Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

iHicksy

Not just that. Ogden and North Haverbrook too!
I hear ronaldo gets boo'd by the crowd
He has had several goals dissalowed
Is there a chance his free-kicks still bend?
Not on your life, my saudi friend

What about those religious mobs?
They'll be given cushy jobs
Was the league pioneered by an ex red Devil?
Yes, good sir it's legit as city's treble

But the wage structure looks all cracked and broken
Sorry, Pep , redcafe has spoken

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
All good, thanks for clarification. I guess if I were to try and calculate it, I'd say 50/50 Ronaldo/Money and it sounds like you'd say like 25/75 Ronaldo/Money (or maybe even less, regardless I get your point).

An interesting point on his role is it's really diminishing returns for him now (not financially of course), I personally think he was probably vital in the initial recruitment drive because it is a country with a huge image issue but now there are a lot of big names and his influence as the 'figurehead' will wane quickly. Saudi needed him for this recruitment push but next for them is to sign someone with more credibility as a 'current' elite player.

Just checked to see if any new players had joined and I didn't realise Malcolm had gone there from Zenit. Again he's probably in the good but not elite bracket but I thought we might see him in the PL or back in LL again.
If I understand you correctly, you believe that there is some "critical mass" that has to be achieved to lure players into the league with the competitive perspective. As in "if we just get enough good players, the world will have to accept us as a serious league since there's no denying the quality and the better the competition gets, the easier it is to attract good players". I get what you mean and I'd also say that CR7 adds much to this critical mass but to me, the league is still far from achieving it. IMO, most of the players who joined the league would have joined anyway thanks to the money alone. I'd even say that for many of the star signings (Benzema, Mané, Kanté, Koulibaly to name a few) the fact that they join a league in a muslim country carries much more weight.

But to be honest, I don't think the Saudis are even interested in making the league "competitive" or a real rival product to its European counterparts. They are after the attention that those names generate, not after their qualities as a football player. And precisely because of the deminishing returns that you spoke of, I believe that their spending will eventually dry up and that they won't pose a real threat to the EPL, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga. If they wanted to do so, they would have pursued a different strategy, IMO. But that's a bit offtopic I guess :)

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The GOAT scores again for Al Nassr in the semi final to lead them to their first ever Arab Champions Cup final.

4 goals in 5 games to start the season.

Despite how poor and underwhelming Al Nassr have been so far Ronaldo has been the difference maker. Also the top scorer of this competition now.

They will most likely face Al Hilal in the final and based on recent performances I think Al Hilal will win.

Joel Miller

The GOAT scores again for Al Nassr in the semi final to lead them to their first ever Arab Champions Cup final.

Despite how poor and underwhelming Al Nassr have been so far Ronaldo has been the difference maker. Also the top scorer of this competition now.

They will most likely face Al Hilal in the final and based on recent performances I think Al Hilal will win.
No disrespect but I always get a chuckle at this and the desperation of it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

What a lad!

Perro Caca

21/22 bells ringing again, team falls to bits in order to facilitate his ego.

SportingCP96

Supports
No disrespect but I always get a chuckle at this and the desperation of it.
Maybe for you.

He has been called the GOAT by many people for a majority of his career. As has Messi.

Pick your GOAT and move on. Same happened with Pele and Maradona. The four of them are the only players in history with enough to their game and accolades to be called it.

Based on many factors for me the GOAT is undoubtedly Ronaldo.

Shouldn't bother you one bit.

OverratedOpinion

Maybe for you.

He has been called the GOAT by many people for a majority of his career. As has Messi.

Pick your GOAT and move on. She happened with Pele and Maradona. The four of them are the only players in history with enough to their game and accolades to be called it.

I think he's just referring to the fact that you feel the need to call him that in this context.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think he's just referring to the fact that you feel the need to call him that in this context.
If I go to the Messi forum after a Miami game you have multiple people syaong "Goat" or online or wherever.

Why is it such a problem for Ronaldo?

Some of you lot are obsessed with hating on the guy for being the GOAT when he has every justification for it.

Go call Messi the goat in his forum, or sing his praises, that's totally fine and I respect it because he as well has the justification to receive that praise. Just read the thread or don't and move on. It's never that serious people.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Maybe for you.

Pick your GOAT and move on. Same happened with Pele and Maradona. The four of them are the only players in history with enough to their game and accolades to be called it.

By his fans. Not by anybody objective.

OverratedOpinion

If I go to the Messi forum after a Miami game you have multiple people syaong "Goat" or online or wherever.

Why is it such a problem for Ronaldo?

Some of you lot are obsessed with hating on the guy for being the GOAT when he has every justification for it.

Go call Messi the goat in his forum, or sing his praises, that's totally fine and I respect it because he as well has the justification to receive that praise. Just read the thread or don't and move on. It's never that serious people.
That's weird too.

It's just like it's being said because both Ronaldo's biggest fans and Messi's biggest fans still can't let go of the argument after all these years.

SportingCP96

Supports
By his fans. Not by anybody objective.
Professional players, coaches (like everyone favorite on this forum....Sir Alex), pundits and many more.

But sure its only his "fans". Pure ignorance.

I swear this thread gets more replies out of Messi fans and Ronaldo haters then the Ronaldo fans.

Try to find my last post on a Messi thread, You lot are obsessed.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe for you.

Actually the need for CR himself and their toxic fans (that any other usual suspect also has, but in case of CR7 goes beyond far) it's why it cringes quite a lot the undoubtedly factors.
I trully think that these factors are the ones that triggers many normal fans and trolls to go after CR. You are not helping the cause at all man, for real.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He has been in great goalscoring form this year isn't he? 23 goals in 28 games in 2023. Yeh its just Saudi league + Euro qualifiers, but even so he has still manage more goals there than the Ballon D'ors winner and runners up from last year.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He has been in great goalscoring form this year isn't he? 23 goals in 28 games in 2023. Yeh its just Saudi league + Euro qualifiers, but even so he has still manage more goals there than the Ballon D'ors winner and runners up from last year.
Like you said it’s just the Saudi league. Weghorst would probably get 20+ goals in that league.

SportingCP96

Supports
Actually the need for CR himself and their toxic fans (that any other usual suspect also has, but in case of CR7 goes beyond far) it's why it cringes quite a lot the undoubtedly factors.
I trully think that these factors are the ones that triggers manynormal fans and trolls to go after CR. You are not helping the cause at all man, for real.
calling them "many normal fans" is a quite the reach.

Whichever way you try to spin it your simply 100% wrong in thinking it is wrong to call Ronaldo Messi Maradona or pele the goat. It literally happens everywhere on social media for the last 20 years whenever any of those four names are brought up. Go to a comment section on any of these guys YouTube compilations and tell me what you see.

What is more cringe is Ronaldo haters getting upset over calling Ronaldo the GOAT as well as spending their days trying to prove why he is not.

That comment has generated 8 replies already. You lot are strange, get a grip of yourselves. Your in a Ronaldo thread, if you don't like reading it then don't go click on the thread. Simple solution. because guess what? it will probably be said again and you want to know why? because he's in my opinion but arguably the greatest player this sport has ever seen.

Like I said, of you don't like it, stop coming to this thread.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Like you said it’s just the Saudi league. Weghorst would probably get 20+ goals in that league.
Plus Euro qualifiers.

Weghorst only scored 5 goals for his country in his whole career. Ronaldo scored 5 this year alone.

OverratedOpinion

calling them "many normal fans" is a quite the reach.

Whichever way you try to spin it your simply 100% wrong in thinking it is wrong to call Ronaldo Messi Maradona or pele the goat. It literally happens everywhere on social media for the last 20 years whenever any of those four names are brought up. Go to a comment section on any of these guys YouTube compilations and tell me what you see.

What is more cringe is Ronaldo haters getting upset over calling Ronaldo the GOAT as well as spending their days trying to prove why he is not.

That comment has generated 8 replies already. You lot are strange, get a grip of yourselves. Your in a Ronaldo thread, if you don't like reading it then don't go click on the thread. Simple solution. because guess what? it will probably be said again and you want to know why? because he's in my opinion but arguably the greatest player this sport has ever seen.

Like I said, of you don't like it, stop coming to this thread.
If you take a step back and read this page again. Do you reckon maybe you're taking it a bit too seriously?

There is liking a player then there is letting it frustrate you to this level.

It just looks a bit odd coming in like "THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME DOES IT AGAIN!" after he scores a penalty in the Saudi League. Just a strange sentence to read, nothing too deep.

SportingCP96

Supports
Second top goal scorer for the euro qualifiers as well!

You can tell he is in the right head space again after a very tough 2022 in his personal life which translated into professional. He's really having fun and enjoying his football again which is nice to see.

SportingCP96

Supports
If you take a step back and read this page again. Do you reckon maybe you're taking it a bit too seriously?

There is liking a player then there is letting it frustrate you to this level.

It just looks a bit odd coming in like "THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME DOES IT AGAIN!" after he scores a penalty in the Saudi League. Just a strange sentence to read, nothing too deep.
Both Ronaldo and Messi will be retiring much sooner rather than later.

They are in the tail end of their carers having fun, is it wrong to appreciate them while they are still playing?

The people who read it seem to get upset.As you said, its not that deep.

OverratedOpinion

Both Ronaldo and Messi will be retiring much sooner rather than later.

They are in the tail end of their carers having fun, is it wrong to appreciate them while they are still playing?

The people who read it seem to get upset.As you said, its not that deep.
Enjoy away, you seem to be a little overly passionate about him but I get it I suppose. I was the same with Scholes who was my favourite player ever.

SportingCP96

Supports

Highlights of the whole game for anyone interested. Al Nassr are going to have to play much better to beat Al Hilal.

SportingCP96

Supports
Enjoy away, you seem to be a little overly passionate about him but I get it I suppose. I was the same with Scholes who was my favourite player ever.
I guess Calling one of the 4 players in the Mount Rushmore of football the "Goat" is now considered overly passionate.

I guess we can agree to disagree because one comment should not have generated this much commotion from rival fans. Then again they have always been insecure about the possibility that he may be better their their idol.

OverratedOpinion

I guess Calling one of the 4 players in the Mount Rushmore of football the "Goat" is now considered overly passionate.

I guess we can agree to disagree because one comment should not have generated this much commotion from rival fans. Then again they have always been insecure about the possibility that he may be better their their idol.
It's not that, he is one of the best of all time. You just seem to get very defensive if he's even potentially criticized.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

He is one of those four in your opinion. It is a bit funny that you demand that everybody accepts you think he's the greatest but are totally outraged if somebody thinks he's not in the top 5/10 whatever.

SportingCP96

Supports
It's not that, he is one of the best of all time. You just seem to get very defensive if he's even potentially criticized.
Telling people their weird for being upset at me calling him the Goat Is not being defensive about him being criticized. Want to know why? because thats not anyone criticizing him.

Thats people getting tilted over a comment on a forum about a player being called "goat".

Respectfully your point makes zero sense.

SportingCP96

Supports
He is one of those four in your opinion. It is a bit funny that you demand that everybody accepts you think he's the greatest but are totally outraged if somebody thinks he's not in the top 5/10 whatever.
Thats an opinion everyone is entitled to have.

Just like anyone can say Messi and Ronaldo are top 20 at best. Is it a stupid opinion? 100%.

Similarly their is a much higher argument and justification for calling Ronaldo the goat or a top 4 player all time then to call him a top 10. Regardless as I pointed out before I can care less about that argument anymore because the past 2 pages have been people arguing about that which I did not reply too.

What is even weirder is having more posts in a Ronaldo thread then a Messi one and being upset that someone called him the goat because he led his team to a final.

Who tf cares. Just move on people or don't reply to it. All of these replies over one comment which is beyond justifiable. Get a grip.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Second top goal scorer for the euro qualifiers as well!

You can tell he is in the right head space again after a very tough 2022 in his personal life which translated into professional. He's really having fun and enjoying his football again which is nice to see.
Yeh at this rate I am very hopeful he would get his 900 goal milestone by end of his Saudi contract and heading into his retirement.

Imagine Ronaldo gets 900, as compared to Pele who was on 762, Muller on 634, Di Stefano on 530 etc. Thats quite an insane jump from all these past greats with their own crazy records. Different eras I know but still, what an amazing feats.

And when I was young I always thought those records/milestone are impossible to reach, break and go beyond in modern times. Back then the very best goalscorer of our time like Shearer or L.Ronaldo would only gets around 300-400 by end of their career. There's no way they could reach anywhere near to 500/600/700 from the Di Stefano/Muller/Pele. But Ronaldo gets 800-900, madness.

SportingCP96

Supports
Over the past year it is a problem whenever anything remotely positive is said about Ronaldo.

It's simply beyond strange and weird behavior.

SportingCP96

Supports
Yeh at this rate I am very hopeful he would get his 900 goal milestone by end of his Saudi contract and heading into his retirement.

Imagine Ronaldo gets 900, as compared to Pele who was on 762, Muller on 634, Di Stefano on 530 etc. Thats quite an insane jump from all these past greats. Different eras I know but still, what an amazing feats.

And when I was young I always thought those records/milestone are impossible to reach, break and go beyond in modern times. Back then the very best goalscorer of our time like Shearer or L.Ronaldo would only gets around 300-400 by end of their career. But Ronaldo gets 800-900, madness.
Funny you say that, I actually just read a stat that Ronaldo has scored 385 goals since turning 30 alone! Thats more all time goals then some all time greats have had in their whole careers.

As for the 900 Goal milestone it would be an incredible achievement and in theory make the record unattainable for the newcomers like Haaland and Mbappe who are on really good pace.

To be fair though Messi in the MLS will have a really good chance to catch or pass Ronaldo if he lets down a little. Those extra 2 years of age will have a big impact on those legs bur hopefully he can still score at a good rate.

4 in 5 to start the season is a positive sign for sure!

mshnsh

Congratulations on recovering from world cup related depression. I was really worried when you disappeared after Qatar 2022.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

Imagine Ronaldo gets 900, as compared to Pele who was on 762, Muller on 634, Di Stefano on 530 etc. Thats quite an insane jump from all these past greats with their own crazy records. Different eras I know but still, what an amazing feats.

And when I was young I always thought those records/milestone are impossible to reach, break and go beyond in modern times. Back then the very best goalscorer of our time like Shearer or L.Ronaldo would only gets around 300-400 by end of their career. There's no way they could reach anywhere near to 500/600/700 from the Di Stefano/Muller/Pele. But Ronaldo gets 800-900, madness.
None of what Ronaldo does in Saudi matters, its his European career that people will look at

SportingCP96

Supports
Another thing I noticed from these games so far. Brozovic has been their best signing this summer. He makes everything tick in that midfield !

OverratedOpinion

Telling people their weird for being upset at me calling him the Goat Is not being defensive about him being criticized. Want to know why? because thats not anyone criticizing him.

Thats people getting tilted over a comment on a forum about a player being called "goat".

Respectfully your point makes zero sense.
It's just your tone, if you look at the post directly above the one I'm qouting another totally different poster believed you came across as "outraged". Coming back with paragraphs in response, arguing points no one made ect.

If you're not then great, I really don't have a great degree of interest. I was just agreeing it looked weird that you felt the need to refer to him as the goat in the context you did.

Anyway, long as you're happy.

SportingCP96

Supports
Congratulations on recovering from world cup related depression. I was really worried when you disappeared after Qatar 2022.
I was actually very happy for Messi. Both Ronaldo and Messi deserved a world cup on their CV and Messi was phenomenal in that World Cup. That final was the best I ever saw and Mbappe was equally as brilliant.

I went away from the CAF and only really like to message on other threads especially the Portuguese one now.

A lot of ignorance on here got exhausting to waste my time on.

SportingCP96

Supports
It's just your tone, if you look at the post directly above the one I'm qouting another totally different poster believed you came across as "outraged". Coming back with paragraphs in response, arguing points no one made ect.

If you're not then great, I really don't have a great degree of interest. I was just agreeing it looked weird that you felt the need to refer to him as the goat in the context you did.

Anyway, long as you're happy.
You can't decipher a tone via message. I guess its just the way you're choosing to read it.