Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

Vitro

The Saudi league is of extremely poor quality and every goal he scores there is meaningless. Just like it’s always been for every other semi-retired footballer playing in these sort of leagues.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The Saudi league is of extremely poor quality and every goal he scores there is meaningless. Just like it’s always been for every other semi-retired footballer playing in these sort of leagues.
I frankly dont remember anyone bigging up that league before Ronnie did it. He even said before he´d never go to a league like that. I´d never thought Saudi Arabia as a football nation untill the last WC. Still I dont mind seeing great goals he can pull off and despite it not being a elite league now, if the investment continues then will be at some point. But for people lamenting oil money in football its hardly a great compliment.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yet “the Ronaldo years” weren’t particularly amazing compared to seasons before and since. It’s not as though he lifted the club out of the doldrums when he graced us with his presence. Plus he fecked off to play for his dream club before he peaked as a footballer.

He was a very good player for us and it was undeniably exciting seeing him blossom into the best player in the league but we’ve had the best player in the league on multiple occasions at this club. So let’s not get too carried away about his time with Manchester United. It wasn’t all that special.
Speak for your own self only. A lot of current United players (Rashford, Garnacho, Hojlund) and fans would totally disagree.

Brophs

The One and Only
Speak for your own self only. A lot of current United players (Rashford, Garnacho, Hojlund) and fans would totally disagree.
Ronaldo joined Madrid on the day of Garnacho’s 5th birthday. I’m not quite sure he’s the guy to ask.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can anyone bothering to write Saudi is a crap league save themselves the trouble? We get it, why keep saying it?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo joined Madrid on the day of Garnacho’s 5th birthday. I’m not quite sure he’s the guy to ask.
And Garnacho join our academy and dream of wearing no.7 shirts one day scoring goals here with sui celebration.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Its not entirely about that. In the Cantona days, fans mostly wanted Giggs, Cantona or Beckham shirts. In Ronaldo´s best years at the club, everyone wanted shirt with Ronaldo on their back. Also Ronaldo scored our only goal in the final despite missing his penalty in the shootout. But many of his most memorable moments still came for Man Utd. For sure Madrid got the bargain of the century when they bought him, but football is an entertainment industry and Ronaldo delivered for some time while he was here.
Not everyone. The Rooney shirt was a big seller during that period. The only shirt I ever bought was around then and it had Evra on the back. Giggs and Scholes would also have been very popular, for good reason.

RVN1991

Its not entirely about that. In the Cantona days, fans mostly wanted Giggs, Cantona or Beckham shirts. In Ronaldo´s best years at the club, everyone wanted shirt with Ronaldo on their back. Also Ronaldo scored our only goal in the final despite missing his penalty in the shootout. But many of his most memorable moments still came for Man Utd. For sure Madrid got the bargain of the century when they bought him, but football is an entertainment industry and Ronaldo delivered for some time while he was here.
I was a teen back then and wanted nothing to do with him after his slave comment. No chance of 15 year old me caught dead in a Ronaldo shirt. Had a Rooney and a Tevez kit personally.

RVN1991

I frankly dont remember anyone bigging up that league before Ronnie did it. He even said before he´d never go to a league like that. I´d never thought Saudi Arabia as a football nation untill the last WC. Still I dont mind seeing great goals he can pull off and despite it not being a elite league now, if the investment continues then will be at some point. But for people lamenting oil money in football its hardly a great compliment.
Only people that bring it up are CR7 fans to be fair. Ask any football fan about the Saudi league and all they know is a bunch of has beens are being paid small fortunes to play out there, that's it.

RVN1991

And Garnacho join our academy and dream of wearing no.7 shirts one day scoring goals here with sui celebration.
Considering Garnacho was born and bred in Madrid I doubt that had anything at all to do with his time at United.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Considering Garnacho was born and bred in Madrid I doubt that had anything at all to do with his time at United.
So why do he even bother to join our academy from Atletico then? While imitating Ronaldo with his every goal celebration here?

You know, Atletico has always been among top 3 teams in Spain over past decade, while we are not even among top 4 team in England for many occasions.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Going out on a limb here but do you think that maybe a Hispanic footballer like Garnacho might have had more interest in the Real Madrid version of Ronaldo?
Sure, but he still fancy playing for us while imitating his idol here.

RVN1991

So why do he even bother to join our academy from Atletico then? While imitating Ronaldo with his every goal celebration here?

You know, Atletico has always been among top 3 teams in Spain over past decade, while we are not even among top 4 team in England for many occasions.
We more than likely offer far better wages than atlético

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Saudi League also showing that having a real manager makes a difference. Al Hilal is probably the only club who has a good manager in competitive standards and despite not having the best foreigners, things are going well.

JogaBonitoRooney

Why am I seeing memes that CR7 has more calendar goals than than Haaland, Mbappe, Kane? Since when have we ever included a non euro league player in these lists?

Last edited:

Pickle85

Why am I seeing memes that CR7 has more calendar girls than than Haaland, Mbappe, Kane? Since when have we ever included a non euro league player in these lists?
I could believe that CR7 has more calendar girls but it's an odd list to make.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
54 goals in 2023 at age 38, I assume should be some sort of record for any players in their late 30s? (at least in the modern eras)

The closest one I knew is Romario, who scored 30 goals in a season in Brazil when he was already 39.

Apparently Ibrahimovic also scored 31 goals in MLS when he was 38, then went to Italy and 17 goals when he was nearly 40, probably even better.

Puskas scoring 28 goals in Spain at 37 years of age is another amazing feat, as he was scoring goals at highest level.

And Di Stefano also scoring 17 goals in Spain when he was 37, also admirable.

Zico also scored 22 goals in Japan when he was 38-39.

Sheringham also scored 21 goals at age 39 in Championship.

But I guess there must be some more names in the very old eras who scored alot too.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Why am I seeing memes that CR7 has more calendar goals than than Haaland, Mbappe, Kane? Since when have we ever included a non euro league player in these lists?
Its not a European Golden Shoe award or anything similar for sure (which is far more prestigious). But in fact IFFHS award for world top scorer does exist since 2011, which includes any top division league goalscorer from any country in calendar year. Ronaldo won it 5 times, Messi twice, Lewandwoski twice, Kane once, Mbappe once. But there are also 2 odd names from Asian leagues who has also won it once (Bounedjah in 2018, Hamdallah in 2019), who also get some media coverage at that time (but not generate much public interest for obvious reason).

And for sure we can't compare goals scored in Asian leagues the same sense with goals scored in strongest leagues in Europe. But the fact that Saudi league has imported so many world's biggest names this year (2 ballon D'or winners, a few Ballon D'or runners up players, treble winners, CL winners, and some other top players from PL, LL, Serie A etc), I think does help generate some interest to the public in internet comparison (again they are on different levels so shouldn't be apple to apple comparison). And for obvious reason, when the list involves the biggest name in football/sports (with most followings), sure will guarantee to generate more media attention/public interest too.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He can score even more goals next year if he joins another piss poor league.

Sir Marcus

Yet “the Ronaldo years” weren’t particularly amazing compared to seasons before and since. It’s not as though he lifted the club out of the doldrums when he graced us with his presence. Plus he fecked off to play for his dream club before he peaked as a footballer.

He was a very good player for us and it was undeniably exciting seeing him blossom into the best player in the league but we’ve had the best player in the league on multiple occasions at this club. So let’s not get too carried away about his time with Manchester United. It wasn’t all that special.
:lol:

brunoag4

They're trying to imply that Ronaldo at 38 in the 28th ranked Saudi Arabia is outperforming Haaland, Mbappe and Kane and that this is a legendary achievement:lol:

I'm sad for Hamdallah the Saudi League executioner who was no.1 top goalscorer in the world above Messi and Lewa in 2019 and yet received no recognition.

Rojow

What Ronaldo did in Saudi is very good, considering his age. It is to be applauded, the issue is that they want to make it look as if those goals were at the level of those scored by Haaland, Mbappé and Kane in leagues several steps above the Saudi. And that's how they sell it, that's how Ronaldo himself does it, which is why they later respond to messages on Instagram, which makes his tremendously narcissistic personality look embarrassing.

Well, the last part is not surprising, in the end he always cared more about his personal numbers than what the team does in general.

cyberman

What Ronaldo did in Saudi is very good, considering his age. It is to be applauded, the issue is that they want to make it look as if those goals were at the level of those scored by Haaland, Mbappé and Kane in leagues several steps above the Saudi. And that's how they sell it, that's how Ronaldo himself does it, which is why they later respond to messages on Instagram, which makes his tremendously narcissistic personality look embarrassing.

Well, the last part is not surprising, in the end he always cared more about his personal numbers than what the team does in general.
Isn’t it weird to put Mbappe in there when the same argument against Ronaldo could be used against him?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Plus the attendances being reported dont look great for the league either, most running at 1/3 capacity at best, Al Nassr close to 80% capacity each game.
I struggle to see the league survive once Ronaldo retires, its the only thing bringing fans and media attention right now.

bakalhau

It's a good number for Ronnie and it's a nice achievement given the context. It's hard to say he's outperforming other strikers - he hasn't scored more than Kane or Halland, I mean technically yes, but they've posted the same numbers pretty much, while obviously other strikers having to contend with better defenders and teams.

Still, I've watched his games this year, he's playing some good team football and it's not so much for me about the quantity of goals he's scoring, it's the quality of the goals, and the eye test. His technique, split stepping, anticipation, body positioning for striking the ball, off the ball movement, ability to find himself alone, jumping ability, his shooting versatility, right foot, left foot, at an angle, straight on goal, inside the area, outside the area, are all still there. Not only are most of these gone for most of the strikers at age 33 or 35, to be able to score so often not only shows the quality he had at its peak and he still has now, but shows the dedication he has put into his job after turning 30.

I do not think this is an earth shattering award for him, but it's a nice achievement still. In my view, this year proves easily he is 2 or 3 levels above the league he's playing, but that's a logical conclusion, just like it is with Messi and the MLS as well. He could probably make it out pretty well somewhere in Europe still - it's just very hard for me to gauge where this level he's at translates to in European football. Premier League? Portuguese 1st Division? French 1st Division? Championship? Austrian League? I have no idea, and it doesn't matter in the slightest. He's happy where he is, and I've been extremely entertained watching him play this year.

cyberman

Nah. Ligue One is levels above SA. How can be used against him?
In terms of Mbappes record being held up with the likes of Haaland and Kane. French football is miles behind the top 4/5 leagues

brunoag4

probably the most insecure and delusional player in the football world ever, really seems to have lost it. Messi living rent-free in his head 24/7.

“Saudi Pro League is more competitive than Ligue1, I can say that after one year spent there”. “We are better than French league already now”.

www.twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1748371184188539123?t=XkvdxBafINPn6oY4zKjBxw

“I was the best goalscorer this season, imagine beating young animals like Haaland… I’m proud. And I’ll be 39 soon!”. “I like when people doubt again about me and then I’m successfull. I don’t get affected by the criticism”.

www.essentiallysports.com/soccer-football-news-cristiano-ronaldo-proud-of-beating-young-animals-like-erling-haaland-after-record-breaking-year-with-al-nassr/

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
probably the most insecure and delusional player in the football world ever, really seems to have lost it. Messi living rent-free in his head 24/7.

“Saudi Pro League is more competitive than Ligue1, I can say that after one year spent there”. “We are better than French league already now”.

www.twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1748371184188539123?t=XkvdxBafINPn6oY4zKjBxw

“I was the best goalscorer this season, imagine beating young animals like Haaland… I’m proud. And I’ll be 39 soon!”. “I like when people doubt again about me and then I’m successfull. I don’t get affected by the criticism”.

www.essentiallysports.com/soccer-football-news-cristiano-ronaldo-proud-of-beating-young-animals-like-erling-haaland-after-
record-breaking-year-with-al-nassr/
I initially thought you were posting old quotes. He's such a manbaby. He even said the debate over to his fans in autumn.

Rojow

Deluded as f*.

How can he believe his goals are the same as Haaland? Incredible. He believes what his fans want to believe.

KeanoMagicHat

A really odd fella, something not right in the head. Has helped create the monster he is and given him an edge at his peak, but you wonder who exactly he's trying to prove to. His legacy is quite secure - he'll never be the greatest ever but he'll be up there - but he's chasing something that isn't there. Even in the popularity driven Fifa's Best awards, he didn't get a single vote from any manager, player or journalist, even the Saudi media.