Cristiano Ronaldo should go down as top 5-6 players of all time

RashyForPM

Top 5 or 6? He’s the ultimate GOAT! Just happy I watched him play in our red jersey. Yet another clutch moment last night with his two goals to rescue Juve to add to a never-ending list, which I don’t see stopping until he’s 42.

Smores

There's absolutely no point comparing between eras, I'd go as far as to say players should only be compared to those who played at the same time.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The only thing I cannot understand is how high some people rate Fat Ronaldo as among top 5.
Thought it would be clear to someone who so regularly ranks all their respective attributes out of 10.

But simply it’s because you prize longevity much higher than those who place Ronaldo in the top 5. And the fact people value different things in determining the GOAT is why there will never be a clear answer.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Him and Messi are 1a and 1b. Both have everything, the trophies, insane scoring numbers, consistency, longevity and pushing the bar for greatness.

Bole Top

easily one of the best Portugese wingers in the last 20 years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is top 3 all time without much debate at this point.

Its Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi (no order cause I don't feel like debating) and then there is everyone else.
:lol: Not really. Ronaldo is definitely not in an exclusive club of three considering someone called Pele is considered among any highest bracket that exists. I like the "not much debate" about him being levels above Pele.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imo, if he's not in your too five you need your head checked.
This man has been banging goals at the very highest level for 15 years. Half of the players I am seeing didn't even play at a reasonable level for that long.
He is head and shoulders the greatest goal scorer of all time. The man is a phenomenon.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Thought it would be clear to someone who so regularly ranks all their respective attributes out of 10.

But simply it’s because you prize longevity much higher than those who place Ronaldo in the top 5. And the fact people value different things in determining the GOAT is why there will never be a clear answer.
Not only that, I price everything - goals, stats, achievements, records, success, trophies, individual honours, talent, mentality, peak, length of peak, consistency, longetivity, impact on winning, overall influence in the game, legacy etc

With all things considered, fat Ronaldo is at least 1-2 tiers below the top 5.

Of course, if you ignore everything else, and consider only talent or the very peak level, then fat ronaldo maybe just as good as George Best, Garrincha or even Ronaldinho. But GOAT should includes everything, we are not only talking about the most talent player ever, but the "greatest" player ever, the really top ones. He is nowhere near the top 5 greatest or the very very top over the course of football history, far from it. He did has the potential though, but for some obvious reason, it didn't materialised.

Last edited:

Spoony

The People's President
Real Ronaldo was a breathtaking footballer. This one is a great goalscorer... especially in an era where there's more goals per game games.

youngrell

Don't really care about who the GOAT is, but I wish people would stop calling Ronaldo 'Fat Ronaldo'. A little bit of me dies inside every time I see it.

Don't @ me

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not only that, I price everything - goals, stats, achievements, records, success, trophies, individual honours, talent, mentality, peak, length of peak, consistency, longetivity, impact on winning, overall influence in the game, legacy etc

With all things considered, fat Ronaldo is at least 1-2 tiers below the top 5.

Of course, if you ignore everything else, and consider only talent or the very peak level, then fat ronaldo maybe just as good as George Best, Garrincha or even Ronaldinho. But GOAT should includes everything, we are not only talking about the most talent player ever, but the "greatest" player ever, the really top ones. He is nowhere near the top 5 greatest or the very very top over the course of football history, far from it. He did has the potential though, but for some obvious reason, it didn't materialised.
It’s still about peak v longevity.

Interesting to see where you place him and who else is ahead if he’s 1-2 tiers below the top 5.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I think it’s a top 5 in no particular order between Ronnie, Messi, Maradona, Pelé and Ashley Grimes.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi are all there as the greatest. Anything that follows in just personal preference.
I mean, you are entitled to that opinion but just to nitpick with one example (among others) — why would someone like Beckenbauer rank below them (or some other Top 3 permutation that excludes him)?
  • Greatest player of a nation that boasts the second highest number of World Cup titles and the highest number of European Championship titles.
  • Greatest player of one of the most successful European clubs, Bayern Munich — who trailed 1860 Munich‎ as the biggest club in the city before Beckenbauer (something that he helped remedy).
  • 11 times in the Top 10 of the Ballon D'Or, including twice as the winner — a testament to his consistency.
  • Utterly fantastic in every World Cup participation: in 1966 he was the best young player and the third highest overall scorer and needed special attention from Bobby Charlton at age 20, in 1970 he was again crucial in West Germany's march to the semi-final where he played with an arm sling in the The Match of the Century, and in 1974 he captained the vanquishers of the Dutch totaalvoetbal juggernaut — no other GOAT candidate won a World Cup by overcoming such a monstrous opponent.
  • Captained West Germany to the 1972 European Championship title, forming an incredibly entertaining axis with Netzer.
  • Captained his club to back-to-back-to-back European Cup titles.
  • Quite possibly the greatest defender ever and quite possibly the greatest midfielder ever, while transcending both positions/functions — no one else matches that.
  • Also quite possibly the greatest defensive strategist and playmaker ever, would orchestrate his team and games from the back in effortless fashion.
  • Aesthetically brilliant: a picture of calm, superb ball control and a delightful touch, could single-handedly transition the ball to the opposite end of the pitch.
  • Helped pioneer and optimize the graceful yet invigorating Libero archetype — even Baresi and Passarella were called Kaiser as an homage to the original Der Kaiser.
...and so forth.

You could argue that there's no real objectively defined Top 3 that can be held up as the universal gold-standard — as there's a fluid cohort of players that can all make a valid claim, and as observers we're swayed by hearsay, personal preference and other biases to varying degrees (like undervaluing massively influential/inspirational midfielders or defenders in relation to forwards).

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The problem is when you say players of all-time, it then completely ignores midfielders, defenders, or goalkeepers. Beckenbauer for example goes down as a greater player to me than CR7 for his accomplishments both at club level and internationally. If we're talking strictly forwards, then I can't see how anybody doesn't have him in the top 6.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I mean, you are entitled to that opinion but just to nitpick with one example (among others) — why would someone like Beckenbauer rank below them (or some other Top 3 permutation that excludes him)?
  • Greatest player of a nation that boasts the second highest number of World Cup titles and the highest number of European Championship titles.
  • Greatest player of one of the most successful European clubs, Bayern Munich — who trailed 1860 Munich‎ as the biggest club in the city before Beckenbauer (something that he helped remedy).
  • 11 times in the Top 10 of the Ballon D'Or, including twice as the winner — a testament to his consistency.
  • Utterly fantastic in every World Cup participation: in 1966 he was the best young player and the third highest overall scorer and needed special attention from Bobby Charlton at age 20, in 1970 he was again crucial in West Germany's march to the semi-final where he played with an arm sling in the The Match of the Century, and in 1974 he captained the vanquishers of the Dutch totaalvoetbal juggernaut — no other GOAT candidate won a World Cup by overcoming such a monstrous opponent.
  • Captained West Germany to the 1972 European Championship title, forming an incredibly entertaining axis with Netzer.
  • Captained his club to back-to-back-to-back European Cup titles.
  • Quite possibly the greatest defender ever and quite possibly the greatest midfielder ever, while transcending both positions/functions — no one else matches that.
  • Also quite possibly the greatest defensive strategist and playmaker ever, would orchestrate his team and games from the back in effortless fashion
  • Aesthetically brilliant: a picture of calm, superb ball control and a delightful touch, could single-handedly transition the ball to the opposite end of the pitch.
  • Helped pioneer and optimize the graceful yet invigorating Libero archetype — even Baresi and Passarella were called Kaiser as an homage to the original Der Kaiser.
...and so forth.

You could argue that there's no real objectively defined Top 3 that can be held up as the universal gold-standard — as there's a fluid cohort of players that can all make a valid claim, and as observers we're swayed by hearsay, personal preference and other biases to varying degrees (like undervaluing massively influential/inspirational midfielders or defenders in relation to forwards).
I was busy with something else while writing my post and then after posting I see you broke down exactly what I was thinking.

We need an rvn

He'll go down as one of the best but Beckenbauer is better than fat Ronaldo.
That's one of the oldest debates isn't it. Some of the great defenders never get mentioned as the best players in the world because the skill level is different Let's be honest, it's harder to score a goal than to defend a goal. As a defender, you've got people around you to help defend, plus a keeper to help you. So attacking players are always going to win the whole best player in the world debate because of the skill level involved.

A big debate would be who was the best leader / captain in the world ever. That means so many more defenders and midfielders would be included, but players like Maradona / Crujiff etc would still be in the debate, but others like Fat Ronaldo (who by the way I rate as the best striker ever) might still be out of the running.

RUCK4444

The only thing I cannot understand is how high some people rate Fat Ronaldo as among top 5.
Peak fat Ronaldo was insanely good.

Watch his highlights in his prime, it’s like watching FIFA in some cheat mode and in fast forward.

Nobody combined skill, power and speed quite like El Fenomeno

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
That's one of the oldest debates isn't it. Some of the great defenders never get mentioned as the best players in the world because the skill level is different Let's be honest, it's harder to score a goal than to defend a goal. As a defender, you've got people around you to help defend, plus a keeper to help you. So attacking players are always going to win the whole best player in the world debate because of the skill level involved.
The thing about Beckenbauer is that he's not valued that highly for simply defending. He was the epitome of the playmaking/attacking libero (plus a historically great central midfielder earlier in his career). He had the skills and ability to run a game of an all-time great playmaker, only playing from a deeper position.

@Invictus' post above sums him up nicely.

Tom8700

Supports
Bayern
Well no one can deny that. He is by far the most accomplished player in history. No one has such a combination of both team and individual success.

DoomSlayer

Honestly, maybe something is wrong with me, but I don't get impressed at all with this footage. I'm pretty certain you can find quite a few similar highlights from Cristiano, plus a lot more.

Don't get me wrong, Fenomeno was one of a kind but people really are being unfair on the players in the new era due to emotional bias. Put Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi in this type of old football matches and they would annihilate teams. What this video shows is what Messi and CR7 were doing almost every game for about 10 years. It's just a totally different level.

padr81

Supports
Man City
By top 5 or 6 you mean top 2 and thats touch and go with Leo for no.1.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
And Luis Ronaldo isn't a top 10 player, and neither is he, the undisputed best center forward.
We could argue, but the likes of Romario, Van Basten, Eusebio, Gred Muller and so on are all in the conversation. And top 10 all time lists aren't about ability, but a combination of many factors.

arnie_ni

Real Ronaldo was a breathtaking footballer. This one is a great goalscorer... especially in an era where there's more goals per game games.
This Ronaldo turned into a great goalscorer halfway through his career after being a breathtaking footballer. At a similar point of his career fat Ronaldo retired injured.

To call this Ronaldo just a great goalscorer is outright incorrect

GameOn

He is top 3 all time without much debate at this point.

Its Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi (no order cause I don't feel like debating) and then there is everyone else.
No, just no.

I rank players like Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruyff comfortably ahead of Cristiano.

DoomSlayer

This Ronaldo turned into a great goalscorer halfway through his career after being a breathtaking footballer. At a similar point of his career fat Ronaldo retired injured.

To call this Ronaldo just a great goalscorer is outright incorrect
I mean, it's not like he just got garbage at everything apart from goalscoring, CR7 was both a breathtaking footballer and a genuis-level goalscorer at the same time for about 6-7 seasons. The amount of underrating of his abilities and achievements on the pitch is just criminal.

I bet if people were watching every second of every game from their old school idols, their whole idea about football would change. It's like these legends of the past played all the time just as good as their highlights shows it. Kind of laughable, honestly.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The best footballer of all time is between Baresi and Yashin. The best forward is Platini for some reason. I am worth listening to.

arnie_ni

I mean, it's not like he just got garbage at everything apart from goalscoring, CR7 was both a breathtaking footballer and a genuis-level goalscorer at the same time for about 6-7 seasons. The amount of underrating of his abilities and achievements on the pitch is just criminal.

I bet if people were watching every second of every game from their old school idols, their whole idea about football would change. It's like these legends of the past played all the time just as good as their highlights shows it. Kind of laughable, honestly.
I might understand it on a say, inter Milan board, but the Ronaldo that played for us was sensational and a hell of a lot more than just a goalscorer.

He changed his entire play style as he got older and reinveted himself