Cristiano Ronaldo should go down as top 5-6 players of all time

Interval

Level
I notice a certain amount of under rating of Ronaldo in all time comparisons. It always leaves me perplexed. For me, he will or should go down in the top 5 of all time category in the same bucket as Pele, Maradona, Messi, Cruyff maybe Fat Ronaldo. I know it may not be the same list for everyone but I mean the one cut higher than even all timers like Zidane or Zico.

I perceive that some tend to under rate him because he's not as "pretty" on the eye in terms of ball control or panache as types of Maradona. Many view him as a goal merchant akin to Muller. But I believe that his skill level is right up there albeit in slightly different, more physical and mental aspects for the game. And that needs to acknowledged. Moreover, his track record in club football and even for a large part of his international record for an averagish national team is a testament to how he single handedly has pulled teams up. The Madrid UCL triple team was good but never as good as the Barca team that came before it. For me, that was Ronaldos sheer ferocity that pulled the team up.

Cue people telling me he's already rated highly on this forum, if so - apologies.

Edit: video

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I notice a certain amount of under rating of Ronaldo in all time comparisons. It always leaves me perplexed. For me, he will or should go down in the top 5 of all time category in the same bucket as Pele, Maradona, Messi, Cruyff maybe Fat Ronaldo. I know it may not be the same list for everyone but I mean the one cut higher than even all timers like Zidane or Zico.

I perceive that some tend to under rate him because he's not as "pretty" on the eye in terms of ball control or panache as types of Maradona. Many view him as a goal merchant akin to Muller. But I believe that his skill level is right up there albeit in slightly different, more physical and mental aspects for the game. And that needs to acknowledged. Moreover, his track record in club football and even for a large part of his international record for an averagish national team is a testament to how he single handedly has pulled teams up. The Madrid UCL triple team was good but never as good as the Barca team that came before it. For me, that was Ronaldos sheer ferocity that pulled the team up.

Cue people telling me he's already rated highly on this forum, if so - apologies.

Edit: video
I think he usually does get put into that top tier and if not he's usually at like level 1.5 where he's better than the Zidane, Charlton, Zico, Iniesta & Xavi level, but not quite the Messi & Maradona level you mentioned. I'd personally have him as 2nd to Messi personally, but the margins at the very top are so small you can see why he'd be viewed otherwise.

Oranges038

He might not be the best ever, but he's definitely in the top one.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The only thing I cannot understand is how high some people rate Fat Ronaldo as among top 5.

Last edited:

Interval

Level
I didn't realise this was even a debate to be honest.
I actually do think it is. More recently off the Ronaldo Vs Ronaldo thread. Im sure a blind poll will show a significant number (maybe not a majority) that think so
I think he usually does get put into that top tier and if not he's usually at like level 1.5 where he's better than the Zidane, Charlton, Zico, Iniesta & Xavi level, but not quite the Messi & Maradona level you mentioned. I'd personally have him as 2nd to Messi personally, but the margins at the very top are so small you can see why he'd be viewed otherwise.
For most of his career, I believe (and still do to a large extent) that Messi is better. But in his time at Madrid and even Juventus, Ronaldo has managed to keep raising his standards in ways people never expected of him. I always thought Messi would pull away due to sheer talent. But by word I underestimated Ronaldo on both talent and mentality. Which is why I said that maybe the mental and physical part of the sport is where he has created new standards that will be aimed to be matched for generations.
He'll go down as one of the best but Beckenbauer is better than fat Ronaldo.
I was tempted to put Beckenbauer. These lists are always unfair to midfielders and defenders.

dinostar77

One of these threads again? Football has been around for 100 years now. There are many players who should make the pantheon of the elite who some would never have heard of.

Giuseppe Meazza. Won 2 world cups. Inter Milans all time top goalscorer. Has a stadium named after him (AC/Inter stadium).

Stanley Matthews, Alfred Di Stefano, Ferenc Puskas etc. Football changes era by era and the eras arent comparable.

In another 80 years time, Messi and Ronaldo will be down the bottom of a list or forgotton by the majority of fans, as new heroes of their eras replace them.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I was tempted to put Beckenbauer. These lists are always unfair to midfielders and defenders.
Indeed. Prior to the Messi-Ronaldo years, I'd often see him noted as third best after Pele and Diego. He's not there now but still one of the best to ever do it.

Interval

Level
Indeed. Prior to the Messi-Ronaldo years, I'd often see him noted as third best after Pele and Diego. He's not there now but still one of the best to ever do it.
I'm unfortunately not a footie connoisseur that I watch matches of the past too frequently and he was unfortunately before my time. That's why I stick to names I may have seen + Pele + Maradoo.

I'm sure people who've had a chance to see him appreciate what these guys brought to the table. I know his skills only off of World Cup reviews of the past I used to watch. And to see him sweep the ball off an attacker while being the only defender in his own half was my first memory of him :cool:

OleBoiii

Of course he should. If Messi didn't exist then I reckon most people would put Ronaldo in the same tier as Maradona and Pele. Probably above both of them.

For some football fans, the idea that the two best players in history are so close in age is a tough pill to swallow. Especially for older fans who have fond memories of the legends of the past. Thus the second best of the two(Messi and Ronaldo) is bound to be underrated.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I genuinely think he's the goat, let alone top 5/6.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Cristiano is there or thereabouts. A few posters ranking him below other historically great footballers or underrating him on the basis of some personal vendetta (which is an unfortunate by-product of his rivalry with Messi) is no cause for alarm as most are simply expressing their subjective opinions, and many probably have niche preferences regarding aesthetics (you have to admit he doesn't possess the swan-like elegance of a Cruyff for example), lasting influence on the fundamentals of the game (an unwritten chapter in his case), and so forth — which improves the standing of certain giants of the sport, vis-à-vis Cristiano. For reference, this is how he was ranked in a recent-ish Redcafe thread:
  • 1: once
  • 2: 6 times
  • 3: 6 times
  • 4: 5 times
  • 5: 10 times
  • 6: 8 times
  • 7: 4 times
  • 8: 3 times
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/rank-your-top-20-players-of-all-time.451298/

* Have taken the liberty of weeding out certain out-of-whack posts/posters, like the lad who had Makélélé at 4.

Based on a rough calculation, that gives you a mean ranking of ~4.5 and a median ranking of 5, which is bloody brilliant in all fairness — as he's now considered in the same-ish, or slighter brighter, light as the likes of Di Stéfano, Beckenbauer, Cruyff — who were once considered untouchable, and surpassed by only Pelé and/or Maradona depending on who you ask, before Cirstiano and Messi made inroads into the uppermost echelon with their era-defining accomplishments and upturned a long-standing hegemony.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The "Old legends" will forever be better than the new players.
Their skills will always have been far superior to the current players even if they played against much worse opposition.

That's how the football history nerds work ;)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
One of these threads again? Football has been around for 100 years now. There are many players who should make the pantheon of the elite who some would never have heard of.

Giuseppe Meazza. Won 2 world cups. Inter Milans all time top goalscorer. Has a stadium named after him (AC/Inter stadium).

Stanley Matthews, Alfred Di Stefano, Ferenc Puskas etc. Football changes era by era and the eras arent comparable.

In another 80 years time, Messi and Ronaldo will be down the bottom of a list or forgotton by the majority of fans, as new heroes of their eras replace them.
True. Every generation needs its hero. The majority will regard whoever was the greatest when they were growing up, or as an impressionable young adult, as the greatest of all time. When you are a sponge soaking up new experiences, when you see such brilliance in front of you, it's hard to conceive of anyone ever being better.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I only thing I cannot understand is how high some people rate Fat Ronaldo as among top 5.
some people say his peak is better than cr7 Ronaldo and Messi but it was so short lived I can’t place fat Ronaldo over either of them

OleBoiii

Challenge to the ones who don't think Ronaldo is top 2 of all time.

Apart from Messi, can you find another player who fits all of the below:

1. Can match Ronaldo in terms of trophies at the highest level.
2. Can match Ronaldo in terms of goals scored at the highest level(if the player in question is an attacker).
3. Has spent as many years at the highest level as Ronaldo.
4. Has as many individual honors as Ronaldo.
5. Has been as consistent as Ronaldo.

Jericho

I wouldn't be so sure. It's not been 80 years but Pele and Maradona don't seem to be going anywhere.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He is top 3 all time without much debate at this point.

Its Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi (no order cause I don't feel like debating) and then there is everyone else.

RUCK4444

He should be classed as no1. Close thread.

No way are there five fecking players better than him. Ronnie is the GOAT.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I thought it was commonly accepted that Maradona/Pele and Messi/Ronaldo are ahead of everyone else basically?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sure, 5 mins of footage, and basically 3 or 4 years at most at worldclass level, doesn't warrant top 5 GOAT for me. He is at best maybe among top 10-12, alongside with George Best or Puskas or Garrincha. As forward, top 5 GOAT like Ronaldo, Messi, Pele has over 720-760+ goals in their career, whereas fat Ronaldo has around 400. Miles apart.

Last edited:

OleBoiii

Kind of unrelated, but is it just me or did the GOAT debate start to change dramatically around 10 years ago?

I was born in the late 80's and I feel that up until around 10 years ago, it was common knowledge that Maradona and Pele were the GOATs. No one really considered anyone else worthy of that title. Now people constantly bring up Di Stefano, Beckenbauer and Cruyff. What changed?!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Challenge to the ones who don't think Ronaldo is top 2 of all time.

Apart from Messi, can you find another player who fits all of the below:

1. Can match Ronaldo in terms of trophies at the highest level.
2. Can match Ronaldo in terms of goals scored at the highest level(if the player in question is an attacker).
3. Has spent as many years at the highest level as Ronaldo.
4. Has as many individual honors as Ronaldo.
5. Has been as consistent as Ronaldo.
Other than Messi, probably only Pele matches that.

GoldTrafford99

And the winner of most redundant thread of the year goes to.... (and it's only fecking February 3rd)

Saying Ronaldo is one of the Top Five players of all time is like saying McDonalds sell burgers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The only thing I cannot understand is how high some people rate Fat Ronaldo as among top 5.
Go on YouTube for an hour and it will make sense. At the very least, he has to be the best centre forward ever. Phenomenal player.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Some would also argue that saying "Ronaldo will go down as top 5-6 of all time" is also under rating him. My personal thoughts are the Ronaldo and Messi are 1 & 2 and there really isn't much between them. I'm not saying which order those two would be. I have my preference, but understand why others would disagree. But I don't think we will truly appreciate just how good these 2 were until well after their retirement. By that time there will be no argument when others bring up players like Pele and Maradona. As great as they were, they still only occupy 3 & 4...

Interval

Level
Cristiano is there or thereabouts. A few posters ranking him below other historically great footballers or underrating him on the basis of some personal vendetta (which is an unfortunate by-product of his rivalry with Messi) is no cause for alarm as most are simply expressing their subjective opinions, and many probably have niche preferences regarding aesthetics (you have to admit he doesn't possess the swan-like elegance of a Cruyff for example), lasting influence on the fundamentals of the game (an unwritten chapter in his case), and so forth — which improves the standing of certain giants of the sport, vis-à-vis Cristiano. For reference, this is how he was ranked in a recent-ish Redcafe thread:
  • 1: once
  • 2: 6 times
  • 3: 6 times
  • 4: 5 times
  • 5: 10 times
  • 6: 8 times
  • 7: 4 times
  • 8: 3 times
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/rank-your-top-20-players-of-all-time.451298/

* Have taken the liberty of weeding out certain out-of-whack posts/posters, like the lad who had Makélélé at 4.

Based on a rough calculation, that gives you a mean ranking of ~4.5 and a median ranking of 5, which is bloody brilliant in all fairness — as he's now considered in the same-ish, or slighter brighter, light as the likes of Di Stéfano, Beckenbauer, Cruyff — who were once considered untouchable, and surpassed by only Pelé and/or Maradona depending on who you ask, before Cirstiano and Messi made inroads into the uppermost echelon with their era-defining accomplishments and upturned a long-standing hegemony.
Thank you for a fantastic response. It's clearly my misunderstanding based on the average ranking that you provided of the past threads.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Is this even a debate? Should be in the top 4 alongside Messi, Maradona and Pele. Then it's on to the next tier.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
For me there is no debate is he a goat. Because he is not. And not even close.
In top 10 of all time? Absolutely. In top 5? Probably.
Messi and Maradona are tier alien.
C.Ronaldo is tier 1 with Pele, Cruyf, Ronaldo....

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi are all there as the greatest. Anything that follows in just personal preference.

AaronRedDevil

if and when he breaks the all time scoring record. That will do it for me. Best Ever.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Kind of unrelated, but is it just me or did the GOAT debate start to change dramatically around 10 years ago?

I was born in the late 80's and I feel that up until around 10 years ago, it was common knowledge that Maradona and Pele were the GOATs. No one really considered anyone else worthy of that title. Now people constantly bring up Di Stefano, Beckenbauer and Cruyff. What changed?!
More people started to use the internet and needed to find new ways to pass the time. Instead of being 'yep, I agree', it became :

'WELLL GHUYS, what about Franz Beckenbauer who could play anywhere on the pitch and scored several goals with his shin while nursing a bad back'.

That, I feel, is probably the honest answer.