. You at least get some decent talent with huge potential from those countires. Haven't seen anything of sorts from middle east.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That's not true. You at least get some decent talent with huge potential from those countires. Haven't seen anything of sorts from middle east.
Yes, the average saudi player has less talent than the average greek player, just to point an example. The main reason arab leagues would suck without the highly paid foreign players. But they are showing some dominance on ACL nowadays. They're not as bad as 10 years ago.

wangyu

From what I heard, the Saudi players are not allowed to leave their league... Owairan the guy who scored a wonder solo goal vs Belgium in the WC 94 was not allowed to leave the country despite huge interest. I don't know if this is still the case.
Also there simply isn't much need for it because they are highly paid and the facilities are all top notch.

mshnsh

Cryuff is football iq personified. I wouldnt say him and Ronnie had much in common. Im not saying that Cryuff was better taking everything into consideration just that they were very different footballers. Ronaldo has his own style and attributes that doesnt really warrant a like for like comparison. I cant really think of any apart from Gareth Bale being a poor man's Ronaldo.
The main difference between Ronaldo and Bale is the obsession Ronaldo has with scoring that Bale never did in addition to the heading and poaching ability. I think Bale was abit quicker though.

The game vs Bayern in 2014, Bale through on goal squares to Ronaldo for an easy goal. The reverse is very unlikely.

lex talionis

Neither do I… I just don’t see why the football over there should be bad. Most of those countries keep their best players in their own league. They have money to spare so there is also no serious need for them to go abroad. The Middle East is crazy about football, they have great stadiums. Infrastructure looks awesome, full stadiums. It should be quite decent.

Ever since the club world cup expanded the Middle Eastern participators get decent results and they seem to hold their own vs the big European clubs, therefore my logic says they can beat several EPL teams in a full season.
I say from the entire Asian/African continents the teams out of this region seem to be the best. They’re already capable of beating the best South American teams…
It may be worth a look to see if the Saudi league -- I think we're really talking only about the Saudi Pro League -- is anywhere close to the PL. The problem for people like us in Europe and North America is that there's only so much time in the day to spend watching football. So most us here, like myself, get no more than highlights. And that's unlikely to change no matter how many Ronaldos cash out at the end of their careers. But if it really is at or nearly at the level of the PL, we'll take a look.

GifLord

From what I heard, the Saudi players are not allowed to leave their league... Owairan the guy who scored a wonder solo goal vs Belgium in the WC 94 was not allowed to leave the country despite huge interest. I don't know if this is still the case.
Also there simply isn't much need for it because they are highly paid and the facilities are all top notch.
So you're basing his great solo goal at the world cup for him having a great career in Europe if he had the chance to play?

shamans

The reason you don't see them is because the Saudi league players are very well payed and there is little incentive to leave. Players rather stay local to their country and make a decent wage otherwise I have no doubt we'd see more Saudi players across Europe. Not in the top leagues but say Turkish league maybe Belgium or lower level dutch leagues.

Look at Omar AbdulRehman as an example

shamans

So you're basing his great solo goal at the world cup for him having a great career in Europe if he had the chance to play?
He is only identifying him as the guy who scored that goal.

Also, he I looked it up and there was indeed a law that prevented players from playing abroad even though he had interest from European clubs.

GifLord

He is only identifying him as the guy who scored that goal.

Also, he I looked it up and there was indeed a law that prevented players from playing abroad even though he had interest from European clubs.
It was probably work permit problems which a lot of players outside EU had to deal with

frostbite

Clearly need anger management.

Anyway, you can write whatever you want, I followed Ronaldo through his career from his debut at United to his final game here and for me, even in his prime, his game lacked that genius that other greats possessed. His greatness is about his goals and longevity. He was a great athlete who was also a great goalscorer.
Really? You mean the following "lacked that genius that other greats possessed"? Seriously? I think most of the "other greats" would love to have the "genius" required to score these:

Or perhaps these: