Cristiano Ronaldo pre-06/07

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I don't think anyone would disagree that his form absolutely skyrocketed after the 2006 World Cup and he's never looked back since. I'm interested to know what you all thought of him prior to that tournament?

If my maths are correct I was 12 when he signed for United and 15 in 2006, so I do remember it quite well, but obviously I didn't understand or watch football as much then. I distinctly remember that a lot of fans really weren't convinced by him, I was one of them for sure. He looked absolutely miles behind Robben, who is only a year older and was absolutely tearing the league up for Chelsea (on the left, incidentally, which seems quite weird now!).

Interested to hear what some of the older fans thought of him at the time and if anyone can honestly say they could have predicted the absolute monster he'd become.

Andy_Cole

I'm not going to lie. I wanted him out after that World Cup. But wow that season in 2006, he really was so good.

El Zoido

I never wanted him gone and always expected him to improve. Not to the degree he did obviously, but he was always an exciting player even if his decision making was suspect at times.

Bwuk

You could tell he had all the talent in the world but he was extremely frustrating. Rooney looked a much better player.

soap

I'm not going to lie. I wanted him out after that World Cup. But wow that season in 2006, he really was so good.
Yeah, I really wasn't arsed if he stayed or went. Not because of the incident with Rooney, that didn't bother me much - if anything that WC made me want him to stay a bit more because he was pretty good at that tournament. He'd almost seemed to regress from his first season if I recall correctly, even if his goal return was getting steadily better.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
From the start of his debut season until that 2006 season when he went beast mode, he scored more then the season before. He was developing fysically and once he got to grips with his talent and the league itself there was no turning back. ever since. That 2006 season was his best technically speaking ( in my opinion). He was a magician that season, tearing it up for fun.

FujiVice

He'd occassionally have this world class game in him, like when he tore Arsenal to shreds in the second half at Highbury in 2005. He'd always dominate the cup games as well, like against Millwall, Wigan and Arsenal in the FA cup final. He really started playing well in the second half of the 2006 season, if I recall. We had a bit of a nightmare early on in the season with a lot of draws and defeats, but we looked the best team in the league from January to April that year. It seemed the most obvious thing in the world that he'd become a great player. I never expected him to be what he became, though. I doubt think you ever think someone can set those standards like he did.

There were times in 2004/05 that Fergie had to take him out of the team every now and then. He was understandably struggling with his fathers passing, which Ferguson felt the need to protect him.

stubie

I'll gladly admit I was hoping the rumors of Valencia bidding £25m were true. Did not think he would become World Class within a year.

I was more keen on Aaron Lennon at the time, thought he would have been perfect for United back then

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I remember being really frustrated with him during his first season but his performance against Millwall in the 2004 FA cup final was brilliant and he never really looked back.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I thought he was the dogs bollocks since day One to be honest but he turned out to be a very different player to what I envisaged.

I thought he'd become the world's best dribbler.. like a Figo on steroids and a heir to Ronaldinho albeit more direct and a 30 goal a season type player but not a pure finisher like he became. I never thought he had the personality to be all about goalscoring.. thought he enjoyed the tricks and showboating too much but was obviously wrong.

So yeah, thought he could be BPITW but not for the reasons he did become the best. For me 06/07 Ronaldo was him at his best based on what I thought he'd become.. I thought he'd just be that style of player forever and keep gettingbetter at it... not become a forward who operates out wide.

Boycott

I find it remarkable it took 4 years for him to finally score in the Champions League.

The fact that he's since taken the all time scoring record in 7-8 years just shows the galactic jump he took. Back then 20 goals a season was a great return for a striker. Now we have guys who regularly hit 20 by the half way stage of the season. Back then a top winger was judged on their play style and how that leads to chances. Now you have to be complete package.

Classical Mechanic

I always thought he great. He was more entertaining back then than he is now. Figo said he would be the best in the world back in 2003 and I believed him. Didn't envisage that he would dominate the sport with Messi at that level for so long though.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I wished we had signed his Portuguese counterpart Quaresma instead as he was the better player at the time and was a similar age.

Both wingers, both played for Sporting Lisbon, but Quaresma signed for Barca the same time we signed Ronaldo if I remember correctly.

At the time, Ronaldo was unbelievably frustrating and selfish.

Last edited:

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I find it remarkable it took 4 years for him to finally score in the Champions League.

The fact that he's since taken the all time scoring record in 7-8 years just shows the galactic jump he took. Back then 20 goals a season was a great return for a striker. Now we have guys who regularly hit 20 by the half way stage of the season. Back then a top winger was judged on their play style and how that leads to chances. Now you have to be complete package.
I think that's partly due to tactical changes in the game as well. Wingers used to be played on the side of their strongest foot, but now inverted wingers/wide attackers are the norm, allowing them to cut inside on their strongest foot and have shots on goal. Even Robben, as the OP mentioned, was on the left for Chelsea but now plays wide right for Bayern with his signature move of cutting inside and curling one towards the far post.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It might just be down to my United bias but I knew the first game he played for us that he would be a special player and his ambition wouldn't let him fail. There were frustrations along the way but he was always healthy so it was just a matter of everything falling together for him to achieve consistency.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I was wowed by him on his debut for us and never changed my opinion. I thought Ronaldo was going to be a very special player. My only doubt was whether he could become a world class player with us or if he'd have to leave to do it. Turned out he was made of sterner stuff than most of the press and a lot of fans expected. It was a pleasure to watch him grow up.

Oo0AahCantona

Remember being heavily frustrated with him at times, but those last 2 seasons really saw a different breed of player.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
06/07 was the first full season he did it in consistently but even from the second half of the 05/06 season, you could start to see him putting it all together on a regular basis.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Many people forget that his terrific form started in January 2006. Not when the 2006/7 season started. I was also 12 at the time and I loved him from day one. He always kept trying to dribble and as a young lad, that was all I wanted to see.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
It was very very clear to anyone with half a brain watching his debut for us that he was going to become a superstar.

soap

I think that's partly due to tactical changes in the game as well. Wingers used to be played on the side of their strongest foot, but now inverted wingers/wide attackers are the norm, allowing them to cut inside on their strongest foot and have shots on goal. Even Robben, as the OP mentioned, was on the left for Chelsea but now plays wide right for Bayern with his signature move of cutting inside and curling one towards the far post.
This is definitely true and I was gonna mention it before. He was criticised heavily for his crossing - which was often pretty shit. I remember drawing 0-0 at Highbury in 05/06, he hit cross after cross into the stands from the right wing.

Has anyone even given his crossing a second thought in years? Has he even crossed the ball in years?

Amir

06/07 was the first full season he did it in consistently but even from the second half of the 05/06 season, you could start to see him putting it all together on a regular basis.
Same for our team as well, which probably helped.

It's funny that for a while, after we signed Rooney, he overshadowed Ronaldo. That second season for Ronaldo wasns't easy as he struggled to make progress and the team wasn't very good. Things weren't looking any better for half of the third season, but then everything took off beautifully.

Devil81

Not gonna lie there was a period I felt he was a one trick pony, that wasn't to say I didn't think he had talent. I just felt he was a negative to the team during a bad period.

He was one of them talented lads that blown away the potential tag and flew well beyond.

ottosec

Most people thought he was shit and disliked him because of his inconsistency and his diving.

JmRssll555

David Beckham was my hero as a 10 year old and I was devastated when we sold him. Then we signed this foreign teenager I'd never heard of, who had the same name as the "proper" Ronaldo and we'd given him the number 7 shirt. After his debut though, I remember thinking he was the coolest player in the world. Every football game at school after that was spent trying to copy his step-overs. I guess that's what the sport is all about really, isn't it?

Once the euphoria had worn off, I think he became quite annoying for a spell. I still liked him and thought he was great when he pulled off amazing tricks, but 12 year old me could not work out why he hardly ever scored, if he was so good. Of course, watching those same games now, I would probably see more of his potential, but I'm sure I can recall opinions being divided about him around that time. The game that really changed my perception of him was away to Portsmouth - it was a night game, not sure what season - and he scored twice. One of his goals that night was an absolute rocket and it made me think he could be our superstar.

I also remember being totally gutted by the whole Rooney-Ronaldo saga at the World Cup in 2006. I thought for certain that Ronaldo would leave and desperately wanted him to stay. As we know, he came back from the tournament and took it to another level. Lastly, it has to be said, in my youthful opinion, at the time, I never, ever expected Ronaldo to be more influential or better than Rooney.

Wittmann45

Most people thought he was shit and disliked him because of his inconsistency and his diving.
That just isn't true. He was a frustrating player, but most people knew he had almost unlimited talent and potential

I seem to remember one of the first things that caught my eye on the Caf was a discussion about who was going to be the better player, Rooney or Ronaldo.

I bought into the boy wonder hype, and was a firm believer that Rooney was going to be the world's best striker in a few years, but I was surprised how evenly distributed the opinions were. This was before the 2006 World Cup as well.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I honestly thought he was a superstar as soon as he made his debut. Was frustrated with him at times, but never had any doubts.

soap

The game that really changed my perception of him was away to Portsmouth - it was a night game, not sure what season - and he scored twice. One of his goals that night was an absolute rocket and it made me think he could be our superstar.
Ahh yeah, I remember that game! We won 3-1, can't remember who got our other, think it might have been Ruud. I also remember Vidic being at fault for their goal and most people thinking he was shit then :lol:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I remember dreading him taking our freekicks.
Corners too.

I thought he was an immensely frustrating player but you couldn't help but love his combination of poise and explosiveness. I never expected his decision-making to improve that dramatically though. He used to make so, so many stupid decisions.

edcunited1878

If he continued to mature and adapt a more direct approach in England, he will be a top player in Europe, thus be a world class player. I didn't have an expectation on his goal output because he played on the wing or had a free role. But the first match of the year against Fulham, I said just to enjoy the moments we'd have with him because it'll be memories to last a lifetime if things click...and my did they click.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Was nearly in tears when I got home from school and my mum told me he had left. Utter devastation, like someone had died. Now I couldn't care less about him. :(

LInkash

I remember reading this article by George Best in the official United magazine after the World Cup that was saying how he was more excited by Ronaldo than Rooney and how we didn't need Rooney. Not the most popular opinion at the time.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Ahh yeah, I remember that game! We won 3-1, can't remember who got our other, think it might have been Ruud. I also remember Vidic being at fault for their goal and most people thinking he was shit then :lol:

20 seconds into this clip, it was the 05/06 season.

VanGaalEra

In love from day one and was nervous as feck after the 06 World Cup about him leaving.

SirAF

Ageist
I remember watching him play against us for Sporting in that friendly, having never heard about him before, thinking "who is this douche?" while looking at his hair and silver boots :lol: Then, I fell in love.

:drool: